IGNORED

Tickling the Ivories - Jinger and Jeremy Vuolo

choralcrusader8613

1 hour ago, amandaaries said:

Oh, humans are the most interesting creatures out there: http://adequateman.deadspin.com/what-did-we-get-stuck-in-our-rectums-last-year-1790335507

:56247958035f1_32(18): After 3 years of working in an ER and an Urgent care the interesting people who come in. Especially on a Sunday morning, makes you never want to eat produce ever again. 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Tiny Bubbles said:

A friend had a vasectomy. At his post procedure sample check they found lots of sperm. Long story short, instead of two vas he had THREE, so after the vasectomy one was still in there pumping out the little swimmers!  

That's nuts. I did not know a guy can have 3 vasectomies. 

Yes it was a pretty big shock and his wife would have gotten pregnant for sure if he hadn't done the post vasectomy sample testing.  I have no idea how rare it is to have three vas instead of two!

I don't know what is standard now but mid 90s the guy had a choice of being snipped and tied or having a piece of the tube removed. Ironically my ex and my current both took the piece removed because they knew at least one guy who ended up having theirs repair itself. 

Yikes. I think many guys consider the post procedure sample testing a waste of time but sounds like it's well worth the trouble. 

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

I love the "when was your last period" question...I tell them sometime in 1991. They tend to look at me sort of funny at that point. 

I hate that question, because my answer has often been something along the lines of "about six months ago," and I can't stand the condescending looks they always give me when I insist that in no uncertain terms is there ANY chance I could be pregnant. My reproductive system is batshit defective, and though I rarely get my period, it lasts FOREVER when it finally shows up. (I talk about my period like prison, "yeah, I did about eight months time last year...kinda sucked.") Their bewilderment when I explain that I've been soaking overnight pads every half hour for days on end isn't much better.

They put me on Metformin in November (after TWENTY-SIX YEARS of being told my only option was the pill, which is apparently super dangerous if you're as prone to clotting as I am), and it was miraculous in stopping what had been going on for almost a year. I just started spotting a little yesterday, and I'm super afraid it means my body's getting too used to it for any benefit. :(

1 hour ago, Tiny Bubbles said:

A friend had a vasectomy. At his post procedure sample check they found lots of sperm. Long story short, instead of two vas he had THREE, so after the vasectomy one was still in there pumping out the little swimmers!  

My neighbor had a vas, and then conceived another child.  They sued, and won Big Time, and moved to the So Cal Coast.  I wonder how the youngest felt about it when she grew up and found out why they lived in luxury.

As in "we never wanted you, but look where you are now!"  ugh, thanks Mom and Dad.

Jinger's piano playing is nice. I wish I could play even one song that well, but it'll be a few years before I can practice much since I'm parenting 24/7 at the mo.

Re: the nurse baptizing the NICU baby - I would come unglued if someone did that to my child. It's presumptuous, uncalled for, and completely unprofessional to essentially force someone's child into your religion.

After some of the stories I've heard about Catholic hospitals in the U.S., I don't think they should be allowed to take ambulance patients unless the patient is capable of consenting to it. I certainly don't want to be treated at a hospital that won't use all available options just because I'm a woman, and I don't want that for my daughters, either. The same goes for any religion-run hospital that applies its religious rules to patients. I don't want to go there, I don't want my money going there, and I don't think they should be allowed to force non-consenting patients into their religious practices in emergency situations.

I had both little wolves in a Catholic hospital over 30 years ago. C sections. After Wolf 2 I had my tubes tied. Figured it would be a good time, since they were already in there. Nobody said I shouldn't or that they wouldn't do it, so not all Catholic hospitals are alike.

17 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I had both little wolves in a Catholic hospital over 30 years ago. C sections. After Wolf 2 I had my tubes tied. Figured it would be a good time, since they were already in there. Nobody said I shouldn't or that they wouldn't do it, so not all Catholic hospitals are alike.

30 years ago Catholic hospitals weren't so "in your face" about things. The UCCB has really clamped down recently. 

My only medical experience with a Catholic hospital was pretty negative. For background, I used to have pretty nasty cramps in general but every so often I'd have horrid, agonizing, can't-move-for-hours, forget-everything-that-happens-when-one-occurs period cramps. This had been happening on and off ever since I first got my period when I was 12/13. When I was in high school, one snuck up out of the blue (literally 20 minutes between perfectly fine and curled up on the floor of the nurse's office in a sweat-dripping, panting, near-hysterical wreck) and when my mom got to school to pick me up early she took one look and decided to get me to the hospital. The closest (Catholic) one happened to be across the street. I remember fainting in the ER waiting room, then being given some happy drugs by the nice nurses :) when they brought me in to see the resident gyno (or some sort of technician that dealt with women's health, can't really remember)  he did an ultrasound which revealed some cysts on my ovaries but refused to do any sort of intravaginal tests because, and I quote, I would "lose my virginity to the test". Needless to say my jaw dropped, as did my mom's, and quite frankly if I hadn't had been so drugged up I would have given him a piece of my mind. My mom didn't speak up right then either because she was understandably more concerned about me but when we left the hospital...oh boy was she mad.

So I don't particularly trust Catholic hospitals myself but if a non-reproductive emergency came up I'd use one in a pinch. We do get a laugh and an eye roll out of that technician's comment today, and I know several wonderful Catholic doctors who wouldn't hesitate to do right by me, but it was an absolutely ridiculous and medically incorrect comment that guy made and I can't help but wonder what drugs HE must have been zoinked out on! :P 

12 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

30 years ago Catholic hospitals weren't so "in your face" about things. The UCCB has really clamped down recently. 

Good to know.

They jumped on the hyper-evangelical misogynistic bandwagon about 20 years ago...

6 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

IIRC from my dad's EMT study guide I like to read sometimes, pregnancy/ectopic pregnancy is always suspected if a woman of childbearing age presents with abdominal pain, especially lower abdominal pain. I think it's mainly because the worst-case scenario is a ruptured ectopic pregnancy (though whether it's appendicitis or an ectopic pregnancy, stuff inside of you is exploding when it shouldn't).

I had appendicitis at 15 and yes, they asked me if there was any reason at all I could be pregnant and gave me a supposedly scary lecture about how dangerous an ectopic pregnancy could be when I said 0% chance since I have not had sex. I refused to take a pregnancy test and after spending the night in the hospital and pain not going down they decided to open me up and check, and appendicitis! I guess as was said here that a lot of women don'ẗ know if they are pregnant or not but I didn't just have sex and forgot about it, I knew I could not be pregnant.

I've lost track in the various threads, but I think this one was where the discussion of the elder Duggar family receiving a massive per-child  tax credit occurred. From what I've read of Trump's proposed tax plan, they will no longer receive that credit for their dependent children. At least at one time, Trump planned to take away the per child automatic credit and replace it with child care credits. Families that don't pay for child care won't receive credit.

It penalizes married couples with a stay at home parent, the ideal of many of his "family values" voters. I mean, it penalizes those heathen unmarried folks, too, at a greater rate, but that was to be expected, right?

I have to admit I would be deliciously tickled if a Trump policy where to have adverse financial consequences on the Duggars, considering what nasty politicians they've been campaigning for in the past. 

7 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

snipped

As a nurse in the ER, we always did pregnancy tests on females of child bearing years (which is quite a broad span). I once had a woman tell me she couldn't be pregnant as she had had a tubal. Guess what? She was pregnant. Oooops!

It's funny, but when I went to the ER with abdominal pain 2 years after my tubes were tied, I don't think they ever considered I might be pregnant. (Or if they did, no one said anything to me.) Their 3 main guesses were appendicitis, gall bladder, and ovarian cysts. It was a large ovarian cyst, lucky me.

I was so worried that they might not take my pain seriously, but no one ever suggested that I was imagining it or that I was drug seeking. Of course, I did lie down on the waiting room floor because I couldn't take the pain in a sitting position. And when the nice nurse let me use the couch in the staff room, I threw up right after the doctor came in the see me. (Not on him. Sorry if that's TMI.) But I suppose someone in withdrawl might do those things, too. So, I was very thankful they took me seriously.

1 hour ago, SoybeanQueen said:

I've lost track in the various threads, but I think this one was where the discussion of the elder Duggar family receiving a massive per-child  tax credit occurred. From what I've read of Trump's proposed tax plan, they will no longer receive that credit for their dependent children. At least at one time, Trump planned to take away the per child automatic credit and replace it with child care credits. Families that don't pay for child care won't receive credit.

It penalizes married couples with a stay at home parent, the ideal of many of his "family values" voters. I mean, it penalizes those heathen unmarried folks, too, at a greater rate, but that was to be expected, right?

Between this and him not bothering to pick a Secretary of Agriculture, I think it's becoming eminently clear that he never actually cared about the needs of the people who got him into the White House.

Sorry, I'm going back a bit - I just wanted to comment on the discussion around what is comforting for an atheist to hear when in a bad situation.

I'm an atheist, I don't believe in fate or God or angels or anything like that, but when I was going through bad times my mum would always say "everything happens for a reason". It's a saying that's misunderstood by a lot of people but to me it's always meant "things are difficult now but in the future you may be thankful because it will lead you down a road that will bring you greater happiness". It's funny because every time she said it I told her there was no reason, and then weeks or months later found myself thinking "I'm so glad X happened, because otherwise I wouldn't be where I am now" and then gone "OH. That's the reason!"

For example. My BF broke up with me out of the blue. I was crazy about him and absolutely devastated. My mum said "It's happened for a reason, you'll see". Fast forward and now I'm with a wonderful guy who I would never have met if I hadn't have met the first one.

Or having depression. Although Mum never outright said it happened for a reason, now I look back and in a weird way am grateful that I had it. I'm much more sensitive, in tune with my feelings, emotionally healthier, and look after myself more than I ever did before I had depression. I'm also better at understanding others. 

Or my dad having cancer when I was a girl. At the time it was horrific and horrible. Now (13 yrs later) I have a very close relationship with my dad and we've never argued. He's my hero. When I think about why we're so close, I think it's because I came close to losing him that time.

I know it's not comforting to everyone but it really is to me.

Sorry... please continue :)

12 hours ago, kinphilly said:

Late to the party here, and this may all be old news but: 

1.  the Twelve Days of Christmas was the Carol Sing-a-long at Longwood Gardens.   That is just the speed the amazingly talented organist plays that one (probably to fit in more songs in his alloted 30 minutes)

2.  The theater is almost certainly Sight and Sound in Lancaster ( http://blog.cmworks.com/recent-sight-and-sound-theatre-installation-incorporates-the-latest-of-american-technology/   ) - it is definitely not the interior of the Academy of Music or the Kimmel Center in Philly.  

Good catch, kinphilly!  Sight and Sound puts on religious shows & seems to be a fundy favorite--don't know why we didn't think of it before! I guess they saw the "Miracle of Christmas" show: http://www.sight-sound.com/WebSite/shows.do?showCD=MOC

Isn't there a Sight and Sound Theater in Branson, MO as well?

Alas, and we were hoping that they were seeing something somewhat secular. Shouldn't have gotten our hopes up.

7 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

25 years ago when my psycho mom had her hysterectomy she had to have it done at a different hospital because the catholic one she uses (because she's catholic) wouldn't allow for it, even though she was pushing 50 had 3 almost grown children and my father had had a Vasectomy 17 years earlier.  Fast forward several  years and my doc is trying to convince my 29 year old self to have my tubes tied in that very same hospital because I was about to have my 2nd child, and that is enough, in his opinion.  Great doc, but obviously isn't one for over population of the earth. 

Re: tox screenings, not gonna lie, I'm preggers and this one made me irrationally paranoid because of my inhaler... http://narrative.ly/i-went-to-the-hospital-to-give-birthand-tested-positive-for-meth/

Re: Catholic hospitals, it's true, the more recent "guidelines" are much stricter. Those 5 women in Michigan are suing because despite currently undergoing miscarriages and signs of infection, the hospital told them they couldn't remove the fetuses until *the women were septic* due to the new UBBC guidelines. They actually just waited around for the women to develop sepsis!!!! Hope they win and win hard. 

Reversing back to Blessa's video. What happened to Christmas ONLY being about the Lord? That's a tonne of commercial merchandise under the (pagan) tree! How many were bought used? 

Hypocritical arseholes. 

Pretty much any woman between 12 and 60 who presents with stomach pain gets a pregnancy test. They just don't announce it. It's standard procedure. So, my daughter with chronic pain has been tested 12 times in 18 months. Basically, she can deny she's pg, but she gets the test anyway. One of my former students who is now a doctor explained to me that some people are in denial about possibly being pg, some don't know they are pg, and teens won't admit it in front of parents. He said that the test was SOP in every hospital he's been in because it is inexpensive and it is good health care to rule out pg.

I assume a pregnancy test whenever something happens to my body at the drs. I don't get offended even if i haven't had sex etc etc because they just want to be sure they don't do any harm. People lie, pregnancy tests produce false negatives, symptoms may not be present, strange things happen, and they can't take the chance that you might fall into one of those categories, no matter how much they trust you.

As per "everything happens for a reason," this is one of my pet peeves. I hate being told it. It feels dismissive of my current feelings and suggests some sort of higher power manipulating my life. Like people are supposed to just accept and be happy that their partner died, they had a miscarriage, whatever, as if it's some promise of a happier future. Yes, events may lead to other events, but something shitty happening doesn't mean you are due a reward.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived