IGNORED

The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu

MargaretElliott

So I’m in the midst of the episode so I’m just going to type as I watch.

first I want to say that yes, Serena is a bitch. But June definitely has her share of bitchy moments as well and does do things to screw herself and others. She does do things without thinking about the consequences she brings on other people. But that’s one of the reasons I love this show. I love, but want to smack all of the female characters.

1. The people at the university were just rude. I despise the current administration as much was the next person, but I absolutely would not condone this behavior. I believe in hearing people out. 

2. I know this is definitely not going to happen, but wouldn’t it be awesome for June and Serena to team up and bring shit down? I know they’re both unhappy.  They are both powerhouse women who could kick some serious ass if they banded together. I’d be like, “ok, this world sucks for everyone involved (even the men. Nick is miserable and I really don’t think Fred wanted it to go this far) and y’all started this shit so y’all have to help fix it. We will talk about finding an honest to God willing surrogate after you either fix it, or get us out of this god-forsaken place.”  Again, I know this couldn’t happen, but it would still entertain me.

3. June brought the whole blow up with Serena on herself. Ok, it wasn’t a blow up. But really, that is a huge ask. One that could put all of them on the Wall. I don’t blame her for going back to being bitchy. She was actually putting forth effort Andy then June goes and overreaches. 100% doing. Serena did take it too far though with the knitting needle.

4. Eden.... I just can’t even. I want to hate her, but she is so damn innocent. I would compare her to some of our fundie girls, but they know there’s more out there. This poor little girl doesn’t. It’s literally her entire culture. None of this is her fault. But damn her for existing, because I honestly thought nick might kill himself after they were mutually raped by the system. You know that he had to want to. And the whole hole in the bedsheet thing? The whole thing made me want to vomit. I’m surprised nick didn’t.

5. Fred got points at first for bringing the picture, but then got negative points expecting sex for it like June was some kind of whore. He has no chance of getting out the hole point wise, but he would have been a tiny bit closer.

6. Speaking of Fred, wtf was up with him murdering those people in the woods? 

7.Go Ofglen! Need I say more?

• Upvote 2

i think it's difficult to reduce any character's behavior on this show to bitchy vs. non-bitchy: the power differentials between women existing in the Gilead hierarchy create very complicated levels of privilege and the stakes are literally life and death in many cases.

I don't believe in hearing people out if their argument is intended to promote the view that I should not have rights in society or am less of a person than other citizens. People are free to express heinous views about all manner of subjects, but I am not required to provide them a platform from which to spew their hate, misogyny, etc., just my $0.02.

The child-bride wedding reminded me of some of our fundies here -- particularly Maranatha Chapman and her daughter, Lauren, who were both married off as teenagers (16-ish) to much older men and expected to helpmeet the shit out of some gross partriarchal fantasy created by their dads. A good reminder that Gilead is already here in some dimensions of our society.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, erunerune said:

I don't believe in hearing people out if their argument is intended to promote the view that I should not have rights in society or am less of a person than other citizens. People are free to express heinous views about all manner of subjects, but I am not required to provide them a platform from which to spew their hate

This is true, but throwing things and shouting obscenities doesn't get anyone anywhere. It just makes that kind of person more self righteous and feel enabled to use the persecution platform. 

I like to consider myself an idealist and would like to think that if people sit down and talk out issues with open minds on both sides that some sort of middle ground can be found. 

22 minutes ago, erunerune said:

i think it's difficult to reduce any character's behavior on this show to bitchy vs. non-bitchy: the power differentials between women existing in the Gilead hierarchy create very complicated levels of privilege and the stakes are literally life and death in many cases

I can agree with this. 

On 5/23/2018 at 9:54 PM, EmiGirl said:

1. The people at the university were just rude. I despise the current administration as much was the next person, but I absolutely would not condone this behavior. I believe in hearing people out. 

No need to hear that facist shit out. SJ's book was rude. Intense, yes, but the protesters weren't rude. This was't a tea party. I'm black though, so mabe that colors my opnion. Without a certain level f "rudeness", there would have been no civil rights movement. Shooting SJ? That was way over the line and just wrong. Cursing her? Not so much.

13 hours ago, EmiGirl said:

This is true, but throwing things and shouting obscenities doesn't get anyone anywhere. It just makes that kind of person more self righteous and feel enabled to use the persecution platform. 

I like to consider myself an idealist and would like to think that if people sit down and talk out issues with open minds on both sides that some sort of middle ground can be found. 

Not with extremists. There's no talking with the KKK or alt-right, they don't view the people they hate as worthy of talking to. Try reasoning with Trump. People have to be decent for your idealistic stance to work. And I don't care how people like SJ feel. 

13 hours ago, erunerune said:

A good reminder that Gilead is already here in some dimensions of our society.

Margaret Atwood said that the things in her novel had really happened somewhere at some time.

13 hours ago, erunerune said:

I don't believe in hearing people out if their argument is intended to promote the view that I should not have rights in society or am less of a person than other citizens. People are free to express heinous views about all manner of subjects, but I am not required to provide them a platform from which to spew their hate, misogyny, etc., just my $0.02.

I totally agree.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

Except for the end, this was the first episode that I started to get a bit bored with.  Some of the scenes just seemed to re-hash things that have already been established.  We get it, Nick feels conflicted about having to sleep with a 15-year-old (among other things), we already know Serena's a manipulative beyotch, etc.

I feel conflicted about June.  I'm not sure if it's partly the actress, though I think she's doing a great job.  For a smart character she keeps making really stupid/odd choices.      

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

Except for the end, this was the first episode that I started to get a bit bored with.  Some of the scenes just seemed to re-hash things that have already been established.  We get it, Nick feels conflicted about having to sleep with a 15-year-old (among other things), we already know Serena's a manipulative beyotch, etc.

I feel conflicted about June. I'm not sure if it's partly the actress, though I think she's doing a great job.  For a smart character she keeps making really stupid/odd choices.      

BBM I’ve said this before but I find it really offputting that she resembles ThatWife. Not the actress’ fault of course!

• Upvote 1

On 5/23/2018 at 10:54 PM, EmiGirl said:

So I’m in the midst of the episode so I’m just going to type as I watch.

first I want to say that yes, Serena is a bitch. But June definitely has her share of bitchy moments as well and does do things to screw herself and others. She does do things without thinking about the consequences she brings on other people. But that’s one of the reasons I love this show. I love, but want to smack all of the female characters.

2. I know this is definitely not going to happen, but wouldn’t it be awesome for June and Serena to team up and bring shit down? I know they’re both unhappy.  They are both powerhouse women who could kick some serious ass if they banded together. I’d be like, “ok, this world sucks for everyone involved (even the men. Nick is miserable and I really don’t think Fred wanted it to go this far) and y’all started this shit so y’all have to help fix it. We will talk about finding an honest to God willing surrogate after you either fix it, or get us out of this god-forsaken place.”  Again, I know this couldn’t happen, but it would still entertain me.

3. June brought the whole blow up with Serena on herself. Ok, it wasn’t a blow up. But really, that is a huge ask. One that could put all of them on the Wall. I don’t blame her for going back to being bitchy. She was actually putting forth effort Andy then June goes and overreaches. 100% doing. Serena did take it too far though with the knitting needle.

@EmiGirl you totally predicted Serena and June teaming up!

I cried ugly tears when the handmaids took their names back. I'm talking snot, red face, the whole nine yards. I loved the crap out of that scene. <3

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

12 hours ago, freethemall said:

@EmiGirl you totally predicted Serena and June teaming up!

I was so freaking excited. I really think that the two of them together could take everything down and find a better solution.

7 hours ago, Destiny said:

I cried ugly tears when the handmaids took their names back. I'm talking snot, red face, the whole nine yards. I loved the crap out of that scene. <3

I loved it too!! I kn a little worried though because I think that eden is trouble and she was obviously concerned over the situation.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

5 hours ago, EmiGirl said:

I loved it too!! I kn a little worried though because I think that eden is trouble and she was obviously concerned over the situation.

Oh. she's going to tattle. That little so and so is a true believer. I'm wondering if she is (book spoiler ahead)

Spoiler

who ends up eventually taking out Waterford. He's due for death pretty much any time according to the book.

No matter what, there will be consequences for that event thanks to her tattling. I hope to any and all gods that Nick was smart about what he did with those letters, cos I feel like girlfriend is gonna be doing some snooping.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Destiny said:

No matter what, there will be consequences for that event thanks to her tattling. I hope to any and all gods that Nick was smart about what he did with those letters

Oh definitely. I go back and forth wondering if she's a spy sent to spy on the spy since it was Nick's eye supervisor who assigned her to him. On one hand he really trusts nick, but on the other hand, he is an eye himself and therefore suspicious of all his underlings.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, EmiGirl said:

I was so freaking excited. I really think that the two of them together could take everything down and find a better solution.

The only part I disagree with is Serena being a part of the solution. She has A LOT of blood on her hands and deserves a whole boatload of justice.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

39 minutes ago, freethemall said:

The only part I disagree with is Serena being a part of the solution. She has A LOT of blood on her hands and deserves a whole boatload of justice.

Yes, she does, but I really want to believe in redemption.

In case anyone wants to appreciate the awesome that was that scene again. <3

• Thank You 1
  • Love 1

I have never been so excited to see someone click a pen in my life! Serena was a huge part of the original problem but I wouldn't be surprised if she is part of the solution now that she realises how badly off she is herself. I can see a situation where Waterford is the public face and Serena runs the operation behind closed doors.

• Upvote 1

Eden wants to decorate with yellow? I bet cheerful colors are outlawed, everything is so damn drab. I bet modern architecture and design was outlawed too. That's one thing I liked about the 1990 movie, the Waterford house looked cleaner and colors were brighter all over. On Hulu, gray, green, blue all look the same because they are so washed out.

Back in Ep. 6, I cried like a baby during the opening handmaid funeral scene, mostly because of the lyrics that I had on closed caption. Having suffered the recent loss of my mother, the words spoke directly to my heart, not to mention the ritual funeral ceremony. 

Gilead was doomed from the start, with those dumbass men in charge. Not testing men for fertility, then discarding fertile women because they don't concieve, not to mention only fucking once a month, it is all insanity. They aren't concerned about the population shortage at all. Then, when a top neonatologist is available, Fred won't let her examine baby Angela because she's a fucking Martha now. Serena made it happen though. Damn, she is human after all. 

That Putnam woman, somebody should call the Gilead equivalent of child protective services on her. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

I think this episode was good at showing a lot of  levels of empathy between various classes, all uniting over one thing. I mean they all have been yammering about babies babies babies but have gotten so removed from the process. Janine singing at the end broke my heart. i don’t see a good end for her. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I was a little disappointed with the writing this season, because the characters could do reckless things and suffer no consequences. For example, Nick and Serena making out in the hospital - how could they be so stupid! And no problem, nothing happens! Also, how comfortable June feels around the Woterfords' house. Or talks back to guardians, like in this episode. Or the Handmaids whispering in the store. I know June can get away with more now she's pregnant but c'mon, first season created this atmosphere of complete terror and distrust, and I feel they are straying away from that to have those melodramatic scenes.

The horryfying scene where Waterford "punishes" his wife will have a big importance,I feel. I wonder if the beating and the humiliation will make Serena realize the evils of the systems she helped to create...or will it just hurt her pride and she won't cooperate with June in any way (which is what that dickhead Fred wants). Have you guys seen the preview for the next episode? I also saw some leaks on Reddit and apparently 

Spoiler

there will be a confrontation between the Commander and Luke in Canada

Can't wait! Finally some interesting plotline for Luke this season!

Also, Eden will stir shit up sooner or later, probably pretty soon.

Edited by ScorpiousMalfoy
apparently I don't know how to write
  • Upvote 5

5 hours ago, ScorpiousMalfoy said:

The horryfying scene where Waterford "punishes" his wife will have a big importance,

Do you think it was the first time?  My husband and I were discussing this, and I don't think it was.  She didn't seem terribly surprised when it became clear what he was going to do.   I wonder if it had been a long time since he had punished her that way, or maybe it was the first time he punished her for doing something like trying to save a baby's life, maybe he hit her a lot harder this time, forcing a handmaid to watch may have been new...anyway, if Serena wasn't regretting her part in creating Gilead before, she may be now.  It was indeed horrifying, and difficult to watch.  

Edited by delphinium65
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

45 minutes ago, delphinium65 said:

Do you think it was the first time?  My husband and I were discussing this, and I don't think it was.  She didn't seem terribly surprised when it became clear what he was going to do.   I wonder if it had been a long time since he had punished her that way, or maybe it was the first time he punished her for doing something like trying to save a baby's life, maybe he hit her a lot harder this time, forcing a handmaid to watch may have been new...anyway, if Serena wasn't regretting her part in creating Gilead before, she may be now.  It was indeed horrifying, and difficult to watch.  

This is a good point. I think it would make sense, psychologically; before the war Serena was the star and the public person of the two. After Gilead was established maybe Fred wanted to enforce the patriarchy in their home... and being a pathetic cockroach that he is, he decided to do it the domestic discipline style

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

Does anyone have an idea of how long the Commander was supposed to be in the hospital, with Serena and June have their editing alliance? I read a review that mentioned this was several months, which didn't make sense with June's pregnancy to me.

That shot at the end with Janine singing to her baby in her underwear was beautiful and made me cry a little. I guessed at the beginning that some mother's love was going to let things end the way it did. I wonder if the Putnams and other families will reconsider the role of handmaids in their child's lives. If they were truly imitating Old Testament practices, both the wife and handmaid would be sister wives, co-mothers to the child.

• Upvote 5

Baby Charangela suffered from failure to thrive syndrome. She wasn't loved. The birth mother doesn't have to be the one supplying the love, as long as somebody does. Naomi is incapable of loving her. Maybe Lydia can pull strings and get the baby out of that toxic hellhole. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

On 6/7/2018 at 8:27 AM, delphinium65 said:

I got the feeling any previous punishments had been  less severe and more symbolic in nature. Having June there, and having it come after her bit of freedom and power -  and then disobeying for something she believed in - made it infinitely worse. Probably especially since at that point she was already a wreck /drained thinking it was all for nothing and the baby had died. 

It was very ritualistic, and she knew the ritual. I wouldn’t be surprised if she was the one who had it encoded ( or at least agreed it was a good idea ) when coming up with the rules of Gilead. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

I got the feeling any previous punishments had been  less severe and more symbolic in nature. Having June there, and having it come after her bit of freedom and power -  and then disobeying for something she believed in - made it infinitely worse. Probably especially since at that point she was already a wreck /drained thinking it was all for nothing and the baby had died. 

It was very ritualistic, and she knew the ritual. I wouldn’t be surprised if she was the one who had it encoded ( or at least agreed it was a good idea ) when coming up with the rules of Gilead. 

I agree—and bet that she probably figured she was a privileged character to whom this would never apply.

Does anyone else remember the scene in which everyone in the neighborhood had put their old clothes out to the curb to be hauled away, and Serena Joy’s new teal “Commander’s Wife” dresses were delivered? She stood there looking at them with what appeared to be grim resignation.

It was horrendous that Fred let Serena off scot-free for her rulebreaking when it benefited him personally—an actual murder—but punished her brutally when she forged his orders to have a Martha temporarily restored to her rightful role as neonatologist. All of this proves to me that Gilead cares squat about “restoring fertility” and is really all about the subjugation of women.

Edited by Hane
Extra stuff!
  • Upvote 6