IGNORED

Whitney and Zach Bates- Part 2

samurai_sarah

On January 24, 2017 at 9:26 AM, ophelia said:

Thank you, @RosyDaisy

Did she? I don't know. But it would actually be a decent move. Not what I expected from her.

Not to defend the bates. But they never specifically said that each spouse their children choose must allow the number of children they have up to God, like pa Keller did with pecan thief. They seem to not expect certain kids to have a quiverful. I'm not sure what is behind the scenes but Jim bobs literally constantly said "be fruitful and multiple". Again, I'm sure Gil and Kelly feel that way but they know it's unrealistic. When asked who would have the most kids she said probably not Chad and Erin because of health reasons, no to Alyssa, and said maybe tori and Michael. 

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We actually know so little about these people... but I don't think it is super easy for the kids in these families to be totally different on camera vs. off (it may be for Gil and Kelly b/c they decided to do this). I am SURE they show us only the best versions of their family life, but I do have a hard time believing that Whitney is super harsh. She didn't grow up with the IBLP brand of training and she doesn't have eleventy kids yet. Once she has a litter of them, lets see.

I don't think Chad & Erin are done having kids either... especially because the second pregnancy appeared so much easier than the first. I do think there is a 'danger zone' at about 6 months where you stop breast feeding but don't take other action quickly enough, and maybe that is what happened for them... maybe they did think about NFP but didn't get on the same page fast enough. That said, I think they could have 4-5 before the doctor really put his foot down. A lot of people are on heperin and the like for long periods of time. Even after that, at best they would NFP and there could be a couple more 'oops' babies. 

4 hours ago, Exjw2015deed said:

Not to defend the bates. But they never specifically said that each spouse their children choose must allow the number of children they have up to God, like pa Keller did with pecan thief. They seem to not expect certain kids to have a quiverful. I'm not sure what is behind the scenes but Jim bobs literally constantly said "be fruitful and multiple".

Not defending them either, and certainly not trying to start a who's better war (because they all suck) but I do feel then Gil and Kelly are sincere about their married kids making their own rules. I think in general it's fair to say my house, my rules (non fundies do this, just less strict rules and no security cameras). I think JB&M say haha you can choose your own rules...but they better match ours ! I think Gil and Kelly respect that the married ones are adults and can make their own life decisions. I think Jim Bob wants to maintain all the control he can.

On 1/28/2017 at 1:07 PM, just_ordinary said:

I found it weird when she requested him to say "..., Mam." I get that it is a way of showing respect in USA/South USA but she is his mother. 

I thought you would not use it for parents or siblings. Feels so strange to me...

I think it is ridiculous but its still pretty big to insist on that formality in certain circles here.... I think it's kind of a redneck tell to be honest.  Sorta country come to town.  JMO 

i think most educated/well mannered people know that they can be courteous and respectful without using sexist or antiquated honorifics.

Well, that's how we do things down here. We consider it respectful unless told to do otherwise.

I say it.  It's how I was raised,   Just noting it doesn't seem to be de rigeur anymore among the citified.  Obvi there is a difference between educated and citified, and I didn't put that well, so for that I do apologize.  

5 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

I think it is ridiculous but its still pretty big to insist on that formality in certain circles here.... I think it's kind of a redneck tell to be honest.  Sorta country come to town.  JMO 

i think most educated/well mannered people know that they can be courteous and respectful without using sexist or antiquated honorifics.

Are "ma'am" and "sir" sexist?

On 28.01.2017 at 8:20 PM, Exjw2015deed said:

Not to defend the bates. But they never specifically said that each spouse their children choose must allow the number of children they have up to God, like pa Keller did with pecan thief. They seem to not expect certain kids to have a quiverful. I'm not sure what is behind the scenes but Jim bobs literally constantly said "be fruitful and multiple". Again, I'm sure Gil and Kelly feel that way but they know it's unrealistic. When asked who would have the most kids she said probably not Chad and Erin because of health reasons, no to Alyssa, and said maybe tori and Michael. 

Sex...he's obssesed with sex...and he's is gross when speaking to his own children

16 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Are "ma'am" and "sir" sexist?

Absolutely not.

And since when is having "old-fashioned manners" redneck?

Wait, since when is sir and ma'am sexist? It's just a formal way of talking to people. It's simple manners. Personally I don't like being called ma'am but I'm not old enough for that. But respect is not sexist.

Rednecks have manners, contrary to popular belief. I just love it when somebody not from the South tries to explain my culture to me.

LOL.  I am from the South.   I didn't say rednecks didn't have manners.   My point was, I think they often insist on more old fashioned manners than people who don't fall into the general redneck category.  I, personally, would probably fall into the redneck category.   Whitney Bates, sorry... DEFINITELY falls into it.  

1 hour ago, QuiverDance said:

Not everyone feels the same way about it, and that is fine.  No dog in the hunt for me, I was just calling it like I see it.   Teaching respect doesn't necessarily need to follow a script.  And here is a whole article about it:

http://thecommonvision.org/features/yes-sir-yes-maam/

My bone was just with them being referred to as sexist. I still don't get what you meant by that. 

I will never understand why the fuck I need to have extra respect for people just because they are older than me. I have respect for every person, unless and until they prove to me that they don't deserve it. But I see exactly zero reasons to have special respect for my elders.

It's part of Southern culture. What part of that are some people not getting? I wouldn't go, say, to the Midwest and tell you everything that I don't like.

16 minutes ago, JillyO said:

I will never understand why the fuck I need to have extra respect for people just because they are older than me. I have respect for every person, unless and until they prove to me that they don't deserve it. But I see exactly zero reasons to have special respect for my elders.

It is because they are your elders, and that is the only reason, and that is how we were raised, and if you were not raised that way, of course you would not understand it.  It is arbitrary.  

I hope Whitney still has this much love for both Bradley and Kacey once the inevitable third child, and 2nd of a gender, comes along.

20 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

Bradley forever remains the cutest kid to ever grace the FJ boards.

Bradley is really cute, but my heart melts for little Spurgeon Seewald.

1 hour ago, ophelia said:

His curls are precious, but I can't help seeing JB when I look at Spurgeon. :(

3 hours ago, ophelia said:

Oh I am with you on that one. Spurgeon is the fundie baby that gives me heart eyes. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived