IGNORED

The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu

MargaretElliott

9 hours ago, Pretzel said:

All I can think of when I see EM is Sierra Jo Dominguez. I can't be the only one seeing the resemblance, can I? 

I can confirm you are 100% not alone.  

• Thank You 1

I guess we'll see next week if Joseph will go through with the plan now that Eleanor is dead. I'm inclined to think he probably will because he brings up being able to keep the border open because no one wanted to argue with him after she died, but he already tried to make a run for it with her sans June and the bazillion kids they're talking about getting out. So, um, he's not the most trustworthy dude?

Either way, I can see how Eleanor's death may have served a utilitarian purpose. Dark.

Also, Tuello is totally a honey trap because surely, there is no way he is actually into Serena for real, right?

Edited by Dreadcrumbs
gah missing word
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dreadcrumbs said:

I guess we'll see next week if Joseph will go through with the plan now that Eleanor is dead. I'm inclined to think he probably will because he brings up being able to keep the border open because no one wanted to argue with him after she died, but he already tried to make a run for it with her sans June and the bazillion kids they're talking about getting out. So, um, he's not the most trustworthy dude?

I have no idea if he'll go through with it because it would be his late wife's desire, or if he'll go very dark and not be helpful. This show seems to throw twists for shock value and I often learn from the special features that the writers/producers/directors that what I thought I saw wasn't their intention. 

2 hours ago, Dreadcrumbs said:

Also, Tuello is totally a honey trap because surely, there is no way he is actually into Serena for real, right?

There's no way he's not gathering Intel on her by being kind. At least that's how I read a CIA agent in his position, I could be wrong, see above. 

On spoiler tagging things - I can try to spoiler stuff that might be offensive or triggering, but in the case of the amputation fetish, that didn't even strike me as odd. But I did grow up with the early internet, and looked at some very strange things. 

Spoiler

There used to be a site that had everything from pictures of people hit by trains, extreme body modifications, and directions on how to remove your own unwanted limbs or genitals (and recipes! ) yup, how to eat your own flesh. 

I must have looked at that site at like 15 or so, while trying to figure out how to do my own piercings. Not much has shocked me since. Suspension? Surface piercings? Meh, whatever. 

• I Agree 1

At this stage, the plot is so far fetched that I’m actively mocking it out loud while I’m watching.

Lock up Fred as a war criminal, then let Serena pop in and explain to his face how she betrayed him, but then ask him to speak up and help people to understand Gilead, and after all that, let Luke wander in for a chat? The husband of the Handmaid who was enslaved and repeatedly raped by Fred? Yeah that would happen.

And meanwhile nutty Serena gets a play date / access visit as a reward like she has some sort of legal and/or moral entitlement to Holly/Nichole? Uh huh. Totally reasonable. Yay for Canada who can order people to hand a baby over to a woman who held the baby’s mother down to be raped in order to steal said baby? And as long as she doesn’t confuse the baby by referring to herself as Mama, we’re all good?

Moira is acting like the only person with a functioning brain cell at this point.

I’m fine with a honey trap with Tuello. Consenting adults etc. But using the baby as a pawn and then actually handing her over? Surely Serena’s job is done as soon as Fred is in custody. Who cares if Canada didn’t uphold their end of the deal? Yeah, step too far thank you script writers. Surely even Serena isn’t deluded enough to believe that they will allow her to be Holly/Nichole’s actual mother.

Then again, none of this makes sense and there are still eleventy seasons to fill.

And whatever that new version of baked goods in a basket was, it somehow managed to convey that what’s his name from Jezebels has agreed to help smuggle out 52 kids in a plane. The Martha-Baked-Goods-Code-Book must be several volumes thick if there’s a baked item for every possible message. 

Sorry, I’m tired and cranky and this show makes less sense every week. I should be grateful that there’s actually something happening now and we didn’t just get 35 minutes of June staring into the camera and complaining about her knees again.

I was trying to figure out why I’m sill watching. I think it’s like that line from Macbeth:

“I am in blood/Stepp'd in so far that, should I wade no more,/Returning were as tedious as go o'er.”

I’ve put in enough hours watching the damn thing so I may as well see it through.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

June letting Eleanor die seemed really stupid. Yes, she’s unbalanced and it would be challenging to keep her quiet for a couple more days, and during the trip- but that seems much less risky than having her die right before the escape. Lawerence could have easily  been to grief stricken to cooperate, or just changed his mind, they could have removed June to another house  immediately , etc etc ....just a stupid risky move.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

10 hours ago, Blahblah said:

And whatever that new version of baked goods in a basket was, it somehow managed to convey that what’s his name from Jezebels has agreed to help smuggle out 52 kids in a plane. The Martha-Baked-Goods-Code-Book must be several volumes thick if there’s a baked item for every possible message.

? Ideas, ideas...

Maybe, check back later: a loaf of bread?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

in the case of the amputation fetish, that didn't even strike me as odd.

To each their own. It made my skin crawl and I found it very odd and out of place.  I fully acknowledge that I am squeamish and would not ever look at the sites you had under your spoiler.

Edited by SilverBeach

53 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

To each their own. It made my skin crawl and I found it very odd and out of place.  I fully acknowledge that I am squeamish and would not ever look at the sites you had under your spoiler.

Oh, absolutely. I just hope that I can remember in the future to be more thoughtful about spoiler tags, especially in TV threads. I tend to only use them for literal spoilers, so I wouldn't have even considered that someone might be not want to read about a fetish; only that "well, it aired a  season or two ago, so whatever" 

Basically, thanks for bringing it up, it's a good reminder to think about others. 

• Upvote 2

Honestly, I get bored with shows that are based on great books and loose their oomph once the story arc goes beyond the book. 

Seems like I'm not missing out on anything. ?‍♀️

Edited by Pretzel
  • I Agree 1

One possible excuse for EM’s lack of affect in her portrayal of June: In the book, Offred comes across as dull, passive, and traumatized. She slogs through the story never fighting back, rarely taking initiative. She arrives at the Waterfords’ house after having “failed” at her first posting, after a considerable time has passed since her capture and separation from her husband (who is presumed dead) and her child. She’s a rape and kidnapping victim who has nothing to do all day except go shopping, get raped, and watch and participate in executions. Of course she’s going to seem dead inside.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

Doesn’t make for exciting viewing though. I usually record & watch later so that I can skip through the boring bits.

18 hours ago, Hane said:

One possible excuse for EM’s lack of affect in her portrayal of June: In the book, Offred comes across as dull, passive, and traumatized. She slogs through the story never fighting back, rarely taking initiative. She arrives at the Waterfords’ house after having “failed” at her first posting, after a considerable time has passed since her capture and separation from her husband (who is presumed dead) and her child. She’s a rape and kidnapping victim who has nothing to do all day except go shopping, get raped, and watch and participate in executions. Of course she’s going to seem dead inside.

I appreciate your insight. I haven't gotten around to reading the book and it's admittedly not high on my priorities list.

FWIW, I think some of the frustration with her lack of affect has a lot to do with other things she's been up to (at least it is for me). June is becoming tiresome and for the show's own good, she needs to be allowed to recede into the background next season.

Ok so I liked the finale. It was batshit crazy and nonsensical.

Sucked me back in and all that. Nothing reads to a crowd better than herding a huge mass of children out of an oppressive regime.

Love hugs and Moira!

And maybe we will get June in a coma for a minute.

EM was a lot better when the show picked up at the end. The show was truly awful in the middle of the season.

Very curious to see what happens with the return of Nick. Did he have any feelings for June?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

FAIR WARNING! THIS POST IS FULL OF SPOILERS!

Spoiler

OK, the scene in Canada at the end made me cry.  I'm so effing glad Rita got out. Her and Emily? Ugly crying at that point. I really felt badly for Luke, seeing that other dad reunited with his daughter. It's sad that June got out all those children but could not get Hannah out. Serena getting arrested made me laugh, right after getting teased with having more freedom. There is no honor among theives. Serena nd Fred deserve each other.

But, why would you wear a red cloak when escaping at night? And white headgear? That's just making yourself a target.

Season 4 is up in the air, no pun intended. It's a miracle June didn't bleed out (more plot armor). Who's going to treat her, she just can't go up in the local hospital, can she? Why didn't anybody come for the body of that guardian? I wonder how those handmaids got away to come rescue June. What will happen to Commander Lawrence? If he doesn't end up on the wall with June, that is.

ETA: I hope Janine was on the plane, she was in the group walking through the forest.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

I've thought the last few episodes, especially the finale, were way better than the beginning of the season. I felt like they were back to why I like the series.

Luke looking for Hannah had me bawling. I need her to get out so bad. 

Serena getting getting put in her place was amazing. I hope she never gets to see Holly again.

My best guess for where they're taking June is some sort of mayday hideout where a martha who used to be a doctor will help her.

I have no idea what'll happen to everyone else. I hope they had the foresight to take down the markers. A path leading back to the Lawrence house will be pretty hard to explain.

10 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Very curious to see what happens with the return of Nick. Did he have any feelings for June?

The Nick story is really the only big loose end for me. Just how complicit in Gilead is he? Did he really just abandon June and their daughter? I'm having a hard time reconciling that.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

Now that we have spent all the love story existing between the Whitfords, it's easy to see how complicated shit can be for a man in Gilead. Which is a.great point. And remember how awful he felt about his teen bride. That was pain. (Ew, makes Serena worse. Ew.)

Agreed. Nick will be interesting. I xould use more Rita story. Someone does need to bond with Holly. Maybe it isn't his job?

June saved all those useful Marthas. They will save her. There will totally be an off-grid Martha bunker supplying all baked goods and craft soap, plus ad-hoc.surgery.

ETA: A major character needs to die in a plausible way fairly soon. I think Whitford in opener and we get juicy flashbacks.

Edited by AliceInFundyland
  • Upvote 1

So much crying on my end.

A few plot holes (or bad editing?) the one that stuck out for me was the ripping of the sheets before they decided to walk? Where they going to be used as bandages or ????

I so cheered when Serena was arrested! I actually didn't realise that this was the final episode of the season. I like the show, I know sometimes it was a little meah, but on the whole I have enjoyed it. I have actually pre-ordered the sequel on my Kobo. I will be interested to see how much the book differs from the show. Is the show just fan fiction or did MA have input. Time will tell.

Oh and I hate Nicole spelt as Nichole. ugg, shudder. Sorry to all the Nicholes out there!

• Upvote 3

Where to start. Plot holes indeed.

My pet hate - yet again: running about in the dark trying to be inconspicuous and still wearing the stupid white bonnets. Camouflage ladies, camouflage.

There’d better be an underground people smuggling network for all 52+ Martha’s who stole the 52+ children and will end up on the wall otherwise. That first Martha who ran away has surely been interrogated and strung up by now after revealing everything and everyone. 

Were the Marthas who walked with the children supposed to get on the plane, but then inexplicably decided to run off with the random assortment of Handmaids (who had come along for who knows what reason) to help June throw rocks at that guard instead? As for that, why didn’t June just pull her gun on him in the first place, maybe while he was lighting his cigarette and his own gun wasn’t in his hands? Same outcome without all the rock throwing and dramatic running through the woods, and getting shot.

Back to the random assortment of Handmaids who apparently camped out somewhere until daylight, then managed to find June and the dead guard before anyone else. Uh huh. 

Was the airport so poorly guarded that nobody heard the gunshots, or wonder why he didn’t check in again, or wonder why he didn’t come back to the office at the end of the shift? And that wasn’t an issue even though a whole swarm of children were missing? The airport would be an obvious place to start even if the runaway Martha hadn’t already explained the whole plot.

Why were the Handmaids even there? Cynical me says it was for the cinematic value of the lovely overhead shot at the end of them majestically bearing  June away to, um, yeah exactly where were they planning to take her? Even if the Marthas have a lovely hospital in a bunker, they weren’t anywhere to be seen in order to guide them to it..

And as for Rita, was she just rattling around at the Waterford’s empty house waiting to escape on the plane? What happens to spare Marthas anyway?

And finally, June’s plot armour needs to be titanium and a mile thick after this. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

the Whitfords,

Do you mean Waterfords?

4 hours ago, motelmum said:

Where they going to be used as bandages or ????

They were used to wrap individual packages of food.

Oh and I hate Nicole spelt as Nichole.

Agreed. That baby will always be Holly to me, however you spell her Gilead name.

Is the show just fan fiction or did MA have input.

Season 1 ended where the book did. Everything else is pretty much fan fiction.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

There will totally be an off-grid Martha bunker supplying all baked goods and craft soap, plus ad-hoc.surgery.

I'm looking forward to seeing it, even if it's absurd just like June somehow surviving will be. ?

ETA: I have a lot of feelings, but I do agree this is the strongest episode in the season. Fred turning Serena in? Hah! Luke looking to see if Hannah would step off the plane? Heartbroken. Handmaids not taking off their bonnets? Dumb.

Edited by Dreadcrumbs
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

21 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

ETA: I hope Janine was on the plane, she was in the group walking through the forest.

Wasn't she leaning over June at the end though?  Unless June was hallucinating, Janine helped carry her away I think.

• Upvote 3