IGNORED

Sierra: Loving God Into Existence Through Her Husband

choralcrusader8613

@MadeItOut I'm with you, a few unnecessary (and also missing) commas in there too. But you know she is just SO EXCITED!1!11!! maybe she didn't bother to check?

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

At risk of being taken for a total grammar nut, which I swear I'm usually not, I do think that when you're asking people to part with their money, then you owe it to them, to yourself, and to your product to at least get the product description right. I don't care how amazing a product it may be, I'm not parting with my theoretical $45 for "chocolates" dipped anything, nor anything for "mother's" day. 

I know in the grand scheme of things they're little, finicky things, but in there somewhere is an enterprising lady. All she really needs is a friend prepared to proofread for her.

No, I agree with you. I studied linguistics, I am all about descriptive grammar, English as a lingua franca, all of that, but guess what? If you want to take people's money or get a credential of some sort or convince someone to give you a job, you offer a polished, proofread product. Following the rules of grammar may be stuffy and stodgy and have all sorts of baggage attached to it, but following those rules takes effort, and showing that you are following them shows effort. It shows that you give a shit. It's like clothes: yes, theoretically you should be able to get that plum job at Goldman Sachs if you show up to the interview in sweatpants, but it looks like you didn't care. Putting on a suit and combing your hair says "I'm taking this seriously and I give a shit". It's the same thing with proofreading your content. It's all about giving a shit.

23 minutes ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

@MadeItOut I'm with you, a few unnecessary (and also missing) commas in there too. But you know she is just SO EXCITED!1!11!! maybe she didn't bother to check?

I'm probably just as bad with commas, but I do try. The crucial difference though is, if it's in any way important writing, I have a few friends who will be that fresh pair of eyes for me and vice versa. It definitely makes a difference.

...probably should point out: not that it isn't important writing, but no-one proofs what I write in here. Here is different.

6 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

...probably should point out: not that it isn't important writing, but no-one proofs what I write in here. Here is different.

And, you're not trying to sell us overpriced crap! :D 

I admit to missing apostrophes sometimes (I don't think there is one in that case?), but I cringed when one of my brothers set up his business without an apostrophe.  Davids Auto (name changed for privacy) is still going 30 years later, which is an achievement, but I wish he'd put the apostrophe in!

4 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

And, you're not trying to sell us overpriced crap! :D 

True. I have skills, but selling really isn't one of them.

3 minutes ago, Karma said:

I admit to missing apostrophes sometimes (I don't think there is one in that case?), but I cringed when one of my brothers set up his business without an apostrophe.  Davids Auto (name changed for privacy) is still going 30 years later, which is an achievement, but I wish he'd put the apostrophe in!

I could be wrong, but isn't "mother's day" as she has it for one lucky lady only, versus mothers' as plural possessive?

51 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

True. I have skills, but selling really isn't one of them.

I could be wrong, but isn't "mother's day" as she has it for one lucky lady only, versus mothers' as plural possessive?

I thought the same thing.  I literally just sent my mom's stuff apparently with a grammatically incorrect card. 

Sorry Sierra, Shari's Berries has you beat and they have a satisfaction guarantee. $45? Nope!

Is there a picture? Do people know what their $45 is getting them?

5 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Grammarphobia has put in the legwork and has come to the conclusion it's mother's day.

http://grammarphobia.com/blog/2013/05/mothers-day.html

Wow that is so cool. Thanks for the link.

I'd love to know which 3 British dictionaries they checked now (can sense some obsessive looking up coming on - thank everything it's a work day and I can't), as that's fascinating.

Oh how wonderful it will be when out here there's separation of church and state too - like the US and France. In Britain it's some subtle colour in the back of things, out here in Ireland... it's just nuts. Only yesterday Mr MIO + me signed a petition to repeal the anti-blasphemy law. I was shocked we even have one, but apparently someone used it to make a complaint about the interview Gay Byrne did with Stephen Fry.

8 hours ago, Karma said:

To be fair, Tim Hortons used to be Tim Horton's, but that's by design to circumvent the bilingual signage regulations in Quebec (they'd have to have signs that said "De Tim Horton" or something to that effect of equal size) and have common signage across Canada.

I'm actually wondering if she didn't buy the cookies at cost herself and this is a solo venture. The cookie lady doesn't appear to be advertising this "deal" at all.

Here is the product:

IMG_4061.JPG

In germany we have this "double s" or "ß" dilemma. I am very aware of the rules when to use which version, the rules are not very complicated. I get furious every! time I see an official! sign with that special mistake. Inofficial signs make me mad too, but official signs or letters ....ggggrrrrrrrrr yes give a shit and take a short look in your dictionary! For heaven's sake!!! Call me a nitpicking nerd - I am proud of it. For example the word street in german is written Straße, and definitely not Strasse. But so many streetname signs are wrong! So. Many. Wrong. Signs... Too. Many. 

I will hug a rescue ferret to calm down.

Based on @HideousGreenShirt's photo, I wonder how she's packing them for shipment. After the glass-shard jarcake fiasco, I can only imagine what her customers will find when they open the box.

Her Insta post says to email for pickup instructions.  Presumably they'd have to be kept refrigerated, and strawberries have a limited life anyway, so shipping across the US is probably not a good idea.

Mind you, shipping cake in glass jars without padding wasn't a good idea either.  At least she's learnt that lesson.

But $45? Wow.

It's pretty. Definitely not worth $45, in my opinion. My question is though, will the cookie taste good? 

So $45 for 12 chocolate strawberries and one cookie? Even if they were organic and the cookie was properly packed I would not buy this. 

The cookie seems so out of place. She should have used the aqua/coral colors as the strawberries' drizzle to tie it all in and look cohesive. 

Those aren't even large strawberries. What a ripoff. 

Fun fact: When I was pregnant last year I had a thing for those hard-iced sugar cookies like the cookie lady makes. I don't think the point of them are to be particularly delicious, but pregnant me would make my husband drive around till we found a place that had them (Starbucks usually does) and then he'd lowkey judge me while I went all Emma Stone in Easy A.

Spoiler

1447694597_AridScaredBlacknorwegianelkhound.gif.92e57e5d4d8e5f36a0626e4d9ff68a7b.gif

Predictably, Sam's is the location you have to go to pick up your order. Why would people spend their money on this? Don't most grocery stores have chocolate dipped strawberries? Also her photo is misleading as that is way more than a dozen strawberries.

I am bewildered!

28 minutes ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

Predictably, Sam's is the location you have to go to pick up your order. Why would people spend their money on this? Don't most grocery stores have chocolate dipped strawberries? Also her photo is misleading as that is way more than a dozen strawberries.

I am bewildered!

Not even the grocery store. For not very much money, you could buy a box of strawberries, melt a bag of chocolate chips in the microwave, and make Gourmet Chocolates Dipped Strawberries yourself for like $10 or likely way less, depending on the seasonality of the berries and how good your chocolate is.

very true, @nastyhobbitses!  i've made them before; they're very easy.  granted, i don't decorate them beyond using nonpareils, but i spend about $30 on supplies and end up with at least 6 dozen.  

and Sierra would probably not let me choose not to have white chocolate.  i despise white chocolate.

@nastyhobbitses oh absolutely! But for those who are too lazy/busy/bad at making stuff... I just cannot believe anybody is willing to pay $45 for this just because it was put together by a Duggar hanger-on.

My mom and I have a baking business (small, mainly food festivals and farmers markets, some wholesale) and we do everything by the book. We are super aware of regulations and inspections and will check in with our local food inspector for advice etc.

I know that this is her hobby because she is busy birthing her warriors and selling her MLM makeup but her reckless attitude and lack of standards bugs me. 

14 minutes ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

@nastyhobbitses oh absolutely! But for those who are too lazy/busy/bad at making stuff... I just cannot believe anybody is willing to pay $45 for this just because it was put together by a Duggar hanger-on.

My mom and I have a baking business (small, mainly food festivals and farmers markets, some wholesale) and we do everything by the book. We are super aware of regulations and inspections and will check in with our local food inspector for advice etc.

I know that this is her hobby because she is busy birthing her warriors and selling her MLM makeup but her reckless attitude and lack of standards bugs me. 

Maybe she can market the inevitable E. Coli as a weight loss tool. You, YES, YOU can eat nothing but cupcakes in jars and chocolate covered strawberries and lose weight FAST!!!11!!!!

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived