IGNORED

The Boyer Sisters, Part 3

samurai_sarah

i do loooove her china pattern! the gold flat ware, not my style...a bit pretentious, imo...recipes would have really made that post  though

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the gold, because it's so different. I would have used a tablecloth, but that's just me. I find dishes directly on the table creates unnecessary noise. 

I never cared for gold china patterns, as I have family silver that doesn't match with it. 

Just thought I'd write a banal comment about a banal blog post. You're welcome, everybody. ;)

I liked the post. But then, I love food and a pretty meal makes my heart happy. I'd much rather see food posts than outfit posts. But I wish she included the recipes!

Hello dearies!  It was a delightful Wednesday at our house on a date that has zero significance for us, so I decided to celebrate with a special dinner. I set the table with our red Fiesta ware that Mr.  CL bought for me on a business trip ten years ago. The tablecloth and napkins happened to be clean. Since it was a weeknight, we opted for sparkling grape juice instead of wine. 

Dinner consisted of tilapia and sweet potato noodles, both sautéed in olive oil. On the side were steamed fresh broccoli and homemade applesauce. We had picked the apples last October, and I canned it about a week afterwards (it was *not* a Maxwellian family affair ending with 120 quarts).  While I was monitoring the stove to ensure I didn't burn anything, Mr. CL barged in to ask if the chicken coop needed to be locked up for the night; it did, and he took care of it.  He's such a gem!!1!

We did not have dessert, as two members of our household are monitoring their blood sugar. 

The real fun will come later, where Mr. CL and I will have a contest to see who can come up with the best story for not having to be the one to wash dishes. 

I hope your evening is as lovely as mine!

IMG_0921.JPG

IMG_0923.JPG

5 minutes ago, DancingPhalanges said:

@catlady I need to hear more about sweet potato noodles! 

I cosign this. Tell me more. This dinner sounds delightful. 

Hi!  I can't take credit for the sweet potato noodles; I got them at the grocery store. They also have beet noodles and cauliflower rice.  Wegmans always has really good produce.  I just heated the olive oil and stirred them periodically for about eight minutes with a bit of poultry seasoning.  The tilapia was done the exact same way, but with Old Bay.  I steamed the broccoli with some pepper and cumin (I wanted Cajun seasoning, but we didn't have any).  My method is to just grab random jars from the spice rack.  Total prep time was about 15 minutes.

I also just noticed the use-by date on the noodles; I will prep the rest of them for the freezer after I do the dishes (yep, I lost that one because Mr keeps getting up to let the dog in and out).  I think I have to blanch them first, but the google will guide me.

IMG_0924.JPG

6 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

Oh it looks perfectly healthy and normal, especially for a couple their age. I just guess I would expect more from someone who spent their whole life learning the domestic arts. 

Here's a link to the cake stand if anyone's interested. (My mom collects jadeite)

https://www.amazon.com/Mosser-Jadeite-Cake-Stand-24010J/dp/B00367MYAI

And added to my wish list. Thanks

So are they as simple as noodle-ised sweet potatoes? I have a noodle cutter thingy I use for zucchini.

As an avowed aficionado of sweet potato fries this sounds delightful.

Yes, and less heavy than regular SP fries.  I like that they cook so fast; I'm kind of a lazy chef. 

I would never have thought to spiralize sweet potatoes! I only use mine for zucchini and not that often, I LOVE sweet potatoes!  I'm doing this asap. 

1 hour ago, catlady said:

Hello dearies!  It was a delightful Wednesday at our house on a date that has zero significance for us, so I decided to celebrate with a special dinner. I set the table with our red Fiesta ware that Mr.  CL bought for me on a business trip ten years ago. The tablecloth and napkins happened to be clean. Since it was a weeknight, we opted for sparkling grape juice instead of wine. 

Dinner consisted of tilapia and sweet potato noodles, both sautéed in olive oil. On the side were steamed fresh broccoli and homemade applesauce. We had picked the apples last October, and I canned it about a week afterwards (it was *not* a Maxwellian family affair ending with 120 quarts).  While I was monitoring the stove to ensure I didn't burn anything, Mr. CL barged in to ask if the chicken coop needed to be locked up for the night; it did, and he took care of it.  He's such a gem!!1!

We did not have dessert, as two members of our household are monitoring their blood sugar. 

The real fun will come later, where Mr. CL and I will have a contest to see who can come up with the best story for not having to be the one to wash dishes. 

I hope your evening is as lovely as mine!

IMG_0921.JPG

IMG_0923.JPG

I love your table. It's bright and warming, just the thing on a cold winter evening.

The food sounds yummy. I love Tilapia, also broccoli. Could you let us have your noodle recipe?

Thank you in advance. :wine:( for the weekend )

catlady I really need a post of outfit photos to go with that tbh. You fluttering your eyelashes, looking down at the sweet potato noodles.  You looking up lustily into the freezer. You demurely smiling, imagining the nonsense that would result if your headship tried to do the dishes (such humour!!).  You pretending to play with your hair as you set the table. You have someone around who will be delighted to take 10 million photos of you right?

I expect "Gabe" will be back any time soon.  I don't think she was joking with the gourmet meal, though I did briefly wonder if the meal getting cold while they were watching the sunset was a euphemism for other activities they could have been distracted by.

13 minutes ago, jozina said:

catlady I really need a post of outfit photos to go with that tbh. You fluttering your eyelashes, looking down at the sweet potato noodles.  You looking up lustily into the freezer. You demurely smiling, imagining the nonsense that would result if your headship tried to do the dishes (such humour!!).  You pretending to play with your hair as you set the table. You have someone around who will be delighted to take 10 million photos of you right?

I expect "Gabe" will be back any time soon.  I don't think she was joking with the gourmet meal, though I did briefly wonder if the meal getting cold while they were watching the sunset was a euphemism for other activities they could have been distracted by.

This made me laugh out loud!!  Especially the bit about staring lustily into the freezer!  Since I hate being photographed, I will describe my outfit of black yoga pants, purchased for a thrifty $10 at the Dollar General, a green tunic sweater that is genuinely flattering to my classic pear shape, and accessorized with silver tone hoop earrings and black moccasins complete with orthotic inserts. 

Dissapponting, yes?  Well, let's try this instead:  a floral print swing dress layered with a lime green cardigan to protect my arms from chill winter drafts and a matching camisole to demurely hide any hint of cleavage.  The skirt is pouffed by a pale pink crinoline while my 3" navy pumps coordinate with the background of the floral print and leave me in danger of dislocating a kneecap. The finishing touch is a 16" pearl choker and matching earrings. (I do actually own this outfit sans pumps and wear it to work now and then, crinoline and all.)

@Gobsmacked, the noodles are actually thin spiral cut sweet potatoes, easy peasy yum!

After working late, I'm picking up pizza and salad to take home and eat while we finish collecting star coins in Super Mario. I'm wearing a fetching mustard yellow wool pencil skirt, black cardigan, Dansko ankle boots, and a Columbia trench coat. (I am carrying my prized Zac Posen purse.) I'll have a glass of pinot with dinner and a canna-butter white chocolate pistachio cookie for dessert.  Yep, this type of post is dull no matter what.

I was pretty lazy tonight. Just ate a bagel with some peanut butter because I was too lazy/tired to cook (though I usually do, and when I do it's usually spicy chickpeas and veggies over couscous or salted oatmeal, again, because I'm lazy af). Wore a dark blue shirt-dress from H&M that has little stars printed on it, a dark green blazer, grey tights, and black riding boots (though tomorrow I'm going a little fancier because I'm going to a co-worker's surprise bachelorette dinner/karaoke party after work -- grey sheath dress with decorative zippers on it that I found at a consignment store, black tights, black ankle boots I got from clearance at Marshalls, grey blazer, and minimalist earrings I got from H&M).

I used the Instant Pot, oven and microwave to make dinner tonight. I made BBQ chicken wings, steamed broccoli and secret sauce. Woooo hooooo!  The wings were frozen solid when I threw them in the Instant Pot, so I set it for 12 minutes,  I love that thing! I used my plain white Correlle because little boys, and we ate with our hands.  No tablecloth tonight,  because BBQ sauce and little boys  

I was wearing a chambray trapeze dress with eggplant leggings. Which was actually cute, but I always feel like the dress is riding up in back.  Now, I am wearing a grey v-neck tee and very sexy oversized red and white polar bear fleece pajama pants. I feel so much more comfortable. 

I'm waiting for the wee folk to finally go to sleep(!!!) so I can eat ice cream without sharing. And in peace. Here comes one now. It is 34 minutes past bed time. Sigh. 

I made Cream of Spinach and Artichoke soup for dinner since we had a bunch of dairy products needing to be used up before they turned, and pretty much nothing else in the fridge. Was going to make muffalettas to go along side, but we had provolone and olive salad grilled cheese instead, since I forgot to check to see if the few slices of salami and coppa we had were good yet before I slathered olive salad on bread slices... they weren't! Dessert was a free-for-all on the Dove hearts in the candy dish on the coffee table while we watched comedies on ABC after dinner. Dinner was plated in/on clearance bowls and plates in cobalt from Pier One, on top of cherry red placemats in the breakfast nook (no formal dining room tonight!). Paper napkins from Vanity Fair (Costco multi-pack) were used.

Donned my pajamas all day. A saucy lavender scoop neck tee and polka-dotted black knit bermuda shorts, accented by bare feet just because. Will change into a new set after I take a bubble bath and before I slip into bed.

A simply delicious, home cooked peanut based curry for dinner for us tonight.  My headship is busy stirring it as I type.  I diced the onions, carefully selected and measured the spices, toasted them and have now combined them with an assortment of other ingredients.  We'll serve it with basmati rice and Greek yoghurt.

We will eat it off our usual retro 70s plates, while listening to  the dulcet tones of Blessing 1 and Blessing 2 arguing over who gets the Cars plate and who gets the robot plate (spoiler: they'll want what the other child has, no matter who ends up with what).  We will eat it at our magnificent antique table, with Ikea placemats underneath the plates.  It'll be paired with tap water.  Afterwards we'll have fruit for dessert and then I'll have a glass of wine before maybe my headship and I-well, get distracted by the sunset if you know what I mean. And then we'll get up tomorrow for another glorious chapter in Jozina's life.  It's library book day at school and I made some blueberry and banana muffins for morning tea just to whet your appetite for the excitement that lies beyond.

I am relaxing on the couch in an old nightie and a maternity bra (grey, covered in lint and so worn that the fabric is like whipped butter on my skin).  This time yesterday I was covered in two people's body fluids at work so the nightie really is an improvement.  Tomorrow I'm wearing my killer green Cue dress with heels.

I'm really happy to see that so many of us, while amateurs, write better food and fashion blog posts than a serious blogger. It's fun knowing that we all can make an ordinary evening this interesting! :) 

11 hours ago, desertvixen said:

@Flossie, so inquiring minds want to know - did she take the loss of pay or work on the weekend?

I have no idea.  I was only there to ask her manager to sign off on something so I was gone when she got back.  I suspect she took the pay loss, though.  She didn't seem the type to forego weekend plans.  I always avoided her.

On 2/15/2017 at 9:43 AM, ChunkyBarbie said:

But, but, but it was Spiced Salmon y'all! At least she can cook, I don't think most of the Duggar girls can cook. Tator tot casserole doesn't count. Blech. 

I want to add, I wasn't really snarking on the meal. It sounds and looked good. I think the best meals are quality  ingredients prepared simply. 

I'm sitting on my floor with hot tea and cranberries in powdered sugar (local snack that I absolutely love and can pretend it's healthy-ish). My dog is adorably snoring next to me, tired after her evening walk. Youtube is playing my favorite songs. I'm wearing black skinny jeans and dark blue sweater. At day I wore my favorite top, because that's always make things better. I'm also procrastinating on being productive, but I'll motivate myself with a delightful reward - an episode of a tv show. I just need to do that quickly so I can go to bed early. Tomorrow will be a long day, and I must get up around 5:30 am. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived