IGNORED

Jana's Future 3 - Baking and Real Estate

DaisyD

9 hours ago, jqlgoblue said:

I will never be able to buy here on my own and even if I get married I have no idea how you buy a house and save for retirement here, let alone pay for kids, their school, and save for college educations.

I have a 30 something kid in SF, and he will never be able to attain any of those goals there.  And he knows it.

At one point, he was living in the dining room of a house with 8 other roomies.  He didn't even have a door for privacy.  He did have an awesome chandelier, however.

His brother had a "2 bedroom" (ie a studio with a closet) and he rented out the closet as a room.

Yikes.... $$$ in SF.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sydney has crazy property prices as well. We bought a modest home (2 bedroom weatherboard)  25 years ago in a nice suburb (about an hour out of the city) for $225k. The same home now would go for over $1.5m, but wages certainly haven't gone up that much.  Not sure how our kids will be able to afford to buy anything unless we help them.  Even units have gone up in price enormously, and with the population of Sydney growing rapidly it's not going to stop.

55 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

I have a 30 something kid in SF, and he will never be able to attain any of those goals there.  And he knows it.

At one point, he was living in the dining room of a house with 8 other roomies.  He didn't even have a door for privacy.  He did have an awesome chandelier, however.

His brother had a "2 bedroom" (ie a studio with a closet) and he rented out the closet as a room.

Yikes.... $$$ in SF.

I wonder how common that is. A friend of mine lived with some people and her room was the dining room too.

My eldest niece was living in a share house in Melbourne.  She went to the kitchen one morning and saw that the landlord had put a sheet across the dining end of the kitchen and installed a tenant in it overnight.  No chandelier, but when she turned on the kitchen light the dining/bedroom light went on as well.  The new tenant moved out within a couple of weeks.  Thankfully niece and her bf have rented their own place now, but they will never be able to save for a deposit while renting.

If I started a thread for houses...would anyone post in it? I thought people could post dream houses, ridiculous houses, crappy houses, anything really. If I start one...what section of the forum...hobbies?

My husband and I live in a 1 bedroom plus den in Vancouver,BC. If we want to buy a condo that's half the size of our apartment we can do that for 850,000 or a detached home for $4,000,000, so needless to say is rather put my money into a nice retirement home. My kids will grow up in an apartment like every other non-billionaire family here. My family doesn't get why we won't be moving back because to us it's not important to own a home. 

2 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

If I started a thread for houses...would anyone post in it? I thought people could post dream houses, ridiculous houses, crappy houses, anything really. If I start one...what section of the forum...hobbies?

Yes please!

I'll get a house thread started later today. I need to find my "dream" home to post. Hopefully my son will nap or at least not be awful later today...ha!

9 hours ago, Justmurrayed said:

My husband and I live in a 1 bedroom plus den in Vancouver,BC. If we want to buy a condo that's half the size of our apartment we can do that for 850,000 or a detached home for $4,000,000, so needless to say is rather put my money into a nice retirement home. My kids will grow up in an apartment like every other non-billionaire family here. My family doesn't get why we won't be moving back because to us it's not important to own a home. 

I was watching Love It or List It Vancouver yesterday, and thinking "man, those houses are expensive!".  Vancouver is one of my favourite cities in the world but I could never afford to live there.  I'm single and live in Toronto and have resigned myself to the idea that I will never be able to buy my own place.

@weirdemmaline,  you probably don't have Palmetto bugs though.  They're nasty huge cockroaches and they're evil.  They're also endemic to Charleston and Florida.   My physical therapist told me about how they'd be congregated on the steps of her dorm at MUSC in Chucktown.  Yecch!

I remember when my mom first moved down to Florida I saw a cockroach and freaked out. Then it flew. Palmetto bugs haunt my nightmares. Flying cockroaches are not okay!

3 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

I was watching Love It or List It Vancouver yesterday, and thinking "man, those houses are expensive!".  Vancouver is one of my favourite cities in the world but I could never afford to live there.  I'm single and live in Toronto and have resigned myself to the idea that I will never be able to buy my own place.

We lived in Toronto from 2010 to June 2016 and at least in Toronto you can find a few places that are reasonable although most of the reasonably priced places need a lot of work. My sister bought a detached home in Toronto 3 years ago for 550,000 and had to put 100,000 in renovations to make it liveable. 

A nearby house here in Vancouver just sold for 4.3 million. I can't even fathom that kind of  money so I'm REALLY looking forward to my nice retirement home...lol 

So I started a house thread in the hobbies section if anyone is interested. I couldn't come up with a creative title though. 

19 hours ago, Justmurrayed said:

When I visited Vancouver last year I couldn't get over the sky-high housing prices there... it's crazy! What a lovely area, though!

On 12/29/2016 at 4:48 AM, weirdemmaline said:

I live just north of the twin cities in mn and most houses seem to range between $75k and $200k, depending on whether or not you're by the river or a lake. Apartments are waaaay a different story though. A one-bedroom will run you about $800-$900/month and I've seen two-bedroom apts going for $1200/month

But really the further north you go the cheaper it gets.

$75K is lucky to get you a 10% deposit in sydney at the moment... sobs...:tw_dissapointed_relieved:

On 12/28/2016 at 9:04 PM, ClaraOswin said:

Which part of the middle of nowhere are you moving to, if you don't mind me asking?

I worked in NYC a little bit and the only affordable place in NJ commutable I could find was Newark.

I'm from CO though. Grew up in the mountains near a ski resort which is crazy expensive. In Denver now for school which I advise everyone to stop moving too. Places 5+ years ago that were $500 for a 1 bedroom arebover a grand. Its almost as expensive as when I lived in Perth Western Australia back in 2011 at the peak of the mining boom where 2k was average.

7 minutes ago, zee_four said:

I worked in NYC a little bit and the only affordable place in NJ commutable I could find was Newark.

I'm from CO though. Grew up in the mountains near a ski resort which is crazy expensive. In Denver now for school which I advise everyone to stop moving too. Places 5+ years ago that were $500 for a 1 bedroom arebover a grand. Its almost as expensive as when I lived in Perth Western Australia back in 2011 at the peak of the mining boom where 2k was average.

I live in Denver now, too! Housing prices are definitely expensive, and the forecast indicates they will continue to climb. I live in an area outside of Denver, probably 10 miles or so south of downtown, and i pay $1300/mo in rent for a pretty nice, if standard, one bedroom apartment.

I am hoping to move to NYC, and am already concerned about the rental prices.

41 minutes ago, Londish said:

I live in Denver now, too! Housing prices are definitely expensive, and the forecast indicates they will continue to climb. I live in an area outside of Denver, probably 10 miles or so south of downtown, and i pay $1300/mo in rent for a pretty nice, if standard, one bedroom apartment.

I am hoping to move to NYC, and am already concerned about the rental prices.

Another one in Denver, over here! My mother's been talking about possibly giving me my inheritance early so I can use it to make a down payment on a condo, but finding anything I'd be able to afford without going too far from the places I frequent (like the place I play and host trivia) won't be easy. Glendale or Aurora look like the best bets. 

I did really luck out with my apartment, though. I have a spacious two bedroom with tons of storage, a fireplace, and a balcony (plus an indoor pool on the first floor) for less than a thousand a month in a decent neighborhood about 3.5 miles east of downtown. 

4 hours ago, zee_four said:

My husband is from Perth and it's lovely there. I have told him we can move there if he buys me a house with an ocean view. :pb_lol:

So unless he wins the lottery I guess we'll be staying in Sweden. 

On 12/30/2016 at 0:30 PM, jqlgoblue said:

I am in SF. I am 35 and share a flat with two other 35 yo women. We all have good jobs that pay well. It's a really nice flat, and I actually really like having people around, but this only happens here b/c it is so freaking expensive.

I will never be able to buy here on my own and even if I get married I have no idea how you buy a house and save for retirement here, let alone pay for kids, their school, and save for college educations.

I have heard stories from friends about both coasts and the ridiculous cost of real estate. They both are glad to be in Texas for many reasons but mostly because of the choices they have available to them regarding buying houses. I know places in Dallas can be expensive and Hill Country properties are high but people can find something in all price ranges especially in Houston. I would invite you all to Texas but that would be silly, we are all rednecks. Well except me.

I am almost convinced that neither Jana nor JD are courting because they don't want to not because there are no suitors available.

Especially JD, I mean look at him, he owns a house (years ago he bought an old house and the bank gave it to him if he renovated it, if I remember corrrectly?), he is a pilot and works as a polic officer (is that correct). Actually, this is all prettty impressive for a 26 year old.

He is quite a catch, not only in fundieland!

Plus he seems to have a calm, collected and at least not vicious caracter. If I were straight and 10 years younger, I would be very impressed by him, honestly.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived