IGNORED

Messages from the Box: examples of Christian homeschooling texts

older than allosaurs

ACE is separate from Gothard/ATI(who publish the Wisdom Books), but ISTR reading in the first Duggar book that Michelle uses ACE for a couple of elementary grades.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had sadly misinformed parents who sent me to a local xtian school from preschool until I "graduated" in 12th grade.  This place used the ACE curriculum and I had no idea how pathetic and poor my education had been until I went to college and had to take a number of remedial classes, mostly in math and sciences.

I could write a 3 hour speech on how awful this place was beyond the poor curriculum, but I will spare you all.  I will say a few quick things.  This church school is the reason why I didn't let my son anywhere near a church while he was growing up, and is also the reason I have proudly raised an agnostic child.  This place also still exists and if it ever caught on fire, I'd drive over and dance on the lawn in front of the flames.

@older than allosaurs,  there's something in Chapter 1, verse 7 of Genesis that says this. I once worked with a fundie who insisted that space travel was a hoax because "there's nothing but water up there."

A lot of odd books get donated to the Friends of the Library groups, too.  I've got a little stash that I've brought home for snarking purposes (if they look too interesting to chuck in the recycling, basically).  If anyone would like to give them a home, they could probably use one.  I need to make room.

I found a doozy about creating a good curriculum, from Vision Forum, I think.  Some Ken Ham, Dougie Phillips' Birkenhead Drill (a treasury of flowery prose), a few magazines.  And I have seen a couple of religious math books, but I still can't figure out how you can shove religion into 2+2=4. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know anything about Rebecca Avery who wrote the Weaver Curriculum? I never saw the curriculum or knew anyone who used it, but had a run in with one of her kids many years ago. Were they fundie?

Archived