IGNORED

Big Sandy Family Conference April 2017

Palimpsest

On 4/28/2017 at 9:00 AM, formergothardite said:

My worry is that the people who go through all that training and then use the skills to join something like the police department  also take the ALERT religious indoctrination along with them. The last thing this country needs is more fundie men working in police departments. This program isn't going to teach men to look at women as their equals or to treat other religions(or people with no religions) with respect. This program is made to indoctrinate young men and then send them out into the public sector with these views.

Yes my husband strongly disagrees with the indoctrination side. He loved it for the practical skills set. He said a lot of the gang poked fun behind the scenes and the wacko teachings. 

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

The Tanner guy talks about the person who started it, but never said the name even though he is clearly describing Gothard. Tanner appears to be a Trump fan who is also into politics.

He is now working for Congressman Louie Gohmert, R, TX.  https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-tanner-3360528/?ppe=1

The discussion a couple pages back about the ATI/Gothard Umbrella Song versus Rihanna's Umbrella reminded me of something that might have made the Duggars' heads explode. The Swedish Royals apparently really love integrating pop music into their weddings, and at Carl Philip's wedding to Sofia Helqvist they included a Swedish language version of Umbrella (Paraply) in a service in the chapel at the Swedish Royal Palace.  It definitely WASN'T the Umbrella Song.

3 hours ago, mydoggoskeeper said:

Also, I hope those masks are respirators for lead and not part of some kind of "assault kit" they are fitting these boys with. 

Those are full face masks with a vent grid on the bottom, nothing sinister.  They're using high end air-soft guns and nobody wants to get hit in the face with one of those.  The low end guns will cause a welt at close range.  The high end guns are full weight and a bit higher power to be as realistic as possible.  They're standard in force-on-force training (which is about as real as you can get and still be safe).  

X-ATI Guy had an amusing post about the yearly family conferences. This was written in 2004. 

Knoxville 2005 will feature the exciting new slogan: Giving the World a Temporary Surge of Inspiration! The conference will feature several important sessions which are vital for a mature Christian to attend. Sessions include: 

Help! My Children Aren't Perfect Little ATI Kids. A session for stressed mothers with less than wonderful families.

Let's be Honest; You're Really Not Doing Wisdom Searches. A session for fathers who struggle to be consistent leaders in their homes.

So You'd Like to Work for Free. A session to describe apprenticeship opportunities for young men and women who are dedicated to serving the Lord. Young people will be encouraged to fast through this session to demonstrate their fervor.

How To Lose Friends and Leave Your Church. An exciting new session designed specifically for new ATI families.

Responding to ATI Critics. A session to give you the best answers to standard criticisms of ATI.

http://xatiguy.blogspot.com/search?q=Knoxville

4 minutes ago, Maxwell said:

Those are full face masks with a vent grid on the bottom, nothing sinister.  They're using high end air-soft guns and nobody wants to get hit in the face with one of those.  The low end guns will cause a welt at close range.  The high end guns are full weight and a bit higher power to be as realistic as possible.  They're standard in force-on-force training (which is about as real as you can get and still be safe).  

Good to know  -  I didn't think they were sinister looking, only perhaps a step to greater militarization.  I recently watched a documentary on some US based militias and I have seen foreign infantry battalions less equipped.  

I have zero experience with air soft or any kind of paint ball gun.  I have used respirator masks for indoor ranges though.  They look similar.  

4 minutes ago, mydoggoskeeper said:

I have zero experience with air soft or any kind of paint ball gun.  I have used respirator masks for indoor ranges though.  They look similar.  

They may look similar but given the fact that they are SHOOTING AT EACH OTHER it's pretty safe to assume that they are NOT for lead dust.  ;-)

Although, it is ATI/IBLP so maybe the lead dust assumption is reasonable as well.

9 minutes ago, Maxwell said:

They may look similar but given the fact that they are SHOOTING AT EACH OTHER it's pretty safe to assume that they are NOT for lead dust.  ;-)

Although, it is ATI/IBLP so maybe the lead dust assumption is reasonable as well.

You have better eyes than me.  I didn't see that they are shooting at each other, only that their weapons are all pointed roughly in the same direction off camera.  

15 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Yeah, a "college" degree in "Bible" is so useful in serving constituents. :pb_rollseyes:

Hey, that doesn't matter.  He's been the "Commander" and "Director" of ALERT!

Louie Gomert is the "terrorist babies" guy, IIRC.  Not a very brainy type.

I love how the cadets rattle off those verses like "Let me get through this before I forget." :pb_lol:

4 hours ago, Maxwell said:

Yeah, in the first video if you look closely at the guy on the right's gun you can see the orange tip indicating it's not real.

8 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I'd just like to point out that Louie Gohmert is a dick.  He's also too skeered to hold town hall meetings because of violence from paid protestors and he might be mowed down like Gabby Giffords. Gabby was shot by a mentally ill man who never should have had access to a gun, but   you can bet your Botkin manufactured T.Rex Arms kydex quick draw holster that Louis Gohmert supports full gun access with minimal restrictions. 

In a letter to his constituents, Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) announced he won’t be holding an in-person town hall anytime soon because “there are groups from the more violent strains of the leftist ideology, some even being paid, who are preying on public town halls to wreak havoc and threaten public safety.”

Here's Louis feeling a little anxious about paid protesters: 

Screenshot 2017-04-28 at 5.39.28 PM.png

When Jason fell into the orchestra  pit, Michelle said that Jana and Jill were trained as first responders as well as JD. Wonder how they got trained since they couldn't go to ALERT? 

16 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Yeah, a "college" degree in "Bible" is so useful in serving constituents. :pb_rollseyes:

JohnTanner.JPG

I mean, one of my friends has a degree in Religious Studies, but he did his undergraduate thesis on the influence of Medieval Christianity on the philosophy of Sweeney Todd, and is now working to become a psychologist who can integrate faith into his practice. Far cry from a no-name "Bible college" in Dallas that restricts students' political expression (no "engaging in partisan political activities as a representative of Criswell College"), says they're not allowed to complain about the college on social media on pain of disciplinary action, and disallows dancing. But you can wear pants, which makes this joint the Hampshire College to Crown's Amherst.

@HereticHick I'm gonna defend the Humanities (and let's class Religious Studies as the Humanities) a bit here and say it's not a bad degree to have if you work in Public Administration or Research. If it taught him to research and summarise and present information, then that is useful.

The fundamentalist belief system on the other hand...

2 hours ago, seraaa said:

@HereticHick I'm gonna defend the Humanities (and let's class Religious Studies as the Humanities) a bit here and say it's not a bad degree to have if you work in Public Administration or Research. If it taught him to research and summarise and present information, then that is useful.

The fundamentalist belief system on the other hand...

I am not knocking the humanities at all--I'm knocking "Bible" (quite different from "Religious Studies" IMO) degrees from two-bit Biblethumping schools like Criswell.

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

I am not knocking the humanities at all--I'm knocking "Bible" (quite different from "Religious Studies" IMO) degrees from two-bit Biblethumping schools like Criswell.

Ah, well. That's different!

15 hours ago, CatchThatCow said:

When Jason fell into the orchestra  pit, Michelle said that Jana and Jill were trained as first responders as well as JD. Wonder how they got trained since they couldn't go to ALERT? 

I believe Jana and JD did some training together. But I think JD was much more into it. There were some old episodes about it. 

15 hours ago, CatchThatCow said:

I believe they did it when they became volunteer fire fighters. Didn't they make a big deal about the gear being pants instead of skirts? I vaguely remember this. 

13 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I believe they did it when they became volunteer fire fighters. Didn't they make a big deal about the gear being pants instead of skirts? I vaguely remember this. 

They bought the official uniform pants and converted them to skirts. :pb_rollseyes:

On 2017-04-28 at 1:11 PM, metheglyn said:

The discussion a couple pages back about the ATI/Gothard Umbrella Song versus Rihanna's Umbrella reminded me of something that might have made the Duggars' heads explode. The Swedish Royals apparently really love integrating pop music into their weddings, and at Carl Philip's wedding to Sofia Helqvist they included a Swedish language version of Umbrella (Paraply) in a service in the chapel at the Swedish Royal Palace.  It definitely WASN'T the Umbrella Song.

I was watching the live stream of this wedding (Sweden is awesome for that) and couldn't believe what he was singing.

They had Coldplay's Fix You as well

How many times can you listen to Michelle compare sex and sandwiches? I'm sure everyone there has got it by now.

The ALERT choir was very good, but those boys need to learn how to wear their uniforms. I've seen boy scouts who take more pride in how they look.

How many times can you listen to Michelle compare sex and sandwiches? I'm sure everyone there has got it by now.

It's like she's secretly either a teenage boy or a 45 year old bachelor uncle with one bad sexist joke.

Archived