IGNORED

The Boyer Sisters, Part 3

samurai_sarah

13 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

@formergotharditeI got the impression that Gabe was less piqued about people talking shit about his wife and her family than about them having a chuckle at his authentic Scotch fannypack...

Maybe so, but his first post was in response to Nina criticizing the Boyer parents, not all the stuff she said about his wife. I for one would be annoyed if my husband joined a message board, defended my parents and never said one word to defend me. Not even a "Jessica explained on the blog what happened, why are you saying that about my wife?" I defended Brigid's honor more than he did! 

I don't think my husband would wear a kilt. :laughing-jumpingpurple: But if he did, Gabe does do a good job. How much would a well made kilt cost me? 

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I don't think my husband would wear a kilt. :laughing-jumpingpurple: But if he did, Gabe does do a good job. How much would a well made kilt cost me? 

I don't know what Gabe charges, but rent one first and check out your husband's legs in it. Stocky well muscled guys look better in them than tall skinny types.  In my opinion, of course.

A good all wool 8 yard kilt will cost you from a low of perhaps £350.00 to well over £1,000 depending on the weave.  Yes that is £ not $.  They are not cheap!

And it was really strange that "Gabe" made no attempt to defend Brigid, but he probably doesn't know her very well.

@Gabe, did Papa Boyer make you do a courtship questionnaire?  If so, how many questions?

He is tall and skinny and I'm 100% sure that I could never get him in a kilt. :laughing-jumpingpurple: I was just curious how much it would cost should he ever take a notion to get one. 

44 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

He is tall and skinny and I'm 100% sure that I could never get him in a kilt. :laughing-jumpingpurple: I was just curious how much it would cost should he ever take a notion to get one. 

I just asked Mr. P if he would ever wear a kilt if I asked him to very nicely.  He said that perhaps 30 years ago he might have been willing.  Shucks.  I think he could still carry one off well.  He still has good legs - unlike Sproul, Jr.  :laughing-rolling:

I have only recently been introduced to the wondrous world of kilt checks...how did I make it through my twenties without realizing this is a thing?! :dance:

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Maybe so, but his first post was in response to Nina criticizing the Boyer parents, not all the stuff she said about his wife. I for one would be annoyed if my husband joined a message board, defended my parents and never said one word to defend me. Not even a "Jessica explained on the blog what happened, why are you saying that about my wife?" I defended Brigid's honor more than he did! 

Thanks for jumping in on Brigid's behalf. Your counter comments were the reason I felt it unnecessary to address those jabs. I was also unsure if I wanted to post much and the anti-Brigid posts were pages back by the time I decided to bother.

I am amused by the incredibly smug and condescending tone of most of the posters here. To those who contributed good reading links I am grateful and will be following up on those.

Though I doubt it will quell the cackling of those who despise my education and consider me ignorant. You have absolutely no idea what it consisted of and it would be tedious to begin to quantify it, 1000s of books, by writers of every persuasion, plus the higher education material I am currently studying, and the specialized studies I am pursuing out of interest.

You should look into the possibility that those who express an opinion opposite of yours do not do so because of a lack of education or knowledge but do so because they have a different worldview.

I don't think anyone despises your education@Gabe. It would be hard for many of us to do so, given that several people in this thread are also homeschooling graduates, myself included. That said, as adults living in the real world, many of us have had to come to terms with the fact that our educations were *SEVERELY* lacking in some areas, and that home education can limit our exposure to ideas that differ from that of ourselves and our parents. That is what people are trying to point out to you - that you haven't been out there and experienced enough to realise what you have missed.

18 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I am amused by the incredibly smug and condescending tone of most of the posters here. To those who contributed good reading links I am grateful and will be following up on those.

Says the man who proposed a formal debate in an internet forum...

23 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Thanks for jumping in on Brigid's behalf. Your counter comments were the reason I felt it unnecessary to address those jabs. I was also unsure if I wanted to post much and the anti-Brigid posts were pages back by the time I decided to bother.

Though I doubt it will quell the cackling of those who despise my education and consider me ignorant. You have absolutely no idea what it consisted of and it would be tedious to begin to quantify it, 1000s of books, by writers of every persuasion, plus the higher education material I am currently studying, and the specialized studies I am pursuing out of interest.

You should look into the possibility that those who express an opinion opposite of yours do not do so because of a lack of education or knowledge but do so because they have a different worldview.

Well, thanks for acknowledging @formergothardite's valiant efforts on Brigid's behalf.

I'm glad you will be following up on some of the reading recommendations.

If you thought I was cackling, @Gabe, you are wrong.  Actually you, and people like you, break my heart.  I think you probably have a good brain.  I want you to go forward and succeed.  Keep on reading.  Especially keep on reading beyond your comfort zone, reach out to others with different viewpoints, and keep an open mind.   

You are still so very young and wet behind the ears.  I'm sure it really annoys you to hear that, but I have learned so much in the 40 odd years since I was your age.  I have changed my views on so many things over those years - and for the better.

That said, you have no idea how ignorant and uninformed you appeared here.  I do blame your lack of educational opportunities - and your arrogance.   You are not as extraordinary as you appear to think.

It is not a "different world view." It is an arrogant, blinkered, sheltered, uninformed, and deliberately obtuse world view.  You showed your ignorance.

I wish you the best in the future and I sincerely hope you can and will learn.

28 minutes ago, Destiny said:

home education can limit our exposure to ideas that differ from that of ourselves and our parents

Even public or private school education can be limiting, too! Going to college was a great experience for me because I met people who grew up in wildly different environments from myself, whereas in elementary/high school we were a fairly homogenous group. I had some professors that I vehemently disagreed with, too, but sitting through their classes and actually taking their views into consideration expanded my horizons so much!

My view of the world became so much richer and broader between ages 18-22 because I was interacting with people who had different experiences and beliefs on a daily basis. This doesn't mean I threw out all my views or anything, but I did form some new opinions and the ones I kept were far better informed by the end of it. I'm past college and out in the "real world" now, but I'm still learning things from my experiences every day... and I hope I never stop!

58 minutes ago, Gabe said:

No one despises your education. You do come off as ignorant on several subjects. We don't need to know how many books you have read when the things you write don't demonstrate knowledge. Reading stacks upon stacks of books means nothing if you don't show true comprehension of these often complex issues. 

My advice, don't just read higher education material. Go to a local college and take a class in person. Don't think you can teach yourself to become an expert. You need a teacher. You need to have an actual person challenging you. From the way you write here, I think you would probably enjoy and benefit greatly from sitting in a class with people who will argue back if you start saying some of the stuff you have written here.

If you want to write a curriculum, don't think that reading books will give you the knowledge on how to do that. Don't think that taking history classes will give you the knowledge. You will need to be trained in how to teach history and how to write a curriculum. You need an outsider who will go over it with a fine tooth comb and be brutally honest. Again, don't think that you can just teach yourself this. You can't. 

If this is your dream, then you need to start at the point that you start questioning if you know as much as you think you know.  A lot of us have been where you are and some of us are decades away from that point. I think we have all discovered that the more we truly learn the more we realize how little we started off knowing and how much we still have to learn. 

Also, take a good look at why you want to ignore how history has been whitewashed. That is a HUGE issue with how history is taught and you want to pretend it never even happened! You need to do some soul searching there to see why you either don't think history has been whitewashed or why you want to ignore such an important part of history. You will not  be able to create any sort of an honest history course if you continue with your head stuck in the sand over this issue. 

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Oh I know your world view quite well. I've been surrounded by people with your world view. Unfortunately it is a narrow world view that I hope one day you will broaden. But your attitude is making me think that you may not want to. If so, I guess I wish you well in your Eurocentric bubble of privilege. 

I think the whole "I'll just teach myself" deal comes from the hands off approach that I've seen quite a few homeschooling parents use, especially when there's a lot of kids to teach. That's the only way he probably knows how to learn. I'd be willing to guarantee his mom never lectured and made them take notes during said lecture and tested them over it. And most likely the lessons didn't come from different sources like a public or private school teacher would use to prepare lessons.

4 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Mr. D got a utilikilt a couple of years ago. Good heavens does that do it for me. :pb_lol: At any rate, a kilt can be had for under a hundred dollars if you don't have to have wool (we're in the desert here, wool isn't required). 

I've been perusing https://www.atlantakilts.com. I love this stuff. I recently joined SAMS (Scottish American Military Society). I have a black watch kilt, but I want the family tartan too. I have the skills to make one, but by the time I buy all the bits, I might as well just buy one and use that time for my real sewing job.

6 hours ago, Gabe said:

I have been following this thread for several days now. And I just have to say: 

@Gabe Since other posters here have done the tedious work of providing you with extra reading material I think it would only be fair and appropriate for you to do the "tedious" work (that you seem to have no issue demanding from others) of providing examples of the books and writers of every persuasion you've read. 

And seriously - the reason that we don't know what your education consisted of is because you insist on describing it in vague terms (ie. "higher education material", "1000s of books", "specialized studies"). The lack of clarity leads me to believe that your education has been rather one dimensional and limited which manifests itself as ignorance/arrogance. I don't despise your education (none of us can control how we were educated as children) what I do despise is your constant deflection that seems to indicate you have no interest in taking control of your education as an adult and broadening your horizons - at least this far into your adult life.  

6 hours ago, Gabe said:

Pro tip: Ya know, bud, doubling down on the BS about the "1000s of books" and "higher education material" while calling names & making false accusations only highlights your youth, ignorance, and arrogance. Hope you're not thinking this behavior makes you look like a mature scholar.

/Godwin alert for the following/

Your ideas about "real" history and writing "real" history would be laughable if we hadn't already seen the horrific results that such thinking leads to. I'm currently spending the holidays in Germany with family. Yesterday, we went to Buchenwald, a place constructed by monsters as part of their plan to promote the "true" and "real" history of Germany and the German people.

So, I have no time or patience for your nonsense. Interested in the "real" history of Anglo-Americans? Here are some places you can visit right in the US of A that document the vile & ugly portions of that history: the Whitney PlantationManzanar Internment Camp; ; or the  Trail of Tears national historic trail. Once you've visited or perhaps in preparation for a visit, do some background reading from the good suggestions you've gotten here.

11 hours ago, Gabe said:

But you don't tell us! We can't read minds.

And, as you said you like extra reading material, there is something from me:

https://analepsis.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/companion-to-historiography.pdf

The one text I couldn't stop thinking about while reading your posts was Robert Irwin's Saladin and the Third Crusade. Page 130. Also, the whole part V. 

15 hours ago, Gabe said:

I am amused by the incredibly smug and condescending tone of most of the posters here.

Ah yes, here we find the tone policing. Favorite tool of those who can't argue with the actual content of what is being said. 

Thousands of books and he can't name a single one! Bet you can't guess what the majority of the authors had in common. 

@Gabe it is a fantastic idea to take a few local college courses. You might be exposed to new ideas, different kinds of people, and new sources of material. An even better idea is to take advantage of your child free status and take a class or two with your wife. You'll have someone to discuss what you are learning with, and your children will benefit from their primary teacher having more knowledge. She might love it.

5 minutes ago, BackseatMom said:

@Gabe it is a fantastic idea to take a few local college courses. You might be exposed to new ideas, different kinds of people, and new sources of material. An even better idea is to take advantage of your child free status and take a class or two with your wife. You'll have someone to discuss what you are learning with, and your children will benefit from their primary teacher having more knowledge. She might love it.

It's interesting, last night I came across a post in which Brigid talks about her history education:

I’m finished with History, though all my courses in the past few years have been fashion related, as that’s the area I have the most interest in, and, contrary to what you might think, it actually gave me a very good broad view of the events that have taken place throughout history, aside from just fashion history.

Yeah, maybe I'm smug and condescending, but I don't think that's a quality history education. There's a lot in history that doesn't involve what people wore. 

So all her history courses were about fashion history? No, that did not give her a good view of history. It gave her an extremely limited view. Yeah, both of them should go take a history course at their local community college. 

40 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

So all her history courses were about fashion history? No, that did not give her a good view of history. It gave her an extremely limited view. Yeah, both of them should go take a history course at their local community college. 

I've had many art and design history courses. Doesn't mean I know anything about the French Revolution. It means I know about art and design history. Which is pretty narrow if you ask me. 

1 hour ago, ladyamylynn said:

Ah yes, here we find the tone policing. Favorite tool of those who can't argue with the actual content of what is being said. 

Thousands of books and he can't name a single one! Bet you can't guess what the majority of the authors had in common. 

I find it funny that Gabe calls out smugness when his posts have been drenched in the smug since he got here. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived