IGNORED

The trial of Recardo and Therien Wimbush

Buzzard

Glad to see these two abusive parents got a long custodial sentence.

I'd also note that these two are sovereign citizens, from the Scribd link in the first post. This is typical sovereign citizen nuttery. I'm thinking Recardo and Therian will have lots of time to file useless sovereign citizen style appeals (as opposed to legally organized and submitted appeals).

They have bigger concerns than Sovcit briefs. Other prisoners do not like folks who abuse kids. Women separated from their children take a dim view of child abusers in prison. That's going to be some looong time.

2 hours ago, mirele said:

I'd also note that these two are sovereign citizens, from the Scribd link in the first post. This is typical sovereign citizen nuttery. I'm thinking Recardo and Therian will have lots of time to file useless sovereign citizen style appeals (as opposed to legally organized and submitted appeals).

I'm guessing from the outcome of the trial that the state didn't go for the Wimbush plea offer, which was to release the Wimbush parents immediately and pay them $600,000/day restitution for each day of false imprisonment.  The plan was for Gwinnett County to pay 60% of this amount when they were released and then the remaining 40% to be paid out over two years, with the check arriving on the first of each month.  That seems so reasonable.....now  they're stuck in prison, when they could have been multi-millionaires if the state had just listened to reason. 

32 minutes ago, JMarie said:

Oddly enough, they only have nine children listed.  They have ten altogether, right?

http://wimbushed.com/index_files/Page923.htm

Maybe the parents (wrong word, but faster) took the oldest son off their family page when they "separated" him?

ETA--I found this timeline of events while I was checking out one of @Buzzard's links. This was at the end:

January 30, 2017

Recardo and Therian Wimbush are each sentenced to 20 years in prison and 10 years probation. They will not be able to contact the two abused sons until each boy is 21 years old. They are currently 16 and 10 years old. The couple is allowed supervised visits with the other eight children, but the parents cannot initiate contact with them.

I hope the kids get all the help they need.

Ever since Gwinnett County DFCS became privatized like the jails I have no faith in their abilities to actually look after child safety AND corporate interests. This child is lucky he was found and they actually did something about it. 

I can't tell you how many children that were removed for medical and educational neglect just to be thrown back in their homes with their abusers and never being looked in on once Gwinnett County DFCS became private.

Parents actively bribing or threatening the child during unsupervised visits. No follow-up visits after reunification (Social workers unable, unwilling or ignorant of Judges follow up orders). So so many cracks. Luckily all their children will be legal adults when they are released and can hopefully utilize therapy and the services offered to live a somewhat normal life. 

4 hours ago, NotAnIncubator said:

Ever since Gwinnett County DFCS became privatized like the jails....

This is chilling.  Texas is currently struggling with how to reform a CPS in total disarray.  Fortunately, no one has mentioned privatizing......yet. 

6 hours ago, NotAnIncubator said:

Ever since Gwinnett County DFCS became privatized like the jails I have no faith in their abilities to actually look after child safety AND corporate interests. This child is lucky he was found and they actually did something about it. 

I can't tell you how many children that were removed for medical and educational neglect just to be thrown back in their homes with their abusers and never being looked in on once Gwinnett County DFCS became private.

Parents actively bribing or threatening the child during unsupervised visits. No follow-up visits after reunification (Social workers unable, unwilling or ignorant of Judges follow up orders). So so many cracks. Luckily all their children will be legal adults when they are released and can hopefully utilize therapy and the services offered to live a somewhat normal life. 

Even if the parents end up doing only ten years each, some of the kids will have reached adulthood by then and won't have to be reunited if they don't want to.  They'll have had ten years with more mainstream families.  Maybe some of the older kids can become guardians for their younger siblings.

3 hours ago, Howl said:

This is chilling.  Texas is currently struggling with how to reform a CPS in total disarray.  Fortunately, no one has mentioned privatizing......yet. 

It couldn't make the School to Prison pipeline any more clear. Schools report child abuse, DFCS is aware and doesn't do anything unless its a doctor, sexual abuse call or like these children. A good percentage of those children will be lost to the prison due to bad circumstances and decisions and inactivity of DFCS. Literally setting them up for failure.

It honestly disenfranchises the children when they cry out for help and nobody listens. They stop doing their schoolwork, taking care of themselves, feel defeated/hopeless and like nobody cares for them in their life and opens them up for a lot of bad later on down the road. Its honestly worse on a child when DFCS comes to investigate, finds clear evidence of misdeeds and doesn't remove a child who is WILLING to go in Forster care to escape their parents. It is utter madness and part of the reason I no longer work with them. They are after corporate interests and cost-reduction instead of helping the families they are tasked to protect.

Archived