IGNORED

Tickling the Ivories - Jinger and Jeremy Vuolo

choralcrusader8613

Previous thread found here:

Jinger's finally been seen. She and Jeremy went to the theater, she's played the piano, and they celebrated Christmas. We also discussed religion in hospitals, and how much of that we're comfortable with.

Carry on!

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My comment is about what was said in the last thread.

I know others have said this, but I'm going to add my two cents. I asked nurse husband and he said the whole wait to have a baby after stopping birth control is old advice. Like other have said, bc is so different now that you don't have to do that. But, it was recommended years ago. Doctors will say to wait a cycle or two after stopping now just to make sure that you don't hyper-ovulate. One of my friends conceived her twins that way after stopping the pill. She didn't know that could happen. Oops.

When I first came off the pill to try for a baby (UK, 1997), I was under the impression (read it somewhere, possibly) that the only reason for delaying trying to conceive after stopping the pill was because you have no idea when you will start ovulating again which would make dating any possible pregnancy difficult until after you'd had a couple of periods and settled down again. I was too impatient for that and we started trying immediately. I was pregnant within a couple of months, had had no periods in between and had no idea how far along I was until I had a dating scan!

Re Jinger's piano playing: I watched it the other day and though I thought it sounded excellent, had not twigged it was O Holy Night at all!! Will have to listen again now.

I wonder if we won't see Jinger surface more until the new season starts or if that is all we will see of her? I kind of like that she is laying low.

2 hours ago, Adrienne83 said:

My comment is about what was said in the last thread.

I know others have said this, but I'm going to add my two cents. I asked nurse husband and he said the whole wait to have a baby after stopping birth control is old advice. Like other have said, bc is so different now that you don't have to do that. But, it was recommended years ago. Doctors will say to wait a cycle or two after stopping now just to make sure that you don't hyper-ovulate. One of my friends conceived her twins that way after stopping the pill. She didn't know that could happen. Oops.

Yup, we were all told to wait a couple of months after going off the pill because they worried your system might need a cycle or two to get itself perfectly organized again and it was thought it might not be ideal for the baby. 

This was 30 years ago, and clearly medical understanding of the matter has changed. JB and Michelle seem to have fallen off the deep end after hearing that the pill might have caused J'Caleb's death, but I'm tempted to give that Dr. a pass. I think it was typical of the time. 

When I had a D&C in a Catholic hospital at the age of 52,  I had to have a negative pregnancy test beforehand.  I knew I wasn't pregnant, but nope, they had to confirm that before I had a D&C.  

I've been asked if I was pregnant loads of times--by doctors, before medical procedures. I suspect one was done on the sly when I came in with abdominal pain which turned out to be appendicitis. (It's not like I refused a pregnancy test, they just took some vials of blood and I kind of assumed that in addition  to whatever other blood work was done, that was one of the tests.)

The last I heard, that was still the prevailing wisdom. Not sure why the three weeks of pills before an embryo transfer are okay- maybe because the embryo has already formed?

From the last thread - oral contraceptives before an embryo transfer or IVF are to kind of shut a woman's reproductive system down, suppressing ovulation. It then gets started back up at the right time for the cycle/transfer. Oestrogen is often supplemented then to help boost the endometrium, but that's common in IVF anyway.  If you were going through a normal ovulation cycle it wouldn't be necessary most of the time.

There's mixed evidence on the endometrium being unable to support a pregnancy for the first couple of months after stopping the pill. It does seem to be a little thinner if you've been on the pill for a few years, but the evidence that it translates to lower pregnancies or more miscarriages isn't really there. There's some evidence showing you're more likely to get pregnant in the first couple of months too and the 1 month and 12 month pregnancy rate has been shown to be similar or the same as women who haven't been on the pill. It isn't recommended here to advise women to wait for a month or three, but the few doctors who I know who still do advise it do so because it's easier to date the pregnancy then. Considering how many women have a dating scan here that seems really unnecessary to me. I haven't seen recent evidence on it increasing the risk of twins, but there was a lot in the 80s-90s. It sided slightly on the side of it increasing the risk. Anecdotally though I've seen several sets of twins conceived then. There's a thought that anything which alters ovarian function makes you more likely to hyperovulate - extremes of age, breastfeeding, coming off the pil etc.

And yeah, all the hospitals I've worked at (as a Dr) want a negative pregnancy test before many procedures.  The number of "not pregnant, can't possibly be pregnant" women who are is astounding. And you wouldn't have been far off the eldest's age Penny! I know it seems insulting as a patient, I've been in emergency where they wanted a pregnancy test where I knew I wasn't pregnant (as in found another religion if I am, because it'd have been that miraculous) but I do understand why.

I first heard of the Duggars when a patient started talking about the pill causing miscarriages and sited them as proof. Blew my mind. It seems funny how often I end up talking pregnancy or work here given that!

28 minutes ago, Trynn said:

I've been asked if I was pregnant loads of times--by doctors, before medical procedures. I suspect one was done on the sly when I came in with abdominal pain which turned out to be appendicitis. (It's not like I refused a pregnancy test, they just took some vials of blood and I kind of assumed that in addition  to whatever other blood work was done, that was one of the tests.)

SOP that they will do a pregnancy test on all women of child bearing years if you still have the innards to have one with. It is in their best interest to be 100% sure.  I can say no until I'm blue in the face and know it is true but people will tell a doctor they fell on that cucumber up their ass, we all know they didn't. 

Late to the party here, and this may all be old news but: 

1.  the Twelve Days of Christmas was the Carol Sing-a-long at Longwood Gardens.   That is just the speed the amazingly talented organist plays that one (probably to fit in more songs in his alloted 30 minutes)

2.  The theater is almost certainly Sight and Sound in Lancaster ( http://blog.cmworks.com/recent-sight-and-sound-theatre-installation-incorporates-the-latest-of-american-technology/   ) - it is definitely not the interior of the Academy of Music or the Kimmel Center in Philly.  

My DIL went to the doctor for heartburn and they ordered some xrays. They did a pregnancy test, just to be sure, before the xrays, and lo and behold.....she was pregnant. She had not even missed a period at that point.

As a nurse in the ER, we always did pregnancy tests on females of child bearing years (which is quite a broad span). I once had a woman tell me she couldn't be pregnant as she had had a tubal. Guess what? She was pregnant. Oooops!

48 minutes ago, Trynn said:

IIRC from my dad's EMT study guide I like to read sometimes, pregnancy/ectopic pregnancy is always suspected if a woman of childbearing age presents with abdominal pain, especially lower abdominal pain. I think it's mainly because the worst-case scenario is a ruptured ectopic pregnancy (though whether it's appendicitis or an ectopic pregnancy, stuff inside of you is exploding when it shouldn't).

My friend's son went in for a routine procedure and was asked if he was pregnant now or had ever been pregnant?????

I kid you not, I once had a patient in the nicu with a positive tox screen,and her mother claimed that she was walking down the street and a man ran by and injected her in the hip with a needle. 

Just to add to the pregnant in the ER stories - it happened to me!  We were TTCAL for five months, and I was going to test on a Monday.  My brother got sick with a virus (vomiting and diarrhea) on the weekend, and passed it along to me (thanks bro).  Because I was throwing up so much, I went to the ER.  They tested me, but didn't mention they were beforehand, and the doctor comes in and asked if I knew I was pregnant.  DH and I were like, "Whattt??", because I shouldn't have even been four weeks at that point.  Turns out I ovulated later, and was closer to five weeks already.  I got some fluids, recovered the next day, and started vomiting all over again a week later, till I was like seven months along :P

As for the previous thread: special shout out to all those who answered my question about how to hopefully encourage outside of Bible quoting ;)  I literally have a few screenshots to reference for next time.  At the end of the day, it sucks being in a hospital, and that last thing I'd ever want to do is make someone anymore uncomfortable than they have to be.  Thanks everyone for lending me your perspectives <3

@seasonsoflife

I was born a preemie and when they thought I wouldn't make it, one of the nurses that was taking care of me brought holly water and "baptized" me. My dad was a little upset, my mom though it was sweet (we are not Christians).

. . . I'm sure I'm about to open up a can of worms here, but I'd be livid if someone else chose to baptize my child for me.  In the UU church, both my kids got a "name dedication", where the adults in their lives stand before people and declare the name, and the intent to raise them with love, respect, and acceptance, etc..  It's got a baptism feel, but it's more a recognition of that person being part of the congregation versus "saving the soul".  Though then again, I prefer baptism of older children (or even better, adults), versus babies to begin with (this is coming from a baptized in the Catholic church-gal). 

ANDDDD just to add ONE more story - three weeks ago, I had outpatient surgery, and was getting general anesthesia for the first time ever.  So definitely anxious.  My husband prayed with me before he had to leave for work.  So though understandably some of the medical team were aware I was religious, I was aware that some of the workers were of different faiths (just casual conversation while waiting on the doctor).  So as I was being wheeled back, I thought about a prayer, but felt good with my own and my husband's, and instead looked at everyone and said, "I just want to make sure - is everyone having a good day, feeling good?  Steady hands??"  We laughed a little, and then next thing I know, I'm out and wake up three hours later *.* (so yay for positive surgery experiences!)

1 hour ago, Chickenbutt said:

My DIL went to the doctor for heartburn and they ordered some xrays. They did a pregnancy test, just to be sure, before the xrays, and lo and behold.....she was pregnant. She had not even missed a period at that point.

As a nurse in the ER, we always did pregnancy tests on females of child bearing years (which is quite a broad span). I once had a woman tell me she couldn't be pregnant as she had had a tubal. Guess what? She was pregnant. Oooops!

This summer, when I got to have them go in after a kidney stone (do not recommend--the stones or the surgery), the urologist asked if I was pregnant.  The answer of "well, you did my husband's vasectomy a year ago, so I sure hope not!" was well received. (and no, not pregnant. )

(although got the response of "did he do all of his follow ups?"  Apparently it's common to go through the indignity of having surgery, but resist the indignity of jacking into a cup to make sure it worked)

5 minutes ago, dawbs said:

This summer, when I got to have them go in after a kidney stone (do not recommend--the stones or the surgery), the urologist asked if I was pregnant.  The answer of "well, you did my husband's vasectomy a year ago, so I sure hope not!" was well received. (and no, not pregnant. )

(although got the response of "did he do all of his follow ups?"  Apparently it's common to go through the indignity of having surgery, but resist the indignity of jacking into a cup to make sure it worked)

Tell me about it . . . my husband got a vasectomy in July, and still has not done the follow up.  We've had no sex since end of November, because my periods lately have been all over the place (endometriosis and two ovarian cysts to boot), so I ain't taking the risk of random ovulation dates - I do a little NFP, but my temps are a bit too wonky to give me a clear, consistent ovulation date (so - TMI - cervical fluid checks ftw).

He says he should get them to send the cup to our house, and he'll drop it off before work, but hasn't done it yet. I'm thinking I'll have to just go get that cup myself - or like I've joked on here before, invest in a microscope for my own personal monthly inspections.

Though that surgery I mentioned above?  They tested me for pregnancy - jokes on them, I got my period 20 minutes before I got wheeled back (thanks body).  Anyways, the nurse who was riggin me up, said she had a friend who had two children.  She got a tubal done, and got pregnant four years later anyway . . . so her husband got a vasectomy (did the follow up!), and they got pregnant with another son seven years after that @-@ 

July of 2009 I had a ruptured overian cyst. It was the worst pain ever. When I got to the ER they asked me if I was pregnant and even though I was in pain I said "if I was I would be the Jewish Virgin Mary". 

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

Mary was Jewish, or did I miss something?

No I'm Jewish. Wasn't Jesus conceived without relations or have I been wrong all these years. 

2 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

Did it...not take? Or something? I know vasectomies can fail, but can this happen?...

I love the "when was your last period" question...I tell them sometime in 1991. They tend to look at me sort of funny at that point. 

I had a miscarriage where I was bleeding like a stuck pig...they offered either trying to fix it or a hysterectomy. I chose the hysterectomy. The X was having a vasectomy done and I already knew that bringing another kid into the abusive clusterfuck I was living in was NOT a great idea. 

2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I can say no until I'm blue in the face and know it is true but people will tell a doctor they fell on that cucumber up their ass, we all know they didn't. 

Oh, humans are the most interesting creatures out there: http://adequateman.deadspin.com/what-did-we-get-stuck-in-our-rectums-last-year-1790335507

22 minutes ago, Stormy said:

Did it...not take? Or something? I know vasectomies can fail, but can this happen?...

I've heard of this happening, anecdotally.  I've always assumed that there were unnoticed issues during the procedure, or that the human body's ability to heal and renew itself is at times underestimated by science.  I mean, not every vasectomy takes, so maybe not every tubal takes, and a tubal isn't a hysterectomy.  The equipment is still there, as with a vasectomy. 

FTR, I am not any kind of Degreed Medical Professional, just someone who loves reading and gossiping and learning and hearing stories in general. For every rule, there is an exception, no?

A friend had a vasectomy. At his post procedure sample check they found lots of sperm. Long story short, instead of two vas he had THREE, so after the vasectomy one was still in there pumping out the little swimmers!  

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived