IGNORED

Who thinks another Duggar offspring will marry this season?

Guest LilaFowler

I'm thinking the eldest two Duggar girls have a good shot at a courtship. John David is next in line for marriage. He has a job now, and (presumably) heading towards financial security the Duggar way (with help from mom and dad). Plus, the Duggar name makes him eligible.

Re: why the guys are getting married but not the girls. It's because the guys can take control of their courtship situation. The girls are passive players. For the girls, their marriage prospect lies in how well their dad does. The guys have no such worry. They see a pretty girl they are interested in, they will dive in. For the fundie girls, if they have a father who is overprotective or have extremely high standards, they will be forever waiting for a guy to come impress daddy. Marriage happens for fundie guys when the guys feel "called" to marry. Marriage only occurs for fundie girls when their dad says so. Is it no wonder we see these SAHD waiting breathlessly for their prince, unable to be more than passive watchers in their own fate?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest LilaFowler
I finally figured out what bugs me so much about the Duggars. Was watching an episode of Little House on the Prairie, and realized that the Duggars never actually show each other any affection. In particular, Jim Bob and Michelle. There is no tenderness, no affection what so ever in their relation ship. I'm not talking about huge shows of PDA, but just little looks, glances, smiles. The actors did a much better job of portraying a loving fundie family than the Duggars do.

Exactly. The only ones who show affection are Jim Bob and Michelle. But the kids are like...zombies. Sweet zombies though.

Exactly. The only ones who show affection are Jim Bob and Michelle. But the kids are like...zombies. Sweet zombies though.

I have four kids, three are at home. If a camera crew followed our family around, my kids would fight more than the Duggars but they'd also show more physical affection. My 13 year old sometimes cuddles up against her brother when we watch tv.

That's the thing, their 'shows of affection' come off as very awkward and staged. There is no tenderness in them. Look at their body language.

If one of the J girls were to be allowed to marry, they could end up marrying into a much worse scenario than they are now (like an abusive spouse. In the "Duggars, Dates, and Daughters" episode where Sarah Mally comes to their house, they say that nothing is in the works for any of them. I think that any guy would have to go through daddy Duggar who would cut them off at the pass.

It's reality TV. A lot of things are staged, and it's going to show. There has to be some tenderness between JimBoob and Michelle, otherwise how else would they have 19 kids?!

Considering the fundy laws on physical touch, the Duggars are probably just uncomfortable with PDA. Jessa does kiss her brothers, after all...

I wouldn't be surprised if a marriage happened soon, but they're still awfully young to be married. Marriage does tend to happen earlier in their world, but not ridiculously young, and they're hardly old maids. A few weeks ago I was talking about marriage and such with some conservative girls my age (19-21), one of which who has been on the Duggars' show a few times (I resisted the temptation to try to get Duggar gossip; I'd feel too nosy). The consensus was that they would be happy if it happened now, but feel like they're too young to start looking (or have their fathers look) for it to happen. One even made a commitment not to enter any type of relationship until she was 21.

I imagine their fame in conservative circles would make it a bit harder to find a husband who is definitely not just interested in them because they're famous.

That Amish documentary looks interesting. I'm going to have to watch it after Doctor Who today.

The thing is, waiting for marriage is completely reasonable and logical, but it also goes against the Quiverfull mindset. Their goal is to have as many fundie babies as possible, to outnumber their competition. Waiting until 21 means that several babies will never be born. They also like to use the argument that they should never use birth control because that would mean some of their precious flowers would have never been born, but they are perfectly happy at allowing 2 or 3 precious babies to never be born per daughter that waits to get married. I'm glad they're making the practical and reasonable choice, but they are not being consistent with their own philosophy. If babies really are unmitigated blessings, they would want their daughters to start being blessed right away. This is just one more issue where they are talking out of both sides of their mouths, but in this came I'm glad for it.

Hmm, I don't quite see it like that. Despite what families like the Duggars and Bateses practice, quiverfull is just supposed to be about letting God be in control of how many children you have, not having as many as possible. (This is not me defending the quiverfull mindset; it's only slightly less problematic than the "lets have as many kids as possible" mindset.)

I agree about the lack of tenderness between the Duggar parents. The last episode I watched, which must have been over a year ago, was about JimBob running in a 10K (or was it a 5K)? Anyway, he tried to plant one on Michelle, and I saw her stiffen up. I don't think Michelle encourages any affection and what little we see seems staged.

Again, Michelle is probably very uncomfortable with showing affection on camera. I don't blame her. It probably does look like there's not a lot of affection in the Duggar household because of it. And because some fundies really do believe than sisters can defraud brothers, it explains the lack of affection between kids.

Jessa did mention that she has kissed her brothers, so maybe it all happens off-camera where JimBoob and Michelle don't mind, or they feel more comfortable.

Or you guys are right, J and M are sick of each other (explains not getting pregnant again so far after Josie), and the kids have been taught to never touch each other out of fear of defrauding them.

The thing is, waiting for marriage is completely reasonable and logical, but it also goes against the Quiverfull mindset. Their goal is to have as many fundie babies as possible, to outnumber their competition. Waiting until 21 means that several babies will never be born.

Jana is 22 in a few months, so there are already potentially 2 or 3 blessings that she'll never meet. Add to this the fact that she is a fraternal twin which increases the odds of her giving birth to fraternal twins, and we could be talking about a loss of even more blessings than that.

The Duggar girls not marrying in their late teens or early 20's - or even courting by 18 - is indeed directly contrary to the QF mindset. Something is up with this, but what it is ain't exactly clear. Yes, there are many J boys and J babies that need tending to, but I should think Boob would have at least cleared Jana by now, especially with Joy reaching wimmenhood.

The optimistic part of me hopes that it's at least in part due to JB not wanting his girls to end up in miserable situations (i.e. worse than their current situations). He does seem a bit closer to them than he does the boys.

JenniferJuniper--Thanks for getting the subject back on track. And I agree with you. JB genuinely loves his girls and does not want to seem them miserable. He's probably been approached by many potential suitors and rejected them all--perhaps rightfully so. Some anonymous guy asks for a courtship leading to a quick marriage. A recipe for for disaster and I think JB might be aware of that. Also, he might be disappointed by the way J is treating A.

They have to do something if they want to be back in the spring. So that means either they marry off a kid or have another one. Since having another one seems to be proving difficult, that leaves giving away your least valuable asset - JD. I expect he will be courting by christmas and married by easter.

Guest LilaFowler

Jana is 22 in a few months, so there are already potentially 2 or 3 blessings that she'll never meet. Add to this the fact that she is a fraternal twin which increases the odds of her giving birth to fraternal twins, and we could be talking about a loss of even more blessings than that.

The Duggar girls not marrying in their late teens or early 20's - or even courting by 18 - is indeed directly contrary to the QF mindset. Something is up with this, but what it is ain't exactly clear. Yes, there are many J boys and J babies that need tending to, but I should think Boob would have at least cleared Jana by now, especially with Joy reaching wimmenhood.

The optimistic part of me hopes that it's at least in part due to JB not wanting his girls to end up in miserable situations (i.e. worse than their current situations). He does seem a bit closer to them than he does the boys.

I agree with this.

I can see John David getting married soon, but I always get the feeling that Jimmy and J'chelle consider the girls "too young" to marry.

Really? This describes the couple that got married when Michelle was 17, the summer she graduated from high school? Jana is the same age Michelle was when Josh was born.

I am in no hurry for any of them to be married. But in my first post, I predicted JD would be married soon, and I think that is true. Not all of these boys are willing to wait until they are 30 for physical contact with females... and therefore, they'll be getting married soon.

Not to forget, Boob needs all his kids to stand in line behind him when he gives his "speeches" or promotes whatever books they've "written". If any of the girls get married, they'll move to live with their husband. If he doesn't live in Arkansas, that full circus is over. He won't have all his 19 blessings present.

Although I hope that Jana escapes soon. She always seemed kinda depressed or subdued and who can blame her? FREE JANA!!! Somebody on this board needs to court her and let her wear shorts or at least do something with her life!

Back on topic, I think JD may marry this season. Or at least be shown courting Anna Hackel. TLC must know it'll up ratings.

I would think the girls would want to get married. It's such a goal for a fundie girl and while there might be more isolation I doubt they realize it or think about all the ways getting married will impact their lives. They probably focus more on the whole idea of having their "prince" and children of their own. While I don't know if Jessa or Jinger are keen on marrying soon I would think Jana and Jill are both eager to marry and start thier own families. My guess is JD will be next because that's something JB can control. If no fundie boys are asking then JB can't marry off one of the girls but he can force JD to propose. I wonder if all of Jana's mission trips are to expose her to more boys so she can meet the one. Also I don't think JD will have any choice about his wedding being filmed. JB will do his best to make sure that happens. How did Josh's wedding play out? Could they be starting off with the engagement this season and the wedding to kick off the next one?

I don't think we'll see any courtships. How would they explain if it went wrong? Of course they could make it all a "our kids are free to choose" thing, but I don't think they'll show any more. We may see Zach Bates get married though--the Bates need the money.

I agree with JD being the most likely candidate, why else would Anna Hackel be hanging around or would they show them cleaning out the rental house? She seems to get along with the Duggar girls fairly well, so I would place my bets on them being the next wedding to watch out for.

On the other hand, I don't see the Duggar girls getting married for a while. JB seems REALLY invested in them, seeing as they are the pillars of purity that fundy girls want to aspire to, same idea to why Josh and Anna are still around regularly, to show how courtship works and is the way to go. And I am sure his standards are ridiculous, much as the girls' are, as seen in the latest book.

I agree with JD being the most likely candidate, why else would Anna Hackel be hanging around or would they show them cleaning out the rental house? She seems to get along with the Duggar girls fairly well, so I would place my bets on them being the next wedding to watch out for.

On the other hand, I don't see the Duggar girls getting married for a while. JB seems REALLY invested in them, seeing as they are the pillars of purity that fundy girls want to aspire to, same idea to why Josh and Anna are still around regularly, to show how courtship works and is the way to go. And I am sure his standards are ridiculous, much as the girls' are, as seen in the latest book.

Do tell! Is this the 'A love that multiplies'? I'd love to know what their ideas are.

I'm not sure about Anna H. I think they may be bringing along "help" to show the girls aren't as overworked as we think. It would be pretty hard to be "intimate" in that bus anyway! You know if they are courting that another adult is awake 24/7 just to make sure they aren't too close.

Really? This describes the couple that got married when Michelle was 17, the summer she graduated from high school?

Jim Bob and Michelle had a "reason" to get married that young; her parents were moving out of state and JB did not want her to go with them and lose her. Had she moved to Ohio with her family their teenage relationship would not have lasted. She would have gotten a job or gone to college. So JB asked her dad if they could get married and he said yes. Michelle could not have stayed behind with JB and no ring on her finger. Also, Michelle was the youngest child in her family and did not have a dozen or so younger siblings to raise so she wasn't badly needed at home.

I think John will marry before the girls. JB would not lose John David's mechanical and handyman skills if he married since he would stay in the area. If Jana or Jill married, their mothering and homemaking efforts are gone. They'd have their own families to raise and might live elsewhere. A married son is not the large loss to the family that a married daughter would be.

Jim Bob and Michelle had a "reason" to get married that young; her parents were moving out of state and JB did not want her to go with them and lose her. Had she moved to Ohio with her family their teenage relationship would not have lasted. She would have gotten a job or gone to college. So JB asked her dad if they could get married and he said yes. Michelle could not have stayed behind with JB and no ring on her finger. Also, Michelle was the youngest child in her family and did not have a dozen or so younger siblings to raise so she wasn't badly needed at home.

All of that is what normal parents would consider reasons for their daughter NOT to be married at 17. Sounds like her parents didn't care too much about her future.

I'm not sure about Anna H. I think they may be bringing along "help" to show the girls aren't as overworked as we think. It would be pretty hard to be "intimate" in that bus anyway! You know if they are courting that another adult is awake 24/7 just to make sure they aren't too close.

It would be pretty fucked up if the first two Duggar wives are named "Anna."

Archived