IGNORED

Scottie Brown asking for money!

WonderingInWA

Slogging thru lots and lots of words over at The Warthurg Watch, I came upon this reminder of one of the reasons why Scott's Father Idolizing Church bothersvthe stuffins out of me:

"...the nouthetic counseling types when it comes to the “sufficiency of Scripture” for everything. ..."

Nouthetic counseling is a bit like Scientology auditing, forcing the inquirer to figure out what she (it's so often a she) did to get to the problematic state she's in. Nouthetics uses The Bible to identify her [sic] culpability. 

Another reason to disdain Sufficiency If Scripture doctrine.  The Bible (old and new testaments) tells the history of the world leading to the redemption by Jesus and foretells His coming again. Not a psychology book!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to speak for C&D, but I think what he might be trying to get across is that there is this weird anti-adoption "thing" for many in Dominionism. Stacy McDonald is the worst offender. She hates the fact that she was adopted away from a prominent, wealthy biological family (the DeBakeys) and once even called adoption "not God's best" because it "began with sin." (This despite the fact that she adopted James' older kids!) 

I have never once seen Scott or Debra Brown even admit that they adopted those kids. Why? Yes, it's great to treat them exactly as you would bio-children, but what's with the secrecy? Acting as though you're ashamed about the bad, slutty birth mothers (but not fathers) who gave you your children is unhealthy, especially for one's adoptive daughters. 

8 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

I have never once seen Scott or Debra Brown even admit that they adopted those kids. Why? Yes, it's great to treat them exactly as you would bio-children, but what's with the secrecy? Acting as though you're ashamed about the bad, slutty birth mothers (but not fathers) who gave you your children is unhealthy, especially for one's adoptive daughters. 

I think there once was a blog post or something similiar where Scott stated that his children are adopted.

One reason for keeping it a secret could be that being infertile/not having any children can be seen as some sort of punishment from god. Since childre are a blessing and a reward, being childless makes you look unworthy for god's blessings. For a guy like Scott Brown who feels holier and wiser than the majority of christianity this could be pretty harsh and would affect his whole argumentation. Not that fundies really care, but it could be.

From the old Yuku board (http://freejinger.yuku.com/topic/2063/I-always-suspected-the-Brown-kids-were-adopted#.WG4HEoX1j9I)

Now its been confirmed. From a posting on Doug Phillip's website about featured speakers at the upcoming "Baby Conference".
Scott & Deborah Brown are the proud parents of four adopted children. Scott is board member of Vision Forum Ministries, the director of the National Center for Family Integrated Churches, and the pastor of Hope Baptist Church in Wake Forest, NC.

1 hour ago, ophelia said:

I think there once was a blog post or something similiar where Scott stated that his children are adopted.

One reason for keeping it a secret could be that being infertile/not having any children can be seen as some sort of punishment from god. Since childre are a blessing and a reward, being childless makes you look unworthy for god's blessings. For a guy like Scott Brown who feels holier and wiser than the majority of christianity this could be pretty harsh and would affect his whole argumentation. Not that fundies really care, but it could be.

From the old Yuku board (http://freejinger.yuku.com/topic/2063/I-always-suspected-the-Brown-kids-were-adopted#.WG4HEoX1j9I)

Now its been confirmed. From a posting on Doug Phillip's website about featured speakers at the upcoming "Baby Conference".
Scott & Deborah Brown are the proud parents of four adopted children. Scott is board member of Vision Forum Ministries, the director of the National Center for Family Integrated Churches, and the pastor of Hope Baptist Church in Wake Forest, NC.

I really don't think they tried to keep it secret, it's just sometimes an odd thing to announce. My parents didn't go around introducing their children as either biological or adopted, you know what I mean? ;-)

The Browns adopted because Deborah went through early menopause in her 20s. (I don't remember when it was, but another time this topic came up I know that I pm'ed someone with this info bc I didn't feel comfortable announcing it here. Since I now know she is even more open about it at conferences and such than I thought, I don't think it's inappropriate to put the facts out here. But I won't participate in lengthy discussion about it.)

4 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

I really don't think they tried to keep it secret, it's just sometimes an odd thing to announce. My parents didn't go around introducing their children as either biological or adopted, you know what I mean? ;-)

Neither did mine (I was adopted, too). I'm just pointing out that unlike mainstream fundies, who push adoption hard at every opportunity because of their pro-life views, many Dominionists, who are just as pro-life, seem to either shy away from telling their personal stories or avoid the subject altogether. Of course there are exceptions, like Spanky. 

I do think ophelia is on the right track in saying that many have internalized shame about their infertility problems in a subculture where biological children are considered proof of God's approval and blessing. And when they do discuss their fertility problems, they always make sure to shout it from the rafters that it's the wife's "fault." It's simply unthinkable for a Dominionist male to have a low sperm count. 

8 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

The Browns adopted because Deborah went through early menopause in her 20s. 

Wow, I had never heard this before!  So, indeed, there must have been a lot of heartache for her when she realized she would have no biological children.  I would love to know how Blair and David, who I'm pretty certain are biological siblings, came to them.

Oh please someone tell me more about this

"Stacy McDonald is the worst offender. She hates the fact that she was adopted away from a prominent, wealthy biological family (the DeBakeys)"

2 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

"Stacy McDonald is the worst offender. She hates the fact that she was adopted away from a prominent, wealthy biological family (the DeBakeys)"

Would that be some part of the family of  Dr. Michael DeBakey of heart surgery fame?

3 hours ago, Howl said:

Would that be some part of the family of  Dr. Michael DeBakey of heart surgery fame?

Yes, I believe her bio father was Dr. Michael's son. 

Yes, Stacy is the bio-granddaughter of Dr. Michael DeBakey (her bio-dad is dead). She and James even went to his funeral after reconnecting with the family. I've often wondered if they were in DeBakey's will, because they've seemed pretty financially care-free since his death, but of course I don't know. 

18 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Way to insult and dismiss the couple who went to the expense and emotional devotion of 18 years raising your sorry ass, Stacy!!!

She can not have been an easy child. They got her surgical therapy for her severe scoliosis, AFAIK stood by her when she made an unwise marriage and then was supporting herself and her child by managing apartments* and then married a slimeball with 4 of his own -- and she repays them by crabbing about wishing she'd been raised as the bastard in a rich family. 

Woman's got a real sense of entitlement or something. 

And JMHO but I'll wager their recent prosperity is mostly the result of her MLM expertise. 

~~~~~

*Please let it be known that I have nothing against a young woman who supports herself by managing apartments and who was deceived by a rotten husband and who did the best she could by her child with or without education. I have a great deal of admiration. I criticize Stacy alone, guessing that her folks worried for her and the child since apartment management is a fairly hazardous business. She just represents all that is wrong with patriarchialism and the dominionist agenda. 

3 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

How did she end up being adopted rather than being raised by the DeBakeys?  

Her bio-father was DeBakey's son, but other than that, I don't know what happened. I don't want to accuse him of shirking responsibility, because for all I know, this was the woman's choice alone. Stacy never said. 

Archived