IGNORED

The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu

MargaretElliott

10 hours ago, lawlifelgbt said:

(Yes, I actually do have a “in case of WW3/dictatorship” plan

I do too actually. Mister and I had a talk on the topic. Though I would like to think I would stay and fight, his position is we get out and then figure out what to do from there. For some reason, he thinks my long-term involvement with FJ might be a problem for people like this. I can't imagine why. *eyeshift*

FTR, I'd find a way to move FJ offshore if it ever came to that. No, I haven't spent some time thinking about this. Not at all. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

I’ll try not to give anything away but will still add spoiler tags.

powerful stuff tonight - the first episode had me cringing, it was so physically powerful. The second episode had me holding my breath, it was so emotionally powerful.

Edited by adidas
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I just wrote a long-ass thoughtful post about the first two episodes. It got eaten by my laptop. I am so pissed, going to step away for a minute. The episodes were powerful and gut-wrenching, as I expected. I'll try to reconstruct my observations later. AARGH!

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, adidas said:

I’ll try not to give anything away but will still add spoiler tags.

Reveal hidden contents

powerful stuff tonight - the first episode had me cringing, it was so physically powerful. The second episode had me holding my breath, it was so emotionally powerful.

Same here. I was emotionally wrung out. I would suggest watching when you have time to process. I'm glad I waited and had some wine. 

• Upvote 2

I watched them last night, and I'm with June.  'Our father, who art in heaven...seriously? What the actual fuck?'  It was amazing, heartbreaking, and I don't have enough middle fingers to express my feelings about the Commander, Serena Joy, Aunt Lydia. the airport people, and the entire Republic of Gilead.   

• Upvote 5

I'm glad the whole season isn't available to binge in one go, because those two episodes left me feeling...bad about life. Which they SHOULD, seeing how they were about awful content matter. I love this show, but it takes a toll.

I'm not brave. I'm a terrible coward, and I own that. I found a partner who is stronger than me in every way to balance out my cowardly attributes. I'm practical and pragmatic and get shit done on a daily basis. But if something like this happened, or a war or something...well, I hope for everyone's sake I get killed off immediately, because I'll be the most useless person around. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

It starts tonight here, first two episodes. I'm so looking forward to seeing it again. 

Funny enough, last week my aunt made a really disparaging remark about the show. I can't remember exactly what she said but it was something like it's very weird/strange, makes no sense, ridiculous story and continued on from there. I was like what show are you talking about again, and after that I turned round gave my mom a side eye look. My mum was about to launch into a reply, but I just shook my head and rolled my eyes about it all,. i knew there was no point, just wasting your breath on it. It didn't surprise me at all knowing my aunt that she wouldn't 'get it' or understand it, and she is exactly the type of person who needs to watch it and understand it.She never even heard of the book.  It's funny though, I didn't think my Mum would really get it either but now she is a huge big fan. But she has been having a change of mind/heart lately and the show come on at the right time too.

• Upvote 4

On 4/26/2018 at 10:37 AM, delphinium65 said:

'Our father, who art in heaven...seriously? What the actual fuck?'  

The use of this phrase actually took me right out of the show for a bit because, while people (including me) say that now, they certainly didn't when Atwood was writing the novel.  I'm not usually a book/show purist especially over such a small detail but I did find that inclusion jarring.  I feel like it dated the moment too much, or something? 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

The use of this phrase actually took me right out of the show for a bit because, while people (including me) say that now, they certainly didn't when Atwood was writing the novel.  I'm not usually a book/show purist especially over such a small detail but I did find that inclusion jarring.  I feel like it dated the moment too much, or something? 

I get what you're saying, it does seem that the time frame is shifted a bit from the original  Do you, or anyone else, know if Margaret Atwood is as involved in this season as she was the first?  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

Atwood's novel ended where season one left out, with June being hustled into the black van. Season two is all new material, but it is my understanding that events are supposed to be in or near our current time.

• Upvote 2

Unlurking to comment with a random thought, pre-Gilead do you think Serena-Joy was a Beall type—went to a secular college and met her fundie husband there? Or a fundie royalty type homeschool princess who went to Patrick Henry or New Saint Andrew’s? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Marserin said:

Unlurking to comment with a random thought, pre-Gilead do you think Serena-Joy was a Beall type—went to a secular college and met her fundie husband there? Or a fundie royalty type homeschool princess who went to Patrick Henry or New Saint Andrew’s? 

Totally Beall. You can see in the episode about how we got here that she genuinely thought she was going to be special in Gilead. I almost felt sorry for her in that episode. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

13 hours ago, Destiny said:

Totally Beall. You can see in the episode about how we got here that she genuinely thought she was going to be special in Gilead. I almost felt sorry for her in that episode. 

I kind of thought that as well. But then i was thinking of the Uber-high achieving girls that go to PHC that Hannah Rosin talks about in God's Harvard, and thought those would map well on to Serena Joy. (https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2005/06/27/god-and-country) Elisa could be a Serena-Joy. 

Where do you think the Aunt's come from? Is Aunt Lydia a frustrated SAHD or a widowed Lady Lydia?

• Upvote 2

I am like 90% that in the book, they were post-menapausal women or spinsters, so could be either. 

I finally got to watching the first episode. Holy fuck, Lady Lydia is a fucking monster.

10 hours ago, Marserin said:

I kind of thought that as well. But then i was thinking of the Uber-high achieving girls that go to PHC that Hannah Rosin talks about in God's Harvard, and thought those would map well on to Serena Joy. (https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2005/06/27/god-and-country) Elisa could be a Serena-Joy. 

Theoretically, she could be one of those too. She just smacked of "worldly" to me, what with being a preacher and teacher and all, and I get the impression that she really doesn't believe as much as she plays. I just get a secular vibe. I could well be wrong. I don't think the text says much either way, and I haven't watched enough of this season to know if they explain there.

• Upvote 1

Ok. So, I'm caught up. Has anyone noticed that the wives are the only women that aren't wearing head coverings? I'm curious why that is. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Destiny said:

I finally got to watching the first episode. Holy fuck, Lady Lydia is a fucking monster.

I could totally see some of our favorite fundies mapping on to the Republic of Gilead.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, adidas said:

Even my husband was rattled by the ending of episode 3 :(

I don't know that I can watch next week, one of you may have to tell me what happens. June was stupid. She knew there was a breach somewhere, which is why the guy wanted to abort the rescue at the sign garage. She put his family in peril. June should have waited until another plan was in place. This is like the underground railroad, where you had to trust in strangers, you had no choice.

Serena Joy is a Phyllis Schlafly type.

Some of the aunts don't look as old as Lydia, they may not all be postmenopausal. They are all sadistic.

Don't understand about the headcoverings. Wives still all wear their hair up or back in some way, no loose hair. Men fetishize hair, so who knows? 

Between the dreadful depiction of the colonies, and the June cliffhanger, I don't know if I can keep watching. I probably will, but I'll have a drink first.

• Upvote 3

On 5/1/2018 at 10:22 PM, Marserin said:

I see Lori Alexander as a Serena Joy kind of person.

And in case anyone hasn't seen 'Baggage' yet...

Spoiler

Blessed be the Froot Loops. 

• Upvote 4

Lori is more an Aunt Lydia type: preachy, self-righteous, and sadistic. Lori is not as smart as Serena Joy. I think the fruit loops comment was the first time that refugee spoke. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

20 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Lori is more an Aunt Lydia type: preachy, self-righteous, and sadistic. Lori is not as smart as Serena Joy. I think the fruit loops comment was the first time that refugee spoke. 

She's not too far off there either, but the scene where June was back, and Serena Joy was telling her how things were going to be, her tone of voice was what I imagine Lori's would be. 

And I loved that comment! 

• Upvote 2

On 4/26/2018 at 3:13 PM, littlemommy said:

I'm glad the whole season isn't available to binge in one go, because those two episodes left me feeling...bad about life. Which they SHOULD, seeing how they were about awful content matter. I love this show, but it takes a toll.

I'm not brave. I'm a terrible coward, and I own that. I found a partner who is stronger than me in every way to balance out my cowardly attributes. I'm practical and pragmatic and get shit done on a daily basis. But if something like this happened, or a war or something...well, I hope for everyone's sake I get killed off immediately, because I'll be the most useless person around. 

I agreed with the binge watching bit. Your perceived cowardice is none of my biz, but you may find yourself stronger than you know.

On 4/30/2018 at 6:10 PM, LilMissMetaphor said:

I agree, I noticed other similar, is there an antonym for anachronism, things in that vein that annoyed me. Whatever you call it, it needs to stop.  These are my deepest fears being realized here and now, and I need this show to stay true and genuine to help me cope.

• Upvote 2

I don't think the Hulu show is meant to be set in the 80's like when Atwood wrote the book, I think the producers want it to feel/look contemporary. The clothing and vehicles don't look 80's either.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, SilverBeach said:

I don't think the Hulu show is meant to be set in the 80's like when Atwood wrote the book, I think the producers want it to feel/look contemporary. The clothing and vehicles don't look 80's either.

It's not. Moira and June were carrying iPhones, current ones, last season. 

• I Agree 1

The contemporary setting doesn't bother me. iPhones have been with us and will probably be here for the long haul, but that phrase almost has a kitschy, in this late 20-teens moment, feel to it. I don't feel like I'm a purist about things,  or I wouldn't be watching this season at all.

Edited by justmissedquiver
  • Upvote 1