IGNORED

The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu

MargaretElliott

Maybe Martha's get "special dispensation", like the Aunt's? Of course you know, reading is more of a chore than a privilege...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2018 at 9:34 PM, AmericanRose said:

Maybe Martha's get "special dispensation", like the Aunt's? Of course you know, reading is more of a chore than a privilege...

Maybe the Martha’s have some sort of training / indoctrination academy like the Handmaid’s? It wouldn’t need to even be super formall. 

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

Season 3 premiered last night. Anyone watching?

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Yes! I watched all three episodes after everyone went to bed. I love it so far. 

Edited by DancingPhalanges
Grammar
  • I Agree 1

I didn't realize 3 would be posted at once so I was excited when it just kept going! I wasn't too sure how I felt about June staying in Gilead at the end of the last season but I like it so far. 

• Upvote 1

I watched the first two episodes and am enjoying it. I like the Resistance aspect.  Commander Joseph is an interesting character. I like how they didn’t make Emily’s arrival in Canada all sunset and roses. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Markie said:

I watched the first two episodes and am enjoying it. I like the Resistance aspect.  Commander Joseph is an interesting character. I like how they didn’t make Emily’s arrival in Canada all sunset and roses. 

I'm curious to see where they'll go with the resistance and with the refugees in Canada. 

The commander is tough to get a read on.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Loved the burning bed!  And some of the one liners are so funny.  “Let’s go Breaking Bad”. And “her walker just snapped and pushed her in front of a bus”!  And more!   

• I Agree 1

I'm liking it so far, but I'm having trouble with the June and Serena situation. Like, why is June being so sympathetic to her? The baby is June's and Nick's. I don't want to be made to feel sorry for the woman that stole her after holding her mother down while her husband raped her. I do want to see how Nick is feeling about it.

Also I'm still not over the whole "call her Nichole" thing

Edited by TuringMachine
  • Upvote 1

The June/Serena bond is definitely odd. But then again I have disliked many of the choices made by June so being all “oh Serena you ARE a mother” is just par for the course.

And again, why do the stupid handmaids wear the stupid white caps when they are dodging around in the dark. Might as well stick a beacon on their heads.

And June’s husband bonding so quickly with Nick-hole (sorry, but Nichole is a stupid way to spell Nicole) is also odd. Hi baby who my wife gave birth to because she was either raped or had an affair with some other guy.  

Reading this back I’m not even sure why I’m watching :D 

Edited by Blahblah
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, Blahblah said:

The June/Serena bond is definitely odd. But then again I have disliked many of the choices made by June so being all “oh Serena you ARE a mother” is just par for the course.

And again, why do the stupid handmaids wear the stupid white caps when they are dodging around in the dark. Might as well stick a beacon on their heads.

And June’s husband bonding so quickly with Nick-hole (sorry, but Nichole is a stupid way to spell Nicole) is also odd. Hi baby who my wife gave birth to because she was either raped or had an affair with some other guy.  

Reading this back I’m not even sure why I’m watching :D 

I mostly agree with you.

While I do think it might be a bit odd for Luke to have started bonding with baby Holly (I really don't want to call her Nichole, ick), it's a good thing. Luke needs something positive to focus on to try and keep himself from drowning in guilt, helplessness, and booze.

I think June telling Emily to call the baby Nichole was her throwing Serena a bone (if you can really call it that).

• Upvote 2

I think with some of June’s decisions and the Serena relationship the writers are trying to portray the invasive fingers of Stockholm Syndrome.  

Hulu has the first 4 episodes up now! I don't know how I feel anymore. 

I cried like a crazy person when Rory  Emily made it to Canada. I cried when she reunited with her family. Her story right now is much more interesting that June's, who is kind of annoying me. Why is June looking at Fred with something that's "not love, not really"? 

Commander Lawrence is interesting - what's his motivation for this? Is he really just bored? 

I love Janine, she's so openly loving and happy all the time. I can't believe Aunt Lydia! 

Thoughts this far? 

• Upvote 2

So far it’s shaping up to be better than season 2. I think episodes - and 4 were really good, but 2 and 4 dragged a little. I’m really hoping that it redeems itself after season 2.

I’m wondering what will happen to Janine and Aunt Lydia after the incident in episode 4.

6 hours ago, adidas said:

So far it’s shaping up to be better than season 2. I think episodes - and 4 were really good, but 2 and 4 dragged a little. I’m really hoping that it redeems itself after season 2.

I’m wondering what will happen to Janine and Aunt Lydia after the incident in episode 4.

I'm especially wondering about Aunt Lydia's fate. What happens when an Aunt outlives her usefulness? Is there some sort of retirement home?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dreadcrumbs said:

I'm especially wondering about Aunt Lydia's fate. What happens when an Aunt outlives her usefulness? Is there some sort of retirement home?

There were some Aunts in the colonies. ? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

There were some Aunts in the colonies. ? 

True, but are they there for reasons other than necessity? That is a question I hope they may answer.

• Upvote 1

I've been an avid watcher of the series since its inception and just finished watching all S3 episodes. 

I think the plot has completely jumped the shark. June would be so dead  and on the wall with all the shenanigans surrounding her. I am tired of the dark and blue toned filming (Can hardly see  even in the daytime) and June's earnest intense facial expressions. It was nice that the reception in Commander Putnam's house was  photographed with light and their house wasn't so damn dreary. Serena needs mental health assistance but ain't no mental health in Gilead.  I hope Emily and her mate warm up to each other, I don't understand their coldness. Aunt Lydia, fuck her, wish she had died. Commander Lawrence? Who the fuck knows about him?  I'll watch the rest of the season but I'm kind of over it.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

On 6/6/2019 at 3:15 PM, TuringMachine said:

Yes, see the separate thread just for S3.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Yes, see the separate thread just for S3.

They merged it all back together again, even though the mods said they weren't going to do that anymore. 

I started a separate season three (with spoilers) post for a reason; but I guess there just isn't enough interest. 

• Love 1

I told them to merge it. Conversation was happening in both places.

• Thank You 2

35 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I've been an avid watcher of the series since its inception and just finished watching all S3 episodes. 

I think the plot has completely jumped the shark. June would be so dead  and on the wall with all the shenanigans surrounding her. I am tired of the dark and blue toned filming (Can hardly see  even in the daytime) and June's earnest intense facial expressions. It was nice that the reception in Commander Putnam's house was  photographed with light and their house wasn't so damn dreary. Serena needs mental health assistance but ain't no mental health in Gilead.  I hope Emily and her mate warm up to each other, I don't understand their coldness. Aunt Lydia, fuck her, wish she had died. Commander Lawrence? Who the fuck knows about him?  I'll watch the rest of the season but I'm kind of over it.

This. All of this.

Why does it always seem to be winter? There are full gestation pregnancies and the babies are ageing so clearly the action isn’t set all in one season.

At this point I’m watching just because I need to see how they resolve some of the ridiculous plot lines they’ve set up.

Also, someone needs to have a genuine happy moment somewhere in this mess. And flashbacks don’t count. And neither does Janine who is clearly unhinged.

Why was June allowed to wander all over the Putnam’s house without anyone questioning her? 

This show is becoming “the emporer’s new clothes” for me. Rave reviews, everyone fawns over Elisabeth Moss. I’m not getting it.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

This. All of this.

Why does it always seem to be winter? There are full gestation pregnancies and the babies are ageing so clearly the action isn’t set all in one season.

At this point I’m watching just because I need to see how they resolve some of the ridiculous plot lines they’ve set up.

Also, someone needs to have a genuine happy moment somewhere in this mess. And flashbacks don’t count. And neither does Janine who is clearly unhinged.

Why was June allowed to wander all over the Putnam’s house without anyone questioning her? 

This show is becoming “the emporer’s new clothes” for me. Rave reviews, everyone fawns over Elisabeth Moss. I’m not getting it.

In regards to June, plot armor, I suppose.

It always being winter? Climate change or maybe it's all about the aesthetics. ?‍♀️

Edited by Dreadcrumbs
removal of extra quotation
  • Upvote 1