IGNORED

The Putman Family (cult) on TLC

ChickenettiLuvr

The fellowship talk plus Kacey's mastectomy talk (like you all got to decide what preventive medical decisions that I make). Ugh. Lord.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

On 10/12/2017 at 1:05 PM, Carm_88 said:

@uselesstrivia I would imagine because she wanted to have sex. 

Plus you get the fun of building a cute, picture perfect family that your SIL's and parent's raise for/with you. All the fun of parenthood with little of the work.

Other thoughts:

1) Blake and Megan made me sad. You can see that living in this super family makes it hard for them to connect on the level that most spouses can living in a private home.

2) Why do they have family conversations about medical decisions. How frustrating!

3) They have a social media campaign on their FB they are asking people to post #keeptheputmans and rewatch all the episodes to get a season 2.

4) Also I'm confused about them saying he needed the fellowship to be an OB in Detroit or Grand Rapids. My cousin is an OB/GYN in Grand Rapids. She did all of her schooling in MI but I am almost certain she never did a fellowship.

5) The manipulation when Bill was saying all that shit to the family about "if your dreams supersede the family then you can go" was so strong. That speech explains why none of his kids left until now.

6) These people are so weirdly obsessed with their children that I am shocked they sent them to public school. I wonder what they did all day while their kids were at school.

Edited by Seculardaisy
ETA also I said mouse spouses which is funny but not what I meant.
  • Upvote 8
  • Haha 1
  • Love 4

@Seculardaisy Well the women you know can things and craft! But also do a lot of the housework. I guess all the guys besides Blake just work at their company.

Also, are we interpreting that Blake was telling the truth on how no one attended his graduations? Cause like I thought this family would be supportive?

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

When I asked what they did all the day while the kids were at school I meant Bill and whatever the mom's name is. I just can't imagine what they did during the day when their four kids were growing up. They are so obsessed with their children! Although I suppose their business could've kept them pretty busy. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Thanks @PumaLover for the recaps! I can't bring myself to actually watch, but this family seems so fascinatingly dysfunctional I look forward to reading about them here. 

So glad the one couple is moving out of state, but I agree with @Seculardaisy, I have never heard of an OB fellowship either and was confused. The trusty google machine tells me that you can add an OB fellowship to a Family Practice or Community Health residency. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/16/2017 at 9:19 PM, PumaLover said:

(Mr. Puma is next to me on the couch and had to reach out to touch me because he said he's very insecure. He loves snarking on these people too.)

Welcome, Mr Puma.  :)    These folks are nuts and I am glad you are also watching the circus  :)

• Love 5

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this family: they posted an updated family photo of themselves and the kids posing in front of the dead deer from their hunt. Oh and in another WTF moment the kids are posing with guns.

My dad always went hunting, I can’t imagine ever having posed in front of the dead deer a child. I used to ask him to make sure he didn’t kill Bambi or his mom. (I’m from Michigan too so no this isn’t some regional photo that we are all accustomed to or something.)

And it’s behind a spoiler because...dead deer.

Spoiler

270C653A-9042-42C3-8761-34C87EDF5164.thumb.jpeg.ebed328d3c76230deb7dfd75fa595181.jpeg

Edited by Seculardaisy
  • Upvote 3

I have absolutely no issue with hunting, it's good to let your kids know where meat does come from. That being said, I don't understand why they drag the whole family out to take a picture in front of the dead deer. What are the going to put it on the Christmas Cards? Wait...it's the Putmans, they had to do it together. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

I feel that! Like what if you genuinely don't want to go? I totally agree with learning about where your food comes from. I guess again it goes back to not everyone wants to do everything together and yet your essentially being dragged to it.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

Look, I am not dragging hunting. I know where meat comes from. Does that mean I want to go and shoot my own food? NO. I would ugly cry if I was forced into going hunting, or shooting another living thing. I just do not have it in me. 

This is coming from a person who can't watch Bambi, The Fox and the Hound, Flipper, or any thing that is similar to those. With that many people in the family, at least one of those kids must hate it. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

• 4 weeks later...

I watched all the shows, lots of things that took my breath away. The father seems to be power crazy and so controlling. Really gave me bad vibes. 

I don't know if there will be another season but I hope not. 

@Carm_88 The recaps you did were great! 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

Pa Putman had a major health scare. Sorry I’m sure I posted this out of order but I tried.

Spoiler

E89DEAFE-C1E9-4062-8439-E2026A6FC21F.thumb.jpeg.a8bbbdc4da3dff05b7165a0ccc601bd1.jpeg

Spoiler

BAB51CA3-EEBF-4A38-9CF9-E894F304862A.thumb.jpeg.1b60add7ed6375d0b98317854991445c.jpeg

Spoiler

192DD5BA-7538-4CD8-B0C1-5094FCD1B058.thumb.jpeg.5cfc13ef60c7a21c0f8b0693eb1af709.jpeg

Spoiler

3AA09F01-9385-4A28-91B6-F21040FDC408.thumb.jpeg.89b0515ec332341b1a12be8fd6561642.jpeg

Spoiler

78018EE4-3F6B-4D3B-AC3B-152E216EB960.thumb.jpeg.5199690b3687a5aa64f00dbee55cd85a.jpeg

Edited by Seculardaisy
  • Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 1

Yikes, can't say I'm surprised. I hope he gets the help he needs and maybe works on the anger thing as well. He was honestly scary when he yelled at the sons while they were moving the chimney.  Sidenote: do they grandkids call him Papa? Is that a regional thing? My understanding was that Papa was a term for Dad but I call one of my grandpas Pop Pop so... In a billion years when we have grandkids, they will call my SO Shabadoo so to each their own.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 3

7 hours ago, freedom_for_all said:

Yikes, can't say I'm surprised. I hope he gets the help he needs and maybe works on the anger thing as well. He was honestly scary when he yelled at the sons while they were moving the chimney.  Sidenote: do they grandkids call him Papa? Is that a regional thing? My understanding was that Papa was a term for Dad but I call one of my grandpas Pop Pop so... In a billion years when we have grandkids, they will call my SO Shabadoo so to each their own.

I’m in Michigan (like them) and my kids call their Grandpas Papa.

I always called my Grandfathers Grandpa.

I thought the Putman referred to the mom and dad as Ma and Pa Putman a few times but I don’t remember. The show is so boring it’s easy to forget the details. :content:

Edited by Seculardaisy
  • Upvote 3

I'm not sure. I watched it all but I cannot for the life of me remember what the grandchildren called the Putman parents. It's not really focused on them. 

I'm not shocked that Bill had a heart attack. There is a serious amount of resentment and anger there. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

On 2/5/2018 at 12:13 PM, freedom_for_all said:

Husband and I grew up in New England. Our kids call one of their grandfather's Grampa, the other one is Papa, and their step grandfather is Goompa. As an aside, two of the grandmothers are called Nana FirstName, as well as a couple of honorary grandmothers who are also called Nana FirstName. My Mom is the only one referred to as Nana, without the first name qualifier. We didn't name the grandparents, the kids did.

Edited by keen23
Clarity
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 2

My friend calls her grandmother Didi. Her grandmother use to teach at a beauty school and the students called her Mrs. D. My friend turned out to be both an only child and grandchild so she was the only one who called her that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I hope he makes a full recovery but I also hope he doesn’t use this as an excuse as to why everyone has to live together forever. I can see him using it to guilt his kids into never moving out. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

On 2/10/2018 at 11:59 AM, socalrules said:

I hope he makes a full recovery but I also hope he doesn’t use this as an excuse as to why everyone has to live together forever. I can see him using it to guilt his kids into never moving out. 

Sad thing is, I know it's exactly what he'll do from personal experience. Those kinds of parents will use any excuse in the books to guilt kids. My mother is an expert. She can write books about it :)

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

On 2/19/2018 at 10:27 PM, ChickenettiLuvr said:

I don't remember which one is Brandon. 

Brandon is the second of the four original Putman children. He's married to Kacie and is dad to Emma, Bella, Mya, Nova and Gia.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

Holy shit. I don't know much about guns or gun law, but this certainly looks like it isn't going to end well.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1