IGNORED

The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu

MargaretElliott

I'm rewatching episodes with my friend who's behind. We just finished season 2, and I gotta say, rewatching the episodes, especially one right after the other, has made me more furious at the "call her nicole" nonsense. Calling her Holly was so lovely. And she had that sweet moment with Nick where he said the name feels right. But no, instead of honoring her grandmother lets honor her kidnapper who also raped and tortured her mother. I swear they better go back to calling her Holly. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, AmericanRose said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I still don't get that. I mean, wouldn't calling her Nichole honour Nick more than Serena...?

No. Because Serena named her Nicole. That name is fruit of the poisonous tree.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

No. Because Serena named her Nicole. That name is fruit of the poisonous tree.

Ohhh. I must have missed that. That's... odd. Maybe June was trying to make Serena feel beholden to her, but I don't get it.

Unexpectedly, I stumbled upon this clip on YT that contrasts both versions of THM, one from the 80s or 90s and the contemporary series by Hulu. Thought it was interesting in how the people and Gilead were portrayed. I actually find the older version a lot more horrifying. It is brighter, more colorful, and way more macabre. The sun ain't going to stop shining just because there's a terrible movement overturning a government and forming a regime. 

Obvious difference in fashion. The older version's frumpy clothing fits better to a pseudo-Christian Gilead IMHO. Then again, the actors in the Hulu series convey so much more emotion. 

Spoiler

Edited by Pretzel
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, Pretzel said:

I actually find the older version a lot more horrifying.

It accurately portrayed the removal of black people. I enjoyed the movie so much, Richard Duvall and Faye Dunaway are fabulous actors. Serena Joy was older like in the book. I could actually see the movie, Hulu is just so dark it's hard to make out details..

• I Agree 3

10 hours ago, Pretzel said:

The older version's frumpy clothing fits better to a pseudo-Christian Gilead IMHO.

The thing is whilst now these clothes appear "frumpy" at the time they where quite the height of fashion....oh gosh, I even wore some very similar to these.

I do however agree with the rest of what you say. I also liked the veil over the face. Mind you I also still love the series, bumps and all.

• Upvote 1

One of the things I really liked about the movie is that it conveys the sense of isolation you get from the book. We, the audience, only know what Offred knows, and she lives in a society where information is tightly controlled. The world building on the show really negates that feeling.

I remember reading something awhile back (can't remember where) that the costume choices in the movie were mostly due to that department having a very small budget. The costume director said that they found a local Sears store that was going out of business, and basically just bought out a bunch of their old stock. I think it worked really well for the red dresses (those things were sack-ish and frumpy even for the early 90s), except for one or two scenes were you can see a slit in the skirt (which I can't imagine would have ever gone over in Gilead). The 80s power suits on the wives were pretty anachronistic, though.  I remember a lot of criticism at the time about the lack of bonnets, because of the whole aspect of restricted sight, etc. but I think that was also just a budget issue. I did really like the way they used red scarves over the face in some of the scenes.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought The Testaments today! Went to the brick and mortar bookstore. Can't wait to dig into it tonight. I figured this was one for the bookshelf collection, to match THT. I'll report back with my thoughts when done.

• Upvote 3

On 9/29/2019 at 6:50 AM, SilverBeach said:

I'll report back with my thoughts when done.

I look forward to hearing them. Nobody  I know has read it yet. 

I only purchased the ebook version. However, that being said, when next I am in a town big enough to actually have a book shop I will get a hard copy as well. I NEED it to go next to my Handmaiden book on my book shelf when I get my library set up. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/28/2019 at 4:50 PM, SilverBeach said:

I bought The Testaments today! Went to the brick and mortar bookstore. Can't wait to dig into it tonight. I figured this was one for the bookshelf collection, to match THT. I'll report back with my thoughts when done.

@SilverBeach, I’m curious about what you thought of The Testaments. I started it the minute it was delivered to me (got the hardcover) and was done in less than forty-eight hours.

I was disappointed. Didn’t hate it, but didn’t love it (as I’d expected to- my mistake!).

That’s all I’ll say right now.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Lizzybet said:

@SilverBeach, I’m curious about what you thought of The Testaments. I started it the minute it was delivered to me (got the hardcover) and was done in less than forty-eight hours.

I was disappointed. Didn’t hate it, but didn’t love it (as I’d expected to- my mistake!).

That’s all I’ll say right now.

Spoiler

Just, finished it today, I devoured it too. I liked it, although I had questions about some of the plotlines. The complete diminishment of June, with no backstory about how she got of Gilead, was disappointing. It seemed a little improbable that both of her daughters ended up working together to bring down Gilead. And Aunt Lydia sure could hold a grudge! I liked the nun-like system of producing new Aunts. Hated the pedophilia. It seems like there is so much more to write about. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I liked it but need to read it again before I really digest it. 

Some non spoilery thoughts:

Aunt Lydia seemed influenced by Ann Dowd in a big way.

The ending seemed super rushed.

It was less shocking and more entertainment-focussed than the original book imo. 

• I Agree 1

5 hours ago, adidas said:

Aunt Lydia seemed influenced by Ann Dowd in a big way.

I kept visualizing Ann Dowd when reading, she is Aunt Lydia now. 

• I Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

I binge watched seasons 2 and 3 this past week. So many feelings, guys. I actually had very explicit nightmares this Saturday after watching a bunch of s3 episodes. 

Can’t wait to read the book and The Testaments. Not now though because my brain needs some happier media before visiting Gillead again. 

Spoilers

Spoiler

I’m so sad because I loved Lawrence and Eleanor and thinking of what’s gonna happen to him now is making me all kinds of upset  :(  Like, who’s gonna help June now? I doubt any other ranking Commander has an ounce of humanity. 

And I loved seeing Serena get arrested too (that bitch even called June by her slave name!). I really hated the show trying to humanize her - she has as much responsibility for creating this nightmare world as Fred does.

Edited by HeadshipRegent
  • Upvote 3

• 2 months later...

Guys, I'm just now binge watching this Tale.  Holy shit. It's not a good binge watch.  It's making me insane with anger.  I swear, this show should be required watching in 12th grade. After reading the book.  Go forth unto the world after watching this series kids. For real.  It can and has ( similar enough) come true irl.  

It's visceral.  I keep thinking of African slaves. It's odd that race doesn't mean anything in this series' world. I'm so used to race and skin color affecting actions that it's strange to not have it play a factor.  

I haven't read the book, I saw the movie made in the 90's (?).  I'm on season 2 ep 8.  Offred is now in labor. 

Stoked to read your thoughts here even though I'm very late in watching.  I can picture our fucking president ( not mine though or yours), Pence, and Sean Hannity as commanders. Just to name 3.  Help!  Fucking hell, this is brutal. 

• Upvote 3

On 6/16/2017 at 12:16 PM, SilverBeach said:

WOW! The last episode of the season was so powerful, and true to the book. It ended where the book ended, so it will be interesting to see where season 2 goes.

Serena Joy is a sadist in the mold of slaveowner wives, who would abuse the black female slaves her husband forced himself on (see 12 years a slave for a horrible example of this). What sense does it make to hold these victimized women responsible for something they had no choice in? Crazy, crazy system, slavery and Gilead. If Offred could have got her hands around Serena Joy's neck, she would have killed her after threatening her child like she did. 

Serena Joy knows Gilead is fucked up and probably regrets that she actively worked to bring it about.

The handmaid revolt was awesome. Janine is crazy, anybody could see that, and stoning, I mean really? What a backwards ass society.

Moira getting to Canada, and meeting Offreds husband was a touching scene. I hope the former Offred gets to join them, as Nick arranged for her to escape.

Looking forward to the next season.

I could see Lori Anderson being Serena Joy.

I am also plugging in [insert fundie here] while watching.  It's terrifying.  Many people don't pay attention to fundies like we do.  It's plausible and has literally happened many times inbsome fashion.  As an American,  it's slavery for me. That is what I'm thinking about.

As a default setting,  I want us women to look out for one another. But, that sentiment is not shared.  We see it with Lori ( Aunt for sure).  There would be so many fundie women on board,  pretending like the commander's wives. Enjoying their status. On season 2, the econowives. Very young, brainwashed.  Put all the Duggar and Bates female children there. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/6/2018 at 10:14 AM, SilverBeach said:

Eden wants to decorate with yellow? I bet cheerful colors are outlawed, everything is so damn drab. I bet modern architecture and design was outlawed too. That's one thing I liked about the 1990 movie, the Waterford house looked cleaner and colors were brighter all over. On Hulu, gray, green, blue all look the same because they are so washed out.

Back in Ep. 6, I cried like a baby during the opening handmaid funeral scene, mostly because of the lyrics that I had on closed caption. Having suffered the recent loss of my mother, the words spoke directly to my heart, not to mention the ritual funeral ceremony. 

Gilead was doomed from the start, with those dumbass men in charge. Not testing men for fertility, then discarding fertile women because they don't concieve, not to mention only fucking once a month, it is all insanity. They aren't concerned about the population shortage at all. Then, when a top neonatologist is available, Fred won't let her examine baby Angela because she's a fucking Martha now. Serena made it happen though. Damn, she is human after all. 

That Putnam woman, somebody should call the Gilead equivalent of child protective services on her. 

I had trouble with the raping of handmaids once a month.  On one hand, once a month is horrible but better than more.  However,  when a couple wishes to conceive, you fuck like bunnies during fertility time.  It makes no sense,  baby making wise. 

I think I'm about to stop reading here until I watch more.  Binging this is really bad for my mental heath and sex life.  I am triggered!  Holy shit. I want to burn it all down.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beermeet said:

Guys, I'm just now binge watching this Tale.  Holy shit. It's not a good binge watch.  It's making me insane with anger.  I swear, this show should be required watching in 12th grade. After reading the book.  Go forth unto the world after watching this series kids. For real.  It can and has ( similar enough) come true irl.  

It's visceral.  I keep thinking of African slaves. It's odd that race doesn't mean anything in this series' world. I'm so used to race and skin color affecting actions that it's strange to not have it play a factor.  

I haven't read the book, I saw the movie made in the 90's (?).  I'm on season 2 ep 8.  Offred is now in labor. 

Stoked to read your thoughts here even though I'm very late in watching.  I can picture our fucking president ( not mine though or yours), Pence, and Sean Hannity as commanders. Just to name 3.  Help!  Fucking hell, this is brutal. 

It’s an amazing series. It’s one of the few that I’m glad I’ve been watching it as it goes, with breaks between episodes - so emotionally exhausting and terrifying!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

It’s an amazing series. It’s one of the few that I’m glad I’ve been watching it as it goes, with breaks between episodes - so emotionally exhausting and terrifying!

Sweet relief! Thanks for commenting,  I need it girl!  It's a great show all around. The cinematography alone is fantastic.  The acting!  It's harsh. Unrelenting.  I told my boss I was watching,  she did in real time.  It's so fresh in her mind still.  

SJ in Canada, the whole visit is insane. I wish SJ had the strength and conviction to stand up while in Canada.  But, like many fundie women, she doubles down like a coward.  

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, adidas said:

@Beermeet you are stronger than me! No way could I hinge watch, I needed a week long break between episodes!

I'm dying inside a little bit. ☹

The things that I like about The Testaments explain how Gilead got the way that it did.

I'm all for examining the roots of dystopian societies. We need to look at those things to glean/discern meaning about our own.

I read the book and wondered how much was chickens vs. Egg. How much did Atwood know in her heart before her show stared?

But it's ok. Sometimes it takes some collaborative effort to believe in ourselves and our visons.

I'm interested.

• Upvote 1

Allright. I've tolerated June's stupid decisions up until now. Why TF did she stay in Gilead???!!!!  Hannah? Bullshit. June is better off alive in Canada then getting killed in Gilead.  Unbelievable.  

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1