IGNORED

Jinger and Jeremy - Social Media Silence

choralcrusader8613

On 2/21/2017 at 0:55 AM, Shadoewolf said:

PCOS stands for poly-cystic ovarian syndrome.  Hormone imbalances cause cysts to develop on and in ovaries, making ovulation and getting pregnant more difficult. The cysts can also get rather large, and sometimes if the cysts rupture it can cause excrutiating pain. Certain meds can help but it's usually a tough road. 

Not to mention all the embarrassing hair growth and acne. :(

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather marry Ben than Jeremy, tbh.  Jessa has a lot more influence in her home than Jinger ever will.  Ben is a doofus, but in my personal experience, that comes with the territory of being a man in his early 20s.  He might grow out of that, but he will probably keep his core personality traits, one of which seems to be being reasonably pliable and willing to take direction.

When the patriarchy gets REALLY scary, I feel, is when the headships become mini-dictatorships. See: Steve Maxwell, PP, Michael Pearl, etc.: "preachers" who feel they have ALL the answers and cannot be questioned.

There are plenty of lovely Christian women who get their masters. Even more who get their BA/BS.  Even more who come with helpful skills such as a previous mastery of a foreign tongue.  But Jeremy, despite having easy access to those sorts of women, sought out meek, shy, servant, undereducated Jinger.  

Whenever someone who has many advantages specifically seeks out someone who lacks those, I always have to suspect it's a power play.  Jeremy doesn't want a partner. He doesn't want a Jessa, even.  He wants a meek wife who will follow his lead no matter what, even if it goes down to crazy town.  He wants someone he can control without issue.

Maybe it will be a happy marriage and maybe Jinger feels more comfortable with a strong leader. I hope so.  But I'm not about to call him a catch or the best Duggar spouse.  Jeremy worries me, and Jinger could end up the next Teri Maxwell or Debi Pearl: giving up Pepsi and praying for pizza. 

9 hours ago, EmmyJay said:

I have heard from some women that the shape keeps the nail from breaking off as easily. I'm not sure how true that is, as I've never done acrylics.

Nope. Mine don't break, are practically indestructible. The shape is strictly a fashion preference for now.

38 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

I'd rather marry Ben than Jeremy, tbh.  Jessa has a lot more influence in her home than Jinger ever will.  Ben is a doofus, but in my personal experience, that comes with the territory of being a man in his early 20s.  He might grow out of that, but he will probably keep his core personality traits, one of which seems to be being reasonably pliable and willing to take direction.

When the patriarchy gets REALLY scary, I feel, is when the headships become mini-dictatorships. See: Steve Maxwell, PP, Michael Pearl, etc.: "preachers" who feel they have ALL the answers and cannot be questioned.

There are plenty of lovely Christian women who get their masters. Even more who get their BA/BS.  Even more who come with helpful skills such as a previous mastery of a foreign tongue.  But Jeremy, despite having easy access to those sorts of women, sought out meek, shy, servant, undereducated Jinger.  

Whenever someone who has many advantages specifically seeks out someone who lacks those, I always have to suspect it's a power play.  Jeremy doesn't want a partner. He doesn't want a Jessa, even.  He wants a meek wife who will follow his lead no matter what, even if it goes down to crazy town.  He wants someone he can control without issue.

Maybe it will be a happy marriage and maybe Jinger feels more comfortable with a strong leader. I hope so.  But I'm not about to call him a catch or the best Duggar spouse.  Jeremy worries me, and Jinger could end up the next Teri Maxwell or Debi Pearl: giving up Pepsi and praying for pizza. 

I agree. Ben has actually shown mild open mindedness several times. I can't imagine him running roughshod over a woman even if she was meek. Jeremy or even Derick seem very set in their ways and domineering. It's fine if that's what you'd like (I personally like a stubborn, highly opinionated partner myself), but I'm 200% able to stand up for my needs and voice my opinion. Are the Duggar girls? 

Nail tech here so I'm enjoying this thread drift! 

Add me to the "doubtful but mildly hopeful" group for Jeremy. He always seems so weirded out when Jinger is adoringly gazing up at him, also he looks exhausted in that pointless TLC sit down video. 

I have some hope that they will spend more time with his friends and their wives who seem more "worldly" than the usual Duggar hangers-on. However, I'm suspicious of anybody who allows themselves to be featured on the shitshow.

2 hours ago, Georgiana said:

The thing I worry about is Ben working for Jboob and being constantly at the duggar compound is that he's going to be taking all his direction from JB, not Jessa. 

At least Jinger is far away and Jeremy's family seems pretty normal. When she's not with I would think she has more freedom, no siblings coming over for a sleep over (aka babysitting). 

4 minutes ago, Bim said:

The thing I worry about is Ben working for Jboob and being constantly at the duggar compound is that he's going to be taking all his direction from JB, not Jessa. 

At least Jinger is far away and Jeremy's family seems pretty normal. When she's not with I would think she has more freedom, no siblings coming over for a sleep over (aka babysitting). 

I think this swings both ways.  While many fundie families are wayyyy too enmeshed, Ben does give Jessa easy and continual access to her primary support system.  JB is not the greatest, but he does seem to have genuine love for his daughters.  I don't think he would tolerate Ben treating Jessa poorly, and in any case, the amount of time they spend with her family would make it easier for her to reach out if she needed to or for her family to notice something is wrong and intervene.  For Jessa, she could return to the TTH pretty easily (and probably without notice) if she needed to.  Sure there are downsides, but Jessa has a power  base and an easy way out if she needs it.

Meanwhile, JB and the Duggars have limited to no influence over Jeremy or Derrick. They're so far away, it's easier to hide things from the Duggars. It's harder for Jill or Jinger to reach out.  It's a massive logistical effort and would certainly be a media circus if they were to try to return to the TTH.  They're powerless socially, likely financially, and probably have nowhere to go.  If their headships make a decision they don't like, there's no redress and nowhere to go. Which is why jill is heading back to Central America. Because she has no practical choice.

Now, I don't think that there is any abuse going on. However, there is a reason abusers do their best to isolate their partners from their family: because it makes the partner weaker and easier to control.  I'm just saying, the move and distance are not unequivocally a good thing. 

17 minutes ago, Bim said:

When she's not with I would think she has more freedom, no siblings coming over for a sleep over (aka babysitting). 

Amen! If memory serves me correctly, Jenny spent the night at Jill and Derelict's place two nights after they returned home from their honeymoon. If you do the math, baby Palestine was conceived within a day or two of that. 

Even if two people who had just gotten married (and had never lived together prior to the nuptials) insisted on inviting my child to spend the night, I would firmly decline the invitation. At least for the first month. Give the newlyweds some privacy. Ma and Pa Duggar don't get that. 

Total thread drift here but somewhat relevant to the whole sex ed thing.  Tonight my 9 year old daughter asked me about  what "period" means after seeing an ad for pads.  After some probing on my end she explained someone at school mentioned a "period pad" in the restroom at school.  I figured if she's old enough to have questions, she deserves an honest explanation.  Soooo...period talk led to questions about sex. I referred to it as reproduction  and she asked me if that's the same as sex and if sex means the same as "sleeping together". I was a bit taken aback but tried to answer her questions honestly and in an age appropriate manner.  She asked me about various  animals "mating" and if it's the same for people lol.  Once we were done chatting and I chugged a glass of wine, I made sure she knew she could come to me with any questions she might have, and that she should never feel embarrassed when it comes to her body or questions about it.  The point of this was just to say that I had a moment of sadness for all of the Duggar daughters knowing that they most definitely never had a frank conversation with their mom or probably even each other about things like periods and sex.   I don't know why it made me so sad but it did.  

4 hours ago, WhyNotJulie said:

THANK YOU FOR SAYING THIS. I have the Skyla and i'm getting it inserted tomorrow and I was sort of freaked out because of all the horror stories I've heard about the pain.... I have a very high pain tolerance and I'm not too too worried... but it's nice to hear someone say it wasn't that bad!

Good luck tomorrow!  I got my Mirena inserted almost two years ago, and I did find it uncomfortable. I have a low pain tolerance though. It made me lightheaded and my doctor told me that that was something that was normal. I also had some moderately bad cramping the next day, but was fine after that. It really wasn't that terrible and has been totally worth the discomfort to get it in. 

Two years in, I only get spotting and no PMS symptoms, but I would still consider my cramping moderate. It is worse than when I was on the Nuvaring but not so bad as when I was taking no birth control at all. 

I hope all goes well for you tomorrow! Good luck!

1 hour ago, CinnaJen said:

Total thread drift here but somewhat relevant to the whole sex ed thing.  Tonight my 9 year old daughter asked me about  what "period" means after seeing an ad for pads.  After some probing on my end she explained someone at school mentioned a "period pad" in the restroom at school.  I figured if she's old enough to have questions, she deserves an honest explanation.  Soooo...period talk led to questions about sex. I referred to it as reproduction  and she asked me if that's the same as sex and if sex means the same as "sleeping together". I was a bit taken aback but tried to answer her questions honestly and in an age appropriate manner.  She asked me about various  animals "mating" and if it's the same for people lol.  Once we were done chatting and I chugged a glass of wine, I made sure she knew she could come to me with any questions she might have, and that she should never feel embarrassed when it comes to her body or questions about it.  The point of this was just to say that I had a moment of sadness for all of the Duggar daughters knowing that they most definitely never had a frank conversation with their mom or probably even each other about things like periods and sex.   I don't know why it made me so sad but it did.  

This can be such an uncomfortable subject for some of us parents, so good job on persisting anyway! I would have never dreamt of asking my mom questions about sex or anything. I didn't tell her when I got my period and I damn sure hid it from her when I lost my virginity. I really wasn't comfortable talking to my daughter about sex either but I tried. She's way more comfortable with these talks than I am, so I guess I've done something right! When I was about 12 and my mom got me some book about the facts of life, I had long since used my own resourcefulness to figure most of it out and would have been far too embarrassed to have her know that I read the book anyway. My daughter, on the other hand, when I got her this good book when she was about 8 or 9, she sat down in the living room and immediately started reading it, yelling out questions to me in the next room, such as, "Mom! Do you use tampons or pads?" :pb_lol:

It is indeed a sad situation when parents and children can't be open about these things.

ETA: Forgot the funniest story about this book. It explains how bra sizes are measured, and so my skinny, nowhere near puberty daughter decided to measure. Well, I don't know how she measured but I think her method was a bit flawed. She came to me all excited, saying, "Mom! I found out my bra size! 34D!" I had to work so hard to keep a straight face.

On 2/15/2017 at 2:58 PM, nst said:

I may be hovering but I am still a childbearing female 

and I have no clue what you are saying. 

but hey that's me :D

my NOSE looks different pregnant of all things!    But I'm not sure if it did my first pregnancy.    But definitely and early sign with subsequent pregnancies (three children, plus multiple early miscarriages)

4 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Next Post Title: Giving up Pepsi and Praying for Pizza.

6 hours ago, WhyNotJulie said:

THANK YOU FOR SAYING THIS. I have the Skyla and i'm getting it inserted tomorrow and I was sort of freaked out because of all the horror stories I've heard about the pain.... I have a very high pain tolerance and I'm not too too worried... but it's nice to hear someone say it wasn't that bad!

Yeah I try not to go online and look stuff up about medical procedures because no on writes their blog post saying "Got my skyla and everything went normal." Just like no one writes a baby blog about all of their 100% normal births. People write articles and whatnot about really, really good stuff or really, really bad stuff. I had never known anyone with an IUD so I sorta went in blind. I don't know if I tolerate pain well, but I've had cramps worse. Twisting my ankle and breaking my arm both hurt worse.

The pain was just... weird. I have never experienced anything like it. Ever. When they first dilated my cervix it took the breath away from me for sure, and then it was just an ache and a few seconds of sharpness. They asked if I wanted numbing shots and I said no. And I do not regret that at all. I'm not afraid of needles, but looking back, the pain wasn't bad enough to warrant them sticking needles into my vagina. But, ymmv of course.

The only weird part was that I was in this tiny room and there was a doctor, two nurses, and a dude in plainclothes taking notes and then they had another doctor come in because I was too small and he wanted another doctor to take over. So a total of 6 people including me. I jokingly asked if they were selling tickets to the show in the break room.

They put on some soothing music for me and the guy taking notes chatted with me for a while. The whole thing lasted about 30 minutes and I drove myself home after. I took an aspirin, heated up my heat pad and watched Netflix and napped for a few hours. My first period after was about half as long as my usual ones. Then it tapered off to spotting. That sucked because I spotted on and off for about a month. Nothing crazy. Just enough to ruin a few pairs of cute undies on accident when I thought it was over. 10/10 would do again. And again. And again. 

I hope everything goes okay and I hope you are happy with it. I'm ecstatic with mine. It really takes a load off my mind. I know that there is a small percent that it could fail, but I know it won't be because of something I did, and that is not something I can say about the pill or the nuvaring. But that's just a personal thing.

I had a bad experience with the Mirena. I found putting it in was painful and I had a really heavy period after. About 6 weeks later I developed insomnia and depression, which lasted several months. I think I'm sensitive to progesterone- depo provera also gave me insomnia and the mini-pill gave me a heavy period.

It did eventually settle down but while I was taking it I developed pelvic pain - which is a separate issue. I had the Mirena removed after 18 months. My body seems much happier on a combination birth control pill. Everyone is very individual in their reactions to meds!

1 hour ago, PainfullyAware said:

I had a bad experience with the Mirena. I found putting it in was painful and I had a really heavy period after. About 6 weeks later I developed insomnia and depression, which lasted several months. I think I'm sensitive to progesterone- depo provera also gave me insomnia and the mini-pill gave me a heavy period.

It did eventually settle down but while I was taking it I developed pelvic pain - which is a separate issue. I had the Mirena removed after 18 months. My body seems much happier on a combination birth control pill. Everyone is very individual in their reactions to meds!

Same! I hated my mirena. I vasovagaled when they put it in and then had terrible bleeding and cramping forever. Tolerated it a year. I now use the pill with no issues. However, tons of people have great experiences with Mirenas/IUDs. You just can't tell how someone will tolerate the insertion. I've had patients that have never even had a pelvic get them with zero issues and patients that have had vaginal births find the insertion unbearable. The magical journey of contraception.

7 hours ago, CinnaJen said:

6 hours ago, Coy Koi said:

This can be such an uncomfortable subject for some of us parents, so good job on persisting anyway! I would have never dreamt of asking my mom questions about sex or anything. I didn't tell her when I got my period and I damn sure hid it from her when I lost my virginity. I really wasn't comfortable talking to my daughter about sex either but I tried. She's way more comfortable with these talks than I am, so I guess I've done something right! When I was about 12 and my mom got me some book about the facts of life, I had long since used my own resourcefulness to figure most of it out and would have been far too embarrassed to have her know that I read the book anyway. My daughter, on the other hand, when I got her this good book when she was about 8 or 9, she sat down in the living room and immediately started reading it, yelling out questions to me in the next room, such as, "Mom! Do you use tampons or pads?" :pb_lol:

It is indeed a sad situation when parents and children can't be open about these things.

ETA: Forgot the funniest story about this book. It explains how bra sizes are measured, and so my skinny, nowhere near puberty daughter decided to measure. Well, I don't know how she measured but I think her method was a bit flawed. She came to me all excited, saying, "Mom! I found out my bra size! 34D!" I had to work so hard to keep a straight face.

I know no parent looks forward to these talks and it kind of signals that their child is growing up. Both you ladies did fabulous. What an important thing that these girls miss out on. It's shocking, but not surprising that these girls are left in the dark about their own bodies. Their parents are cowards for leaving them ignorant about these subjects and not even giving them reading material or a library card.  I can imagine Mullet saying something about it being all eve's fault and women dirty and have to bare her cross because of it and sending them off to the prayer closet to deeply pray the sin away. 

These people are insanely confusing on with their messages to their children. Dry humping, constantly talking about sex, and teaching them to chart their mom's cycle, yet when it comes to their bodies/reproduction that is a non talked about subject. Just remembering back to early teens and most kids in the real unduggar world with parents like these are the ones out there experimenting quite young.

My suggestion is to start taking about their body, babies and sex from when they are very young and have no idea it is supposed to be embassing. Of course you have to adjust the conversation to age but if you have always talked about it, they will be more likely to feel comfortable asking you questions. At the very least, make sure your kid knows the name of their genitals and for the other sex. My daughter learned "snippa" (the word used in Sweden to describe vulva and vagina) the same relaxed way she learned "arm", it was just another body part. After that I have been giving her more information when she asked about my menstrual cup I gave her a first insight into periods (she was about 2.5 at the time), when she noticed pregnant bellies I told her a bit about pregnancy and when she was getting a baby brother of her own I told her more and about sperms and eggs. She never asked how the sperms get in there so I am saving that part for now. I think that question will come soon, she loves nature shows...

11 hours ago, SweetFellowshipper said:

I agree. Ben has actually shown mild open mindedness several times. I can't imagine him running roughshod over a woman even if she was meek. Jeremy or even Derick seem very set in their ways and domineering. It's fine if that's what you'd like (I personally like a stubborn, highly opinionated partner myself), but I'm 200% able to stand up for my needs and voice my opinion. Are the Duggar girls? 

Totally agree. And the fact that Ben picked Jessa, but also decided to stay with Jessa after getting to know her considering she is pretty strong willed, suggests some respect toward women. Given his young age and some of his evolving beliefs, he may yet surprise us. Like I'm not talking liberalism  here but he may be the most open minded of the spouses.

I still have hope for Jeremy. What makes me optimistic is that he did seem to look for things that made Jinger an individual such as her love of the big city and coffee. That's more than I can say for Derick who tailored everything to their meeting in Nepal - which was ultimately about him. I'm reluctant to rule him seeking her for being "meek and simple" as necessarily easy to mold rather than seeing those as evidence as godliness. Frankly in my mind these fundies are looking for a "godly" girl which translates to sheltered virgin raised with their shared belief system. After that it's them just looking at who they are most physically attracted to and I suspect Jinger met criteria for him. He also probably likes fame and thought it could raise the profile of his church, but their limited social media presence makes me even question this as someone who was strategic about that would have been exploiting this already. 

2 hours ago, elliha said:

My suggestion is to start taking about their body, babies and sex from when they are very young and have no idea it is supposed to be embassing. Of course you have to adjust the conversation to age but if you have always talked about it, they will be more likely to feel comfortable asking you questions. At the very least, make sure your kid knows the name of their genitals and for the other sex. My daughter learned "snippa" (the word used in Sweden to describe vulva and vagina) the same relaxed way she learned "arm", it was just another body part. After that I have been giving her more information when she asked about my menstrual cup I gave her a first insight into periods (she was about 2.5 at the time), when she noticed pregnant bellies I told her a bit about pregnancy and when she was getting a baby brother of her own I told her more and about sperms and eggs. She never asked how the sperms get in there so I am saving that part for now. I think that question will come soon, she loves nature shows...

Thanks for this! I'm going to try and follow this advice with my daughter - she's only two months, so I don't need to really be concerned about explaining things yet. But I'm going to keep this in mind when she is older.

8 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Thanks for this! I'm going to try and follow this advice with my daughter - she's only two months, so I don't need to really be concerned about explaining things yet. But I'm going to keep this in mind when she is older.

I did this with my kids, and my 17 year old daughter will talk to me about EVERYTHING, her friends used to be horrified by the things she would ask and my always honest answer, they are used to it now.  My son is introverted by he will talk to his dad about sex, they talked about condoms and consent. It was awkward at 1st but it isn't anymore. 

7 hours ago, LaPeleona said:

Same! I hated my mirena. I vasovagaled when they put it in and then had terrible bleeding and cramping forever. Tolerated it a year. I now use the pill with no issues. However, tons of people have great experiences with Mirenas/IUDs. You just can't tell how someone will tolerate the insertion. I've had patients that have never even had a pelvic get them with zero issues and patients that have had vaginal births find the insertion unbearable. The magical journey of contraception.

I got my mirena inserted three years ago, and I expected it to be really painful based on what I had read online, but I was seriously underwhelmed.  The doctor ordered some kind of painkiller for me to take half an hour before the insertion, and that probably helped a lot.  It was really fast, there was just the doctor and her assistant in the room, it felt like one moderately bad cramp and then it was over.  Slightly tender the rest of the day, but that was it.  And I usually find it really uncomfortable to have my cervix touched at all, whether during sex or a pelvic exam.

I wonder if the people who had such painful experiences were doing it without pain medicine? It seemed to be standard at my doctor's office. But of course everyone's body is different, especially about these kinds of things. Just wanted to share my not-traumatic story. :)

14 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I'd rather marry Ben than Jeremy, tbh.  Jessa has a lot more influence in her home than Jinger ever will.  Ben is a doofus, but in my personal experience, that comes with the territory of being a man in his early 20s.  

Really? Hmm, once again it's interesting how differently we "read" these couples.
To me Jeremy and Jinger seem head over heels in love. He appears to like her, as opposed to just liking her family, their status and what that can do for him. They seem compatible and he actually seems to "be there", kind and intelligent.
Ben looks like a high schools stoner: half asleep and with the patriarchal-christian version of "Beavis and Butthead"-humour. 

If I had to choose between Ben and Jeremy - Ben, absolutely. I get a really creepy vibe from Jeremy that I don't like at all. Ben is not someone I would actually want to be married to, either, but if there was a gun held to my head and I had to choose one of them, I wouldn't even hesitate. Ben.

I have mostly kept up with the "pull out method" (not a method) thread drift and haven't seen anything about HPV. I was diagnosed when I was a teen and had to have 2 surgeries in my 20s to remove pre-cancerous lesions, a nice name for genetal warts. Left untreated, that is how you end up with cervical cancer. Nothing to lol about. HPV is the most common STD.  Yuck. I got my kid vaccinated with Guardisil. 

And it's asymptomatic in women which is why regular ob/gyn visits are important if you are sexually active @VeganCupcake  

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived