IGNORED

I just saw a commercial for the ark encounter

dawbs

3 hours ago, PraiseDog said:

A Fundy co-worker years ago told me fossils were just placed in the ground by God for our entertainment. 

You have to be a special kind of stupid to believe that nonsense.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Swamptribe said:

Didn't the Duggars visit Hovid at one point?  Swear I saw pictures of them hanging out with him.

I remember they went to the creation museum at one point, but I think they met with Ken Ham

To those of you who said your grandmas would have taken you there: I am a failure. I took my grandson to Disneyland.

39 minutes ago, Swamptribe said:

Didn't the Duggars visit Hovid at one point?  Swear I saw pictures of them hanging out with him.

Yes there pics of Jim Bob hanging out with him online. All these connections I'm just now finding out about are crazy. 

21 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

To those of you who said your grandmas would have taken you there: I am a failure. I took my grandson to Disneyland.

well, to be fair, while either of my grandmas might have taken m me there, they would have done so only *before* i reached kindergarten.......

1 hour ago, Peas n carrots said:

Yah there were some explanations about how there were dinos on the Ark but they were baby dinos and something about being underfed or their food kept them from growing? I have no idea I was bored, hot and it was crowded. The one thing that made me happy was the majority of young kids appeared to be bored and were fucking around. I want to say admission was about $40 for an adult? You can buy a pass that gets you into the Creation Museum for $60 and it saves you a few bucks

That is so expensive!!!! There is no way giant fundie families could afford that. I guess Jill Rod would go and have the kids look in the windows....

5 hours ago, PraiseDog said:

I noticed on the sign "The Sloth Kind" it mentions fossils - I thought these 6000-y-o earth types didn't believe in fossils? Or at least don't believe they represent earlier forms of life. A Fundy co-worker years ago told me fossils were just placed in the ground by God for our entertainment. 

I heard they were placed by Satan "to deceive us."

2 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

"Get me the *!#! out of here! The only animals I want to see for the next 50 years are the ones cooked for my supper!" Maybe?

They may not have wanted to see (or smell) each other either.  Unfortunately, the opportunities for social interaction had become very limited.

6 hours ago, Swamptribe said:

Jim Bob was with the family when they drove over to Mississippi to pick up Kent from prison in July 2015.

19 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

Yes there pics of Jim Bob hanging out with him online. All these connections I'm just now finding out about are crazy

The world gets smaller every day, doesn't it?

Just had a brilliant thought: if the ARC doesn't quite make it from a business standpoint (low attendance numbers/too high prices/et al), they could renovate it & change it into the Arc Hotel. They could probably recoup some of the money they wasted spent with building this monstrosity, & make people feel privileged to have "Slept in the Arc that Noah built" (tm).

On 1/13/2017 at 4:20 PM, smittykins said:

I heard they were placed by Satan "to deceive us."

My grandfather said they were put there by God to test our faith. My liberal, atheist self clearly failed that test. 

The world gets smaller every day, doesn't it?
Just had a brilliant thought: if the ARC doesn't quite make it from a business standpoint (low attendance numbers/too high prices/et al), they could renovate it & change it into the Arc Hotel. They could probably recoup some of the money they wasted spent with building this monstrosity, & make people feel privileged to have "Slept in the Arc that Noah built" ™.

It would probably violate all kinds of occupancy codes with lack of Windows. In fact it surprises
me it doesn't currently do so unless Kentucky made a code variance for the Ark?

I saw an ad for film (a Fathom Event) espousing a literal interpretation of Genesis on Sunday when I went with my oldest daughter and granddaughter to see Singing in the Rain.  I was swearing under my breath while the promo was running.  After SitR was over and we were driving home, my daughter said that she and her husband couldn't stand those people that insisted that you interpret Genesis as an historical document.

I can't remember what day that film was playing.  Not going to waste my time or money.

On 1/13/2017 at 7:27 AM, Scrabblemaster said:

Are these two dinosaurs? I thought fundies believe they were killed during the flood? Sorry if i am sounding stupid, maybe it is been discussed here, but what would the two animals which look like dinosaurs to me eat? Did god just decided they did not get hungry? :pizza:

Edit: or did noah only save herbivores? Maybe i will write a research paper using my bible :irony:

The most popular view among YEC (young earth creationist) believers right now, and the view espoused by Answers in Genesis (Ken Ham's company and the company who owns the Ark Encounter) is that there were dinosaurs on the ark, that they survived the flood to inspire the legends of dragons found in cultures all over the world, but were mostly killed off for their meat/to protect humans from them hundreds to possibly thousands of years ago. They also believe, however, that there could be dinosaurs still alive in some places around the world. Search the Answers in Genesis website for the term "Mokele mbembe" for an example if you want a rabbit hole to go down. If you don't have time, the tl;dr version is that mokele mbembe is supposedly the native name for a sauropod type dinosaur still currently living in the jungles of the Congo. As for what they ate, the Bible says God gave permission to Noah to eat animals for meat after they disembarked from the ark, and AiG's opinion is that that included animals. So in other words, they believe all people and animals were vegetarian until after the flood.

Since Kent Hovind was brought up later in the thread, the above view is also the one he subscribes to. Even in fundie circles, the people who believe that fossils were placed in the ground by Satan to deceive people are an extreme minority. The "mainstream" fundie view is that the fossils are the result of, and proof of, Noah's flood. 

On 1/12/2017 at 6:35 PM, Four is Enough said:

Why is the announcer speaking in a British accent?

To sound intellectual. ;)

Actually, is that announcer Ken Ham himself?  He's Australian and that accent doesn't sound quite British to me.

The Ark Encounter sounds like a pile of crap to me. I can't wait until it goes bust.   Even Christianity Today gave it a very lukewarm review.  http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2016/july-web-only/ken-ham-ark-encounter-visit.html?start=1

@Howl Jen Fishburne (Epstein, etc) is a really horrible person.  You can add Kinist to your list of why she is a dolt and a horror.

15 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I saw an ad for film (a Fathom Event) espousing a literal interpretation of Genesis on Sunday when I went with my oldest daughter and granddaughter to see Singing in the Rain.  I was swearing under my breath while the promo was running.  After SitR was over and we were driving home, my daughter said that she and her husband couldn't stand those people that insisted that you interpret Genesis as an historical document.

I can't remember what day that film was playing.  Not going to waste my time or money.

It's probably "Is Genesis History," which is scheduled to play in hundreds of theatres on February 23. Del Tackett, who has a doctorate in something not scientific, is the front guy for this "documentary." Tackett formerly worked at Focus on the Fetus, oops, FAMILY, so you can tell where this is coming from.

In the interests of completeness, here is the link.

http://isgenesishistory.com/

I am NOT endorsing this swill, which is likely a lie from the first frame of film to the last. I only know about this because someone wanted to know if Kent Hovind was involved. (Answer: nope.)

Ken Ham is holding a "Understanding World Religions" seminar this summer. Basically 4 days to figure out how to "teach" people the "correct religion." Basically he is desperately trying to make his museum and Ark Encounter look busy during high tourist season.

3 hours ago, klavierspieler said:

The most popular view among YEC (young earth creationist) believers right now, and the view espoused by Answers in Genesis (Ken Ham's company and the company who owns the Ark Encounter) is that there were dinosaurs on the ark, that they survived the flood to inspire the legends of dragons found in cultures all over the world, but were mostly killed off for their meat/to protect humans from them hundreds to possibly thousands of years ago. They also believe, however, that there could be dinosaurs still alive in some places around the world. Search the Answers in Genesis website for the term "Mokele mbembe" for an example if you want a rabbit hole to go down. If you don't have time, the tl;dr version is that mokele mbembe is supposedly the native name for a sauropod type dinosaur still currently living in the jungles of the Congo. As for what they ate, the Bible says God gave permission to Noah to eat animals for meat after they disembarked from the ark, and AiG's opinion is that that included animals. So in other words, they believe all people and animals were vegetarian until after the flood.

Since Kent Hovind was brought up later in the thread, the above view is also the one he subscribes to. Even in fundie circles, the people who believe that fossils were placed in the ground by Satan to deceive people are an extreme minority. The "mainstream" fundie view is that the fossils are the result of, and proof of, Noah's flood. 

Holy moly. What did i just read? I mean i know they have strange believes on so many levels but i am still surprised the more i get to know. 

Thanks for the infos and the new rabbit hole. 

Somehow it shows me how hard it must be to for them to believe in things like evolution, Darwin, the real age of the earth ... I could go on.  Their believes sound like fairytales to me, it must be the same for them, just the other way round. 

4 hours ago, Scrabblemaster said:

Somehow it shows me how hard it must be to for them to believe in things like evolution, Darwin, the real age of the earth ... I could go on.  Their believes sound like fairytales to me, it must be the same for them, just the other way round. 

Pretty much. I grew up steeped in it (went to AiG conferences, met Hovind numerous times, used Abeka and BJU "science" books, etc.) and it all seemed utterly ridiculous to me until I got to a state college and learned the real evidence behind evolution as opposed to what I'd been told the evidence was. It took me a while to wrap my head around it and really fully change my views.

• 3 weeks later...

So, this is the commercial that has been airing all over the place.  It came on last night and my husband said "well, thats bullshit!"  I looked over and said "what?"  He said "no real fundie family would allow their children to lay on a bed together! And certainly not wearing a princess dress!"

He's been trained so well... 

On 1/17/2017 at 0:19 PM, Palimpsest said:

@Howl Jen Fishburne (Epstein, etc) is a really horrible person.  You can add Kinist to your list of why she is a dolt and a horror.

Yes, indeed, she is so awful in so many ways that it's hard to keep track of all the awful. 

My kids are less than thrilled that I am dragging them to this AND the Creation museum this spring. LittleSnazzy is so excited he actually groaned "why are you forcing me to go". I told him that attitude is exactly why he is going, because he needs to find Jesus...lol.

Sure, it's a pointless adventure for my merry band of Agnostics/Atheists, but come on, that is one big ass boat.

20 hours ago, SnazzyNazzy said:

My kids are less than thrilled that I am dragging them to this AND the Creation museum this spring. LittleSnazzy is so excited he actually groaned "why are you forcing me to go". I told him that attitude is exactly why he is going, because he needs to find Jesus...lol.

Sure, it's a pointless adventure for my merry band of Agnostics/Atheists, but come on, that is one big ass boat.

Unfortunately, it's to far for me, but I'd love to see it just for snark's sake. Has someone who's been there seen other non-believers? 

On 1/17/2017 at 9:24 PM, klavierspieler said:

Pretty much. I grew up steeped in it (went to AiG conferences, met Hovind numerous times, used Abeka and BJU "science" books, etc.) and it all seemed utterly ridiculous to me until I got to a state college and learned the real evidence behind evolution as opposed to what I'd been told the evidence was. It took me a while to wrap my head around it and really fully change my views.

It was the same for me. Evolution seemed utterly ridiculous until I actually learned about it. But even then, it took a long time to finally accept that everything I had been taught was wrong and all the things I had been taught were lies were instead true. After years of indoctrination, it really is hard to deprogram and accept the truth. 

On 13.1.2017 at 11:59 AM, Childless said:

The whole endeavor was poorly planned and poorly executed.

What do you expect from people who believe the earth is a couple of thousand years old ?

On 13.1.2017 at 0:59 PM, Peas n carrots said:

The structure itself is quite impressive, but I have doubts as to whether it is seaworthy.

I thought about that too . I mean it's probably not going to sink immediately but you have to  distribute the animals the right way  so you don't end up with the elephants and rhinos and other larger passengers on one side .

On 2.2.2017 at 8:54 PM, Buzzard said:

So, this is the commercial that has been airing all over the place.  It came on last night and my husband said "well, thats bullshit!"  I looked over and said "what?"  He said "no real fundie family would allow their children to lay on a bed together! And certainly not wearing a princess dress!"

He's been trained so well... 

Think bigger -- and then please stop thinking again . Only Satan wants you to use your brain .

Archived