IGNORED

The trial of Recardo and Therien Wimbush

Buzzard

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/gwinnett-county/testimony-begins-in-trial-of-couple-accused-of-locking-son-in-basement/487475026

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/son-kept-basement-for-months-testifies-wimbush-trial-begins/UvjX8WY8Gb5VKqq7cUbp7I/

In 2014 this couple locked their 12 year old son in a basement for 18 months, saying that he had done something that violated their old testament beliefs and had to be separated from the family.  Apparently he stole a DVD player.  The room had no lights and he was not permitted access to a bathroom.

They also refused to get medical care for their 7 year old, who has a very large tumor that the Drs say would have taken years to grow - and is now cancerous.

The defendants are representing themselves and have submitted some interesting documents, like this "plea offer" that demands hundreds of millions of dollars.

https://www.scribd.com/document/334230263/Wimbush-Joint-Plea-Offer-002#from_embed

They did not deny that they locked the child away or failed to seek medical attention for their other child (they have 8 others).  They just seem to feel that it was their religious right to discipline him as they saw fit.

Hopefully a verdict is reached today.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/verdict-wimbush-case-jury-continue-deliberations-friday/TCfJO7lOaIcwci9vGDQD0M/

My heart aches for those poor children. I hope we don't hear of abuse towards the other eight. It takes a special kind of cruel to do things like this.

I noticed a headline that they were just found guilty.  How those poor children suffered.

That breaks my heart. That poor little child. He did nothing to deserve that. What horrible people! 

Guilty on 2nd degree child cruelty only.  Not guilty on 1st degree.   Bull.  http://www.11alive.com/news/local/jury-finds-wimbush-parents-guilty-on-2nd-degree-child-cruelty-charges/393875551

For the love of the FSM, the judge allowed the children to be cross examined by their parents (who were defending themselves)!  Even via video what shit world is this allowed to happen!

Sentencing is at 9:00 am Monday.  They could get anywhere between 1 and 30 years.  I hope the judge throws the book at them.

Well, well, well, no surprise here: 

from ajc.com

In his closing argument, Gwinnett County Assistant District Attorney Dan Mayfield called both the Wimbushes and their crimes “evil.” He described a house where the older son lived in fear of his parents and was largely closed off from the outside world. The children were homeschooled and did not interact with many people outside of the family. 

Full text here

It's only homeschooling if you're getting educated. If you're getting abused and locked in the basement it's not an education.

16 minutes ago, Howl said:

The children were homeschooled and did not interact with many people outside of the family. 

No surprise.  No surprise at all.  Hidden home schooled children.

Brace yourselves, folks, for a slap on the wrist for these child abusers.  Not all judges are as good as Judge Cook (see Hana Alemu Williams Befekadu).

The "religious" cases are always tricky.  I'm rather surprised that the jury rejected the 1st degree charges given the evidence but I haven't been following this case.

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

It's only homeschooling if you're getting educated. If you're getting abused and locked in the basement it's not an education.

So true.  I'll do a little creative editing: 

1 hour ago, Howl said:

The children were "homeschooled" and did not interact with many people outside of the family. 

See what I did there?  We all know what "homeschooled" means.  ;-)

Gwinnett County  (outside of Atlanta, GA) is also Eddie Long country. 

I'm so sad this boy is desperate to get back with his parents.  He was in that basement for a year and a half in a space the size of two double beds.  I can't believe that jury did not convict the parents of 1st degree child cruelty. 

6 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Sentencing is at 9:00 am Monday.  They could get anywhere between 1 and 30 years.  I hope the judge throws the book at them.

Ditto.

I think we should differentiate this scenario/these parents from those who homeschool in a responsible way, and who really care about providing a good education. Maybe Home Cruel instead of Home School

I can't wait to get the backstory on this case because it makes NO SENSE that they'd be convicted of 2nd degree and not 1st.

the difference between the two is that 2nd is a negligence standard vs malice.

9 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

A large heavy book with sharp edges..

I don't normally wish pain on people but..

http://www.myajc.com/news/local/tech-star-wife-sentenced-years-after-locking-son-basement/jBtokA5AUBfDWjlO4ObgHM/

They were sentenced to 30 years to serve 20 in custody, the balance on probation.  This is the sentence that the DA asked for - 20 years is the maximum on cruelty in the 2nd.

The article says that the children want to have contact with their parents but that the guardians and foster parents do not.  The article does not say how the judge ruled.

GOOD! Maybe the guardians and foster parents can show those poor children how parenting and life are really done properly. And may that sentence not be overturned.

Glad for this sentence.  Hope the foster parents are able to get the kids to a good secular counselor.  

Many wishes for the continuing recovery of the son with cancer and for the emotional health of all kids, and particularly the oldest. 

On 28.1.2017 at 3:38 AM, Buzzard said:

I can't wait to get the backstory on this case because it makes NO SENSE that they'd be convicted of 2nd degree and not 1st.

the difference between the two is that 2nd is a negligence standard vs malice.

How do you lock someone in the basement for 18 months without malice? Did they forget he was there or what.

Just now, AmazonGrace said:

How do you lock someone in the basement for 18 months without malice? Did they forget he was there or what.

From what I understand the jury felt bad for them and this was a compromise.  When I asked pretty much the same question you did, they shrugged and said "you know juries!"

The truth is that 1st degree and 2nd degree have the same penalty so it doesnt really matter, the major difference between the 2 is parole.

And this piece of huge irony struck me like a ton of bricks: Mom says she pursued this punishment because she didn't want son to end up like his two uncles who went to prison.....so she imprisons him in a tiny dark cell for a year and a half.  

On 1/27/2017 at 6:36 PM, Jellybean said:

I think we should differentiate this scenario/these parents from those who homeschool in a responsible way, and who really care about providing a good education. Maybe Home Cruel instead of Home School

Ya know, @Jellybean, I get your point, I really do.  But I'd much rather hear that responsible homeschooling parents put their shoulder to the damn wheel, and until their very last breath, decry any law that lets any children fall through the cracks into abuse under the pretense of homeschooling, and to fight FIGHT RELENTLESSLY AND HARD for laws that demand absolute accountability from every homeschooling parent, so that no child is forgotten in some hideous parental gulag like this kid.  

3 hours ago, Buzzard said:

http://www.myajc.com/news/local/tech-star-wife-sentenced-years-after-locking-son-basement/jBtokA5AUBfDWjlO4ObgHM/

They were sentenced to 30 years to serve 20 in custody, the balance on probation.  This is the sentence that the DA asked for - 20 years is the maximum on cruelty in the 2nd.

The article says that the children want to have contact with their parents but that the guardians and foster parents do not.  The article does not say how the judge ruled.

I hope that given time, and the opportunity to live with caring, decent foster parents/guardians, the children will realize that they are better off without much or any contact with either parent.  I remember watching a documentary about another absolutely  horrifying case of parental abuse (it was solely the father, the mother was just as abused as the kids) - and the father was finally arrested, brought to trial and sentenced to jail time.  The children were so brain washed, that they at first thought his sentence and imprisonment was wrong and they he would get out somehow (because they were raised to view him as God).  Only with time and distance did they realize just how awful he was.  That could be the case in this instance.

I'm glad that they received a long sentence, instead of a slap on the wrist.

Depending on leniency, behavior, overcrowding, they might serve ten years or less. I pray to God these children get enough time away from these people , and get an opportunity to learn what really loving  families look and act like, and can avoid the parents when they are released.

Archived