IGNORED

The Boyer Sisters, Part 3

samurai_sarah

Since I didn't go grocery shopping yet again today, dinner was 100% breakfast for dinner (Brinner!). I made egg scramble with sautéed mushrooms (canned stems and pieces, sliced), roasted red peppers (half a jar left in the fridge, diced), pepper jack cheese (cheese sticks because it was that or no cheese, finely chopped), and snipped chives served with sides of Southwestern seasoned hashbrowns (Simply Potatoes... easy peasy!) and browned turkey sausages (Jimmy Dean Costco pack). I cleaned and sliced a pint of strawberries for dessert that I had picked up for myself on Valentine's Day, let them macerate with about a half tablespoon of sugar while we ate dinner, and then proceeded to mindlessly pick at and eat 3/4 of the bowl by myself while my father and I watched Family Feud. The other 1/4 went to my father after realizing I devoured most of the bowl, which he ate with a large portion of whipped cream. My mother ate her portion of dinner reheated a la microwave oven because she arrived home about an hour after we finished eating, but no strawberries for her, because I ate them all. She was happy that I consumed so much fruit...

It was an all black day in terms of my wardrobe. Black knit leggings accompanied by a black scoopneck tee. Sleek. Slimming. Ridiculously faded. Bare feet because I soaked up the last day of warmth and sunshine before the weekend storm rolls in.

-----

The newest post by the sisters is all about their favorite podcasts. It speaks volumes on how conservative their household is, when they're warning their readers that NPR skews left. Sorry, but NPR is pretty damn moderate, but compared to the stuff Daddy Boyer consumes on a daily basis (The Blaze, Breitbart, InfoWars...), I guess anything not Christian-based or right-wing slung would be considered liberal leftist media. 

The fact they're buying into the Trim Healthy Mama crap now? Ugh. I won't be surprised if we see food posts all about their new fabulous eating plan (and how much energy they now have, since they don't need to lose weight...) or affiliate links to THM-branded bags of stevia. 

For the more mainstream podcasts they claim to listen to, I'm sure about 75% or more of the episodes get avoided due to their content being against biblical dictation. They've got to be stretching for blog fodder if they're recommending a podcast that had an episode featuring the futures of virtual sex very recently. 

Honestly, the only podcasts I consistently listen to are those from TheDis... and that's because I'm Disney obsessed and counting down the days until I can go back to the parks... Otherwise, I'll catch the occasional episode of This American Life and Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! on the local NPR station if I'm in my car. Even still, I'm more of a music person while driving, and even when I'm working, I put on episodes of old TV shows I've seen dozens (if not hundreds) of times that I can use just as background noise (canned laughter makes for the perfect white noise!).

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DaniLouisiana said:

@charmedforsure, you sound like you make a mean breakfast!! Not my favorite meal, but yours sounds good-especially the strawberries!

When I cook for others, I try my hardest to make a tasty meal that is interesting for everyone eating it - if I have the energy to do so. If I'm cooking for just myself (and I know I have to do the dishes), you can bet your behind I'm making the simplest thing possible to sate my hunger. As of late, my meals for one have been liberally buttered toast, griddled cheese quesadillas with a side of sour cream mixed with hot sauce for dipping, and chicken salad (mayo, diced celery, dried cranberries, and a dash of Lawry's) on toast. 

Funny enough, if I do get around to eating breakfast in the morning, I usually eat savory non-breakfast foods. I generally only crave traditional breakfast-type foods (other than toast, I can eat toast anytime) in the evening or late night (2 AM pancakes are the best!).

Last night my partner wanted a mushroom omlette, and I'm usually a mean omlette maker.... but for a change I made 1 giant one in my mother's old cast iron pan that I recently re-proved - so we ended up having lumps of omlette-ish stuff with everything possible going wrong.  Me in my pyjamas, she in the same clothes she wore to work.  Sitting on the sofa, watching some really awful TV.  The sunset was gorgeous, but it was about 3 hours earlier.

(I actually really like nights like that - the trying-and-failing of cooking, the way she'll tell me it's delicious, even though it looks like a disaster.  I know I sound smug, because we've been together for over 20 years, but it's a different kind of love to the newly-wed we once had, and it's just as nice)

12 hours ago, Destiny said:

I hate all of you. I feel so inadequate. The last meal I cooked at home was frozen ravioli with cut up tomatoes and basil.

I wore pj pants and a t-shirt. No toe prisons, cos fuck that.

That's exactly how I cook and that's exactly what I wear. Twinsies!

@charmedforsure, I cook for others all the time and make my family's cuisine for my husband and the two kids that enjoy it. Then my Kiddo makes dinner for the two of us-usually something Japenese but I still hide the red pepper until he's done! I can't eat anything spicy at all.

20 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

I noticed this, too. Since Gabe has been on here, I've actually found myself being nicer and more constructive in my comments, rather than just snarking. Sometimes I forget that these people are real people with feelings and lives all their own. Since my words might get back to the sisters, I've found myself being very careful with them. I'm terrified of making people feel bad about themselves, unless they're actively rude to me, personally.

No judgement on those who are snarkier than me, of course, this is a snark site after all! I'm just super non-confrontational. My sister tells me I'm way too nice. Could be worse :)

To respond to you, @MargaretElliott...I feel the same. I think snark is a perfectly acceptable and understandable response and way of both coping with and criticizing these harmful ideologies. I tend to err on the side of typing out my thoughts in such a way that I am comfortable with these people really reading them -- not that I would never say anything that could be construed as mean, but rather, I'm comfortable limiting myself to the most confrontational I'm willing to be in direct contact if, for instance, someone like Gabe comes along...

I'm about to dive into their latest post. While I listen to My Favorite Murder, which I'm 150% positive is not going to be on this list.

You might think that because we have a blog and have created a lot of neat and inspiring content that we are always full of new ideas.

#humblebrag.

My first reaction listening to their list: Holy crap that list sounds so boring / preachy. I'm actually surprised they listen to Stuff You Missed in History Class, given its implied purpose of anti-revisionism. But good for them. I'm sure they'd never drop in on Cristen and Caroline at Stuff Mom Never Told Youthough.

Boyers, my recommendation: Savage Love. :pb_lol:

My own favorites: My Favorite Murder, MBMBAM, Dear Prudence, Mortified, Baby Geniuses, Interrobang, 2 Dope Queens, Trends Like These, Oh No Ross and Carrie...I'm always looking for new suggestions, the worldlier the better!!! What podcasts do y'all listen to??

On 1/11/2017 at 2:04 PM, ladyamylynn said:

Ehh, as long as you're getting things done who cares what the background noise is? Speaking of podcasts, any fellow fans of My Favorite Murder? #ssdgm

Whoa, okay, I felt like MFM had been mentioned in this thread before! Elvis, you wanna cookie? :kitty:

What I found sad about this most recent post is the mention that Brigid listens to podcasts because she stays home by herself most days and a quiet house can be "trying on the mind". 

I know a lot of these girls who get married are expected to stay home and immediately get pregnant and be homemakers from the wedding day on out. I wish Brigid could, if she wants to, get a job, volunteer in the community or take classes where she can interact with others and get exposed to new ideas and thoughts. If she WANTS to stay home all day, by  herself, thats one thing. But it seemed sad to me. 

I think Brigid could/should do a married-life style and cooking blog.  She's got great photography skills and an instant audience.  I'd read that - live vicariously through her as I drink box wine from my Spock mug and eat rice cakes for dinner.  

My favorite podcasts:

TV Guidance Counselor--a comedian has a large collection of old TV Guides.  He brings on a guest, the guest picks an issue, and they go through it to decide what they would watch in prime time that week in history.  They have interesting discussions about trends in media, culture, narrative, etc. It's also very funny!

Again With This--A review of every single episode of Beverly Hills 90210.  They are now in season 6. [Note:  It is done by former TWoP moderators.]

Out on the Lanai--A review of every single episode of the Golden Girls.  They are now in season 5.

1 hour ago, MakeitSew said:

What I found sad about this most recent post is the mention that Brigid listens to podcasts because she stays home by herself most days and a quiet house can be "trying on the mind". 

I know a lot of these girls who get married are expected to stay home and immediately get pregnant and be homemakers from the wedding day on out. I wish Brigid could, if she wants to, get a job, volunteer in the community or take classes where she can interact with others and get exposed to new ideas and thoughts. If she WANTS to stay home all day, by  herself, thats one thing. But it seemed sad to me. 

Thing is, Gabe (whether it was actually him or not) said they only have one vehicle. It doesn't seem like they're in a city with public transportation either... but I doubt Brigid would even consider that an option for getting out of the house. Isolation definitely plays into her being a stay-at-home wife with few options other than the domestic arts.

1 hour ago, acheronbeach said:

I think Brigid could/should do a married-life style and cooking blog.  She's got great photography skills and an instant audience.  I'd read that - live vicariously through her as I drink box wine from my Spock mug and eat rice cakes for dinner.  

sounds like you're living the dream!!!

1 hour ago, ladyamylynn said:

This Spock mug sounds sweet.

Ten bucks on clearance at Winners (TJMaxx/Marshalls for you Yankees)!

If you're a superTrekkie like me, it does NOT actually look like Spock's severed head, as advertised.  It looks more like an angry Senator Vreenak from DS9 (IT'S A FAAAAAAKE!).  Still, it's pretty awesome.  

21 hours ago, charmedforsure said:

dinner was 100% breakfast for dinner (Brinner!).

Brinner FTW!  We do that at least once a month.  It's amazing and easy.

10 hours ago, GeoBQn said:

My favorite podcasts:

(Snip)

Again With This--A review of every single episode of Beverly Hills 90210.  They are now in season 6. [Note:  It is done by former TWoP moderators.]

I love Again With This! I'm a bit to young to remember Beverly Hills 90210 (I just remember my aunts leaving family gatherings early because they had to watch the episode when it aired!)  I also like the "mother" podcast, extra hot great.

Here are some of my other favorite podcasts:

You must remember this - about the golden age in Hollywood. The series about the Manson murders are amazing.

No such thing as a fish - Made by the QI elves (from the tv show QI), they just list the weirdest facts they've found in the last week.

Rex Factor - I'm a history nerd, especially British history, and this podcast reviews all the kings and queens of England. Pretty funny! They're in their second season, and now they're doing the kings and queens of Scotland. 

2 hours ago, wikinggirl said:

You must remember this - about the golden age in Hollywood. The series about the Manson murders are amazing.

Agreed! How are you enjoying the new season?

On 2/17/2017 at 5:26 PM, Kariina said:

Whoa, okay, I felt like MFM had been mentioned in this thread before! Elvis, you wanna cookie? :kitty:

I love Elvis so much.  My favorite podcasts are My Favorite Murder, Again With This, Radiolab, Mother May I Sleep With Podcast (recaps Lifetime/Made for TV movies), Go Bayside, MBMBAM, Sawbones...I'm probably forgetting some.  Def. going to have to look up the Golden Girls one mentioned above.

I think Brigid could/should do a married-life style and cooking blog.  She's got great photography skills and an instant audience.  

I suffer from insomnia and this sounds like a great cure.

On 2/17/2017 at 4:26 PM, Kariina said:

@MargaretElliott

..I'm always looking for new suggestions, the worldlier the better!!! What podcasts do y'all listen to??

In Sight! It's a true crime podcast.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived