IGNORED

Jana's Future 3 - Baking and Real Estate

DaisyD

Does anyone live in NY? I really want to move to NY but want to buy something outside of the city but still commutable. I haven't gone house hunting but have been just browsing on zillow/trulia/etc. What are home prices like in commuter towns?

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So glad we are moving back to the middle of nowhere. Our budget is about 75k and we are looking for a two, maybe three bedroom place with a yard and more than one bathroom. It's going pretty well. We've found a few places that are in need of various updates depending on how much we want to pay. One of the houses on our "look into" list is about 42k with three bedrooms. That place will need a lot of remodeling, but nothing we couldn't do ourselves (floors, new paint, upkeep on some woodworking in the house, redo the kitchens and baths)

Right now we live in the PNW and houses up here are nuts. While we are sad to be leaving such a gorgeous part of the country, we are glad we won't have to shell out 250k for what we would be getting in the boonies for 50k

4 hours ago, Londish said:

Does anyone live in NY? I really want to move to NY but want to buy something outside of the city but still commutable. I haven't gone house hunting but have been just browsing on zillow/trulia/etc. What are home prices like in commuter towns?

What part of NY? It's a big state. I don't live anywhere near NYC, and I'm sure it defiantly would not be commutable.

5 hours ago, Londish said:

Pretty much anywhere you live that is commutable to NY is gonna be expensive. Staten Island, parts of Long Island and the Bronx are somewhat more doable though. NJ is mostly expensive. 

1 hour ago, sophie10130 said:

So glad we are moving back to the middle of nowhere. Our budget is about 75k and we are looking for a two, maybe three bedroom place with a yard and more than one bathroom. It's going pretty well. We've found a few places that are in need of various updates depending on how much we want to pay. One of the houses on our "look into" list is about 42k with three bedrooms. That place will need a lot of remodeling, but nothing we couldn't do ourselves (floors, new paint, upkeep on some woodworking in the house, redo the kitchens and baths)

Right now we live in the PNW and houses up here are nuts. While we are sad to be leaving such a gorgeous part of the country, we are glad we won't have to shell out 250k for what we would be getting in the boonies for 50k

Which part of the middle of nowhere are you moving to, if you don't mind me asking?

omg. I'm in Santa Cruz, California and can't find a decent 2 bed for rent for under 3 grand with a 6 thousand dollar deposit. My husband and I are debating on moving down south (Morro Bay) or north (Brookings, OR). He's a commercial fisherman and gone for the season and our rental "deal" of a rat infested, no heat 300 square foot studio was just not cutting it anymore at 1,000 per month. Especially with the new baby coming and the toddler becoming progressively more independent, we need a 2 bedroom. I'm renting a room from my mother right now at 500 per month, on the condition I buy all my own food and don't ask for childcare help often (not on maternity leave yet) but it's been a strain being a fully grown adult living at home with my teenage siblings and trying to raise my daughter how I see fit. That and she won't allow my husband around because she doesn't like him. I wish I could find a cheap apartment here lol.

45 minutes ago, 19Kittens said:

@MarblesMom my husband's commercial salmon boat l is in Morro though and if we move down there he wants to be near it because he's a guy and weird lol. 

uh huh ^_^ sometimes I think guys are worse about boats than they are about cars...a lot of boats of all kinds here, I've never encountered real fishermen and sailors before

2 hours ago, 19Kittens said:

omg. I'm in Santa Cruz, California and can't find a decent 2 bed for rent for under 3 grand with a 6 thousand dollar deposit. My husband and I are debating on moving down south (Morro Bay) or north (Brookings, OR). He's a commercial fisherman and gone for the season and our rental "deal" of a rat infested, no heat 300 square foot studio was just not cutting it anymore at 1,000 per month. Especially with the new baby coming and the toddler becoming progressively more independent, we need a 2 bedroom. I'm renting a room from my mother right now at 500 per month, on the condition I buy all my own food and don't ask for childcare help often (not on maternity leave yet) but it's been a strain being a fully grown adult living at home with my teenage siblings and trying to raise my daughter how I see fit. That and she won't allow my husband around because she doesn't like him. I wish I could find a cheap apartment here lol.

Oh man we're close! I'm in santa clara county currently but I'm hoping to move to San Fransisco or east bay since my job is in San Fransisco. Pretty much I'm just trying to figure out who to live with since there's no way I could afford a place on my own.

This is my favorite homepage when it comes to real estate: https://www.engelvoelkers.com. They have several offices near where I work and they have a real estate magazine you can get for free there. I love it. Some houses or rather mansions in the US are also often in there. Many of them in Florida. Miami Beach area. 

My parents and I often play a game where we look trough the magazine and everyone has to choose a house he/she wants. So much fun! Also good models to use for building houses in The Sims. 

When I first read the thread title, I thought it said "Banking and real estate". I think I need to get new glasses.  :P 

(It'd be interesting, though, if she did get into banking. Wait a sec, though: there isn't a Duggar that's into banking, is there? Well, I mean other than JB banking money into his pockets, perhaps, and investment properties/cell phone towers.)

16 hours ago, 19Kittens said:

I live in a middle of the road small home in the Rio Del Mar area of Aptos. It would list for over 1 million. 

Y'all are making me cry. I live in Asheville, NC, which is currently being invaded by people from up North and out West who've sold their houses at obscene prices and are currently driving up home prices here to the point where all local wages will buy is a garden shed in the woods. 

Seriously, a 3br/2ba that isn't falling in on itself is going to run at least $200k. Sure, you could buy a trailer for less, but you'll spend all the money you save on heating the damn thing in winter...

5 hours ago, JesusCampSongs said:

Y'all are making me cry. I live in Asheville, NC,

My deceased sister's house is in Candler, just outside of A'ville.  Realtor doesn't have the same rosy outlook....

6 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

My deceased sister's house is in Candler, just outside of A'ville.  Realtor doesn't have the same rosy outlook....

Is it downwind of the paper mill in Canton? Most of the people I know won't buy or rent in Candler because of that. 

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 9:47 PM, freedom_for_all said:

As someone living in NYC these housing prices are making me cry

Amen to that!  I'm in Westchester and $700K is the minimum one would pay for 1500SF in a decent neighborhood and in decent shape!

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 11:01 PM, SweetFellowshipper said:

Pretty much anywhere you live that is commutable to NY is gonna be expensive. Staten Island, parts of Long Island and the Bronx are somewhat more doable though. NJ is mostly expensive. 

@Londish I live in Westchester, just north of the city and the train to Manhattan is a short walk away (I work in Manhattan).   I paid $220K for my two bedroom condo apartment 15 years ago.  My apartment would go for about $350-$450K right now.  Houses in decent condition with 3 bedrooms and more than one bathroom will run you about $650-$850K for about 1500SF. 

You don't want to live in NYC.  This place is a stinking, crowded, hellhole and I can't wait until I can find a way to make a decent living elsewhere and get out of this area. 

Wow I am close to a lot of FJers! :pb_smile: My husband and I live in Sacramento county, and its still somewhat reasonable to buy property here, but its more conservative than the rest of CA, and there isn't as much to do here as there is on the coast or in the Bay, for sure. We do have some great restaurants here now though (compared to when I was a kid, anyway)! If any of you are ever in Sacramento, definitely check out the Shady Lady (fried duck tator tots and fried green tomatoes, so yummy!)

I am in SF. I am 35 and share a flat with two other 35 yo women. We all have good jobs that pay well. It's a really nice flat, and I actually really like having people around, but this only happens here b/c it is so freaking expensive.

I will never be able to buy here on my own and even if I get married I have no idea how you buy a house and save for retirement here, let alone pay for kids, their school, and save for college educations.

I only lived in California briefly about a decade ago. My now husband and I lived in a crappy apartment in Orange County. It was 2 bedrooma, 2 bathrooms, with a big kitchen...so the space was decent. We even had 1 garage. But it was so, so nasty. The carpet was from the 70's, at least. Our bathroom door basically fell off due to old termite damage. We had one tiny wall AC unit that was a million years old and pointless (my husband actually replaced it because we were dying that summer.) We paid about $1500 a month, if I am remembering correctly. When we moved back to the midwest, we had a much newer/nicer apartment for under $1000 a month. It was slightly smaller but it had a fireplace, which I liked. And the property had a pool. (Overall, I HATE apartment living though.) We're in a house now. It's not fancy (basically a cheaply built, cookie cutter home) but it's a good size. Our monthly mortgage, tax, and insurance is less than what we paid for that shitty apartment in CA. We never would have been able to get a house there. I really don't know how people do it. But I suppose they make more money than us.*

*I make $0 a year. Ha!

4 hours ago, jqlgoblue said:

I am in SF. I am 35 and share a flat with two other 35 yo women. We all have good jobs that pay well. It's a really nice flat, and I actually really like having people around, but this only happens here b/c it is so freaking expensive.

I will never be able to buy here on my own and even if I get married I have no idea how you buy a house and save for retirement here, let alone pay for kids, their school, and save for college educations.

There is a book called ' The barefoot investor ' by Scott Pape.  He is an Aussie financial writer and has an easy reading style.

Basically he suggests a plan of a series of date nights to set up a plan to pay off debts, save for a home and plan for retirement.  It is written specifically for the Australian financial situation.

I am sure there are American authors who do the same.

We payed off our mortgage yesterday, now to save for a holiday and then renovations.  :my_biggrin:

We are in our early 50's.

On 12/28/2016 at 8:04 PM, ClaraOswin said:

Which part of the middle of nowhere are you moving to, if you don't mind me asking?

RURAL illinois

The econ professor at a college in the town we are looking near had his students one year figure out if towns similar to that town in other places in Illinois had similar housing markets, and they found that this town's was by far the lowest. He created the slogan "Sell your car, buy a house in ___________."

Name not mentioned for anonymity's sake.

3 hours ago, Percy said:

There is a book called ' The barefoot investor ' by Scott Pape.  He is an Aussie financial writer and has an easy reading style.

Basically he suggests a plan of a series of date nights to set up a plan to pay off debts, save for a home and plan for retirement.  It is written specifically for the Australian financial situation.

I am sure there are American authors who do the same.

We payed off our mortgage yesterday, now to save for a holiday and then renovations.  :my_biggrin:

We are in our early 50's.

Suze Orman does it here.

Basically, it is pay down any debt (college or credit card), max your 401k, max your IRA, save for house and buy house. That said, I have an engineering degree, and MBA and am very financially savvy when it comes to personal savings (though less so when it comes to real estate).

I have never had any debt.

I have always maxed my 401k and IRA (for the last 12 years), so I have significant net-worth but it is tied up in retirement funds.

I have saved an additional 10-15% of my income for the last 6 years, so I have some non-trivial liquid assets that could be used for a downpayment.

I am not even CLOSE to being able to buy here in SF. A 1br 1bath is 700k+ and often you have to pay ALL CASH. I am close to a 20% downpayment, but that is laughable, and at this point would wipe all of my liquid assets anyway.

On 12/27/2016 at 6:23 PM, DaniLouisiana said:

@QuiverDance please please tell me its not the Lake Charles area that houses are that much! I'm trying very hard to get my husband to at least look at property in that area....

Dani, I live near LC. You could buy a super nice house for $350,000 and one on the lake for around $500,000. Check Sulphur, Moss Bluff, South LC for a spectacular house in the $350,000 range and an extremely nice one in the $250,000 range. Nice for the area, that is.

@weirdemmaline,  my niece and her husband are moving to Minneapolis or thereabouts.  I don't know when they are moving, but they're in Orlando now.  Before that they lived in the San Jose, California area and before that in Charleston, SC.  When they moved to California, my niece enjoyed the fact that there were far fewer bugs in California.  They didn't like the home prices in Cail, though.  

@JesusCampSongs,  I'd heard that about how the popularity of Asheville had driven home prices through the roof.  That is an unfortunate thing that happens in resort communities: those people who make the resort (or community) work can no longer afford to live there.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived