IGNORED

Family Living on Purpose (FLOP?): Erika Shupe pt. 10

December

I wonder if the room that previously held homeschooling materials could be a bedroom now?

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I wonder if the room that previously held homeschooling materials could be a bedroom now?

I have a feeling that Erika won't convert it to a bedroom, ever. I think she'll just keep it as a playroom/workroom for the kids' stuff because she likes the way things are organized already. 

I sincerely hope that the older girls move out on their own soon. As we've seen, Melanie is sick of living in such close quarters with no independence. Karen has a job and theoretically could put some money towards rent. If both of them agreed to be roommates and had jobs, they'd likely be able to afford living in an apartment of their own in that area. Even though public transit is somewhat scarce that far out, they might not even need a car.

I think Erika would have a meltdown if her two oldest "helpers" moved out, though. 

15 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

It would be super-nice if she moved the younger girls upstairs and let Karen and Melanie have their own room. But given that Melanie was talking about sleeping on a triple bunk in the last few months, I doubt that's happened. And even if they're not using the "school room" for school anymore, it was still a sort of playroom + office + computer room/storage...which you could argue that they still need. 

I imagine they're using that room as somewhere the kids can do homework if they need to use a computer. 

1 hour ago, defraudingjezebel said:

I think Erika would have a meltdown if her two oldest "helpers" moved out, though. 

This is a tricky thing. A pattern of the oldest kids helping the younger ones gets established through the years and then it must end at some point. Ordinarily, I'd say when the older child goes away to college but when that doesn't happen because fundiedom, it can get tricky I think to disengage from helping your parents and siblings and starting your own life. 

45 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I imagine they're using that room as somewhere the kids can do homework if they need to use a computer. 

In a house that size, it's not a bad idea to reserve a room that can be kept quiet for homework and study.  Otherwise, I doubt there would be any place the kids could go to get their work done.  While it would be nice for the older girls to get their own room, a study room really benefits a larger portion of the family and perhaps fills a greater or more pressing need.  

This is especially true in the area, since our weather means that you usually can't send the littles outside to play and make noise.  With this set up, they can play downstairs or in their rooms while the older kids are able to focus in a reserved space.  

I also like this because it means they get a better ergonomic set up.  I HATE seeing fundie kids doing their plethora of workbooks in bed.  Not that I haven't done homework from my bed before, but it is a very poor set up to be doing consistently.  Having tables and desks to work at is SO much better for them, and it may prevent them from having various issues later in life.  

On 5/20/2017 at 10:27 AM, usmcmom said:

"This is from the original blog:

May I speak openly to you and offer you a warning?

Rather than learning from all ages of people and older people than themselves who can give them knowledge and wisdom and character for their life, they are given over to the "real authority" (government education and awful peer influence) you've shown them and whom they should listen to.

I say these things to you strait forwardly, KL, out of love. Because I would not be a good friend if I did not at some point warn you of what is coming your way, no matter how comfortable life feels right now. *hugs*"

Ehhh, Erika can kiss off. She doesn't know a thing about this, given her inexperience. I have 10 years of experience as a public school parent, so allow me to ease the fears of anyone who might believe her nonsense.

My eldest child is a great kid. Good grades, bright future, other adults tell me often what a nice kid she is. She's disappointed if she doesn't get to go to our church or her youth group weekly. Involved in 3 sports and 2 secular service organizations. Gladly spent her spring break learning how to attend to people's actual tangible needs in a temporary medical clinic in Haiti. She also knows how to cook and bake well, sews her own clothes and quilts, builds rockets (won grand champion at the fair last year), has a geology collection that has won multiple state awards, knows how to hunt, and raises chickens in order to sell the eggs.

Not really a fair comparison since Erika's girls have limited opportunities, but shall we compare accomplishments for a moment? My daughter is 15 years old. I have zero fears about her making her way in the world, regardless of whether she chooses to marry. I do not worry that she is going to become evil because she's hanging out with "fools." She's no fool. But, then again, I raised her myself rather than implementing a large family sister-parent system, so....

On 5/21/2017 at 1:50 PM, usmcmom said:

I agree about the food. I would have fixed that amount of salad for our family of four when the kids were teenagers.

When I served biscuits we always had an extra one after the meal and topped it with butter and jelly or honey.

I agree, too. There are fewer of us than the Shupes, but for our family of 7 (and one of ours is still small enough not to eat that much), I'd have a bare minimum of two giant bags of spinach and a large bowl of each veggie topping, cheese, some type of meat so my athletes have enough protein. My kids love salad for dinner, so I don't have any problem with that. It's always devoured here, but there needs to be a lot of it or everyone is hungry again shortly.

I wouldn't get away with less than 2 biscuits each. There would be mutiny! Someone's arm would be bitten! Anarchy!

34 minutes ago, SoybeanQueen said:

I agree, too. There are fewer of us than the Shupes, but for our family of 7 (and one of ours is still small enough not to eat that much), I'd have a bare minimum of two giant bags of spinach and a large bowl of each veggie topping, cheese, some type of meat so my athletes have enough protein. My kids love salad for dinner, so I don't have any problem with that. It's always devoured here, but there needs to be a lot of it or everyone is hungry again shortly.

I wouldn't get away with less than 2 biscuits each. There would be mutiny! Someone's arm would be bitten! Anarchy!

I did notice a plate of what looked like ham slices on the table.  Probably enough for one or two slices each.  But that meal did not look like enough for everyone, I agree.  I think Ericka cooks tiny portions not because of the cost but to keep everyone skinny.  Growing kids need calories and protein, Ericka!  Not salad leaves and one biscuit each.

I remember cooking for my tribe...I used to make something the kids called "rice mess". Rice, chicken bullion, sauteed chicken, whatever frozen veggies I had on hand. 6 cups water, 8 bullion cubes, 3 cups rice, chicken, veggies. Mix and cook until rice is done...serve. One big pot of this stuff would feed the tribe with enough left over for dinner the next night...maybe...depending on how hungry the kids were. My kids ate until they were full. I was into cheap and nutritious....

I think the most difficult part about Erika and this whole lifestyle change they have gone through is that she made the most specific  defenses for skirts, home school, etc. She also outlawed even pajama pants when they switched to skirts, which is actually uncommon. (I know that it's uncommon since I myself am a skirt wearer). So for readers like me, it's pretty shocking that they made the change. I get that she can say whatever she wants or doesn't want to. BUT she sure said a lot before and the silence is both strange and off-putting to people/readers like me.

Didn't she only switch to skirts because they had a hard time finding pants that were modest enough though? I mean, it sounds like she was never actually fundamentally opposed to pants.

3 hours ago, meee said:

Didn't she only switch to skirts because they had a hard time finding pants that were modest enough though? I mean, it sounds like she was never actually fundamentally opposed to pants.

Something like that. With Erika it was all about the crotch. I have never seen the word "crotch" used so much in one place. She could not find pants to hide the crotch. They wore skirts so men would not stare at the crotch.  

Crotch, crotch, crotch, crotch, crotch.   She gives a whole new meaning to crotchety old lady. Heh. 

ETA: Maybe the next Erika thread could be titled "Erika: no longer hiding the crotch."  Or it might be a good post count title. 

9 hours ago, meowfundiecatz said:

I think the most difficult part about Erika and this whole lifestyle change they have gone through is that she made the most specific  defenses for skirts, home school, etc. She also outlawed even pajama pants when they switched to skirts, which is actually uncommon. (I know that it's uncommon since I myself am a skirt wearer). So for readers like me, it's pretty shocking that they made the change. I get that she can say whatever she wants or doesn't want to. BUT she sure said a lot before and the silence is both strange and off-putting to people/readers like me.

Oh my gosh my parents outlawed PJs and my brother and his wife do it too. I thought we were the only fundies who did! I hated it. I didn't wear my first pair of pjs until I was 22!

4 minutes ago, EowynW said:

Oh my gosh my parents outlawed PJs and my brother and his wife do it too. I thought we were the only fundies who did! I hated it. I didn't wear my first pair of pjs until I was 22!

Good Lord...I cannot with fundies. There is no one in the afterlife deciding fundies get a special certificate for having been uncomfortable at night due to modesty. I think they make an idol of modesty. 

9 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Good Lord...I cannot with fundies. There is no one in the afterlife deciding fundies get a special certificate for having been uncomfortable at night due to modesty. I think they make an idol of modesty. 

My mom said you would have to wear nightgowns anyway when you married so your husband could acesss your legs lol

34 minutes ago, EowynW said:

My mom said you would have to wear nightgowns anyway when you married so your husband could acesss your legs lol

Huh. Skirts more modest MY ASS. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived