IGNORED

The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu

MargaretElliott

Really? I've been using it for years, and I'm at least a few years older than June. It sounds exactly like something I would say, actually.

It's so interesting how some people can see the exact same words, and have such a different feel about them. Humanity fascinates me!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Destiny said:

Really? I've been using it for years, and I'm at least a few years older than June. It sounds exactly like something I would say, actually.

It's so interesting how some people can see the exact same words, and have such a different feel about them. Humanity fascinates me!

Perhaps it's because I'm an old fart, haha. I'm considerably older than June.

17 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

I don't think the Hulu show is meant to be set in the 80's like when Atwood wrote the book, I think the producers want it to feel/look contemporary. The clothing and vehicles don't look 80's either.

I think the Gilead (book or movie) is always meant to be the proverbial "twenty minutes into the future" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TwentyMinutesIntoTheFuture). Which is always tricky.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

9 hours ago, justmissedquiver said:

Perhaps it's because I'm an old fart, haha. I'm considerably older than June.

Do we actually even know how old she is? I know Elisabeth is mid-30s, but is June's age ever established? I just assume mid-30s as well based on the things we know have happened in her life. 

You guys, I just watched this week's episode and I want to either go curl up in a ball and weep, or start a rebellion against Gilead. Or both. Poor, poor June. </3

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Destiny said:

Do we actually even know how old she is? I know Elisabeth is mid-30s, but is June's age ever established? I just assume mid-30s as well based on the things we know have happened in her life. 

Well, she's in her child bearing years, (which makes her a young un to me) into her career life when she meets her partner, and has a school aged child, so that sounds about right. 

Just finished this week's ep. In this episode more than others, I see parallels from my fundamentalist upbringing. The brainwashing and gaslighting - it turns my stomach into knots. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

I didn't like June's affair with a married man, her husband was kind of an asshole before he divorced his first wife. I've been on the receiving end of that shit and women shouldn't do that shit to each other. And she absolutely caused the destruction of the econofamily she forced herself on, even though I understand her sheer desperation at that point. That said, if adulteresses were made into handmaids, what happened to the man? June actually seemed a bit of an airhead to me, she just didn't read the signals of impending doom and even considered having another child! I like how Aunt Lydia manages Serena Joy, who is the world's frostiest woman. I can't see her being anyone's mother. Gilead is a fertility cult with a bunch of creepy-ass rituals. I would question my humanity if I could go for a stroll with bodies hanging up and not be bothered. I hope the show ends showing the destruction of Gilead and all the commanders, aunts, and the like being tried for crimes against humanity. This is a sad, sad show, but I can't look away.

I read somewhere that June is about 34.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

On 4/30/2018 at 6:10 PM, LilMissMetaphor said:

The use of this phrase actually took me right out of the show for a bit because, while people (including me) say that now, they certainly didn't when Atwood was writing the novel.  I'm not usually a book/show purist especially over such a small detail but I did find that inclusion jarring.  I feel like it dated the moment too much, or something? 

The show is 100% set today, not in the 80's, and this season has now gone beyond the novel. I think it makes sense when they use modern phrases, it would feel more dated if everything was 80's. Anything goes at this point outside the novel.

Do any of you follow Krista Gay on instagram? She watches this show, which is so interesting since she's from the fundie world, though not particularly fundie herself at this point since she goes to law school and is very critical of things in her religion (she currently has an instagram story about Christians being un-Christian and hypocritical). She posted something interesting about the show, asking what religion are Gilead's extremist followers? I always assumed Christian but she pointed out that up until last night with the "let the little children come to me" quote, there is no mention of Jesus or anything from the New Testament. In a way the show has left the religion vague, which is very interesting. Anyone else have thoughts?

My favorite scene last night was when June said they gave away half their baby shower gifts. I can see why Serena was pissed - June completely called her out on what a hypocrite she is and that she doesn't truly have any morals. The truth is truly a bitch.

• Upvote 4

@Destiny In one of the recent episodes, June actually states that she's 34. 

Some people say that Gilead is Christian, but I disagree. I just think they, like many cults, pick parts of the Bible to justify their actions. They do it in the name of God to make it sound more righteous, but they are not actually Christ-followers, thus not Christian. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Marionette said:

@Destiny In one of the recent episodes, June actually states that she's 34. 

Some people say that Gilead is Christian, but I disagree. I just think they, like many cults, pick parts of the Bible to justify their actions. They do it in the name of God to make it sound more righteous, but they are not actually Christ-followers, thus not Christian. 

Sadly, following Christ is optional for many Christians. Read the statements of faith for most churches/denominations, you will find much about following the bible but nothing about adhering to Christ's teachings. Many Christians revere Paul more than Jesus. I wish Christendom actually was comprised of Christ followers. 

Gilead is indeed Christian, in it's most ugly, reductionist, fundamentalist, old testament focused form. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

9 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Sadly, following Christ is optional for many Christians. Read the statements of faith for most churches/denominations, you will find much about following the bible but nothing about adhering to Christ's teachings. Many Christians revere Paul more than Jesus. I wish Christendom actually was comprised of Christ followers. 

Gilead is indeed Christian, in it's most ugly, reductionist, fundamentalist, old testament focused form. 

You're right. I just had that realization last year, that I was not really taught about Jesus' life & ministry while growing up in an IFB church. His crucifixion was emphasized, but I was really not taught how to lead a Christian life following Jesus' example (which Paul says we should, btw. I don't know why Paul is the fundie-Jesus, he claimed to be the chief of sinners. I like studying his letters, but he was just a man).  Instead, I was taught how to be the "right" type of Christian - i.e. IFB, KJV, and eventually embracing purity and how to dress modestly, when I ended up being involved in IBLP for a few years. I'm afraid this is true for many of the families discussed on here, which is why they tend to be hypocritical and so un-Christlike. 

I do agree that Christians forget about Jesus... Which seems like an oxymoron. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2018 at 2:30 PM, freethemall said:

The show is 100% set today, not in the 80's, and this season has now gone beyond the novel. I think it makes sense when they use modern phrases, it would feel more dated if everything was 80's. Anything goes at this point outside the novel.

Do any of you follow Krista Gay on instagram? She watches this show, which is so interesting since she's from the fundie world, though not particularly fundie herself at this point since she goes to law school and is very critical of things in her religion (she currently has an instagram story about Christians being un-Christian and hypocritical). She posted something interesting about the show, asking what religion are Gilead's extremist followers? I always assumed Christian but she pointed out that up until last night with the "let the little children come to me" quote, there is no mention of Jesus or anything from the New Testament. In a way the show has left the religion vague, which is very interesting. Anyone else have thoughts?

My favorite scene last night was when June said they gave away half their baby shower gifts. I can see why Serena was pissed - June completely called her out on what a hypocrite she is and that she doesn't truly have any morals. The truth is truly a bitch.

Did you see that Krista started google hangout discussion groups to talk about this? I signed up for one because I think it would be interesting to talk about this with fundies/Duggar circle women. Thought you may be interested. 

21 hours ago, newyorkgirl52 said:

Did you see that Krista started google hangout discussion groups to talk about this? I signed up for one because I think it would be interesting to talk about this with fundies/Duggar circle women. Thought you may be interested. 

I also filled out the form, but I doubt I can do most of those times.

She's on her way to Arkansas, she should introduce the show to some of her friends in Tontitown!

• Upvote 1

On 5/15/2018 at 2:54 PM, newyorkgirl52 said:

Link please?

Just watched episode 5. Just when you think Gilead couldn't get more fucked up, they marry off young girls to favored Guardians in a cult ceremony where they have never seen each other. Including Nick. While June watches. WTF. Love is totally irrelevant.  As is consent. Waterford knows Nick fathered "his" child. I wouldn't want to be a wife or anybody else in that mess of a so-called society...do those people ever laugh? The joy is just sucked out of life, out of the very air. I so hoped June would lose the baby, the Waterfords don't deserve it, none of those commander assholes or their sadistic wives do. I worry about that teething baby, that crone of a mother has a constantly pinched look and doesn't seem to be too happy with motherhood. Serena Joy can't stand Aunt Lydia, who revels in her power as chief aunt in charge of handmaids. And Serena Joy is a gossip too! Isn't that a sin? 

The colonies are so hard to watch, but you got to give it to Janine, she is irrepressible. Arranging a wedding in that hellhole! That was hard on Emily, whose own marriage was deemed invalid by Gilead. The thing about the colonies is that heavy machinery would move that toxic waste a lot better than weak and sick women. Is the whole point just punishment? I was amazed that despite the brutal and inhuman conditions, love flourished. It was like that during slavery too, couples jumped the broom, and despite not being legal these weddings were celebrated. My ancestors were incredibly strong people. 

Could those hospitals get any more sterile? They match Gilead perfectly.  I hope that voters come out in unprecedented numbers this fall, if Pence became president we would be just that much closer to Gilead becoming real. They all need to go, the Russians too.

Looking forward to episode 6.

Edited by SilverBeach
remembered Emily's name!
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1

On 5/16/2018 at 5:55 PM, SilverBeach said:

Just watched episode 5. Just when you think Gilead couldn't get more fucked up, they marry off young girls to favored Guardians in a cult ceremony where they have never seen each other. Including Nick. While June watches. WTF. Love is totally irrelevant.  As is consent. Waterford knows Nick fathered "his" child. I wouldn't want to be a wife or anybody else in that mess of a so-called society...do those people ever laugh? The joy is just sucked out of life, out of the very air. I so hoped June would lose the baby, the Waterfords don't deserve it, none of those commander assholes or their sadistic wives do. I worry about that teething baby, that crone of a mother has a constantly pinched look and doesn't seem to be too happy with motherhood. Serena Joy can't stand Aunt Lydia, who revels in her power as chief aunt in charge of handmaids. And Serena Joy is a gossip too! Isn't that a sin? 

The colonies are so hard to watch, but you got to give it to Janine, she is irrepressible. Arranging a wedding in that hellhole! That was hard on Emily, whose own marriage was deemed invalid by Gilead. The thing about the colonies is that heavy machinery would move that toxic waste a lot better than weak and sick women. Is the whole point just punishment? I was amazed that despite the brutal and inhuman conditions, love flourished. It was like that during slavery too, couples jumped the broom, and despite not being legal these weddings were celebrated. My ancestors were incredibly strong people. 

Could those hospitals get any more sterile? They match Gilead perfectly.  I hope that voters come out in unprecedented numbers this fall, if Pence became president we would be just that much closer to Gilead becoming real. They all need to go, the Russians too.

Looking forward to episode 6.

Here's the link to the group sign up: 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe6-NZq2rPzvgi9aRGI1mqc997Hc5p4ssInrY_AB9SScfk7nA/viewform

• Thank You 1

16 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Link please?

The link to the poll is in her instagram bio.

(the discussion group has not actually begun yet, she mostly posts her thoughts about the show in her instagram stories so you have to follow her to see those)

edit: sorry @newyorkgirl52 just realized you already posted the link!

Did anyone realize there were no flashbacks last night?

I'm excited to see Serena's flashbacks next week, it's pretty clear that she misses some parts of her old life and didn't realize what a mess she helped create in Gilead. She is such a good example of how women who speak out against women's rights do not realize their own rights to speak out are just as vulnerable, and that they are privileged in having that freedom that they want to suppress in others. The moment she seemed jealous of Aunt Lydia being able to write things in a notebook was really poignant, I wonder if next week we'll see her writing and reading.

I would love to see some Aunt Lydia flashbacks. This week we saw that she is exempt from the writing/reading ban, and she mentioned about having smoked cigarettes in her past. I would be fascinated to know more about what she was like before she was the evil Aunt Lydia we know now. 

Edited by freethemall
link removed
  • Upvote 6

On 5/17/2018 at 8:39 AM, freethemall said:

(the discussion group has not actually begun yet, she mostly posts her thoughts about the show in her instagram stories so you have to follow her to see those)

edit: sorry @newyorkgirl52 just realized you already posted the link!

Did anyone realize there were no flashbacks last night?

I'm excited to see Serena's flashbacks next week, it's pretty clear that she misses some parts of her old life and didn't realize what a mess she helped create in Gilead. She is such a good example of how women who speak out against women's rights do not realize their own rights to speak out are just as vulnerable, and that they are privileged in having that freedom that they want to suppress in others. The moment she seemed jealous of Aunt Lydia being able to write things in a notebook was really poignant, I wonder if next week we'll see her writing and reading.

I would love to see some Aunt Lydia flashbacks. This week we saw that she is exempt from the writing/reading ban, and she mentioned about having smoked cigarettes in her past. I would be fascinated to know more about what she was like before she was the evil Aunt Lydia we know now. 

Wow, I think this is deep "She is such a good example of how women who speak out against women's rights do not realize their own rights to speak out are just as vulnerable, and that they are privileged in having that freedom that they want to suppress in others. The moment she seemed jealous of Aunt Lydia being able to write things in a notebook was really poignant, I wonder if next week we'll see her writing and reading."

We've seen her reading and writing before. 

I read this interview that said the reason there were not flashbacks is that June is forgetting her former life and is just living in the current hell-ish state without remembrance of a "better" time. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, newyorkgirl52 said:

Wow, I think this is deep "She is such a good example of how women who speak out against women's rights do not realize their own rights to speak out are just as vulnerable, and that they are privileged in having that freedom that they want to suppress in others. The moment she seemed jealous of Aunt Lydia being able to write things in a notebook was really poignant, I wonder if next week we'll see her writing and reading."

We've seen her reading and writing before. 

I read this interview that said the reason there were not flashbacks is that June is forgetting her former life and is just living in the current hell-ish state without remembrance of a "better" time. 

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic when you say "this is deep". 

Have we seen Aunt Lydia writing/reading or Serena? I can't remember, but that moment last night was particularly interesting because of the hateful way Serena eyed Aunt Lydia's notebook, and Aunt Lydia had to explain that she has an exception to log pregnancy stats.

That makes sense about June not having flashbacks, but we didn't see any flashbacks from other characters either. Besides Aunt Lydia I'd like to see some Jeannine flashbacks.

On 5/17/2018 at 2:58 PM, freethemall said:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic when you say "this is deep". 

Have we seen Aunt Lydia writing/reading or Serena? I can't remember, but that moment last night was particularly interesting because of the hateful way Serena eyed Aunt Lydia's notebook, and Aunt Lydia had to explain that she has an exception to log pregnancy stats.

That makes sense about June not having flashbacks, but we didn't see any flashbacks from other characters either. Besides Aunt Lydia I'd like to see some Jeannine flashbacks.

I'm so sorry, I was being totally serious! I really appreciated that thought so I typed what I was thinking...I hadn't thought of that and found it very thought-provoking. 

In season 1 before Serena goes and speaks before a council thing she is going through flash cards and then Fred tells her she can't go in and is disappointed. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, freethemall said:

I don't do social media of any type, but thanks, someone else posted the link.

7 hours ago, newyorkgirl52 said:

I'm so sorry, I was being totally serious! I really appreciated that thought so I typed what I was thinking...I hadn't thought of that and found it very thought-provoking

I didn't think you were being sarcastic at all. 

• Upvote 1

If I was prohibited from reading and writing, I wouldn't want to live. What do women do in Gilead? Can't try new recipeis, do word puzzles, even read product directions. Their society  looks like a giant preschool with those stupid pictures on everything. Lori Alexander would love it! iIs school for boys only in Gilead? How ironic that in SJ's little speech snippet she mentions fulfilling a God given destiny, and I assume she was talking about having children.Then, she couldn't have any!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

10 hours ago, newyorkgirl52 said:

I'm so sorry, I was being totally serious! I really appreciated that thought so I typed what I was thinking...I hadn't thought of that and found it very thought-provoking. 

In season 1 before Serena goes and speaks before a council thing she is going through flash cards and then Fred tells her she can't go in and is disappointed. 

Don't worry about it, I was just confused - whenever I've heard someone say "that's deep" it's usually in this context:

image.png.2ee0348f356e94de4b5dcb01f9bd6c21.pngimage.png.9280abc584e347922927c2eee7830dfa.png

image.png.2b45a87a36e8dffd6a2631daee94ea2d.pngimage.png

Edited by freethemall

Episode 6-wow!

The fucksheet, the bombing of the new red center, handmaid deaths (they get red coffins even), SJ and June doing their dance, there were so many noteworthy moments. SJ's brunch! Heaven forbid, that was the most awful excuse for a social event I have ever seen. She wore the pants in her marriage pre-Gilead (be a man!). I don't really like or believe nice SJ and was glad when she reverted to her normal mean self toward the end of the epiode. I'm glad there were no scenes in the colonies, I find those hard to tolerate, although last week's wedding was both heartwarming and heartbreaking.

Oh, June got her furniture back, I think it was upgraded even.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1