IGNORED

Bontrager Christmas play is disgustingly anti-Semetic

ladyamylynn

9 hours ago, GeoBQn said:

I'm not sure how much improved Holocaust education would help the Bontragers, since they homeschool.  They probably would react like the Duggars, who left the US Holocaust Museum DC thinking about how abortion is evil.  Somewhere on the forum is a link to an article about how many people leave the museum feeling like it reinforced their own world views.

I'm thinking more broadly than just the Botragers. She said that six or seven people, plus the pastor of the church, wrote this dreck. Presumably even more people knew about the plot and some got the chance to read the script when they held auditions. Someone, at some point in time, should have thought "wow, this is a bad idea" or "maybe we should bring in some help to make sure we don't insult people."  You're completely right, no one in the congregation grasped how insulting this was, I just want to believe there's a way to address this somehow so it doesn't happen again. I fully. realize I'm grasping at straws. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Also, when the Muslim ban was happening (and we will make damn sure it doesn't keep happening) and they were saying "oh, Christians there are so persecuted so they get priority", I wanted to scream, because yes, there are a lot of Christians who have had to flee and/or have suffered horrific persecution (actual persecution, not just "what do you mean I can't be a dick to gay people?"), but you didn't give a flying fuck about them until you needed to justify this obviously xenophobic, bigoted policy. You probably still don't because they're not The Right Kind of Christian.

Plus if the persecuted Christians came from I dunno, Somalia, or any of the other countries on the list - or if they were even dual citizens with somewhere like the UK, and coming from London, they'd be banned too! Someone who was born in Somalia, had refugee status in the UK, where they'd arrived at 4 years old, and had converted to Christianity - they're not allowed in either!

Not that it's worse for non-Muslims than Muslims under the ban, of course, just that it matters more to the Good Upstanding Christians more.  All those Muslims fleeing persecution and worse, for being the wrong kind of Muslim - or because they were gay, or had worked as translators for the US government?  They're less-than Human.  People who've lived and worked and paid taxes in the States, and brought up children born in the USA, who just happened to be out of the country to I dunno, present at a conference, visit family, or just have a holiday?  They all deserve it!

Aaaargh, it makes me so angry!  So, change of pace....

2 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I want to write and perform the second one just to watch their heads explode.

Which animals would you include in your play?  And where would the gold lamé and showtunes come in?

11 hours ago, Lurky said:

Plus if the persecuted Christians came from I dunno, Somalia, or any of the other countries on the list - or if they were even dual citizens with somewhere like the UK, and coming from London, they'd be banned too! Someone who was born in Somalia, had refugee status in the UK, where they'd arrived at 4 years old, and had converted to Christianity - they're not allowed in either!

Not that it's worse for non-Muslims than Muslims under the ban, of course, just that it matters more to the Good Upstanding Christians more.  All those Muslims fleeing persecution and worse, for being the wrong kind of Muslim - or because they were gay, or had worked as translators for the US government?  They're less-than Human.  People who've lived and worked and paid taxes in the States, and brought up children born in the USA, who just happened to be out of the country to I dunno, present at a conference, visit family, or just have a holiday?  They all deserve it!

Which animals would you include in your play?  And where would the gold lamé and showtunes come in?

This works for me...., Showtunes, gays and lame...,,,  

12 hours ago, Lurky said:

Gold lamé niqabs. I'll work in Mean Green Mutha From Outer Space (on a Little Shop of Horrors kick) somehow.

• 1 year later...
On 2/13/2017 at 7:56 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Now I'm very curious about next years play. We shall see if they rewrite or just don't post much about it on the blog.

So...did they do one at the end of 2017, or were they too involved with Chelsy and John's wedding to participate?

Archived