IGNORED

Houses - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

ClaraOswin

8 hours ago, adidas said:

https://www.domain.com.au/24-lang-road-centennial-park-nsw-2021-2013187548

i used to walk past this house and dream ....

i like the huge kitchen window that doubles as a bar on the patio.  and i like the striped wallpaper in the bedrooms.  wacky opinion here--i like wallpaper.  yes, there are ugly patterns, just like there are ugly paint colors, but in general, i like it.  i don't have any in my house, because it's beyond my budget and i would never attempt to hang it myself for lack of skill.  but i do think a lot of papers are very pretty.

• Upvote 3

On 1/4/2017 at 1:01 AM, Diggingupdirt said:

But I can't wait to paint my house into a giant easter egg again.

If you get a chance to watch it, there is a great scene about paint colors in an old movie called "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" (1948).   I like colors myself, and wish I was better about choosing them for my home. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, CTRLZero said:

If you get a chance to watch it, there is a great scene about paint colors in an old movie called "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" (1948).   I like colors myself, and wish I was better about choosing them for my home. 

i *love* that movie!  it was on TCM last week, and i caught the second half.  

choosing colors is all about what you like.  my sister has a different color in every room, from brights to pastels.  her kitchen is orange, dining room lavender, living room terra cotta, stairhall cobalt blue, bathroom moss green, sons' rooms red/yellow and lime green, and master bedroom teal.  and everything looks good.

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

It's been a long time since I thought about Apartment Therapy. I remember the comments could be a little... unhinged. It was rare when they actually liked other people's tours and they had some very specific hates, like bikes indoors (even if it's an apartment and there's no where else to do, I guess people are supposed to give up their transportation and/or hobbies because random people on the internet don't like how they decorated their apartment?) or painted wood. (Why didn't they just sand and restore the coffee table instead of painting it! They ruined it!) and sexism "there is no trace of the woman in the relationship in this apartment. it's all so hard!" 

Anyway, I should go back to AT. I miss it. 

I occasionally read the comments there and while it seems like they're getting better overall in terms of attitude, people can still be bratty about things. On the bright side, AT has made an effort to include tours of homes that deviate from the usual on-trend places, so there's more variety.

• Upvote 2

@CTRLZero and @catlady,  I'd thought about seeing if I could find that snippet where Myrna Loy is talking about paint colors with the contractor a few days ago, but I forgot.   Here it is:

The whole movie is wonderful and well worth watching.  I caught last Friday a part of TCM's salute to Star of the Month, Myrna Loy.

• Upvote 3

Man, this thread is disorienting. I live in NYC, and I don't know if I'll even be able to get a second bathroom in my future apartment (dream big, right?) if I want to spend under a million dollars. Our current apartment is 1 bedroom/1 bath, maybe 400-500 square feet, and my half of the rent is 30% of my take home salary. In general, buying is out of our grasp unless one or both of us is able to use an inheritance as part of a down payment (hopefully) years down the road. 

My dream list in order of priority:
-second bathroom
-more counterspace in the kitchen
-second bedroom
-not ugly
-doorman so we can actually get packages delivered
-laundry in the apartment, or at least the building
-balcony, or at least good light in the living room
-dishwasher

I love everything else about living in NYC, and I do really like my neighborhood. Living in a smaller space just takes some getting used to.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

That window seat in the bay was one of my favorites, too @LadyCrow1313!  It's really a beautiful house.  

Speaking of movie houses, I like the spectacular modern house atop Mount Rushmore and the dad's house in the original Parent Trap.  I've heard that the Walt Disney company still gets requests for the house plans.  The house was not ever real so no plans exist.  I also like the aunt's house in Pollyanna.

House atop Mt. Rushmore in what movie? Sorry if I missed that.

• Upvote 1

@ClaraOswin, you made me realize I didn't say which movie it was.  It was North by Northwest which stars Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint.  That house is really iconic. 

• Upvote 3

How about the house in A Summer Place? Hubs and I keep meaning to go track it down on our semi-annual trips to Monterey, but usually get sidetracked....

• Upvote 1

North by Northwest is one of Hitchcock's great films.  It's got a number of classic scenes in it: Cary getting chased by a crop duster, Cary at the UN, the scenes on Mount Rushmore and the scene at the end:

Spoiler

Cary and Eva have gotten married and are going to bed when the train they're on goes into a tunnel.

It's going to be shown on the big screen this year as a TCM/Fathom event.  Can't recall the exact date though.

@DaniLouisiana, I assume you mean the modern beach house that Frank Lloyd Wright designed?  That was gorgeous! 

• Upvote 1

Here I come, a party pooper.  

The house in NBNW isn't real, so sorry!  I was disappointed, too.  I don't think the cafe in the movie is real, either....

Google "VanDamm house real" and read.  Sad/angry face.  I had one when I found out.  

:annoyed:

One of my favorite movies!  This one, and Rear Window.

• Upvote 3

I have never seen North by Northwest. I'll have to check it out sometime. Maybe it's on Netflix or something.

• Upvote 3

@ClaraOswin it is a great movie!  Then again, I LOVE old movies.  I am the only one I know who does.  See it, you won't regret losing 90 mins for it.

• Upvote 4

Love the house talk...but I must be in the minority...I don't ever want to buy another house....EVER. We bought our "dream home" in VA and had to sell it 7 years later when we moved to Arizona (it was move and sell or go through foreclosure). 

We currently live in a so-so 1br apartment...it's a gated community and not bad...however, THIS is my dream apartment  http://www.joshuahillscondos.com/floorplans.aspx (look for the "moon" floor plan). It has 10ft ceilings, and the patio is HUGE! Maybe once we get more settled financially again...ya know? 

• Upvote 2

@ClaraOswin,  if you have cable or satellite and get TCM, then North By Northwest should be available on the Watch TCM app for a week or so.  You'll need to have your cable/sat account info handy, but that is one way to watch it.  I think TCM showed North By Northwest last Saturday afternoon and they showed Hitchcock films all New Year's Day including Rear Window.  It may be available on Netflix (let's hope!) and it might even be available at the library on DVD.

@MarblesMom,  I've raised a couple of old movie lovers.  I'm taking one of my granddaughters to see Singing in the Rain on the 15th.  She is 6 and 1/2 and fell in love with the movie shortly after her arrival from China.  Her mom, my daughter, might come as well.  She often goes with me as does my middle daughter to screenings of classic films.  Btw, I did realize that the house in NBNW was not real.  It would spectacular if it were though if it were real!

Interesting fact about Rear Window  and The Birds:  Neither of these films have conventional scores.  They do have some incidental music, but most of the "score" is other noise, the people in nearby apartments in RW and the birds in TBs.

• Upvote 2

@MarblesMom, I would watch old movies with you. I love them-I was disappointed when From Here to Eternity wasn't on for Pearl Harbor day!

@PennySycamore, I'm not a great photograher but here are the best of the houses:

20170105_135203.jpg

20170105_134722.jpg

20170105_100512.jpg

• Upvote 4

@CTRLZero I have never seen that movie I will have to check it out. I love old movies. I wish I didn't work so much so I could sit a watch a movie. Between work, sick husband, and trying to unpack, I feel like there isn't enough hours in a day. But now that the holidays are over I can start to do the things I enjoy like relaxing on the couch and watch TCM!

• Upvote 3

Thanks for creating this fun thread, @ClaraOswin !

When our kids left home we sold our small-ish suburban house and moved into an even smaller 3-story townhouse in town (mid-sized city).

Our real estate agent was concerned that in our 50s/60s we were buying a house with so many stairs, but we figured that running up and down stairs would help keep us fit and I think it has. Our home is also within walking distance of transit, shops, restos, galleries, recreation centre, small beach and woods!  

With lots of stairs and no yard it wouldn't really work with little kids, but it's been terrific for us at this stage in our lives.  We do miss having a bigger yard in the summer, but we love the modern, open concept vibe which makes the interior spaces seem bigger and we have started throwing dinner parties for fun. 

Anyway, I have been admiring all the big beautiful homes in this thread, but just wanted to add a vote for small urban homes as well.

Edited by Tiny Bubbles
  • Upvote 3

I live in the middle of nowheresville, Idaho. The husband and I moved to this area about two years ago for his job. I love it, mostly because it's so weird. So, we've been looking at houses. They are stupid cheap here. Stupid cheap. This is the one we really like:http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Burley-ID/104627141_zpid/55587_rid/pricea_sort/42.726839,-113.151627,42.033994,-114.379349_rect/9_zm/2_p/

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, NerdyHil said:

I live in the middle of nowheresville, Idaho. The husband and I moved to this area about two years ago for his job. I love it, mostly because it's so weird. So, we've been looking at houses. They are stupid cheap here. Stupid cheap. This is the one we really like:http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Burley-ID/104627141_zpid/55587_rid/pricea_sort/42.726839,-113.151627,42.033994,-114.379349_rect/9_zm/2_p/

I love the fact that this is a kit house!  I've always been fascinated by mail order houses. 

• Upvote 2

I'm kind of torturing myself by reading through this thread since I just lost out on the condo I really wanted, but you can add me to the list of people who love looking at houses and floor plans.

I would love to have a custom-built home, but land where I live costs almost as much as I can afford right now.

My favorite house styles are probably Victorian - Queen Anne and Italianate, or Beaux Arts. I also like Tudor and Craftsman. I love cute little details and built-ins. The condo I wanted had this beautiful fireplace with built-in shelves on the side. It was like a Craftsman-style condo.....and now I'm sad again.

• Upvote 4

I've lived in SD before. No thanks. :)

Such a weird house. It seems so out of place in that neighborhood.

• Upvote 2