IGNORED

The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu

MargaretElliott

@EmiGirl, I was discussing this this episode with a college student I know, and he said, “Yes! That’s absolutely UConn!” A similar reaction happened (without the shooting) when a right-winger spoke on campus.

You guys, Serena is totally going to break, right?

She probably has a better chance of doing it then June, I'm not particularly excited by her newest burst of motivation to escape. Didn't work out so well last time and she wasn't about to give birth. But maybe I'm just cynical.

I'm worried for Nick, don't trust little Eden.

I wanna know more about Aunt Lydia's background!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, freethemall said:

I'm worried for Nick, don't trust little Eden.

Yeah, I'm not really sure he's gonna make it out of the series alive. 

I gotta say though, Nick's interactions with her make me so mad. Like I get it, she's a child you have no desire to be married to and you're in love with June. But if June can pretend to want to go to jezebels with her rapist I think you can hug or kiss Eden's forehead when she gives you cookies. Holy shit man, you're gonna get yourself killed!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 8

FYI, the Israeli trailer for next week shows that something deeply disturbing (even for HT!) happens and the episode comes with a strong trigger warning.
If you’d like more detail or me to give you the relevant time stamps to skip after it airs, feel free to PM me.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Destiny said:

FYI, the Israeli trailer for next week shows that something deeply disturbing (even for HT!) happens and the episode comes with a strong trigger warning.
If you’d like more detail or me to give you the relevant time stamps to skip after it airs, feel free to PM me.

Please message me if there's a baby death, that's my big trigger. Last week's episode was excruciating.

Episode 10 is so intense... I'm still shaking. I wonder what will happen now. I hope June will get a break finally, she's been through enough :(

• Upvote 1

Haven’t watched Ep. 10 yet, but did anyone else catch the part in Ep. 9 where, during the trip to Canada, Serena’s guide hands her a “schedule” that’s nothing but a list of pictures? It creeped me out intensely—it was a brilliant combo of “We’re respecting the laws of your land” and “Fuck you and yours, lady—we know you were an author and it gives us tremendous satisfaction to rub your forced aliteracy in your face.”

• Upvote 8

16 hours ago, Hane said:

Haven’t watched Ep. 10 yet, but did anyone else catch the part in Ep. 9 where, during the trip to Canada, Serena’s guide hands her a “schedule” that’s nothing but a list of pictures? It creeped me out intensely—it was a brilliant combo of “We’re respecting the laws of your land” and “Fuck you and yours, lady—we know you were an author and it gives us tremendous satisfaction to rub your forced aliteracy in your face.”

It was my favourite part. Serves you right Serena, you are living your dream now, aren't you?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

After this week's episode I have no sympathy left for Serena.  A woman who would do that...well, she deserves to stay in the prison that she helped create.  

• Upvote 9

On 6/14/2018 at 1:19 PM, freethemall said:

You guys, Serena is totally going to break, right?

She probably has a better chance of doing it then June, I'm not particularly excited by her newest burst of motivation to escape. Didn't work out so well last time and she wasn't about to give birth. But maybe I'm just cynical.

Holy Hellllll....... Serena broke all right - but broke in instead of out. Talk about quadrupling down on your rotten beliefs! 

Episode 10. Mind blowing. And sooo deep. With so many layers and details. They aren’t kidding with the warnings though. 

—- have people seen it yet? I need to do a deep dive. I’m hearing so many conflicting theories on motivations, reactions, etc.......

• Upvote 2

@Mama Mia, so true—and I’m reluctant to discuss it here, for fear of dropping in spoilers!

@Destiny, I misread your post and thought you meant that part of the episode would take place in Israel! That would be interesting, given the Christian fundamentalist obsession with Israel and its purported connection with events that will usher in the “End of Days” (stuff about a red heifer, etc.).

Edited by Hane
Added stuff.
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Hane said:

@Mama Mia, so true—and I’m reluctant to discuss it here, for fear of dropping in spoilers!

@Destiny, I misread your post and thought you meant that part of the episode would take place in Israel! That would be interesting, given the Christian fundamentalist obsession with Israel and its purported connection with events that will usher in the “End of Days” (stuff about a red heifer, etc.).

I know — I’m dying to go over it - I’m watching it again because there was just so much there to process. If people haven’t watched it by Sunday though....

2 hours ago, Hane said:

@Mama Mia, I gotta learn how to use the spoiler tag on my phone!

On the computer it's the eye button: image.png.3cf16ef4dd8cb7680afc8d786e917b43.png

But also can this thread title just have a spoiler warning, so we can all agree that if you come to this thread there will be spoilers? Can mods do that?

I actually thought that ep. 10 was the finale, I'm so happy it's not! The end seemed like a good place to end the season but I'm happy we get 2 more (is that correct?).

I maintain my prediction that Nick will die, and June will remain in Gilead.

Edited by freethemall
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

Just watched episode 10 and I cried until my head was sore and my stomach was sick. I have to psych myself up to watch this show every week and part of that is coming to this thread for a hint of whats to come so I can be slightly prepared. Every week it gets more frightening because a Gilead like state seems ever more likely in real life. The cross over between this week's episode and this week's news was almost too much to bear.

Edited by Ais
That is a horrendous piece of writing but I'm too upset to fix it
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

@freethemall there are 3 more episodes. 

I think that after it has been aired we are allowed to discuss the episode without spoilers? I’m happy to play it safe though. It screens in Australia a couple of days after the US but I generally don’t come into this thread until after I’ve watched it. 

Speculation, refers to the last episode (10) and the season 2 trailer.

Spoiler

I wonder if Eden and her crush are the people weighted down and sinking in the pool?

Now that a third season has been confirmed I think the last episode of this season will be a huge cliffhanger involving the baby. 

I read a massive spoiler in an interview with Elisabeth Moss before this season started (I can’t believe she gave away something so huge) and I think it will be a big part of the storyline in season 3.

Spoiler discussion coming!!!

I will link to the interview/article with the spoiler below. You’ll have to click to read it, but I will hide it in a spoiler box in case you want to skip it.

WARNING!!!

Do NOT open the following spoiler box if you don’t want to know what Elisabeth Moss gave away ... because the spoiler itself is part of the description in the written link. If you click on the spoiler box you WILL find out what she said. You will be SEVERELY upset if you want to avoid spoilers.

Last chance to turn away. Don’t click if you don’t want to know. 

I’m happy to speculate about my season 3 thoughts under a spoiler tag (and lots of warnings not to click haha) if others want to talk about it. 

• Upvote 1

It’s been two days. Discuss away. If you are watching in the first hour after it loads, be nice and use spoiler tags. At this point it’s been long enough that a reasonable person should expect spoilers. :)

• Upvote 1

@adidas that's not a surprise though, June and the whole show are preparing us for it. 

3 episodes, and here I thought we were done! What a pleasant surprise!

• Upvote 1

Here's what I think happened:

Spoiler

I think Waterford sicced the Guardians on Nick so he could get rid of him-after what June said he has to know that Nick might be/probably is the father of her baby.  I doubt that he told them that June might be with Nick, just something like 'he's been acting strange lately, I think he's going to be in that location today, you might want to check up on him.'  I suspect Waterford thought they would catch him there with June, and then Nick would be in real trouble.  I don't think he planned on Nick hiding her so they would only take him, and risk the baby's safety by leaving her there alone so close to delivery.  It would be a pretty big black mark on Waterford's reputation if it became public knowledge that the baby wasn't his, that his own driver had betrayed his trust, so he might very well say the baby was his, if only so he won't lose respect.  Of course it is possible that it was Eden, maybe she wants to get rid of him so she can remarry the Guardian she was kissing, and get some good old-fashioned revenge, but I'm more inclined to think Waterford on this one. 

And I think he did deliberately arrange June's meeting with Hannah to make it harder for her.  The way he said 'you deserve this' struck me as creepy, more like a punishment than a prize. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, delphinium65 said:

Here's what I think happened:

Hide contents

I think you are completely right. June was reckless in admitting to Fred that the baby isn't his, I don't understand why she keeps doing and saying reckless things that are going to make it impossible for to ever escape and also put other people in danger.

• I Agree 5

2 hours ago, freethemall said:

June was reckless in admitting to Fred that the baby isn't his, I don't understand why she keeps doing and saying reckless things that are going to make it impossible for to ever escape and also put other people in danger.

She was indeed.  Sometimes I just want to shake her and ask 'WTF, woman?'  June is a very imperfect person in a horrible situation.  

For what it's worth, I kind of want to shake Nick for his behavior towards Eden.  He didn't want to marry her, I get that, and she's not even an adult yet, but some kindness is in order IMO.  I mostly pity Eden.  In her worldview she has one job, and she's failing at that for reasons that really aren't her fault, and she doesn't fully understand why.  That doesn't entirely excuse her for doing stupid shit (kissing that Guardian? What the hell were you thinking, girl??!) that could get herself killed, and Nick too, but she's nowhere near mature enough to handle a failing marriage with a husband who simply doesn't care.  

• Upvote 9

I've gone back to the season 2 trailer to see the drowning couple. My new prediction: to save his own ass Nick is going to rat out on Eden, that's her and her boyfriend in the pool:

image.png.d4f7a79a3aa0f1bca45bccf2b1545c35.png

• Upvote 1

I’m wondering why she doesn’t have her shoes and stockings on, but he does. All the little details intrigue me. 

And I have to be honest, I really hope those details are tied up neatly. The new Twin Peaks was such a massive disappointment with promises that questions would be answered, but holes were left everywhere. Totally different show, producer etc ... but I’ve been stung!

My predictions, none of which will probably happen:

June makes it to Canada, but is in labor while crossing the border, has emergency c-section and almost dies. While she is unconscious, Waterfords show up and demand "their" baby, and Canadian government gives it up, because they need something from Gilead and as far as they know Waterford is the biological father (and they expect June to die). 
Season 3 then starts with June's realization that Canadian and other countries governments have problems of their own and they are willing to work with Gilead if they can get something from them. She has to figure out who she can trust and who will look another way, she is reunited with Luke, but things are very complicated, and most of all she has to locate and save two kids. We see a lot more of Canada and it's complicatedness and there are conflicts and clashing interests everywhere. Second storyline follows Emily and Janine, they both get deeper in resistance, but in very different ways - Emily gets very violent and ruthless, and Janine pushes boundaries by just saying and doing what she wants and creating something beautiful in all that darkness. 
Drowning couple is Eden and Nick, Waterford sent Guardians after Nick because of the letters (he already knew June's baby isn't his), and Emily is pregnant by dude who died at the beginning of the episode. 

• Upvote 2