IGNORED

Tabitha Paine & Tim Robertson Engagement (includes sexual assault discussion)

JillyO

Alright, so we were discussing Tabitha Paine's engagement to one Tim Robertson both in some Duggar threads (because they had their engagement party at the Duggar house) and in the "Unmarried Fundies" thread. Discussion starts here:

Because she is the world's greatest sleuth, @halcionne has now unearthed that someone who looks suspiciously like Tabitha's fiancé plus shares his name and birthday is a convicted sex offender. You can find this information here:

Discuss.

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At first I thought they were cute. But now... If the sex offender thing is true... How can those people claim to protect their daughters? Protect them from education and kissing before marriage but marrying sex offenders is all good and godly? Smh...

I hate to admit I was a little surprised when hearing about his past. It's a good reminder you should never, ever underestimate fundies and their capability to reach new lows just when you least expect it. Fuck IBLP, fuck ATI, fuck the Paine parents if they knew about this.

It's all about forgiveness and "we are not perfect" blah blah blah.... and look what happened to Anna and Josh? Let's hope Tabitha will be the lucky one

It might have only been mildly inappropriate abuse. *sarcasm.    Ugh.  

Perhaps Tabitha has seen how the Duggars downplayed Josh's actions and that the family and Anna have stood by him, and think that this guy has repented, been saved by the Lord or whatever, and that at her age she has few other options if she wants to get married and be a proper fundie woman?

It's OK, guys! He probably asked Jesus (not his victim(s)) to forgive him, so everything's OK now and he totally won't do the same things again with impunity because he knows that the community he's marrying into will gladly shield him from any real consequences!

Per this link http://publicindex.sccourts.org/Horry/PublicIndex/CaseDetails.aspx?County=26&CourtAgency=26001&Casenum=F952095&CaseType=C&HKey=104778974987273718311072871138610698661135579781001167288115109114681098876981027412011673114859011256 he was charged in December 1999, pled guilty in 2000 and was pardoned in 2008. 

Edited: Someone by by the same name with the same birthday had a PI arrest in Myrtle Beach in 1998. 

10 minutes ago, gustava said:

Horry County includes Myrtle Beach.  Given the dates, he could have been a young drunk.  Is this where he lives?

Not now, he lives in TN. Seems to have lived in Myrtle Beach then though, plus some time in VA. 

I'm unsurprised -- sad, but unsurprised -- that IBLP type Christians would excuse any wrongdoing, no matter how gross, before his apparent coming to Christ (per his Facebook, a few years after the arrest). 

I'm a little shocked that they'd let Tabitha (and that she would WANT to) marry somebody so... dumb. He just does not seem like a very sharp man. One of these "I'm a good solid hard worker, don't need no education" types -- but in addition to bring poorly educated, he just isn't very bright. 

My grandfather had virtually no education to speak of but was very intelligent. This Mr. Robertson... well, let's just say Tabi's gonna be the brains of the operation. Sigh. 

I truly hope someone in their circle secretly reads FJ and talks to her. I think it's just as likely she doesn't know as does. :my_sad: Could also be downplayed at its finest ala Josh. I really think the only way they'd know was if he told them and based on what I've seen, I think he has too much to lose in doing so. *sigh*

I dunno, man ...  I have a sinking feeling this is something that would be portrayed as a "I was a sinner and Jesus saved me" story so I'm sure they know something. 

I can just imagine the excuses, though.  "He was just curious about girls" "She tempted him" "Satan built a barbeque grill in his heart" 

Is he a born again christian? does anybody know it by a chance?

It reminds of my family member who turned her life into the Neocatechumenal Way after she had discovered her husband started to drink too much. They went very deep into it and one addiction turned into another one=community life. They became very strict and radical in daily life. They have now 3 kids, 14 grandchildren and counting. Everyone who is not in NCW community  can't stand them. They are always right and you are not as godly as them...This guy is dominant personality type and emotional abuser.

What I am trying to say is that some of the born again believers are dangerous IMO. They try to prove they are worth of the interest of the new community they are in. If they are nasty (and some of them are nasty) will cover that up more eagerly. I met a few more in te past and each of them had gone through tough time in life before joining some religious community (few of them live a happy life now though).

Tim Robertson's past (if that's him) and these beliefs make me a bit worried about Tabitha's future.

BTW: Was it only speculation or maybe a fact that Stevie M. had gone through some hard time in life changing him into ..... (fell free to insert).

35 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

I dunno, man ...  I have a sinking feeling this is something that would be portrayed as a "I was a sinner and Jesus saved me" story so I'm sure they know something. 

I can just imagine the excuses, though.  "He was just curious about girls" "She tempted him" "Satan built a barbeque grill in his heart" 

Barbecue grill in his heart... oh my.  Such a savory description.

This is Stephen Paine's daughter, right? Look at the stuff he is accused of. Is it any wonder he wouldn't blink at marrying his daughter off to someone with that sort of a history? 

I know virtually nothing about the Paine family. What was he accused of?

I just want to know if Tabitha knows about this or not. It's so....scary.

He was convicted of rape. which means there was enough evidence to support the claim. Most rapists aren't prosecuted. So the fact that he was convicted of rape is scary as hell. I don't care that he was saved by Jesus. I can't believe these people. She would be considered tainted goods if she had given some other guy a kiss. But he can rape a person and be forgiven and it's all good. :my_angry:

Description of the charge:

CRIMINAL SEXUAL CONDUCT - THIRD DEGREE

Class E Felony Code §16-3-654

CDR Code 162

Elements Of The Offense:

1. That the accused engaged in sexual battery with the victim; and

2. That one or more of the following circumstances are proven:

a. the accused used force or coercion to accomplish the sexual battery in the absence of aggravating circumstances.

b. the accused knew or had reason to know that the victim is mentally defective, mentally incapacitated, or physically helpless and aggravated force or aggravated coercion was not used.

Note: This section is distinguished from Criminal Sexual Conduct in the First and Second Degree by the lack of "aggravated force" or "aggravated coercion" as defined in §16-3-651(c) and (b).

Penalty:

Imprisonment for not more than 10 years at the discretion of the court.

What does it mean that he was pardoned?

5 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Description of the charge:

What does it mean that he was pardoned?

The description makes me think the victim was possibly passed out or so drunk and out of it that they couldn't consent? 

11 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

I know virtually nothing about the Paine family. What was he accused of?

In the lawsuit it says that Dr. Paine was employed by IBLP at that time and he did the examination. Jane Doe II was a minor living at the training center as a student during at that time. He said she was suffering from extreme stress and told her to eat a protein bar. Jane Doe II had informed Gothard and the staff that she was a victim of sexual abuse."

The Paine family, like the Bates are deep into IBLP and are accused of knowing of and covering up lots of evil things. Dr. Paine the IBLP doctor for years and serves with Gil on the Board of Directors. 

48 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

He was convicted of rape. which means there was enough evidence to support the claim. Most rapists aren't prosecuted. So the fact that he was convicted of rape is scary as hell. I don't care that he was saved by Jesus. I can't believe these people. She would be considered tainted goods if she had given some other guy a kiss. But he can rape a person and be forgiven and it's all good. :my_angry:

Ugh, yes. You just know that Christian forgiveness doesn't extend to a woman who had sex before she was married. 

I wasn't creeped out at all about the age difference, but this guy now seems like such a skeeve. And dumb as a rock. 

Did you all see that some one posted a comment about Tabi's fiance on Chad and Erin's Instagram?--

this is the comment:

jessiglaserAre you aware that your sisters fiance may be a sex offender?? A guy of the same name and dob has an entry. Sure looks like him as well

3 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Did you all see that some one posted a comment about Tabi's fiance on Chad and Erin's Instagram?--

this is the comment:

jessiglaserAre you aware that your sisters fiance may be a sex offender?? A guy of the same name and dob has an entry. Sure looks like him as well

Probably not the best way to go about it, but if they don't know, how can anyone be faulted for providing necessary information to a family selling off marrying their daughter to some man?

If Tabitha doesn't know....how heartbreaking when she finds out. Though I honestly hope she does find out sooner rather than later.

Of course, it the sexual battery (I assume this means rape but I suppose it could be other things?) happened when the woman was passed out, I'm sure these fucked up assholes would blame the victim and not him.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived