IGNORED

The Boyer Sisters, Part 3

samurai_sarah

On 02/01/2017 at 7:31 PM, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

At our house we call them Doritos books. Nothing wrong with reading them occasionally, but they can't be the staple of your literary diet. My Doritos books used to be Nora Roberts, now Jennifer Crusie. The silly mystery/romance gets me every time; sorry, not sorry. 

Why not?

How does what someone reads (or doesn't read) different from any other hobby where people make choices etc based on likes?

I know plenty of people who never read outside of their field because they don't find reading enjoyable. I know people who read everything their field has to offer + loads for pleasure because they enjoy it.

Edit: Also, my mom has a TBI. She reads *very* slowly. She reads what she enjoys. She has no desire/need to read for literary pursuits. How is it wrong for her to read what she can and enjoys?

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, charmedforsure said:

Brigid became Mrs. Everson when she got married. But surname Everson doesn't have a tartan, so they use the MacIver tartan (source: www.kiltmakers.com). 

I see now that he wears the same one. For some reason I was remembering him wearing a blue one at the wedding so I was a bit confused.  

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

My Scottish heritage is on my mom's side so I wear the MacDonald of Keppoch tartan. 

Thanks for the clarification, although I said that surname Everson wears MacIver citing my source, not that @Gabe wears MacIver. Didn't want to assume that it was the right one, since plaids outside of buffalo check are way too complicated for me to stare at for so long without my eyes glazing over. Outside of the weaving process (which is beautiful and hypnotic), I definitely slept through the plaids unit in the textiles course I took a few years back. Damn 8:30 AM class times...

5 minutes ago, DaisyD said:

I see now that he wears the same one. For some reason I was remembering him wearing a blue one at the wedding so I was a bit confused.  

Other men in the wedding party wore either their own kilts or borrowed one of @Gabe's expansive collection (source: Gabe on FJ). Daddy Boyer wore a kilt that bore a muted blue/green motif (source: Boyer bloggerino). Definitely not as flashy as Gabe's getup (opinion: all mine!).

OH, Heavens! I am totally in LOVE with Brigid's entire outfit in the Christmas picture! It is SO totally Forties!! If I had her figure, I'd wear it in a trice!! 

(I do have a bit of a flair for the dramatic, and I guess I like to be noticed, but I would love this dress! AND the hat!)

Since the topic of homeschooling has come up quite a bit in this thread, would it be appropriate for me to ask how FJer's who homeschool do it? I am not a mom yet but when I become one I have thought about homeschooling due to my (hopeful) job as an opera singer. It would give my family a chance to stay together and travel with me. Kids are far away at this point but I am a bit curious. 

I was actually homeschool for 3/4 of my Sophmore year in high school via a school powered by K-12. It was an adjustment but enjoyable. 

Apologies if this isn't the right thread for the topic. 

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

OH, Heavens! I am totally in LOVE with Brigid's entire outfit in the Christmas picture! It is SO totally Forties!! If I had her figure, I'd wear it in a trice!! 

(I do have a bit of a flair for the dramatic, and I guess I like to be noticed, but I would love this dress! AND the hat!)

It really was lovely. I loved the hat too.  I really wish modern Americans dressed better. I'm guilty of jeans and a tee shirt on occasion, but I always try to have good shoes and a quality handbag, plus a cardigan or jewelry to avoid looking schleppy, but I realize that not everyone shares my opinion, nor do they need to share it.

I love Daddy Boyer in that picture! He reminds me of my own dad. He wouldn't put up with matching any bright plaid clothing. He's going to wear what he likes and that's it! 

I'm also reading between the lines of Jessica's post and I still see the bitterness and jealousy of Brigid. I'm now fully in the camp that Brigid didn't do shit to her sister and it was all in Jessica's head. Most likely out of the lasting hurt of her broken engagement and her jealousy and bitterness of Brigid's happy marriage. I applaud Jessica for being honest about the turmoil in the relationship but she needs to be honest about her major part in it. I say this because I know Jessica reads here (she's already changed bows to boughs). Mark my words, there will be more ups and downs if Brigid gets pregnant before Jessica (which is more likely since she's the one that's married). Jessica needs to own her feelings and Brigid is just living her life. She isn't doing it to spite Jessica. 

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I love Daddy Boyer in that picture! He reminds me of my own dad. He wouldn't put up with matching any bright plaid clothing. He's going to wear what he likes and that's it! 

I'm also reading between the lines of Jessica's post and I still see the bitterness and jealousy of Brigid. I'm now fully in the camp that Brigid didn't do shit to her sister and it was all in Jessica's head. Most likely out of the lasting hurt of her broken engagement and her jealousy and bitterness of Brigid's happy marriage. I applaud Jessica for being honest about the turmoil in the relationship but she needs to be honest about her major part in it. I say this because I know Jessica reads here (she's already changed bows to boughs). Mark my words, there will be more ups and downs if Brigid gets pregnant before Jessica (which is more likely since she's the one that's married). Jessica needs to own her feelings and Brigid is just living her life. She isn't doing it to spite Jessica. 

I was wondering if she was messing with FJ, since @Gabe pointed out they like to do so on their blog. It just seemed too weird to be real. 

3 minutes ago, ChunkyBarbie said:

I was wondering if she was messing with FJ, since @Gabe pointed out they like to do so on their blog. It just seemed too weird to be real. 

I think Gabe and the girls use that as a defense mechanism. "Oh hahahaha! We are just messing with them!" Anytime their behavior is called out. I'm guessing a large amount of what they write is in fact true and they are that dramatic. 

1 hour ago, freedom_for_all said:

Since the topic of homeschooling has come up quite a bit in this thread, would it be appropriate for me to ask how FJer's who homeschool do it?

Not sure if there's a thread for it, but maybe there should be if not. If you are able to do any amount of research and critical thinking, you are capable of searching the many online resources for homeschool curriculum (or public school books, or university open classes and books, etc) to find what you want for your child. If you don't want to do all of that, there are still options like K12, both public and private, and private distance ed type courses and entire schools.

Making sure you devote appropriate time to education and knowing where to go for help if a topic is beyond what you can do are the critical pieces, in my opinion. That, and ensuring your child learns to write well, being able to make a point, back it up with evidence, summarize, etc. It's a problem for many public school kids, as well, but homeschoolers don't tend to write many graded essays on a rubric, so I've noticed a deficit there. (Source: I get paid to teach writing to homeschoolers.)

50 minutes ago, ChunkyBarbie said:

It really was lovely. I loved the hat too.  I really wish modern Americans dressed better. I'm guilty of jeans and a tee shirt on occasion, but I always try to have good shoes and a quality handbag, plus a cardigan or jewelry to avoid looking schleppy, but I realize that not everyone shares my opinion, nor do they need to share it.

I, too, wish fancier clothes were more common. I always have a nice handbag, good shoes, plus jewelry. Even with jeans, which I usually pair with a frillier top, not a t-shirt. My community is quite casual, even for business, church, and special events. A hat, other than a western style, would cause everyone in the town to stare at me oddly. Actually, once, I walked in to a restaurant for lunch with friends, and someone said, "oh, I though that was a movie star for a second." I was wearing an Old Navy wool pea coat, oversized sunglasses, dark skinny jeans, and boots from Target.

ETA: Just looked at the sisters' blog about the holidays. Mantel and boughs are correctly spelled now. Congrats, sisters, on recognizing and correcting errors. I mean that non-snarkily. Too many people are willing to wallow in terrible communication or say it doesn't really matter.

4 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think Gabe and the girls use that as a defense mechanism. "Oh hahahaha! We are just messing with them!" Anytime their behavior is called out. I'm guessing a large amount of what they write is in fact true and they are that dramatic. 

Good point.  The passage is so bizarre, I thought it had to be a punk. So, were Brigid and @Gabe bride-and-groom-zillas or did Jessica resent their happiness or something?  I don't expect @Gabe to answer, he can't without stepping on toes, but Jessica put it out there so I am curious.   

It did seem like the Christmas post will filled with subtle little digs at both Brigid and Gabe. How the couple has "come down from cloud nine", how no one knew how Christmas would be with the new couple since the families had their "ups and downs" in their relationships since the wedding. How 2016 was so terrible. How the girls appreciate their mom cooking and look forward to following in her footsteps but "Brigid doesn't count". 

To me the post seemed to really try to keep Brigid down as just one of the girls, instead of recognizing her position in life as a new wife and a homemaker. Why doesn't Brigid count as a cook, like her mom? The post later went on to say that she made the Christmas pudding (and also subtly pointed out that Gabe didn't like it). There was a beautiful photo of Brigid with her two sisters, but none of just her and Gabe. 

I've lived through siblings getting married and honestly, we barely thought about how our holidays would be affected. We didn't suffer through wondering if our holidays would be ruined because of the new in law. No biggie.  

The whole post just seemed very bitter, cloaked in overdone cheerfulness. 

And it's very superficial but I really don't like Jessica's hairstyle. It really ages her IMO. Brigid looks sparkling and beautiful and happy and Charlotte is rocking those skinny jeans. 

Just now, MakeitSew said:

It did seem like the Christmas post will filled with subtle little digs at both Brigid and Gabe. How the couple has "come down from cloud nine", how no one knew how Christmas would be with the new couple since the families had their "ups and downs" in their relationships since the wedding. How 2016 was so terrible. How the girls appreciate their mom cooking and look forward to following in her footsteps but "Brigid doesn't count". 

"Brigid Doesn't count was specifically referencing the following in mom's footsteps by making their own holiday food traditions. She didn't count because she didn't make the meal. You guys read waay too much into this.

Just now, MakeitSew said:

To me the post seemed to really try to keep Brigid down as just one of the girls, instead of recognizing her position in life as a new wife and a homemaker. Why doesn't Brigid count as a cook, like her mom? The post later went on to say that she made the Christmas pudding (and also subtly pointed out that Gabe didn't like it). There was a beautiful photo of Brigid with her two sisters, but none of just her and Gabe. 

It's the Boyer Sisters Blog Of course they will post a photo of the sisters. They took many of just the two of us, but didn't post them just like they rarely (if ever?) post a photo of Mr and Mrs Boyer.

On 12/28/2016 at 2:45 PM, formergothardite said:

What do you think whitewashing is? Do you think it has been a problem in history? To you, is saying that the KKK was an organization that helped the poor and needy whitewashing? Is leaving out the non-white, non-men historical figures whitewashing to you? Is downplaying slavery whitewashing in your opinion? 

I'm going to quote myself just in case Gabe didn't want to search back through several pages to find it. I'm interested in finding out what he views as whitewashing or if he thinks it actually exists. 

As for Jessica, it is clear she had an extremely hard time accepting she wasn't going to be the first to marry and I'm not exactly sure she is 100% over her disappointment. Her childhood dream died and she gets to watch her sister do all the things she thought she was going to do. 

I read this article today and thought of Gabe's claim that there needs to be no more government oversight of homeschoolers. 

https://www.responsiblehomeschooling.org/natalie-finns-death-points-to-lack-of-homeschool-oversight-in-iowa/

This is far from the first case where homeschooling has contributed to the concealment of child abuse,” said Rachel Coleman, executive director of the Coalition for Responsible Home Education (CRHE). “Natalie’s death is part of a larger pattern.” CRHE was founded in 2013 by homeschool alumni in order to advocate for homeschooled children..

In a 2014 study of child torture, Barbara Knox of the University of Wisconsin found that 47% of the school-aged child torture cases she examined involved children who had been enrolled in school and were later removed to be homeschooled. According to Knox, this homeschooling “appears to have been designed to further isolate the child” and “typically occurred after closure of a previously opened CPS case.” As Knox noted, this isolation “was accompanied by an escalation of physically abusive events.”

However, Iowa allows parents to homeschool even when they have been repeatedly reported to child protective services. Because there are no background checks for homeschool parents, even those previously convicted of violent crimes, sexual assault, or child abuse are permitted to homeschool.

Iowa’s defunct homeschooling requirements may have saved 11-year-old Sarah Neely’s life a decade ago; when Neely’s father began canceling their meetings, her supervising teacher made a report to the police. Neely was found locked in an empty room, thirty pounds underweight.

4 hours ago, kassie said:

Why not?

How does what someone reads (or doesn't read) different from any other hobby where people make choices etc based on likes?

I know plenty of people who never read outside of their field because they don't find reading enjoyable. I know people who read everything their field has to offer + loads for pleasure because they enjoy it.

Edit: Also, my mom has a TBI. She reads *very* slowly. She reads what she enjoys. She has no desire/need to read for literary pursuits. How is it wrong for her to read what she can and enjoys?

Oh, I'm very sorry, I meant that within the context of my family. It's a rule that we can't just read whatever our personal Doritos books are. We homeschool and my children are expected to read a much broader menu of books than what I consider "easy" fiction. So for me, that's books like the ones by Jennifer Crusie. For one of my children, that's feel-good animal stories with sub-par writing. 

My mom rarely reads, and I have never seen my dad read a whole book in my entire life. He never enjoyed reading even while young, and now he says he does so much paperwork every day that he couldn't bear to spend his free time reading. To each his own. 

And obviously, I was not implying that someone with a brain injury is wrong for reading books that work for them. I'm so glad your mom has found enjoyable books! 

34 minutes ago, MakeitSew said:

I've lived through siblings getting married and honestly, we barely thought about how our holidays would be affected. We didn't suffer through wondering if our holidays would be ruined because of the new in law. No biggie.  

The whole post just seemed very bitter, cloaked in overdone cheerfulness. 

And it's very superficial but I really don't like Jessica's hairstyle. It really ages her IMO. Brigid looks sparkling and beautiful and happy and Charlotte is rocking those skinny jeans. 

I agree, I want any newlyweds in our family to be on cloud nine. We have a newly engaged couple in our family. The entire family is thrilled for them. We love listening to their plans.

If Jessica isn't bitter and resentful, she should reexamine her tone when writing. I wasn't pulling my concerns and opinions out of thin air. I was basing them on what I read. 

I rather enjoy the tone from Jessica. May she continue to not keep entirely sweet if she doesn't feel like it. :562479514c500_32(1):

34 minutes ago, SoybeanQueen said:

I rather enjoy the tone from Jessica. May she continue to not keep entirely sweet if she doesn't feel like it. :562479514c500_32(1):

Lol, true!  I hate the whole notion of keeping sweet. Well, rock on then Jessica. :my_blush: Last sentence is a little tongue in cheek. I respect  her right to own her feelings, but not at Brigid's expense. 

I just looked at that pic of the family at Christmas and nearly laughed out loud. I'm not making fun, at all, but their dad's expression is killing me. My husband does that same "kill me now" look in family photos. I think it may be genetic, because his sisters both do it, too. Sort of like Chandler's engagement photos on Friends.

3 minutes ago, SoybeanQueen said:

I'm fine with her not keeping sweet. She can write however she wants and she's entitled to her feeling. But I have a lot of empathy for Brigid in this situation since I was the Brigid and my older sister was the Jessica a few times in our lives. If I ever did anything first, my sister was not happy for me and it sucked. 

2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I'm fine with her not keeping sweet. She can write however she wants and she's entitled to her feeling. But I have a lot of empathy for Brigid in this situation since I was the Brigid and my older sister was the Jessica a few times in our lives. If I ever did anything first, my sister was not happy for me and it sucked. 

That I can understand. My family background changes how I see certain situations, too. I was the oldest, but I wouldn't have been allowed to express any frustration with anyone else the way Jessica seems to be doing (whether it's true or not). So I read it and think, "let it out, honey!"

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That is what really bothers me, the publicness of it all. Jessica is entitled to her feelings, but so is Brigid.  She is a newlywed and should be delighted and excited for her new life. If Jessica has resentments she should learn to deal with it without hurting anyone in the process.  

2 hours ago, MakeitSew said:

There was a beautiful photo of Brigid with her two sisters, but none of just her and Gabe. 

To be fair, there's a candid shot of Brigid serving Gabe the Christmas pudding. (@Gabe--assuming the ladies represented your opinion correctly, I'm with you--Christmas pudding does not sound like something I'd enjoy.)

I have no opinion on Jessica's hair--not a style I could pull off at all (I've got no volume), so more power to her for attempting it in the first place. However, yes a million times to sparkly Brigid and holy-cutie Charlotte. Seriously--Charlotte's whole look is awesome--age appropriate, stylish, and "modest" (I hate using that word for clothes--real modesty is more about character, but I digress...).

More on Brigid's dress: even the dress itself, without the bright color, a two toned dress in that sillhouette is timeless and classic. I just love the streamlined looks of the 40s. So many wonderful details can be managed with seaming.

I saw the post from today with the "lumberjack" look. Loved it. So cute and appropriate for any woman. It's pretty, it's colorful, it's modest, and it's practical for a woman who likes working in the outdoors or indoors.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived