IGNORED

Jamerrill Stewart - the encouraging homeschool mom/large family table

pancakes

I also watch her for quiet a while now and I still have not figuered out her level of cult involvement. If I remember correctly, she uses ACE and made positiv references to fundie royalty. She can't handle even constructive criticism and I did not believe her lame excuse on why they got rid of their last dog. She is also very much into the "have as many kids as you can, as long as you trust in god, he will provide"-thing. Her cooking ist very questionable. I can't name any specific video though as there are too many. And she looooves to emphasize that she has a large family....

3 hours ago, BrandoBarks said:

I also watch her for quiet a while now and I still have not figuered out her level of cult involvement. If I remember correctly, she uses ACE and made positiv references to fundie royalty. She can't handle even constructive criticism and I did not believe her lame excuse on why they got rid of their last dog. She is also very much into the "have as many kids as you can, as long as you trust in god, he will provide"-thing. Her cooking ist very questionable. I can't name any specific video though as there are too many. And she looooves to emphasize that she has a large family....

don't forget "busy homeschool day"

Her fifteen year old plays monitored Minecraft in a christian homeschool server. I just cannot. 

12 hours ago, HeadshipRegent said:

Her fifteen year old plays monitored Minecraft in a christian homeschool server. I just cannot. 

Why do they need to monitor Minecraft? Afraid someone might give the kids sex education with pixel dicks?

They just got a big new house and she posted a video about making money off her blog. I wonder if they paid for the house with her blogging income.

6 minutes ago, BabyBottlePop said:

Oh I'm very sucked in, but it's all too perfect.

She's strangely calming. I both really dont like it and can't stop watching! :P 

6 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

She's strangely calming. I both really dont like it and can't stop watching!  

Yes, @Carm_88, that's it-- calming. I'm home sick from work and I'm just laying on my couch listening to her.

On 2017-01-16 at 7:26 PM, Black Aliss said:

Making yogurt in a slow cooker--11 hours. (Sounds like a great way to make your family really sick)

The point of yogurt is to add good bacteria and for them to grow and not the harmful ones. Making yogurt this way is not going to make you sick, this is how you make yogurt everywhere (unless there is some insane factory version I am not aware, in that case yuk)

1 hour ago, elliha said:

The point of yogurt is to add good bacteria and for them to grow and not the harmful ones. Making yogurt this way is not going to make you sick, this is how you make yogurt everywhere (unless there is some insane factory version I am not aware, in that case yuk)

Nope. Yogurt is made by first killing any bacteria that is already in the milk, then cooling the milk to ~110 degrees F, adding the yogurt culture, and incubating at ~110 +/- 5 degrees until it thickens. That is the insane factory version. Yogurt cultures cannot kill any bacteria, such as Listeria, salmonella, staph aureus, that may already be present in the milk, and which will grow like crazy during that low slow heating process. But, you do you.

1 hour ago, Black Aliss said:

Nope. Yogurt is made by first killing any bacteria that is already in the milk, then cooling the milk to ~110 degrees F, adding the yogurt culture, and incubating at ~110 +/- 5 degrees until it thickens. That is the insane factory version. Yogurt cultures cannot kill any bacteria, such as Listeria, salmonella, staph aureus, that may already be present in the milk, and which will grow like crazy during that low slow heating process. But, you do you.

Yes, of course you cook the milk first, I haven't seen this particular recipe but in all slow cooker recipes I have seen you do this either in the slow cooker itself or on the stove and then use the pot from the slow cooker to keep the milk in because you get a good temperature that way. Keeping the right temperature in your home can be a bit tricky so the pot from the slow cooker is a way to achieve this. If you have heated the milk first you can't really do anything dangerous, it might not set properly sometimes but that is about it. 

My point with the "insane factory version" was just that, that this is the way it is made in a factory but on a much larger scale.

On 1/14/2017 at 5:53 AM, pancakes said:

How many kids do you have that you would use 30 loaves of bread? I'm genuinely curious. Maybe this lady isn't as out there as I'm imagining her to be. There's ten of us and we use 2-3 loaves of store bought bread plus usually one homemade bread/rolls item per week.

With five of us, back before we went gluten free for medical reasons (not everyone needed it but I wasn't going to cook two separate menus), we could go through a loaf of bread, or two, a day. A loaf only has about 12 slices. One loaf would yield one sandwich each, for one meal, plus one sandwich extra for someone extra hungry. So bread at breakfast and lunch would mean two loaves a day for five people, even if you don't have bread for snacks or dinner.

Used to be, the Food Pyramid showed a healthy breakfast as cereal (hot or cold) and a side of toast, so yeah, toast for breakfast was pretty common. I don't know what the Food Pyramid might look like now (I know it's changed a bit; I went "paleo" five years ago, with only occasional straying, and that way of eating is very different from the government recommendations), but that kind of carb load only works well for people with my dh's (and kids') metabolism. They burn it off quickly, so eating all those cheap carbs (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes) didn't seem to hurt them any, and it kept our food budget down.

On 1/18/2017 at 2:54 AM, kassie said:

I'm a big gadget person.

I just my pressure cooker once a week, probably. To make rice, pressure cook meat, slow cook stuff, etc. It's really easy once you get the hang of it is easy.

If you're thinking of buying a pressure cooker, look into the Instant Pot. I love mine! I'd been reading about it (and drooling) on paleo/primal blogs for a long time, before it came up half price on Amazon for Black Friday and I bought one.

The cool thing about the Instant Pot is that it's a pressure cooker *and* a rice cooker, slow cooker, yogurt maker (if you get the 7-in-1, not the 6-in-1), and I forget what all the other functions are. I can make a batch of bone broth (that gels! I could never get it to gel before, stovetop or slow cooker) in 2 hours, rather than 24 to 48. I can use it to first defrost a frozen block of meat and then go on to make it into a roast or stew.

Don't mean to sound like an advertisement, but it has taken the place of my slow cooker and my rice cooker/steamer. Nice to save space.

I have a friend who has one and is actually considering buying a second so that she can use both at the same time to do different things. I don't have enough room in my cabinet for two Instant Pots, and not enough counter space for one of them to live on the counter full-time.

On 1/30/2017 at 1:25 PM, BabyBottlePop said:

They just got a big new house and she posted a video about making money off her blog. I wonder if they paid for the house with her blogging income.

By the way that she was talking in one video, I would assume that she did use the blogging income to buy the house. Her husband is a student for the most part (I think) so I imagine it's on her for the most part. 

I've watched some of her videos and find them both hypnotic and mildly annoying.  I feel like she's talking for the sake of talking a lot of the time, possibly to distract from there being nothing particularly new in Aldi's, Walmart, or her meal plans.  And I do get a distinct fundie vibe.

I get that fundie vibe too.

In some videos she talks about their homeschool curriculum and materials and she mentioned some well known names, I'd have to check to find them though.

Also, I think she talks to her viewers as if they were little children: a slow voice, simple & explanatory language and a high, cheerful voice. Very annoying sometimes :-)

On 2/2/2017 at 0:30 PM, refugee said:

If you're thinking of buying a pressure cooker, look into the Instant Pot. I love mine! I'd been reading about it (and drooling) on paleo/primal blogs for a long time, before it came up half price on Amazon for Black Friday and I bought one.

The cool thing about the Instant Pot is that it's a pressure cooker *and* a rice cooker, slow cooker, yogurt maker (if you get the 7-in-1, not the 6-in-1), and I forget what all the other functions are. I can make a batch of bone broth (that gels! I could never get it to gel before, stovetop or slow cooker) in 2 hours, rather than 24 to 48. I can use it to first defrost a frozen block of meat and then go on to make it into a roast or stew.

Don't mean to sound like an advertisement, but it has taken the place of my slow cooker and my rice cooker/steamer. Nice to save space.

I have a friend who has one and is actually considering buying a second so that she can use both at the same time to do different things. I don't have enough room in my cabinet for two Instant Pots, and not enough counter space for one of them to live on the counter full-time.

Uggh! I bought the 7 in 1 on Black Friday. Then I saw all these disastrous videos of IP's blowing up on Facebook. I sent it back, totally freaked out. I am so highly suggestible about such things :(

9 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

Uggh! I bought the 7 in 1 on Black Friday. Then I saw all these disastrous videos of IP's blowing up on Facebook. I sent it back, totally freaked out. I am so highly suggestible about such things :(

Yikes! The only problem I've had with mine is one time it didn't seal properly and all my chicken soup boiled away in steam. Once I figured out what was wrong (my fault for not cleaning it properly) it worked fine again.

I wonder if the ones that blew up weren't cleaned right? No idea, as I hadn't heard about IP disasters though I *have* heard about pressure cooker nightmares over the years. It's easy to get lazy and not take the cover off the IP safety release valve to make sure it's not stuck in place--it's supposed to be loose so it can release excess pressure. Some foods (like beans) can boil up and clog the release, and in addition, the IP has a well-defined "maximum" line that you're not supposed to fill it past, to keep it from clogging the release.

21 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I've watched some of her videos and find them both hypnotic and mildly annoying.  I feel like she's talking for the sake of talking a lot of the time, possibly to distract from there being nothing particularly new in Aldi's, Walmart, or her meal plans.  And I do get a distinct fundie vibe.

Oh I don't doubt at all that she's fundie. What kind of fundie and to what extent, I don't know. Definitely fundie though! 

On 1/22/2017 at 5:39 PM, lawfulevil said:

Why do they need to monitor Minecraft? Afraid someone might give the kids sex education with pixel dicks?

WARNING: Do not peruse FJ while eating your dinner, unless you want to choke to death because comments like this make you laugh and inhale your mouthful of food....while your family watches in amusement...

My daughter is a huge Minecraft fan. They have different types of "skins" you can get which changes the appearance of the game. (Her favorite one makes everything look like candy.) My mother sent me an article link about an X-rated "skin" that allows the characters to have sex. So unfortunately Minecraft could give sex education with pixel dicks. 

@refugee, I recently transitioned into paleo after doing whole30 and LOVING it. I think I'm maybe the only person who enjoyed whole30. :pb_lol: I just feel so much better eating this way, mentally and physically. I used to have terrible sugar cravings and they're gone now. 

4 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

@refugee, I recently transitioned into paleo after doing whole30 and LOVING it. I think I'm maybe the only person who enjoyed whole30. :pb_lol: I just feel so much better eating this way, mentally and physically. I used to have terrible sugar cravings and they're gone now. 

I'm starting my first Whole30 on Sunday (got my groceries today, prep tomorrow).  

i am somewhat looking forward to it.

Archived