IGNORED

Girl Defined

onlysaneperson

7 hours ago, CatholicLite said:

Here's the video: (it's not bad, i actually agreed with them) 

I can't watch the video right now, but they're off to a good start with the title: Why Sexual Abuse is Never Okay. As long as they don't then start victim blaming like the Botkins sisters did. (One sentence after saying that they didn't plan to blame victims. :roll: )

• Upvote 1

On 1/17/2017 at 6:42 AM, purjolok84 said:

Also something I was thinking about: I have previously suffered from intrusive thoughts. Happy one minute, then suddenly thinking 'I wonder what would happen if I pushed this person over right now?' They ranged from playful to really depressing at times. What if, for fundies, thinking about sex or partners, which is normal for us, is an intrusive thought for them? Is it only intrusive because they truly believe it is, or because their family and/or congregation has been heavy-handed with them? And what do they do to stop the thought?

I want to hug you! I haven't read past your comment yet, but had to reply. I grew up super Conservative with a Narcissistic father and I readily believed all this crap. I have been struggling with intrusive thoughts for years and thought I must be some horrible sinner and I would be damned by God. I couldn't stop or control the thoughts and they'd get worse and worse. I would sob myself to sleep thinking I might accidentally blaspheme God, etc. I finally figured out that I had anxiety after years of panic attacks. I got diagnosed shortly before I had a complete breakdown at work and was sent to the hospital. I'm finally getting help and therapy! I will say most of my Christian friends are actually very supportive (I was shocked, because the group I'd grown up with thought mental illness meant you weren't a good enough person and it was all your fault for not believing enough). I did run into one person from my past who said that medications for depression are worse than crack and heroin. So, yes,  in my case intrusive thoughts became seriously traumatic whilst being in the super Conservative circle.

• Love 10

I fell down the Girl Defined rabbit hole recently.  These two are interesting/scary.  Fundies have so many varying degrees.  We have some who wear pants (these ladies), we have some who are skirts only (some Bates/Duggars).  We have some who embrace make-up (Bates/Duggars) and some who consider it against their religion (some Pentecostal women) entirely.  there are some who do SODRT and some who send their children to Christian and even public schools.

So, I would love to say to all of these fundies, who is right?  Who is the most godly?  I'd love to be a fly on the wall during a "varied fundie" group conversation.  Would they judge one another in public or preach why their reasoning is correct?  Fascinating.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

37 minutes ago, NoKidsAndCounting said:

So, I would love to say to all of these fundies, who is right?  Who is the most godly?  I'd love to be a fly on the wall during a "varied fundie" group conversation.  Would they judge one another in public or preach why their reasoning is correct?  Fascinating.

I mean, Tittygate over in the Anderson forum was essentially just this: insanely heated quibbles over minor doctrinal questions that devolved into an all-out slug fest complete with shunning, youtube videos, and calling people Jezebels.  

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I mean, Tittygate over in the Anderson forum was essentially just this: insanely heated quibbles over minor doctrinal questions that devolved into an all-out slug fest complete with shunning, youtube videos, and calling people Jezebels.  

This is why so many fundies are into debate (in my opinion). They all want to debate all day long that they are right about religion and everyone else is wrong. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

This is why so many fundies are into debate (in my opinion). They all want to debate all day long that they are right about religion and everyone else is wrong. 

The fewer people you allow into your group of Jesus' Favorite Christians, the more special you, as a member, are.  Christianity may be a language of inclusion, but fundies' desire to be the MOST SPECIAL motivates them to have these petty debates in order to "weed out" those lesser doctrinal folk and raise themselves up further in their own estimation.  You're right: debate skills are necessary in fundiedom because eventually, they will need to "set themselves apart".

Fundies are caught in an eternal tight-rope walk.  On the one hand, many of them live lifestyles that are dependent on being supported by their communities, and for that to work (and work well), they need robust communities to depend on.  On the other hand, the more people they welcome...the less special they are, and many of them use religion and their belonging to a strict religious group as a way to feel special and above the general fray.  

• Upvote 6

On 2/2/2019 at 1:12 AM, Tryamon said:

I wonder if it is a youth thing. A person grows up in a culture like Mormonism or in ATI, and they only see people that have bought into it. They don’t see the gay disowned aunt or whatever. So they see that THIS IS HOW IT MUST BE and deny that they are gay. 

Then after a decade or two of being an adult, being a bit more exposed to things (especially the men who are typically less sheltered in adulthood), they see that there are happy gay people out in the world. They did the right things according to their god, and they are miserable. So they either double down or give up.

I think it may be easier to convince yourself that you are attracted to the opposite sex when you’re young because your overall sex drive is stronger? I’ve had friends who lived by the saying ”If there are no dykes at the party, go for the cutest guy.” Now we’re all middle aged and more picky. I’m bi so maybe I don’t really understand this since sex/gender is not that big a deal for me.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

I think the newness of the marriage and sex will eventually wear off and they will become miserable in a few years. I give their marriage 4 years at the most. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

I see absolutely ZIP chemistry between Bethany and Dave. I think she’s just excited about achieving a wedding and marriage, important accomplishments in her circle. And he seems to be getting married because it would look funny if he didn’t. 

And am I the only one who thinks Bethany’s foundation looks like a coat of spackle?

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, seraaa said:

These two have a new youtube channel together

They.are.annoying.

Also:  concentrate on your damn driving!!!!!!

!!!!!!

Sheesh.

• Upvote 5

On 1/28/2019 at 10:57 PM, yeetedonem said:

Just to add - they are very much into the purity movement and most of their content is geared towards making sure girls and young women don't even so much as have a sexual thought until marriage. They also have some firey anti-LGBT posts. 

If you're looking for some hilarious commentary on them, check out the YouTube videos made by CodyKo and Noel Miller reacting to their channel. 

Why is the grown woman on the left wearing the "princess dress-up" outfit that my 4 yr old niece likes to wear. 

ETA in the "Why Sexual Abuse is Never Ok" video, she is also dressed like a little girl.  Does she dress like this all the time?  I'm not super familiar with their channel.

Edited by The Mother Dust

7 hours ago, seraaa said:

These two have a new youtube channel together

I only watched the beginning, does she chew gum throughout the entire video?  :martian-disgust:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Mother Dust said:

Why is the grown woman on the left wearing the "princess dress-up" outfit that my 4 yr old niece likes to wear. 

ETA in the "Why Sexual Abuse is Never Ok" video, she is also dressed like a little girl.  Does she dress like this all the time?  I'm not super familiar with their channel.

Bethany looooves those overalls. Yes. She dresses like that all the time. It is, in my opinion, a bit too young for her- b/c some teenagers wear overalls now I think, and she is thirty. But I don't ever like to crap on someone's personal style, so Bethy can wear what she wants to.

Also: just watched the video- it's real low quality and kinda....... weird.

Edited by CatholicLite
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

10 hours ago, CatholicLite said:

I think it's intentionally casual and low key - the production value of the girl defined stuff is higher, but this channel isn't their job

• Thank You 1

11 hours ago, CatholicLite said:

Bethany looooves those overalls. Yes. She dresses like that all the time. It is, in my opinion, a bit too young for her- b/c some teenagers wear overalls now I think, and she is thirty. But I don't ever like to crap on someone's personal style, so Bethy can wear what she wants to.

Her clothing choices certainly aren't the biggest issue I have with them.

• Upvote 4

What does everyone make of the strange 2 minute video posted by Girl Defined about changing their channel? If I didn't know any better, I'd think they're trying to stop posting Christian videos?!

They received a lot of praise for their video on Sexual Abuse in that it wasn't patriarchial or fundie.

What does everyone think?

Are they ditching their true fundie ways for a wider audience and $$$?

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 2

On 2/14/2019 at 4:14 AM, Firebird said:

I want to hug you! I haven't read past your comment yet, but had to reply. I grew up super Conservative with a Narcissistic father and I readily believed all this crap. I have been struggling with intrusive thoughts for years and thought I must be some horrible sinner and I would be damned by God. I couldn't stop or control the thoughts and they'd get worse and worse. I would sob myself to sleep thinking I might accidentally blaspheme God, etc. I finally figured out that I had anxiety after years of panic attacks. I got diagnosed shortly before I had a complete breakdown at work and was sent to the hospital. I'm finally getting help and therapy! I will say most of my Christian friends are actually very supportive (I was shocked, because the group I'd grown up with thought mental illness meant you weren't a good enough person and it was all your fault for not believing enough). I did run into one person from my past who said that medications for depression are worse than crack and heroin. So, yes,  in my case intrusive thoughts became seriously traumatic whilst being in the super Conservative circle.

I saw your post and it's kind of comforting to know I wasn't the only one with intrusive religious thoughts. I had severe obsessive-compulsive disorder as a child and was unable to control intrusive thoughts such as cursing God, blaspheming the Holy Spirit, selling my soul to Satan, etc. It was terrifying, devastating, and went on for years and years. I still have OCD but thankfully it's more under control now and less focused on religion. Being afraid you're going to hell because you literally can't stop thinking "Damn God," over and over is a nightmare that not everyone understands. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 6

It just hit me! I believe Kristen and Bethy's goal is to insidiously and subtly attract a secular audience with the goal of converting them. Also, they must know that by doing this, they think they will make more $$$ by attracting a wider audience.

They know about CodyKo mocking their videos twice and receiving MILLIONS of views on them. Additionally, they know that Mr. Atheist continues to regularly critique their videos and receives 200k-350k+ views for doing so.

They felt persecuted by all of the YouTubers mocking them and I remember (Kristen?) wrote an instagram post about feeling persecuted by YouTubers. She was referring to CodyKo because she explained the video received millions of views. 

Now, they have finally received the praise they've craved, from secular, critical viewers, for their sexual abuse video. 

I believe that the praise they received from secular critics from that video has motivated them to target the channel towards converting secular heathen viewers in a way that, they believe, will garner praise rather than persecution.

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

On July 14, 2017 at 2:24 AM, L1o2u3 said:

I also don't think of my friends as potential Jesus projects, but I view them as - friends :D 

Their Radical Purity-putting-chastitiy-belts-on-young-girls'-minds-conference is this weekend... Training them to be mind-virgins. No joke! 

https://www.girldefined.com/mind-virgin-saving-body 

Because appearantly your mind can be deflowered as well :o and penetrated by lustful thoughts and then leaving the seed of Satan in there. :confused2: And because they say that the heart is filled with impure thoughts and lust, you probably also have to be a heart-virgin. 

Disturbing. 

Thanks for introducing me to this rabbit hole. I'd never heard of "mind virginity" before. Just another thing for me to confess, I guess.

The comments are as good as the bling entry itself. In one, a girl who has lost her virginity is encouraged to pray to God to physically restore her hymen.?

"Have you tried to pray for your virginity to grow back? Do you know that we can heal the physical body with the word of God? It is possible, I have seen it done, and I have done it myself, just say “in the name of Jesus Christ, body be healed” that is what I do when I want to heal people. The first person I healed took me 45 minutes of praying to get rid of his flu, the second person that had a back and stomach pain took me one and half hours to help her. You can see videos other people have done of divine healing on youtube. Some names you can look up are Curry Blake, T.J. Joshua."

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 9

8 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

It just hit me! I believe Kristen and Bethy's goal is to insidiously and subtly attract a secular audience with the goal of converting them. Also, they must know that by doing this, they think they will make more $$$ by attracting a wider audience.

Probably. Especially since they said the purpose of their channel hasn't changed. 

26 minutes ago, SecularMusic said:

Thanks for introducing me to this rabbit hole. I'd never heard of "mind virginity" before. Just another thing for me to confess, I guess.

The comments are as good as the bling entry itself. In one, a girl who has lost her virginity is encouraged to pray to God to physically restore her hymen.?

"Have you tried to pray for your virginity to grow back? Do you know that we can heal the physical body with the word of God? It is possible, I have seen it done, and I have done it myself, just say “in the name of Jesus Christ, body be healed” that is what I do when I want to heal people. The first person I healed took me 45 minutes of praying to get rid of his flu, the second person that had a back and stomach pain took me one and half hours to help her. You can see videos other people have done of divine healing on youtube. Some names you can look up are Curry Blake, T.J. Joshua."

ISTR reading somewhere(Quiverfull maybe?)of a church which regularly led prayer services asking God to restore the wombs of women who had had hysterectomies. :huh:

• Sad 1
  • WTF 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic