IGNORED

Sierra: Loving God Into Existence Through Her Husband

choralcrusader8613

Sierra looks like an uncool 30-year-old hanging out with high schoolers, who only keep her around so she can purchase alcohol for them.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

Sierra looks like an uncool 30-year-old hanging out with high schoolers, who only keep her around so she can purchase alcohol for them.

The picture kind of makes me wonder something. Do fundie girls sometimes have more of a "young and fun" experience with their friends after they are married? I inly ask because they are so sheltered and smothered with rules when they live at home. Although their husbands are supposed to be their headship, they must have more freedom once they are married. Especially before they have kids. It must be true in Jessa's case since Ben doesn't seem like much of a headship and Jessa can just drop Spud off at the TTH whenever she pleases. 

1 hour ago, nickelodeon said:

But Sierra is 26 and Jessa is 24?  But I know what you mean, Sierra looks about 5 years older than her age and the bestie story with Joy was weird, 26 and 19 is a bit... weird....

I finally watched this movie in order to judge the context and intent for myself. Needless to say, it's a product of its time, 1949.

Here is the set up. Two grown sisters, one sensible and the other sex-crazed. The Central "South American" water polo team is in town and hot to trot sister Betty wants to, ahem, score. Mature and successful fashion swimsuit designer Eve tries to rein her in. In a case of mistaken identity, Betty starts dating a man she thinks is named Jose O'Rourke. Eve tracks down the real Jose and demands that he not date Betty, but of course he doesn't know what she's talking about. Being a casanova, he makes a deal with Eve: he won't date her sister if Eve herself will go out with him.

Eve grudgingly accepts; meanwhile, Betty goes on a date with "Jose." Here's where Baby, it's cold outside comes in.

As Jose and Eve's date is winding down, we get the "I really can't stay" "but baby it's cold outside" spiel. She is the sensible sister, after all, and I definitely picked up some ambivalence in her delivery and choreography. And he does pressure her in a good natured way, if that's possible. But worrying her parents and family should be a nonissue, because there wasn't any implication in the movie that she lives at home, or even keeps in touch with her parents. So is she making excuses, or am I wrong to assume she lives on her own?

What's especially strange to me is that the weather had been fine on their date, and Jose had said it was summer immediately before the song started. More evidence that it's all a pretext to protect her reputation, or just sloppy writing? 

The best part, and what I never knew, is that the second half of the song is performed by Betty and "Jose," and Betty is the aggressor. Exact same lyrics, with a few tweaks for gender. I thoroughly enjoyed this rendition and it would be fun to hear a modern version with the roles reversed. 

I'm actually still on the fence about the song overall, because it's not really okay to pressure anyone, regardless of gender, and it's also not okay for society to judge a woman for where she spends the night. I guess I'm just glad things have changed so much since 1949.

Here's the original version of the song, taken from the movie.

Very interesting.

Oddly enough, youtube suggested a video to me the other day....and it was a weird version of the song with the roles reversed. It was weird because it was for some Muppet Christmas thing, I think. And it was Lady Gaga and Joseph Gordon Levitt. 

I heard a theory awhile back that bother people in the song want to be with each other, but they're pretending to be sly. 

Sierra and Kristen seem to be closer than her and Jessa. I feel like Sierra is desperate to get photos with Jessa because of her moderate fame and then post them on Instagram to show how "close" they are. 

21 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Kristen: "HELP! Get me AWAY from these Duggars and their sycophants!"

Ah, don't we all just wish thats what she were thinking? Hell...Kristen herself may qualify as a Duggar sycophant, Jessa and Bin have mentioned Tacos4Life a few times before...

On 12/23/2016 at 3:23 AM, wikinggirl said:

I agree that it looks weird, but the tacos4life lady posted a picture from the same "session". 

I had a brief confusing moment here when I thought she was calling their "tribe" NWA, like the rap group.

Also I've never heard anyone say "Typical." like that without it being meant as an insult. "Typical. Here we are just sitting around trying to look cute and candid but actually looking awkward and posed and annoying."

Actual candid photos can be quite funny. The ones where you are posing in an attempt to be candid usually end up looking, well like those...awkward and strange.

On 12/23/2016 at 5:05 PM, season of life said:

I heard a theory awhile back that bother people in the song want to be with each other, but they're pretending to be sly. 

FWIW, this has always been my interpretation of the song. That the woman actually wants to be there but is putting up lame excuses because she "should" and can't give in easily. 

13 hours ago, sparklymagie said:

FWIW, this has always been my interpretation of the song. That the woman actually wants to be there but is putting up lame excuses because she "should" and can't give in easily. 

I agree and much prefer the original version of the song, but there is a new version that was released this year, for those interested:

http://blog.thecurrent.org/2016/12/video-lydia-liza-and-josiah-lemanski-sing-their-new-baby-its-cold-outside-in-the-current-studio/

Jessa's expressions look fairly natural and spontaneous in those two pictures.  I wonder what her real laugh sounds like compared to that horrible fake laugh she uses on the show.

On 12/23/2016 at 2:05 PM, season of life said:

Sierra and Kristen seem to be closer than her and Jessa. I feel like Sierra is desperate to get photos with Jessa because of her moderate fame and then post them on Instagram to show how "close" they are. 

Jessa is only close to people when she appears on film.   Otherwise it's all about the TTH and Spud 

not much even about Ben that much. 

Sierra is desperate and the tacos 4 life lady made a smart decision and is leaving.  

On 12/21/2016 at 2:30 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Sierra really does just let it all hang out doesn't she? I'm starting to feel bad for her husband and kids. Poo diaper explosions... petty arguments.... what's next? 

She and J-Rod should team up and write that tell-all. Neither of them seem to be able to keep private things, well... private. :evil-laugh:

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

Sierra's Mom is super organized. Whoa! 

I wonder if her kids are like mine: wouldn't sit down an color if I paid them to... but if someone else put out crayons they'd happily color got hours.

Ugh, Sierra is such a try-hard. Every time she posts anything it seems like she has to make it a Big Deal with a MESSAGE. Just calm yo ass down, girl.

Also check the paper plates in her latest Instagram (with super well-balanced meal).

Agree with above posters who are expecting an imminent laundry room meltdown and/or pregnancy announcement.

I don't have a problem with an unhealthy meal sometimes or letting the kid pick something weird. But the whole nuts for super young kids makes me nervous.

16 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I don't have a problem with an unhealthy meal sometimes or letting the kid pick something weird. But the whole nuts for super young kids makes me nervous.

Just curious, what age would be ok to introduce nuts to children? I have no children (or allergies) so I have no experience.

The allergy side of things is debatable. Science doesn't really know yet, I don't think.

But there are certain foods that are considered choking hazards. Things like hot dogs and grapes that aren't cut properly. Whole nuts fall into that category. Most 'experts' say not to give them to kids until after age 4. Some say even older. I think it's a  "better safe than sorry" kind of situation.

12 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

The allergy side of things is debatable. Science doesn't really know yet, I don't think.

But there are certain foods that are considered choking hazards. Things like hot dogs and grapes that aren't cut properly. Whole nuts fall into that category. Most 'experts' say not to give them to kids until after age 4. Some say even older. I think it's a  "better safe than sorry" kind of situation.

That is so interesting. I've read of some parents cutting grapes up to reduce choking risk. My boyfriend's family found out he was allergic because they put peanut butter on his eczema. 

I hate seeing parents give very young children whole grapes. My brother does it and I cringe every time. I'm paranoid like that. 

My son never wanted to try peanut butter. He would gag at even the tiny bit.  He even gagged when I would eat it and he could see it. I did get him to eat a peanut butter cookie at age 1 (that was his first introduction to peanut butter.) Then a few times he ate a mini-reeses peanut butter cup. But he was never a fan. I kept trying to get him to eat it because peanut butter sandwiches are so easy. Then earlier this year I got him to eat a cracker with a thin layer of peanut butter. He got very blotchy red skin. And he kept doing this weird gaggy thing for about an hour after. Maybe like his throat itched or something. (He's 3 and doesn't talk so it's hard to say.) So we had him tested. Yep...peanut allergy. I wonder if it's because he just didn't have enough peanut butter in his first three years or what. 

There seem to be way more peanut butter allergies than in the past. I would love to know why, as people have been eating peanut butter for ever. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived