IGNORED

The Putman Family (cult) on TLC

ChickenettiLuvr

From the article (http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/index.ssf/2017/01/michigan_family_tlc_reality_sh.html):

One of the biggest challenges in the house?

"Turd time," said Bill Putman.

OMG WHUT. Just...just say there aren't enough bathrooms!!! This is one time I'd rather have the Duggar vagueness!!!!!!!!

I didn't see this last night...but it sounds like a trainwreck, so I too hope they make it a series purely for snark purposes. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

I boycott TLC so I have not seen this show.

Can we be a little more careful about the "cult" word usage?  Words have meaning.

Is this actually a "cult" in the sociological sense or just an extraordinarily enmeshed, probably dysfunctional, and possibly abusive family unit?

I'm sure TLC would have happily featured  Papa Pilgrim Hale and family on UnReality TeeVee as a functional family if they had got there in time and offered the patriarch enough cash. I wouldn't have called Papa Pilgrim a cult leader.  I would call him a sociopath, a spousal and child abuser, and a thoroughly dreadful person.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, wandering woman said:
The Putnam family is one hot mess.  They are obviously affluent, and their house is large, yet 25 people are sharing two full bathrooms.  It seems like all four adult kids have always lived with their parents.
Hopefully TLC will turn the show into a series because I'll be watching for sure.  I always wonder where they find these freaks.

You know they will since they're building their own house! I wonder if each family will have their own separate living quarters since it seems as if they'll make their own little community, no friends allowed.

Edited by Coconut Flan
Removed tapatalk signature.
  • Upvote 4

Let me get this straight. There are 5 grown-ass married adults with kids and jobs, and they have to ask for permission to leave.WTF????

• Upvote 15

8 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

Let me get this straight. There are 5 grown-ass married adults with kids and jobs, and they have to ask for permission to leave.WTF????

Yes and it was like someone died because they were moving out. And they had to promise that it was temporary. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Dandruff said:

"Turd time,"

Just so...  not necessary.  Just say "we need more bathrooms." 

I could have sworn I heard someone last night on the show say they are building a 34,000 SF house and I am sure I heard that wrong.  Anyone else have a different memory?

• Upvote 8

52 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

I wonder how he expresses himself when he's not being interviewed or filmed.  Actually, I don't want to know.

Oh God, I didn't even think of it that way. Wow, just wow. 

• Upvote 6

My take on this:

TLC knows they are losing viewers because the Duggars are no longer snarkable enough to carry ratings.

TLC finds a fully disfunctional family to up their ratings and provide revenue to its brand. 

TLC KNOWS FULLY WELL what this new family has in its closets but is hoping all the $$$ the show generates will afford the 

Putnams the opportunity to buy good locks for their closets.  

Should we ask sponsors to boycott this TLC train wreck?

I guess that's all I have.

Others, please weigh in as I KNOW you will.

• Upvote 8

42 minutes ago, NewOrleansLady said:

Should we ask sponsors to boycott this TLC train wreck?

I think most will figure it out for themselves.  The rest, AFAIC, can take their chances.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

There are ten adults and fifteen kids living there.  I was appalled that an adult had to ask permission to leave and cried through the whole thing.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

Just so...  not necessary.  Just say "we need more bathrooms." 

I could have sworn I heard someone last night on the show say they are building a 34,000 SF house and I am sure I heard that wrong.  Anyone else have a different memory?

No you didn't hear that wrong. They are building a huge house with many bathrooms. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chickenbutt said:

I think they said the house was 34/36,000 sq ft and it had 15 bedrooms and 18 1/2 bathrooms.

Then the grandkids can stay forever too. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Chickenbutt said:

I think they said the house was 34/36,000 sq ft and it had 15 bedrooms and 18 1/2 bathrooms.

That sounds like an enormous waste of money. What happens when these adult kids get sick of the bullshit and all decide to move out? Who the fuck. Is going to buy that place? No one that's who. If they were smart they would build a few different normal sized houses on one large plot of land. Your resale value will be much better. 

• Upvote 21

Oh @JermajestyDuggar a waste of money for building a super sized home is the tip of the iceberg for that family. You didn't watch I presume because, wow, it's a whole 'nother level of weird. One bank account, one shopping trip, one washer and dryer. They make the Duggars and Brown situations seem boring. It's a shit show, no pun intended. The dad telling his son in law I am so in love with you made my skin crawl. 

• Upvote 10

There are ten adults and fifteen kids living there.  I was appalled that an adult had to ask permission to leave and cried through the whole thing.

I meant 5 grown-ass adult childen of the patriarch.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, StepMonsterInLA said:

Oh @JermajestyDuggar a waste of money for building a super sized home is the tip of the iceberg for that family. You didn't watch I presume because, wow, it's a whole 'nother level of weird. One bank account, one shopping trip, one washer and dryer. They make the Duggars and Brown situations seem boring. It's a shit show, no pun intended. The dad telling his son in law I am so in love with you made my skin crawl. 

Ha no I missed it! But I love everyone's recaps. I think I will have to catch future shows. 

I imagine they normally grab 3 adults and go shopping minus the kids and only did that for the show. I'm so tired of reality shows doing things we all know they would NEVER do Normally because it makes no sense. 

But building a 35,000 sq ft home? That's not for the cameras. That's because they are ducking nuts. 

• Upvote 6

It does sound like the way the Putmans live is quite out there. However, in some families and some parts of the United States, multigenerational families and homes are planned for. This way, as parents age, they can age at home, with their children and grandchildren. In some cases, the grandparents are able to provide childcare as well. It's not extremely common, but I believe I've read books (albeit fiction) using examples of this. In this case, there is an area/floor for grandparents, and space for the family as well. 

If it's done in a normal and healthy way (it was this way for generations), I don't have a problem with it. The Putmans, however, don't do this normally or healthily.

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 12

We lived with the inlaws for the first 9 yrs of marriage and two kids. Plus my psychotic drug addict BIL and his ahem support you add the word as believe Buzzard I think doesn't like it so I won't use it. My MIL threw a huge fit when we finally bought our own house and took our son to our house. She worked down the road from house and would only visit sporadically because we moved out with "her baby".

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

18 1/2 bathrooms?  Why?  Are they planning to hold contests?

• Upvote 7

7 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

18 1/2 bathrooms?  Why?  Are they planning to hold contests?

If this show is a hit, that could be an episode in and of itself.  It could be titled "Poop-a-palooza", "Battleshits", or "Turdstock". 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

So I just finished the episode and my thoughts:

My first gen american self: eww wtf this is weird and creepy. Cult screams at me too, like voting to leave your house. I was mad at the one brother who was like I don't want you to leave, like really you don't want your BIL to be safe? I would have been like hell yeah do what you have to do. Also like you guys, the dad definitely needs some help, I totally understand that his sad upbringing affected him greatly and he needs to sort that kind of thing out. I'm also surprised that they spouses were like 100% yes, cause I would have been like um no? Also with only 2 bathrooms with 15 people? I'm in a family of 5 with 2.5 bathrooms and we still struggle! So I have no idea how I would be able to mange that times 5.

My eastern african side: This is super common where my family comes from. Both sets of grandparents have a large compound where a lot of cousins and some aunts and their respected families live on. They however operate like they have their own lives, just live on the same huge plot of land. That's how I thought originally it was going to operate, that each family lives within their own house but meet up every so often at the matriarch/patriarch house.

Edited by candygirl200413
Additional Thoughts
  • Upvote 7

The stuff concerning the single banking account and family decisions sounds super weird. I would not want to share a whole house with my own family and my parents AND my sisters. NO.

The son-in-law changing his last name doesn't bother me. Women do it every day, so if he wants to, more power to him.

I am surprised they got all the spouses on board with living in a shared home. Privacy would be a major thing for me.

• Upvote 13