IGNORED

Counting On Season Three

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, flycat said:

We also assume that her parents truly understand how bad Josh's actions were.  We talk a lot about the children in fundie families not being exposed to the world much and listening to their parents but if their parents are just as sheltered from the world they may not have the life experiences to guide their children either. I think sometimes we like to think these parents are like omniscient oracles who choose not to share information about the world. In truth, they are just sheltered and ill prepared to deal with the world.

Mike Keller works in prison ministry.  He's been exposed enough to know what Josh's actions mean.  It's possible that JB and Josh didn't give him the full picture though.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anna is looking at big sis (Esther) and thinking "I may be married to a cheating douchebag who doesn't love me, but at least I'm not in Africa with no decent water or electricity or healthcare and no support network married to a different narcissist."  As bad as her marriage is, at least she and the kids have access to a support system (she has people to talk to and who can watch her kids) and there's no question of them not having food & shelter and other amenities.  Of the sister's she didn't make the worst marriage and she probably knows iir.

1 hour ago, flycat said:

We also assume that her parents truly understand how bad Josh's actions were.  We talk a lot about the children in fundie families not being exposed to the world much and listening to their parents but if their parents are just as sheltered from the world they may not have the life experiences to guide their children either. I think sometimes we like to think these parents are like omniscient oracles who choose not to share information about the world. In truth, they are just sheltered and ill prepared to deal with the world.

None of the parents are sheltered/naive like the kids because this fundie/Gothard lifestyle was not around when they grew up. Also modern homeschooling was practically unheard of in America until the huge boom in the 80s/90s. Yes some parents like Jim Bob went to Christian schools and such, but none of them lived this reclusive Little-House-On-The-Prairie lifestyle that fundies started doing around the time Bill Gothard and Mary Pride got popular. 

3 hours ago, socalrules said:

Jeremy was not a star player. i think for one team he just rode the bench. In one of the earlier threads someone found his salary and I think it was around $40k a season. I wouldn't doubt that he needs the TLC money to pay everyday living expenses. I doubt his home church is paying him much in salary  for the tiny church he runs.

Yeah don't forget Jeremy's tiny apartment in Laredo (I think he has since upgraded after Jinger/TLC came along). Austin Forsyth probably has more money than Jeremy. 

The way TLC handles this show confuses me so much. Lots of ads for it during their shows (featuring the video version of the weird photo shoot), but usually they marathon previous seasons the day of a new episode.  They're not doing that today for Counting On. Its just on at 9, after a day of reruns of other shows, and then that's it. Random. It's like they want to support it, but not that much. 

I know they can't get a lot of sponsors so that's probably why, but I don't get why they keep it around when it's obvious they're not 100% on board. 

On 1/14/2017 at 11:48 AM, wandering woman said:

I'm completely over Jill and Jessa.  They constantly crave attention, and they think that everyone cares about their pregnancies.

I was thinking about how the Bates kids seem smarter than the Duggars.  Erin, Lawson, Tori, Carlin, and Josie come across as quite intelligent and articulate.  Jana is the only older Duggar child who may be bright, but it is hard to tell because she is so quiet.  Jessa, Jill, and Jinger don't seem especially intelligent, but it could be because they have led such dysfunctional, sheltered lives.

First bold: They're just doing their jobs, which is to get people to watch the show. I know I'm in the minority, but I don't actually think Jessa enjoys the attention; she simply understands that this is her job, so she's doing it. As a matter of fact, I don't think she particularly likes this "job," and that's part of why she comes across poorly at times. Get a new job, Jessa. ;) 

Second bold: First of all, there are fifteen other Duggar kids who we don't see as often on camera, so how can any of us judge their intelligence? Second, I don't think it's possible to gauge a person's intelligence by watching them for a few minutes on a (completely staged) reality show. Third, I actually think Jessa's pretty sharp, but again I'm probably in the minority. Fourth, remember that they have terrible SOTDRT educations, which would make anyone appear stupider than she is.

Sorry, wandering woman, that second bit just hit a nerve for me. 

On 1/14/2017 at 2:00 PM, HomeschooledHeartThrob said:

Slightly off topic but why did Jinger get such a huge elaborate wedding when her sisters and Josh got a comparable backyard BBQ wedding? 

<snip>

ALSO WHY does Jinger's face look so different in her wedding pictures/footage!?!?!? She's a pretty girl in all other views but her face what happened!? Her lips look crooked and her cheeks look like she's gained weight.

@wandering woman Look at Jimbob and her brothers. Considering the genetic pool Jessa is quite attractive in Fundie standards. Unfortunately Bin as well. These people make Breaking Amish look like America's Next Top Model. I've never understood why the Duggar women look pretty while the men look like Mr Potato Head fell in love with an Avocado...

I thought it was established that Jinger's wedding was "styled," or maybe that's not the right term, meaning most of the wedding was free or cheap so that the vendors could use it for their own promotional purposes?

There's nothing wrong with Jinger's face? And if anything she was a bit thin before the wedding, imo.

Jessa is quite attractive by most standards. Of course, that's a matter of opinion, but I'd say she's the very picture of conventionally attractive. 

I don't mean to pick on you, HomeschooledHeartThrob. You just made several points I wanted to respond to. :) 

On 1/14/2017 at 2:31 PM, buggers said:

I can't remember exact details, but whenever she was redecorating the house, they called her bossy. And you could see the sass when Jessa was trying to tell Jana what to do, which Jana didn't take well.  And then when the other kids were talking about Jana's future partner, they were saying how she'd want a hard working, dirt under the nails kinda guy. All of this is very opposite of her on-screen appearances. She's always to quiet and meek when speaking to the camera, but I think she (like John David) is uncomfortable on screen. 

I don't remember now if you were referring to Jana or Jessa, but it could be that they both have...strong personalities, which could cause fireworks when they clash. I've mentioned it before--I think Jessa's an INTJ, which is incredibly rare for women and they can often come off as bossy, bitchy, unfeminine, etc, which has to be hard for a woman from a culture with such rigid gender expectations. Which reminds me. Where is @lascuba? I miss you and your input here in Duggarland.

9 hours ago, eveandadam said:

I don't know if you could consider a 20 year old a fully grown person. Anna was 20 when she married Josh plus she was raised in an extreme cult and probably didn't know anything about interacting with men other than men are beasts and it's her responsability if they don't behave.

I don't blame Anna for marrying Josh, she was pretty much a child.

I don't know if I could blame her for staying with him. She has no education or job history, but at least she is a tv personality and would find a lot of help outside of the Duggar family if she left Josh. I don't think she would get any money from Josh because it's all JB's money in the end and JB doesn't have to pay a dime to his grandchildren if he doesn't want to (am I right with that?). Josh could be broke on paper because JB owns everything.

I think the combination of Anna not being raised to know her rights and not being a brave person in general results in her staying with Josh.

If Anna ever realizes how much power she has, the Duggars are in for a world of hurt. I'm rooting for her.

Sorry for the wall of text; I'm getting caught up.

4 hours ago, socalrules said:

Jeremy was not a star player. i think for one team he just rode the bench. In one of the earlier threads someone found his salary and I think it was around $40k a season. I wouldn't doubt that he needs the TLC money to pay everyday living expenses. I doubt his home church is paying him much in salary  for the tiny church he runs.

Yeah, Jeremy's level, compared to European football, is one of the lowest domestic levels.  He was hardly about to be signed for FC Barcelona, or Chelsea.  There's a reason big UK stars go to the USA to play after their European careers are over, just as the top, IDK, American Football, Basketball or Ice Hockey players in the UK are nowhere near the top of the USA - if they were that good, they'd be over there, playing with the best in the world. 

(I think Jeremy played for a Finnish team at one point?  But Finland has nowhere near the big football leagues like the British, Spanish, Italian, Brazilian, French, German, Mexican etc etc etc)

1 hour ago, Jiraffe said:

I know they can't get a lot of sponsors so that's probably why, but I don't get why they keep it around when it's obvious they're not 100% on board. 

I was thinking there might be a contractual agreement on future filming based on viewership numbers... by not overly promoting it, true colors might prove it is time to ax it.... I had TLC on last night and do not recall seeing one commercial for the Duggars.

9 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

I was thinking there might be a contractual agreement on future filming based on viewership numbers... by not overly promoting it, true colors might prove it is time to ax it.... I had TLC on last night and do not recall seeing one commercial for the Duggars.

Good point! I was watching Sister Wives and saw a few ads for the Duggars, but it was the later showing so after midnight. Not exactly prime viewership hours. 

9 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

That isn't really how TLC writes contracts.  These contracts are written so that the network can cancel the show at almost any time.  They do seasons in blocks of episodes, but they are usually small with options the network can exercise.  The network is seldom on the hook for more than six to nine episodes at a time for a very small network like TLC.  TLC is making money or the show wouldn't be on the air.  Either it is super, super cheap to produce so they don't need a lot of advertisers to cover the cost and/or it pulls up the TLC overall average enough to make it profitable because it raises their overall ad rate.  If TLC didn't want to have the Duggars on, they simply wouldn't. 

On 13.1.2017 at 5:52 PM, RosyDaisy said:

JD threw Josh under the bus. He said something to the effect of he lost all respect for Josh. My evil side wishes JD had beat Josh's ass.

I am pretty sure Boob at least thought about beating the shit outta Josh a  few times. Not because of his actions, but he endangered the TLC gravy train.

On 15.1.2017 at 2:05 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I actually think she may want something even less formal than Anna's. I think she will wear cowgirl boots and the dress won't have much of a train. I doubt it will have any bling. I can't imagine a full poofy skirt either. I guess I'm just picturing kind of a light flowy simple type dress. Joy seems not not like feeling restricted in her clothing. I picture a dress like this but with a simpler top:

IMG_0607.JPG

Wonderful dress. And although it is highly unlikely I'd love to see Joy in a dress similar to this one. Maybe a little bit shorter so you can see the cowgirl boots!

On 15.1.2017 at 1:17 PM, wandering woman said:

Sam's Furniture is a major step down from the Walmart accounting job he had prior to moving to El Salvador.  I assume they're living in the mini mansion with the pool that is owned by Jim Boob.  Jessa must be envious that Jill gets to live in the great house while she's stuck in that rambler that Josh and Anna used to occupy.

The reason Jinger got a more elaborate wedding is because that's what TLC wanted, and they paid for the whole thing.

I never understood why Jill and Derrick got the big mansion and Ben and Jessa had to live in the little house.

BTW - does anybody have a link so I can see some more pictures of the Dullards home?

There is an audience for people like the Duggar's, the right wing Christians, and not even fundy or fundy light who see any negative comment, no matter how inconsequential as an attack on themselves.  By keeping the Duggar's on TLC they are appeasing those folks who also like other shows, By not showing advertisements during the Duggar hour they are appeasing everyone else, we are talking 1 hour of TV 12 weeks out of the year, they can lose that revenue to keep viewership up on other shows.  They are trying to have their cake and eat it too here. 

As for intelligence. I do not think Jessa is dumb by any stretch, I don't really think any of them are with maybe the exception of JillyMuffin. She is ether just an epic level ditz, or dumber than a box of rocks. It is hard to tell, but she come across as a little flaky and very unsure of herself, I know people like that, they are very book smart but they don't have a lick of common sense, so they come across as stupid.  

It is hard to know what kind of education the older Duggar's got from I'd say Joe on up. We know Joy was the 1st baby handed off to a sister mom, so was she the 1st to be educated  by her siblings?  Jill was 7 only 7 when Joy was born and Josh was 9, they had 9 kids 9 & under How much SOTDRT could they have gotten really? Lack of common sense aside, there was/is probably a real lack of book knowledge.  they couldn't afford tutors at this point either they were all in a tiny house hiding in the bathroom just to get enough to eat. Remember babies 10 & 11 can 14 months after Joy. It had to be brutal for the oldest 8 or so kids. The youngest 3 were far to young to fend for themselves and oldest were probably much like the youngest, practically feral with minimal supervision and no guidance beyond do what we say or you will be beaten until you do.  All the kiddults down to the lost girls have had a truly horrific upbringing of abuse neglect and for the older ones malnutrition.  That is probably why all the older boys are so short. 

16 minutes ago, ophelia said:

I am pretty sure Boob at least thought about beating the shit outta Josh a  few times. Not because of his actions, but he endangered the TLC gravy train.

Wonderful dress. And although it is highly unlikely I'd love to see Joy in a dress similar to this one. Maybe a little bit shorter so you can see the cowgirl boots!

I never understood why Jill and Derrick got the big mansion and Ben and Jessa had to live in the little house.

BTW - does anybody have a link so I can see some more pictures of the Dullards home?

She isn't wearing cowgirl boots, she'll have flip flops on if she wears shoes at all.  This is the 1 Duggar daughter that NEVER wears shoes, everyone says so and every time you see her she's barefoot.  I remember seeing her dirty bare feet walking across the church parking lot with Jill & Derrick just before their wedding. I LOVE the dress the other poster put up, I can totally see her in something like that, not very formal, but soft and lacy, and not frilly. That totally seems her style and perfect if she gets married at the camp ground, or what ever that thing is Austin's family owns. 

26 minutes ago, ophelia said:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1969-Dowell-St-Springdale-AR-72762/2146944458_zpid/

...One is that Anna should have been aware/should leave to protect her children from Josh, and the other is that she was too young and naive to understand what he'd done. Now she has 4 children, she should leave or should stay where she has support from the TTH. Anna is probably still in turmoil. I feel for her.

Personally, I don't think Joshgate I was the problem for them, as molesting children doesn't seem to be seen as that criminal in their circle, probably even normal.
Joshgate II with Joshs unfaithfulness caused the whole turmoil, as it's considered sin. I doubt that leaving Josh ever entered Annas mind. In their world, Joshs behaviour was a lot Annas fault (because she wasn't a godly wife enough, otherwise her headship would have never felt the temptation to do what he did).

3 hours ago, Smash! said:

Personally, I don't think Joshgate I was the problem for them, as molesting children doesn't seem to be seen as that criminal in their circle, probably even normal.
Joshgate II with Joshs unfaithfulness caused the whole turmoil, as it's considered sin. I doubt that leaving Josh ever entered Annas mind. In their world, Joshs behaviour was a lot Annas fault (because she wasn't a godly wife enough, otherwise her headship would have never felt the temptation to do what he did).

It was sickening how they were all crying on cam about Josh's cheating, but yet acted like the molesting was nothing. But what do you expect, they continued to attend the ATI convention in Big Sandy even after Gothard was exposed as a molestor. That says it all. 

15 hours ago, ven said:

Let us not forget that Jeremy was a professional soccerplayer , they make shitloads of money  here in europe . I bet he has a nice amount  in his bank account. He is by far the best catch moneywise any duggar daughter has landed.

He played backup goalie in FINLAND. Not exactly a hotbed of European soccer. Then he rode the pine for the NY Red Bulls and made a whopping $44,000 for the one year he spent there. You can't survive on that amount in NYC. Jeremy has never been flush in cash. 

TLC has a countdown , New Year's Eve style, to Counting On starting. Does it really make them that much money? I just happened to turn on TLC and totally forgot about it being tonight.  All this hype for the same stuff. Weddings. Babies. Dating. Courting. Bleh.

Oh dear Lord, Derrick barfing... and Ben rapping in the first two minutes.

What the fuck? I have two TLC channels here one is in Spanish and the other is in English but showing something called "Mother of All Talent"....I"m so pissed. 

Hey, Snarkettes --

Am I in the right thread for the Counting On episode that just started?  

I made sure to grab my chips & Diet Coke, but forgot the oh-so-important check-in of where we're "watching" together.

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived