IGNORED

Teen kidnapped and tortured streamed on FB live.

Grimalkin

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Persons-of-Interest-Questioned-After-Man-Beaten-in-Facebook-Live-as-Attackers-Shout-F----Donald-Trump-409709875.html%3Famp%3Dy?client=safari

I am sick about this and speechless. 

Chicago police are questioning persons of interest after a Facebook Live video surfaced showing a group of people beating and cutting a teen who appeared bound and gagged as they shouted “F--- Donald Trump.”

In the footage, some in the group can be heard saying "F--- Donald Trump" and "F--- white people."

The victim is an 18-year-old man from northwest suburban Crystal Lake who had been reported missing and is mentally handicapped, police said. According to authorities, the teen was "extremely traumatized" but has been released from the hospital.

This is beyond sickening. That the victim was obviously extra vulnerable just adds an additional layer of ugliness. The suspects texting and taunting the parents throughout their child's torture? Absolutely grotesque. 

I find it heartbreaking that he knew one of the suspects, trusted him and went with him willingly. I hope he can get whatever help he needs to get past this trauma. 

I hope the perpetrators are held fully accountable. 

They arrested the four suspects involved. These stories make me sick, but I'm glad they found the people who did it and they are being held responsible. I tried to watch some of the video and couldn't stomach it. I hope the man they attacked will be ok, it sounds like he was pretty traumatized when they found him :( 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-trump-cursed-man-attacked-facebook-video-20170104-story.html

So, I'm obviously really angry about the fact that this happened, and hope the victim is safe/heals. 

But I'm also really angry at the fact that people, specifically conservatives/Trump supporters, are trying to spin what was obviously an ableist hate crime as "racism against white people."

Then again, I think expecting these people to be angry at ableism is too much to hope for since they effectively endorsed ableism when they voted for a man who mocked a reporter for having arthrogryposis, mocked another critic of his for being parapleglic, repeatedly called a deaf woman r****ded, is anti-vax, just to name a few. I mean they either didn't see a problem with it or decided it wasn't bad enough to render him unfit. 

Racist, ableist, people are disgusting. 

It was  very a racist crime as well.  A group of thugs  of one race Targeted a  Particular vulnerable individual  of a different race and taunted, tortured  him  while mentioning said race. 

I live in Chicago and I avoided reading about this as long as I could because of how upsetting the details are, but then I found out yesterday that my boyfriend had actually taught one of the torturers for a semester, and now I can't stop reading trying to wrap my head around how they could do something like this. 

My boyfriend feels extremely guilty, even though he only taught the person that one semester. I'm lost on how to comfort him, other than tell him it's not his fault, because it's all so bizarre. 

Living here with him as a teacher for troubled teens, I always worried that one of the grim news articles we see every day would be about one of his students, but I never thought it would be something like this. 

Sorry, I don't really know what I expect anyone to say, and I hope it's not TMI (I don't want to say which one he taught or where) I'm just feeling really weird about this and about humans all together. Reading about what they did to this poor boy, it is absolutely unthinkable that one of those cruel people was taught by my bf. What the hell, Chicago? Just when I think you couldn't get more depressing this goes and happens. I don't even know what to think right now. 

3 hours ago, IreneIssh said:

My boyfriend feels extremely guilty, even though he only taught the person that one semester. I'm lost on how to comfort him, other than tell him it's not his fault, because it's all so bizarre. 

This is something that I can relate to as a person who works in adolescent mental health. Unfortunately some of the kids I've worked with have also gone on to make pretty serious (sometimes criminal) bad choices, and it can be really hard not to blame oneself.

The thing I think we have to remember is that our role is to provide tools. We can't control the other person's behavior. All you can do is show the person the right path; when they choose not to take it, that isn't our responsibility.

I'm sincerely sorry your boyfriend is in this situation. :( He provided the tools, though, and that's all an educator can do. He did the right thing to the best of his ability, and the young person is responsible for his or her own decision not to follow the guidance that was offered. You can't own someone else's poor choice.

Archived