IGNORED

The Boyer Sisters, Part 3

samurai_sarah

Okay, time to put me in bitch corner, because I think Gabe needs to wait a few more years before attempting to grow a beard. 

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

More on Brigid's dress: even the dress itself, without the bright color, a two toned dress in that sillhouette is timeless and classic. I just love the streamlined looks of the 40s. So many wonderful details can be managed with seaming.

I saw the post from today with the "lumberjack" look. Loved it. So cute and appropriate for any woman. It's pretty, it's colorful, it's modest, and it's practical for a woman who likes working in the outdoors or indoors.

Brigid and Gabe took the time to dress up for Christmas. It's appreciated here. I don't find the stark contrast between the dressed up Eversons and the super casual Boyers to be too jarring, because I see it every year in my own family at Christmas (half the family goes everyday casual, think khaki shorts and casual polos even though it's maybe 75 degrees tops outside, and the other half dresses up, more or less to show off at church services). But Daddy Boyer's expression in that family photo is just too funny. 

Charlotte actually looks her age in the new Lumber Jane post. She's not weighed down with makeup, and it's a seasonally appropriate outfit. I actually really like the skinny belt with the tunic and hot damn! the sisters appreciate a good leather shoe! I almost want to break out of lurkdom and comment that I associate the lumberjack look with burly men sporting beards with their plaid, not just plaid posing next to logs. (*Insert non-respectable sexual objectification of said lumberjack men here*)

7 hours ago, charmedforsure said:

Brigid and Gabe took the time to dress up for Christmas. It's appreciated here. I don't find the stark contrast between the dressed up Eversons and the super casual Boyers to be too jarring, because I see it every year in my own family at Christmas (half the family goes everyday casual, think khaki shorts and casual polos even though it's maybe 75 degrees tops outside, and the other half dresses up, more or less to show off at church services). But Daddy Boyer's expression in that family photo is just too funny. 

I agree. It's pretty common to dress up for holidays around here as well (not for church, just because that's what you do. I had a stomach bug on Christmas Eve and still put on a dress and a cardigan, even though I was just on the couch or in the bathroom all day)

Wow, this time Jessica truly let her feelings be known... Seems my assessment might indeed be wrong. Apologies to all I wronged. 

They are so young, at their Age I was so mature - at least in my eyes. 

Gabriel, you need not answer, but did you two move to a new home or did she move to a home you owned beforehand? 

The Topic of schooling has become really relevant, since my Nephew is now old enough to join school. He is on the spectrum. I alway loved him.

@Gabe, I saw this article and immediately thought of you. See, it isn't that white men did all the stuff, it is that women and men who weren't white got shoved out of history and had their work stolen. This is what whitewashing means and you can't be a serious amateur historian who writes a worthwhile history curriculum if you are going to ignore whitewashing. 

http://www.cracked.com/article_23128_5-remarkable-women-who-got-totally-screwed-out-history.html

Look at these women who did amazing things and had their work stolen because they lacked a penis! Were these stories in all those 1000s of books you read? Were they in your encyclopedias? If they weren't, why do you think that was if it wasn't whitewashing of history? 

I wore these mittens to work today, and they made me think of @Gabe.  Was it @Palimpsest who coined the term "yeti pelt"?  After Gabe said he considered but rejected it as his user name, I've been hoping someone comes out of lurkdom and snaps it up. 

Gabe's yeti pelt is probably bigger than mine......

IMG_0753.JPG

3 hours ago, wikinggirl said:

I agree. It's pretty common to dress up for holidays around here as well (not for church, just because that's what you do. I had a stomach bug on Christmas Eve and still put on a dress and a cardigan, even though I was just on the couch or in the bathroom all day)

That's some dedication to the dress up cause. I commend you on your sartorial perseverance.

I wore these mittens to work today, and they made me think of @Gabe.  Was it @Palimpsest who coined the term "yeti pelt"?  After Gabe said he considered but rejected it as his user name, I've been hoping someone comes out of lurkdom and snaps it up. 

Gabe's yeti pelt is probably bigger than mine......

IMG_0753.JPG

THOSE ARE AWESOME. Holy crap on a cracker, where did you get those?

@charmedforsure, they were a gift and there is no tag, so i don't know where they came from.  but i just did a quick google for "fur mittens," and a bunch of options came up: faux at Target for $17 on up to real raccoon at Fur Hat World for $100, and rabbit at Nordstrom and Barneys.  GlacierWear and Moose-R-Us carry serious outdoor mittens; Moose-R-Us are made by the Ojibwe tribe.  mine seem to be in line with the Target variety, and they came with matching earmuffs.

1 hour ago, catlady said:

@charmedforsure, they were a gift and there is no tag, so i don't know where they came from.  but i just did a quick google for "fur mittens," and a bunch of options came up: faux at Target for $17 on up to real raccoon at Fur Hat World for $100, and rabbit at Nordstrom and Barneys.  GlacierWear and Moose-R-Us carry serious outdoor mittens; Moose-R-Us are made by the Ojibwe tribe.  mine seem to be in line with the Target variety, and they came with matching earmuffs.

I'm dying at the name Moose-R-Us. Someone definitely had a sense of humor in marketing. :pb_lol:

I think it is nice to dress up for the holidays, but not mandatory unless the host or hostess specifies.  Whenever we have a special occasion,  I always stress over what to wear and fear being underdressed. I don't know why.

Recently, I bought multiple dresses stressing out over a cocktail attire event. When we arrived at the event, I looked around and there were people wearing jeans and flip flops. This happens all the time!  

I don't know if it is a California thing or because we live in an agricultural area and people are much more casual here.  I do know, it isn't a money issue, which would be a different case . I think it rude to your host not to dress appropriately for the occasion. To the other guests too. 

:soapbox:

Oh, I'm in the overdressed category, too. People in my family view a dress or skirt- any dress or skirt- as "dressed-up." I wear a skirt or dress almost every day, regardless of the weather (my favorite is a black knee-length circle skirt- it has HUGE pockets. I can fit a bottle of Gentleman Jack in there. No lie.) I generally like the Boyer Sister's outfits, and I adored that velvet skirt and rust cardigan that was going on a few posts back. I appreciate @Gabe dressing up for Christmas. My grandfather would never leave the house without his tweed sport's coat and a tie. Never saw him wear a t-shirt or jeans in his life. I don't know, lots of people are afraid of dressing up nowadays. They think it can't be comfortable. But if I'm in a skirt, that means I don't have to wear pants :P

Of course, everyone should wear what they feel comfortable with. But my personal opinion is that "dressing up" for just everyday life can be a lot more comfortable and empowering than people think it is.

I consider my husband's khakis and pull over that he Wales daily as dressed up. I'm a jeans and tshirt kind of girl myself and only pull out the khakis when I'm hurt for laundry. 

Dressing up for holidays wouldn't be good for my family because half of us end up sitting on the floor. We're untrained casual. 

50 minutes ago, EmiGirl said:

I consider my husband's khakis and pull over that he Wales daily as dressed up. I'm a jeans and tshirt kind of girl myself and only pull out the khakis when I'm hurt for laundry. 

Dressing up for holidays wouldn't be good for my family because half of us end up sitting on the floor. We're untrained casual. 

I sit on the floor quite often. 

1 hour ago, MargaretElliott said:

Oh, I'm in the overdressed category, too. People in my family view a dress or skirt- any dress or skirt- as "dressed-up." I wear a skirt or dress almost every day, regardless of the weather (my favorite is a black knee-length circle skirt- it has HUGE pockets. I can fit a bottle of Gentleman Jack in there. No lie.) I generally like the Boyer Sister's outfits, and I adored that velvet skirt and rust cardigan that was going on a few posts back. I appreciate @Gabe dressing up for Christmas. My grandfather would never leave the house without his tweed sport's coat and a tie. Never saw him wear a t-shirt or jeans in his life. I don't know, lots of people are afraid of dressing up nowadays. They think it can't be comfortable. But if I'm in a skirt, that means I don't have to wear pants :P

Of course, everyone should wear what they feel comfortable with. But my personal opinion is that "dressing up" for just everyday life can be a lot more comfortable and empowering than people think it is.

One of my favorite things about wearing dresses is the no pants aspect. 

29 minutes ago, ChunkyBarbie said:

Same here. I also love getting to throw something on and not really worry about the outfit, except for accessories. People are like "you look so nice!" and I'm like "yes, I put zero thought into this whatsoever."

29 minutes ago, ChunkyBarbie said:

Yes!

I haven't worn pants in ten years and I love it. Dresses are so easy!

Jessica makes some comments at 5:55 that lead to believe that she may have been suffering from depression. Feeling dead inside, hating the world around her, being in the "depths of despair"--I've been through both break-ups and depression, and honestly this sounds more like depression to me than typical break-up-type feelings. Of course, this is internet speculation, I'm not diagnosing her with anything--but if I were to hear this in a professional capacity, I would think she needed to have been evaluated more fully.

3 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

Same, though for me it's mainly because on the weekends, I'm either going out to parties with my friends where I dress up a bit or I'm working out (which means workout clothes), and then Monday through Friday, I'm at an office job where even on Casual Friday, I have to look pulled together and nice. It sounds very restricting to some people, but I think it's let me become more creative with what I wear (because when I'm in casual clothes I'm usually just wearing a black v-neck, black jeans, and sneakers or ballet flats), and I have to think more about what I put on in the morning. Right now I'm basically dressing like a combination of Claire Underwood and Alyssa Webster, and when spring comes, I'm going to go all out with bright heels and swingy skirts. I generally like the Boyer Sisters' outfits, but I can't get too costumey at my workplace. An a-line skirt and Peter Pan collar here and there, but not full-on vintage.

We always play board games/basketball/soccer during holidays so dressing up is not a consideration. With that said, we do have certain events we have to attend so I wear yoga pants/t-shirts or nicer clothes whatever the situation requires.

I don't comment specifically on what people wear because it's a form of self-expression.

I found the links @formergothardite provided enlightening and helpful. There were others as well, so thank you  

And here's another. 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/28/us/lost-cause-trump/?iid=ob_homepage_10-test_featured_pool

This made me think and do some research. It's not unfamiliar to me but reading about it more does help me. 

8 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

Oh, I'm in the overdressed category, too. People in my family view a dress or skirt- any dress or skirt- as "dressed-up." @Gabe

I have no idea why Gabe is tagged here and I can't undo it. Sorry to summon you, though I missed that you considered Yeti Pelt as a user name until just now, so congrats on that. I appreciate that sort of humor.

As for overdressed, my husband says, "oh, I didn't know this event was formal," at least twice a week when he sees how I'm dressed to go somewhere. My family always dressed up a bit. My dad wore a sport coat and tie daily, my mom always wore dresses to work, though she was more casual at home. My husband's parents are a farmer, and a former Army nurse who spent 35 years in emergency medicine and then got a masters degree in geology (spends her retirement hunting interesting rocks and fossils). They dress practically, and very casually.

I've toned it down a bit since we live in my husband's rural agricultural community, but I can't go full casual all the time. My daughters would prefer to dress down for church, as everyone else here does, but I ask them to wear a dress or skirt. My sons wear dress pants and ties. Same goes for funerals, awards ceremonies, etc. Clean jeans are perfectly acceptable for almost anything except the prom here. At a recent awards program, one girl walked across the stage in jean shorts in the pre-ripped style, and some of the boys looked like they rolled out of bed right before the program. At the park I wouldn't bat an eye, but at an event where you go and shake someone's hand on a stage? I think it's a sign of respect to dress appropriately, though, so my kids will continue to do so regardless of community norms.

8 hours ago, DancingPhalanges said:

I found the links @formergothardite provided enlightening and helpful. There were others as well, so thank you  

And here's anothe

I love reading about stuff like that. I find it a bit odd that  @Gabe claims to be so interested in history that he feels he could write a history curriculum, yet doesn't want to discuss such an important part of history. The history of the creation of history is an essential part of studying the past. You can't just pretend it didn't happen. Well you can, but you end up with a shitty view of history. 

Charlotte's outfit is my version of dressing up. :laughing-jumpingpurple: Pretty sure I have a similar outfit. 

From @DancingPhalanges link:

It was an audacious historical cover-up -- to convince millions of Americans that what they'd just seen and heard hadn't really happened. It worked then, and some historians say it could work again with Trump.

Just think how history was changed!  It is really an amazing(and scary) thing how easy it is to whitewash history and then claim whitewashing never happened. 

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Just think how history was changed!  It is really an amazing(and scary) thing how easy it is to whitewash history and then claim whitewashing never happened. 

Gaslighting on a global scale. The scariest part being that it actually works. 

There's a new post up on the blog, 30 questions with Jessica. It feels like she's holding something back, but here are some of the answers that stood out to me. 

Her biggest weakness is pride.

One lesson God thought her in 2016 is forgiveness. 

She's terrified of psychological issues.

I can't but help to think along the lines of @ViolaSebastian, maybe she was suffering from depression? I also think 2016 just was a really tough year for her with the breakup and her younger sister getting married when she was the one that should have been married first. 

Another answer that stood out for me was that she indulges in podcasts. Not sweets or anything like that, but podcasts. I love podcasts, but I wouldn't call it indulging. I just listen to them instead of music.

3 hours ago, wikinggirl said:

There's a new post up on the blog, 30 questions with Jessica. It feels like she's holding something back, but here are some of the answers that stood out to me. 

Her biggest weakness is pride.

One lesson God thought her in 2016 is forgiveness. 

She's terrified of psychological issues.

I can't but help to think along the lines of @ViolaSebastian, maybe she was suffering from depression? I also think 2016 just was a really tough year for her with the breakup and her younger sister getting married when she was the one that should have been married first. 

Another answer that stood out for me was that she indulges in podcasts. Not sweets or anything like that, but podcasts. I love podcasts, but I wouldn't call it indulging. I just listen to them instead of music.

Maybe she sees podcasts like tv. I've heard plenty of people say they watch too much tv. They don't watch much tv do they?

50 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Maybe she sees podcasts like tv. I've heard plenty of people say they watch too much tv. They don't watch much tv do they?

I don't think they do. I just don't see tv and podcasts as the same thing because I can still move around when I listen to them, I listen on my commute and when I cook or clean. (Ok, pretty much all the time. I might actually have a podcast problem)

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived