IGNORED

Peter Bradrick files for Divorce

Marian the Librarian

20 minutes ago, Clementine said:

She has pinned cocktail recipes. (Cocktails with alcohol.) Having a nose piercing and drinking Mango Mojitos doesn't sound very fundy wife.

You don't know that many fundie wives :pb_lol:

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Marian the Librarian, thanks for the link to Return of the Daughters.  And this thread has led me to buy the iBooks version of Quiverfull(I have the physical book somewhere, but can't find it).

Wow. Just wow.  

I'd like to know how good ole' Scottie is feeling about his "success" right now and how he feels even remotely right about selling his NCFIC Marriage Conference yet again this year.  His one big showcase was the marriage between Peter and Kelly, completely arranged and highly publicized, DPIAT and all.  

I can't imagine what happened in that marriage but am guessing Peter is still a patriarch dick and Kelly discovered that piercing her nose and wearing tank tops gave her a sense of self.  

I'm sure Mother Bradrick (Petey's mom) is just wringing her hands.  She was certainly upset over the whole DPIAT debacle once she realized the program she forced him into damaged him. 

Peter, good luck in the real estate biz.  You are going to need to make a crap-ton of money to support all those kids of yours, and selling in Pierce County isn't big bucks.  And Washington is a community property state so get ready to sell your house and give half the proceeds to Kelly.  And be ready to pay spousal support on top of child support because that is common here, too.

No wonder Scottie is begging for money.  He's probably got a divorced daughter coming home with 6 kids and nothing but child support for income!

8 hours ago, snowgirl said:

What is the No Gossip rule?

Well, I never in my life thought I'd reference a blog post by the despicable T.W. Eston and his spiritual fellow traveler twisted sister Jen Epstein Fishburne, but the first part of this blog post tells how the "No Gossip rule" can be put to use for damage control.  

Scott Brown’s No Gossip Rule: The Plague of the NCFIC

January 15, 2014 — T.W. Eston

In 2007 Scott Brown, Director of the National Center for Family-Integrated Churches, preached a sermon entitled, Gossip: The Plague of the Church. This sermon was preached to an audience of several hundred immediately following a conference on building businesses and entrepreneurialship. The audience also included some pastors.

Doug Phillips, President of Vision Forum Ministries, was at that conference and struck a deal with Scott Brown to sell the sermon as an audio CD on the Vision Forum web site.

Jen Fishburne informs me that it was no coincidence that Scott Brown preached this sermon at the time he did. It was at this same time that Doug Phillips was beginning to feel the heat from Jen exposing his ecclesiastical tyrannies and abuses on her blog. Jen had done everything humanly possible to seek reconciliation with Doug, but he sabotaged her every overture. As a last resort she published her story on her blog, not to shame and humiliate him but to publicly expose Doug Phillips as an ecclesiastical tyrant so that others might not fall prey to his abuses.

Jen has been accused many times of being “bitter and unforgiving”, but I know Jen well and I know that the opposite is the case. Her motivation isn’t a hatred for Doug Phillips but a love for the body of Christ.

As a direct result of Jen’s story going public, the home school community was asking questions, and even some members of his own church, Boerne Christian Assembly, were voicing concerns. In desperation Doug Phillips searched for a way of shutting down all inquiries into his abusive practices. The charge of “gossip” was a ready-made excuse for silencing all calls for his accountability and repentance. Scott Brown’s “Gossip” sermon was tailor-made to clamp the lid down hard on any challenges to the tyrannies of a spiritually abusive pastor.

It was Scott Brown’s “Gossip” sermon which launched the No Gossip Rule in the BCA community. By mass-marketing the CD, Vision Forum and the NCFIC have also effectively inculcated the No Gossip Rule within a large portion of NCFIC churches. Doug Phillips and Vision Forum have, likewise, indoctrinated thousands of Christian home school families with the No Gossip Rule. 

The real purpose of the No Gossip rule is "don't question the leadership ever." 

7 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

You don't know that many fundie wives :pb_lol:

No, I dont. :) Are they allowed to drink alcohol? I presumed that they weren't allowed anything stronger than coffee.

25 minutes ago, Clementine said:

No, I dont. :) Are they allowed to drink alcohol? I presumed that they weren't allowed anything stronger than coffee.

It depends on the Fundie subgroup and there are really too many to count.  The Baptists are more likely to be teetotalers.  The Calvinist-types tend to be more open to alcohol and worldly things like dancing in comparison.

Holy crap, that video. Come for the Scottie Brown/Braderick! bloviating, stay for the creepy little brother/big sister talk at 1:33. :my_confused:

44 minutes ago, Clementine said:

Don't forget plexus ;-)

17 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Marian, you rule!!! I have been wanting to watch this for sooooo long!

I love and hate you at the same time, marian!! I really have to write my paper, but I just finished watching the actual documentary. Is the aftermath, the biblical foundation, snarkworthy? Or is it just boring AF?

14 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

You know you're a hard-core FJer when the divorce of Peter and Kelly Crawford is more shocking and interesting to you than the divorce of Brangelina. I would like to think that Kelly is becoming more secular and trying to have a more mainstream life, but I fear she'll just end up living with her parents and treated the black sheep of her family because of the divorce.

That is exactly how I explained me being in schock to my roommate.

Wow @Marian the Librarian, that video is crazy! I never read up on VFC until after the scandal so I know very little but the section about Kelly made me want to punch things. Soooooo glad to hear she has a "PhD" in biblical womanhood.  And that a nursing degree would have been a waste of time since she'd just have to shelve it and attempt to learn how to manage a household after marriage.  :smiley-signs131: :fubar:

One little question, why does Bradrick! always get an exclamation point?

15 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

You know you're a hard-core FJer when the divorce of Peter and Kelly Crawford is more shocking and interesting to you than the divorce of Brangelina.

Ha, yes!

3 hours ago, WonderingInWA said:

And be ready to pay spousal support on top of child support because that is common here, too.

Yep, and after all those years of bloviating about how women don't need job skills or to work, he better pay up. Let him see just what happens when we make women completely dependent on men.

13 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

As a frequent passenger on the Idle Speculation Bus, I can come up with only one scenario that makes sense.

Unlikely as it might seem to those of us with taste, Peter was having an affair. The mistress is now with child. Peter must do the decent thing and marry the lass. Perhaps Kelly refused to initiate divorce proceedings so Peter had to do it himself, because it is customary to allow the wronged spouse to initiate the divorce.

I can see this being the case if Peter were single, but would a traditional church see a man to leaving his wife and six children to marry the woman as "doing the decent thing"? 

47 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

I can see this being the case if Peter were single, but would a traditional church see a man to leaving his wife and six children to marry the woman as "doing the decent thing"? 

Yeah, surely the "Godly" thing would be for the other woman to give her baby up for adoption and move far, far away, with a scarlet letter sewn to her shirt.  (Worst case?  Adopted by the cheating husband and wife)

14 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

As a frequent passenger on the Idle Speculation Bus, I can come up with only one scenario that makes sense.

Unlikely as it might seem to those of us with taste, Peter was having an affair. The mistress is now with child. Peter must do the decent thing and marry the lass. Perhaps Kelly refused to initiate divorce proceedings so Peter had to do it himself, because it is customary to allow the wronged spouse to initiate the divorce.

I was thinking just the opposite.  That maybe Bradrick!, while shaken by the DPIAT scandal, is still fairly fundy in basic beliefs and that Kelly has shed them... hence the nose ring and cocktail recipes... and that, perhaps, Kelly has had an affair leading to Bradrick! filing.

Man, this bus has some comfy seats!

ETA:  I can't see a Fundy man divorcing his wife to marry his pregnant mistress.  Mistress' don't get wed, the either get paid off to go quietly or shamed for the hussy that we all know them to be -- temptresses really.

19 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

I've always appreciated the saying that goes something like "The only people who truly know what goes on in a marriage are the two people in that marriage." We can only speculate - but I've been around these FJ parts long enough to remember the Ginormous-In-Fundie-Circles fuss being made about Peter and Kelly's courtship and wedding. Kelly's father (Scottie Brown) subjected Peter to intense and lengthy questioning, and asked him to write many "position papers" on theological minutae. Kelly was quoted as saying that her father fell in love with Peter before she did.

P & K's courtship and marriage were featured prominently - lauded as the Holiest of Holies, really - by the Botkinettes in their loathsome "Return of the Daughters" DVD, which was my gateway to the Botkin/VF/DPIAT rabbit hole, and thus to FJ. Return of the Daughters is now conveniently available in its entirety on You Tube (thank you to whoever pointed this out on Julie Anne's Spiritual Sounding Board blog!) There is much breathless, worshipful waxing rhapsodic about Peter and Kelly's relationship ("blazing a trail back to the Biblical principles foundations of marriage"), and I remember wondering how any young marriage could survive that level of scrutiny and expectation of perfection.

Here's the link. The section on Peter and Kelly begins at 32:20. Get popcorn and the beverage of your choice ready, and know that rescue ferrets are on call 24/7.

I've never seen this in full.  It is so disturbing.

I don't think divorce is ever an easy decision, regardless of whether it's the right thing for a particular couple. But given the Bradricks' cultural background, I doubt it was a decision made lightly, and it takes courage to admit something's wrong. I hope the whole family can move on and be happy.

1 hour ago, JMO said:

Wow @Marian the Librarian, that video is crazy! I never read up on VFC until after the scandal so I know very little but the section about Kelly made me want to punch things. Soooooo glad to hear she has a "PhD" in biblical womanhood.  And that a nursing degree would have been a waste of time since she'd just have to shelve it and attempt to learn how to manage a household after marriage.  :smiley-signs131: :fubar:

One little question, why does Bradrick! always get an exclamation point?

Early in the marriage, Peter purposed to develop a nationwide network of emergency responders and called it BRADRICK!

Did anybody else find the almost incessant slow-motion of ROTD to be nauseating?  It made me think of the creepy way TV news broadcasts use slo-mo for footage of perp walks, especially if the suspect is good-looking and the crime is particularly salacious. 

If I had been completely neutral to the film, the excessive slow motion of the girls [sic] floating around, serving their master/fathers, would've turned me off. 

Also: Anybody else bothered big time by the absence of The Mothers?  Did The Daughters spring fully formed from The Fathers' thighs, á là that one myth we had to study in junior high?

What 20-year-old American man uses the words "fluttering" and "cooing"? What 19-year-old American woman describes herself as "great with child"? Gee, you can't tell they hung out with Doug Phillips at all, can you? :pb_rollseyes:

Is "pregnant" considered too explicit in Dougie(who is a Tool)Land, the way Lucy Ricardo had to say "expecting"?

3 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Is "pregnant" considered too explicit in Dougie(who is a Tool)Land, the way Lucy Ricardo had to say "expecting"?

IMO, it's a dog whistle to reference a description of the Virgin Mary in Luke. I think it was intentional and she was told to describe herself that way. 

I'm watching this in segments because it's making me stabby and I have the urge to throw my computer across the room in anger and disgust.  

I'm about 53 minutes in and Geoff Botkin is bloviating about men being leaders and if they're not ,,, well ... they are girly men and bad things will happen -- and it will be All. Their. Fault.

This is the first time I've heard Scottie and Geoff speak and I find them extremely creepy and disturbing and I have a visceral flesh crawling reaction to them.  So I must ask -- do I think that because I've read so much about them or because they *are* intrinsically creepy/ disturbing/ flesh crawly?

Have any FJers met or heard them in real life?  Stories please :)

15 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

do I think that because I've read so much about them or because they *are* intrinsically creepy/ disturbing/ flesh crawly?

They're both creepy as fuck but combined with the "legends in their own minds" delusion they ultimately come off as stupid assholes.

I watched the beginning with the Botkin sisters doing the intro. I busted out laughing so hard. I swear it seemed like they were describing a heroin epidemic. But nope. It was a feminism epidemic! Thank you so much for posting that. I needed a good laugh.

I'm sort of surprised, but honestly, not shocked.

They were raised and then used as props for a movement. There was little if any actual connection between them - - from the start, whatever came through their years of marriage. They were poster children for Patriarchy and their entire lives were used from the very beginning. Then, his idol falls and their lives shatter and there is no foundation for them to stand on, together. They never had a solid foundation from the start - they had a movement, an agenda, roles to play, babies to pop out, images to maintain. So, when that disappeared, I can't really see them being able to rely and depend on each other for strength and conviction to navigate. Her father is still deep in the movement no matter how he's tried to rebrand himself. Fully breaking away and finding a healthy balance for their lives and marriage wasn't possible because the strings were still there on all sides. No doubt pulling them in all directions. They were never two people in one marriage trying to rebuild their lives after the one they lived fell apart. They were always members of much larger circles with much larger agendas. 

I think it's sad when marriages end and kids are involved. But, I also think in many cases it's the only thing that can be done so all involved can move on to happy, healthy lives. I don't know them, of course, but I do know what it's like to divorce. I made mine happen and I ran out without looking back, but there were times before the decision was made where I thought my entire soul were being ripped apart as I realized everything I hoped and planned for my future was now gone; as I wrestled with having to change my dreams and start over. That shit ain't easy. And, I can only imagine how much harder it is in the world they inhabited. 

I hope Kelly gets an education and teaches her sons to be respectful men and her daughter to be independent and take care of herself. 

She may not have asked for it, but she's been given a chance to alter her predestined course; a course set for her by her father and his cronies, not one she chose. I hope she takes that chance and proves all the men in her life that she has always been worth more than she's been taught to believe.

I know it probably sounds mean to say but I truly hope this is only the first of many in that insane movement. 

I'm the child of an alcoholic.  The first thing that comes to mind with people referencing Kelly's cocktail recipes is, I hope, and do mean really hope, that she has not developed a dependence on alcohol while trying to raise 6 young children under Patriarchy.  If that were the case, I'm sure Peter would try to get custody.  

She has few options.  She has six children at home.  Perhaps the last one is out of diapers!  If she goes back to the Scottie Brown NCFIC Mind Control Center, they could take care of the kids while she goes to school, except that could never happen, because Scottie.  If she stays in Washington, she's stuck with six kids at home and I can't see where she could find child care or funds sufficient to allow her to start a college program in nursing or whatever, even with putting the oldest kids in (GASP!) public school.  

Jeeeze Louise, this woman is one step away from a LESBIAN DUPLEX!  

***Thanks to Libby Anne, who blogs at  Love, Joy, Feminism (Patheos) for the Lesbian Duplex concept, based on two of her blog posts about Debi Pearl's "Created to be His Help Meet".  Y'all can read about it here

54 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

I hope Kelly gets an education and teaches her sons to be respectful men and her daughter to be independent and take care of herself. 

She may not have asked for it, but she's been given a chance to alter her predestined course; a course set for her by her father and his cronies, not one she chose. I hope she takes that chance and proves all the men in her life that she has always been worth more than she's been taught to believe.

From your keyboard to God's ears.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived