IGNORED

Jinger and Jeremy - Social Media Silence

choralcrusader8613

11 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

Since there is no official state religion in the U.S. how does one become an official priest? Is there an official path to be taken?

It depends on the denomination. MOST mainline denominations require at least a Master's of Divinity or something similar. However, there are people like PeePee who have no academic credentials and they can open a church...

In my church, our pastor has a wall full of academic sheepskins from well known schools. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I hope they're having a great time, but I'd really rather not speculate on the details of their sex life.

Sorry Sing. I just can't help it when it comes to the Duggars. I know they should be treated like "regular" people and that's just what I'm doing. I hope everyone who appears to be happy in a relationship is having GREAT sex! I mean less face it...isn't it what they wait for. Ok I know sex isn't everything, but I bet some folks look forward to it. Eyes wicking.

6 hours ago, eveandadam said:

I would be interested in how the formal/official education process in the U.S. looks like to become a real preacher/priest. I (think I) know in Germany it is a 5 -7 year study program at a university, finishing with a Bachelor's AND Master's degree in catholic or protestant religion/philosophy plus 2 years of a priest seminar within the state church, is that right?

Since there is no official state religion in the U.S. how does one become an official priest? Is there an official path to be taken?

It wildly varies depending on what religion/denomination. Harvard, Columbia, and I think a few of the Jesuit universities (Fordham, Georgetown) have very well-regarded and rigorous divinity schools, and I know that becoming a rabbi takes years of very intensive study, but there are also denominations where anyone with enough persuasive skills and enough cash to rent out some venue space can call themselves a preacher.

7 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

It wildly varies depending on what religion/denomination. Harvard, Columbia, and I think a few of the Jesuit universities (Fordham, Georgetown) have very well-regarded and rigorous divinity schools, and I know that becoming a rabbi takes years of very intensive study, but there are also denominations where anyone with enough persuasive skills and enough cash to rent out some venue space can call themselves a preacher.

6 hours ago, feministxtian said:

It depends on the denomination. MOST mainline denominations require at least a Master's of Divinity or something similar. However, there are people like PeePee who have no academic credentials and they can open a church...

In my church, our pastor has a wall full of academic sheepskins from well known schools. 

Thank you so much :my_smile:

11 hours ago, Kendra Ackerman said:

I don't mean to sound rude but I really hope she isn't pregnant and will wait to have a baby... she's so young, and I know women in that cult get married and pregnant younger but it is still hard to grasp as she looks young, as does Joy. However, I think them not posting on social media is a good sign since pretty much everyone in that family is an attention whore

I would say SOME of the family are in your face attention whores, Famy, Jessa & Ben, Jill & Derrick, DQ, Boob, Josh (not so much now but before) Jana, JD & Joe are NOT. Jinger seems more of a go with the flow (by flow I mean Jessa & now Jeremy) Joy & Si seem more outgoing than attention seeking and the rest of the kids are hard to tell because they are so young.

Jana, JD, and Joe are not married yet. Jessa and Jill only got on social media and started getting their own spreads in People, etc. when they were officially courting and close to being engaged (or already engaged). It's easy to project certain qualities onto them when you rarely see them (like Jana supposedly being more intelligent than her siblings. Uhh... no comment). I don't think we'll know whether they're 'attention whores' or not until and if they get on social media.

12 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Each denomination sets their own standards.  I know for PCUSA Presbyterian and ELCA Lutheran, you get a bachelor's in whatever from a regular college, then apply to seminary.  The seminary program for ELCA here is 4 years, one of which is an internship.  Near the end of seminary you go before a candidacy committee who will approve you for ordination.  So it's a very standardized, developed process requiring quite a lot of education.  

A lot of these store-front preachers are 'nondenominational' meaning that they don't answer to any larger church organization and don't have any sort of education or qualifications beyond being able to convince a few people that they have something to say.  

1 minute ago, faraway said:

So is it normal for Baptist priests to not need a formal education or is it just the "independent" ones where it doesn't matter? 

I think it's just the independent ones. Southern Baptists have seminaries for preachers, and all the Southern Baptist preachers I know of have some kind of seminary degree.

6 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I would say SOME of the family are in your face attention whores, Famy, Jessa & Ben, Jill & Derrick, DQ, Boob, Josh (not so much now but before) Jana, JD & Joe are NOT. Jinger seems more of a go with the flow (by flow I mean Jessa & now Jeremy) Joy & Si seem more outgoing than attention seeking and the rest of the kids are hard to tell because they are so young.

hehe, I agree with that, especially Jinger "going with the flow". She does seem to not have an opinion on anything at all, which is sometimes hard to watch and kind of getting on my nerves.

BUT: I said in another thread that Jinger's indecisiveness may be due to her not being able to get what she really wants because of circumstances, so she is left with all the options she doesn't really want, hence the "I don't care, I'll do whatever Jessa, JB, Jeremy want" attitude.

51 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

I think it's just the independent ones. Southern Baptists have seminaries for preachers, and all the Southern Baptist preachers I know of have some kind of seminary degree.

Some Independent Baptist preachers have degrees. But, since the churches are independent of each other there's no central authority. I know of three IFB preachers who have impeccable academic credentials here locally. However, because there is no central authority, some idiot like peepee can start a "church" with impunity. 

Just now, feministxtian said:

Some Independent Baptist preachers have degrees. But, since the churches are independent of each other there's no central authority. I know of three IFB preachers who have impeccable academic credentials here locally. However, because there is no central authority, some idiot like peepee can start a "church" with impunity. 

Thanks! I'm not as familiar with how IFB works on that side, so that was helpful to find out. :)

2 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Thanks! I'm not as familiar with how IFB works on that side, so that was helpful to find out. :)

In reality, we just started attending an IFB church here...why? Well, let's start with they don't have a rock band...I could NOT deal with a rock concert on Sunday morning. Second, it's a much smaller congregation...about 700 people. The church we used to attend was a "megachurch". Third, they are active in the community...I know many here may not agree with some of what they do, and that's fine, but it takes a helluva lot of nerve to start setting up activities for kids and teens in one of the highest crime apartment complexes in the area. Its also not a "lilly white" congregation. They also provide referrals and financial help for medical care, bills, and are active in helping the homeless. Our old church, the "megachurch"...not on your life. They also have mission trips down to Mexico 4 times a year to build houses, dig wells, they bring clothes and other items down for the people. They also assist with an orphanage there. 

So...if you want to blast me for going to an IFB church...blast away!!!

21 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

Second, it's a much smaller congregation...about 700 people.

I will not slam you for attending an IFB church.  Just like any religion, I believe the IFB has been painted with a broad brush. Certainly there are exceptions to every stereotype out there.... :)

I am impressed with a 700 person congregation - we have 120 at the Methodist church I work at - and that seems HUGE.

On 2/15/2017 at 9:29 PM, fluffernutter said:

We used that method for awhile. She's now at college. :laughing-rollingred:

Omg I'm scared LOL I use the pullout method only. My bf seems extremely confident with it though and I know he for sure does not want a kid. WE are kids. 

Every time a discussion about IFB churches pops up, I have to take a moment to recommend the book I Fired God, by Jocelyn Zichterman. I should also add a trigger/content warning, as there are depictions of all kinds of abuse (animal, child, and sexual). But it's a really interesting, intimate look at IFB churches. One more caveat: that I for Independent is pretty meaningful, and there can be a number of differences between one church and the next.

Just now, amandaaries said:

Every time a discussion about IFB churches pops up, I have to take a moment to recommend the book I Fired God, by Jocelyn Zichterman. I should also add a trigger/content warning, as there are depictions of all kinds of abuse (animal, child, and sexual). But it's a really interesting, intimate look at IFB churches. One more caveat: that I for Independent is pretty meaningful, and there can be a number of differences between one church and the next.

I LOVED this book for opening up my eyes to the abuse of the IFB. I knew that women were second class citizens but I didn't realize how far they really went. It was shocking but in a fascinating way. 

Omg I'm scared LOL I use the pullout method only. My bf seems extremely confident with it though and I know he for sure does not want a kid. WE are kids. 

Just an FYI, which you likely know...pulling out is NOT a safe plan if you really don't want kids. An IUD might be worth investigating if children aren't wanted in the immediate future.

12 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

Just an FYI, which you likely know...pulling out is NOT a safe plan if you really don't want kids. An IUD might be worth investigating if children aren't wanted in the immediate future.

Or condoms

Yeah, the pull-out method is a great way to get pregnant. i.e. never, ever use it as birth control, no matter how confident your partner is, unless you would be okay with a pregnancy right now. If you can't do hormones, I believe condoms + spermicide (so long as you're using them, and using them right, every time) is almost as effective as the pill. If he doesn't like condoms, tough luck. He can suck it up or have a vasectomy (sorry, I'm not super sympathetic to men who whine about condoms when they're not the ones who have to deal with pregnancy or the side effects of hormonal birth control).

And if you're worried about having that conversation/need to go on the down low - injection, implant, IUD - all long term reversible contraception which he doesn't need to know about/deal with.

5 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Yeah, the pull-out method is a great way to get pregnant. i.e. never, ever use it as birth control

Child number one is my own failure with bc pills, child number two is 'pull out' failure, child number three is...we were drunk :obscene-drinkingfaded: LOL

1 hour ago, VeganCupcake said:

Um no, just no. No method is 100% effective but you can be close with the right type of birth control, used correctly. The pull out method is known locally as pull out and pray. You best pray that you don't have a baby.

2 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

Please rethink this plan.  What's your backup plan if you get pregnant?  (you don't need to tell us, but make sure you've thought it through and that your bf agrees.  I mean, you can get an abortion without his consent, but it will tank your relationship if he finds out.  And if he doesn't want to be a father but you couldn't see yourself having an abortion, that's probably going to end the relationship as well).    Much easier to go on the pill or go get some condoms.

2 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

You can still get pregnant. Not to be graphic but those big ol swimmers can and are present in precum. After ovulation by about 4 days till your period is a non fertile time for the woman.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived