IGNORED

Tickling the Ivories - Jinger and Jeremy Vuolo

choralcrusader8613

2 minutes ago, albireo said:

Hell, there are carts selling beer on the platforms at Grand Central!

I've been tempted by it a few times (train-beer does sound fun), but back when I commuted on Metro-North (now I live in the city), I had to drive home from the train station, and since I have ridiculously low tolerance, I make it a policy not to drive if I've had even one drink.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I've been tempted by it a few times (train-beer does sound fun), but back when I commuted on Metro-North (now I live in the city), I had to drive home from the train station, and since I have ridiculously low tolerance, I make it a policy not to drive if I've had even one drink.

Not a commuter, but I used to live along the Metro-North route. Never had train beer, but I've had pre-flight beer which is pretty nice.

On the subject of your drinking and driving policy, I absolutely agree and would probably use those exact words if you asked me. Too nervous to take those kinds of chances.

So I have a question, (sorry if this has already been discussed). But I was reading some of the interview of Jingers dress maker and she says that her and her team "designed" the bridesmaid dresses. But i thought that back in november, FJ found the exact dresses and in the exact colors on a different website. Do you think she is lying? Also her bragging about putting pearls on the dress against Jingers wishes annoys me a bit, what do you think?

7 minutes ago, Jessalyn said:

So I have a question, (sorry if this has already been discussed). But I was reading some of the interview of Jingers dress maker and she says that her and her team "designed" the bridesmaid dresses. But i thought that back in november, FJ found the exact dresses and in the exact colors on a different website. Do you think she is lying? Also her bragging about putting pearls on the dress against Jingers wishes annoys me a bit, what do you think?

Yes she's lying. It's in her reviews about how she claims to design her dresses but then brides have found the same dresses in different stores. If I am remembering correctly she removes the tags to try to hide it. 

3 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

Yes she's lying. It's in her reviews about how she claims to design her dresses but then brides have found the same dresses in different stores. If I am remembering correctly she removes the tags to try to hide it. 

So why would TLC/Duggars choose her?

1 hour ago, MarblesMom said:

I was recently in North Carolina, where I was informed that there are no hard alcohol sales after 9pm Sat night til on Sunday after church is out.  Wow, NC, policing your citizens a bit..?!  Loosey-goosey citizens cannot be trusted to not be drunk/hungover and subtly pushing them to attend church?

Geeze, it was a weird vibe....

Does that policy affect bars and such? And after 9 PM on a saturday... That would totally ruin restaurants here. 

I dunno - that was the word from the person at the cash register at the hard likker store at 8:58 pm.  I was just along for the ride.... and the info dispensed.

Perhaps that is just for stores and not restaurants/bars?

I know here in sin city there are times you can't buy alcohol in the grocery store...but I'm never up late enough to know when that is. You can get liquor, beer and wine at just about any store that carries drinks. Walgreen's, CVS, grocery stores, WalMart. Its the same in Arizona too. In Virginia, where I'm from, you can only buy liquor in a state store. I think in Indiana you could also buy liquor in the grocery store. 

Southern states are weird with the alcohol thing...

4 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

As an international student studying in the states (from the Caribbean) I can say that there is a huge college drinking problem. Where I'm from, people definitely drink but they point isn't really to get drunk (though people most definitely do get drunk). The legal age here is 18 but it's not strictly enforced. My mom let me taste beer when I was 12, there was alcohol and family reunions but nobody drank excessively (except my uncle). 

In my experience college parties involve getting out-of-this-world drunk. I've seen people black out, go to the hospital, destroy property etc. It's madness. There's no pacing or mixing...just drink as much as possible all weekend. I don't understand it. 

To be fair I've also spent time in the UK and Germany where people drink heavily. But they seem to have better control of themselves. 

There are also a lot of weird laws about the selling of liquor in America. Like can't buy alcohol after 7pm, some counties are dry, can't sell hard liquor in the supermarket blah blah. Where I'm from you can buy alcohol from any pharmacy, convenience store etc. 

IDK, America is weird y'all. 

Like in Lynchburg TN Where Jack Daniels is Made. You can't buy it there because it's in a dry county.

4 hours ago, lomo6 said:

You can actually BYOB on Amatrak as well! (I love Amtrak). And you should look up your local commuter line - many allow it. 

CalTrain in Silicon Valley definitely does. It made some of the long delays a lot more bearable. 

ETA: I was also walking distance from the station to home, so I never had to worry about driving after drinking. 

12 hours ago, goldengrove said:

Thank you for this information!  I don't know what you are talking about yet, but I am definitely going to find out.  I am hypo as well, a few months ago, my new primary care unexpectedly cut my meds down a notch, and everything promptly went haywire with me.  They finally admitted that maaaybe I tested a little low on the last TSH, but they refuse to put the dosage back where it was.  Meanwhile I have all the symptoms of low thyroid, getting worse all the time :kitty-shifty: so it they won't help, I've got to figure something out myself, or get a new caregiver.

RUN to a new provider, a functional med dr if you can find one. And make sure they do full thyroid panel, not just TSH! Medications should be adjusted by your symptoms, not just TSH!!!

5 hours ago, Jessalyn said:

If a wedding vendor/coordinator did something against my express wishes (especially adding something to my DRESS), I would be pissed. Like, really, really pissed.

And by "designed" I think she probably means that she ordered the dresses in the colors Jinger wanted and altered them for the bridesmaids (since they are all very different shapes and sizes).

6 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Does that policy affect bars and such? And after 9 PM on a saturday... That would totally ruin restaurants here. 

It may just be liquor stores. I know there are certain counties in Florida where you can't buy anything that's not in the grocery store (i.e. Beer and wine) on Sundays. Liquor stores are required to be closed. But it doesn't affect restaurants or bars

I think the laws of where beer, wine, or liquor can be sold vary by state. I currently live in a state where you can get beer at the grocery store, but used to live in a state where you had to buy all of the above at a liquor store only. How late alcohol can be served by an establishment with a liquor license varies by county here. In my county it's 2 am but the next county over is 4 am.

Here in Norway the drinking age is 18 for beer and wine, and 20 for harder spirits. You can get beer in the supermarkets, but only until 8 pm on weekdays and 6 pm on Saturdays. No alcohol on Sundays (but the stores are closed anyways) For wine and spirits you have to go to "Vinmonopolet" (the wine monopoly).

I've lived in Denmark and there you can buy alcohol everywhere, even at 7/11, and you only have to be 16 to drink beer.

8 hours ago, Jessalyn said:

Also her bragging about putting pearls on the dress against Jingers wishes annoys me a bit, what do you think?

Wasn't there some quote from Jinger about how the pearls were so special because they represent her favorite bible verse about the "pearl of great price" or something?

8 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

In WI you can't buy alcohol from a grocery store or gas station after 9pm. You can however go down to the local liquor store and purchase it here...not sure if they have a time cutoff. Bars and restaurants serve until 2am I believe. Doesn't do a lick of a good around here. When that list came out of drunkest cities in the US my home state of WI placed in 7 of the top 10 cities. The alcoholic culture of my state just really irks me. Just the other day there was an article in our newspaper of a man who was pulled over for his 11th DUI and had a totally valid driver's license. 

10 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

I was recently in North Carolina, where I was informed that there are no hard alcohol sales after 9pm Sat night til on Sunday after church is out.  Wow, NC, policing your citizens a bit..?!  Loosey-goosey citizens cannot be trusted to not be drunk/hungover and subtly pushing them to attend church?

Geeze, it was a weird vibe....

That might be a dry county specific law. Definitely not a state wide one.  All bars stop selling liquor after 2 am in Charlotte. However we can not buy bottles of hard liquor on Sundays (ABC stores are closed) and you can't buy or order any alcohol at grocery stores and restaurants until after noon on Sundays. 

With those laws about not selling alcohol after 2 a.m., how do discos work? I'm curious. Do they stop selling alcohol or close earlier? I'm sure it's different from here, where if you get home earlier than 2.30 a.m. you've only gone out for dinner :pb_lol:

9 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

With those laws about not selling alcohol after 2 a.m., how do discos work? I'm curious. Do they stop selling alcohol or close earlier? I'm sure it's different from here, where if you get home earlier than 2.30 a.m. you've only gone out for dinner :pb_lol:

Clubs and bars close at 2am. 

8 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

What?

While this doesn't include the Vegas Strip and perhaps a few very large cities, the vast majority of America goes to bed by 2:00 am. Oh and at least here in Iowa you cannot serve alcohol after 2:00 am so last call is usually 1:15 and your ass is out the door and the club doors locked by 1:55 am because the alcohol enforcement people are assholes. 

12 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

What?

Its true. In Pennsylvania, you can only buy beer at state beer stores, wine and liquor at separate state stores, and both close early. Several counties are totally dry, meaning restaurants have to compete for limited BYOB licenses. All the bars and clubs in Pittsburgh (which has a pretty active night scene) close by 2:30.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived