IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen: Part 24- Duggars, Duvets and stuff

samurai_sarah

7 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I have heard people refer to themselves as recovering Catholics.

Those are people who have deliberately left the church in their lives, if not the roster in Rome, and no longer consider themselves in any way a part of the RCC.

lapsed Catholics can be anyone from agnostic to believers who still identify as Catholic but if we go to mass it's Christmas/Easter but we still mostly baptize our kids, want the big sacraments like marriage and last rites done within the church.  General terms - big spectrum of lapsed Catholics - but lapsed usually doesn't indicate an anger or clear cut disassociation with the church.

a recovering Catholic would never answer "Catholic" if asked what religion they were....most of us lapsed Catholics would.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were raised RC and were active members for the first 45 years of our lives. Last year we started attending a Unitarian Fellowship. For the 12 years that we attended no church, we called ourselves non-practicing RCs. Now we say former RCs.

3 hours ago, JMO said:

Weighing in on the cultural Christian debate, the term I always heard and adopted was "lapsed". So my husband are lapsed Catholics. Although my mom will sometimes say "erstwhile Catholics ". 

Without my glasses, I thought you wrote wasted Catholics.

50 minutes ago, NewOrleansLady said:

I guess they had too much communion wine?

I was raised Catholic. Never really believed in any of it, but familial and peer pressures lead to me doing all the sacraments and being initiated by the ripe young age of 11. I felt a sense of entrapment being told later that since I was baptized and confirmed as a Catholic, I will always be a Catholic. This is why I don't agree with forcing any religion on children.

1 hour ago, calimojo said:

Did Anna's father actually use the term "Transfer of Authority" during the Josh/Anna wedding episodes?

I think so. 

5 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I have heard people refer to themselves as recovering Catholics.

We consider ourselves as non practicing Catholics.

2 hours ago, calimojo said:

Did Anna's father actually use the term "Transfer of Authority" during the Josh/Anna wedding episodes?

Oh, yes, he did.

5 hours ago, NewOrleansLady said:

That is not an unheard of phenomenon.  Source - my current bac :) 

On 25.12.2016 at 4:28 AM, Scribber said:

I am not southern (mid western) but that's very much how I was taught too.

All women older than me are still "Miss Judy/Loretta/Pam/Whatever" and my daughter refers to all adults in the same way. (With the exception of my best friend's husband... she calls him "Mr. C" because she decided she didn't like the way his first name sounded. )

So it is Miss and Mister? Do you (general you) change in how you address someone? Like you call her Miss Judy and one our later only Judy and the Miss Judy again?

We had a similar term in Germany: Fräulein. It is not used anymore. Sometimes in private but never in anything official. To distinguish between people we are in a close relationship to and people we are not, we use different personal pronouns. But if you reached the more relaxed level there is no way back. To show respect you can't just change back your way to address (would be an insult actually) but you will use respectful language and behaviour. Even more so if you talk to the parents of friends or your boss or someone else you might address in an informal way but you don't have a deeper relationship to. Bosses are even more tricky as there is always hierarchy involved so a lot of people are more comfortable if they don't have to use the informal address. But then it gets offered by the older part or the one higher in professional hierarchy and to decline will be mostly seen as insulting (less in a professional setting).

So it is Miss and Mister? Do you (general you) change in how you address someone? Like you call her Miss Judy and one our later only Judy and the Miss Judy again?
We had a similar term in Germany: Fräulein. It is not used anymore. Sometimes in private but never in anything official. To distinguish between people we are in a close relationship to and people we are not, we use different personal pronouns. But if you reached the more relaxed level there is no way back. To show respect you can't just change back your way to address (would be an insult actually) but you will use respectful language and behaviour. Even more so if you talk to the parents of friends or your boss or someone else you might address in an informal way but you don't have a deeper relationship to. Bosses are even more tricky as there is always hierarchy involved so a lot of people are more comfortable if they don't have to use the informal address. But then it gets offered by the older part or the one higher in professional hierarchy and to decline will be mostly seen as insulting (less in a professional setting).

Always with the "miss" or "Mr" in front.

Also "yes ma'am" "no sir" are used unless asked not to. It's considered good manners.

I almost wish we were more formal. In my state, we hardly ever use any titles like "mr." Or "ms." Even professors are called by their first names, unless they ask otherwise. Usually that's one of the first questions a student will ask the first day: "how do you wish to be called?" And it's... Kinda awkward. For me, at least.

Coming from that and speaking English, it's really hard for me , learning to speak German and Spanish, to figure out when exactly to use the for all. Because my culture isn't really that formal at all like, ever.

When Jessa filmed them driving into the compound and then it turned out that no one was up-- all those Christmas lights must have been on all night. The wastefulness of the Duggars wasn't unknown to me, but seeing it in action is just sickening.

1 hour ago, BabyBottlePop said:

When Jessa filmed them driving into the compound and then it turned out that no one was up-- all those Christmas lights must have been on all night. The wastefulness of the Duggars wasn't unknown to me, but seeing it in action is just sickening.

When I was a kid we left the lights on Christmas Eve so Santa could find our house.  I'm sure the Duggar kids don't look forward to Santa. 

1 hour ago, BabyBottlePop said:

We have our lights on a timer, so, they come on in the a.m. for an hour or so and turn off by themselves, . Duggars could easily have that

34 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

When I was a kid we left the lights on Christmas Eve so Santa could find our house.  I'm sure the Duggar kids don't look forward to Santa. 

We did the same thing.  On and off every night, but on Christmas Eve, they stayed on all night.

48 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

If my parents had of done that, I wouldn't have slept all night.  I have a real issue around things catching on fire (because my parents drank when I was a kid and caught things on fire).  I even unplug my space heaters at night 'cause I worry about them.

I love the look of Christmas lights on at night, but they freak me out.

We have solar powered Christmas lights. I've come home very late some evenings (well, morning by that stage) to find they're still flashing away!

Definitely an advantage of Christmas being a summer affair!

What happened to Tyler's parents?

Poor Jordyn, Jim Bob and Michelle have no bond with her. In Jessa's defence she has shown love and care for Jordyn, she told her first that Spurgeon was a boy, Jordyn went straight to Jessa when her head was freed from the railing. Now Jessa, Jill and Jinger are married they can't be with their buddies the way they used to leaving the poor kids without the people who 'actually' raised them. Jim Bob and Michelle are to blame for that.

34 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

What happened to Tyler's parents?

Tyler's mom is on probation and has drug issues IIRC; his father was never in the picture. His grandmother (Michelle's sister) had custody for a while but she had a stroke over the summer.

2 minutes ago, Bethella said:

Tyler's mom is on probation and has drug issues IIRC; his father was never in the picture. His grandmother (Michelle's sister) had custody for a while but she had a stroke over the summer.

Poor kid, As bad as Michelle and Jim Bob are at least will have some stability with them and a lot of kids around him to play with. 

19 hours ago, Trynn said:

I almost wish we were more formal. In my state, we hardly ever use any titles like "mr." Or "ms." Even professors are called by their first names, unless they ask otherwise. Usually that's one of the first questions a student will ask the first day: "how do you wish to be called?" And it's... Kinda awkward. For me, at least.

Coming from that and speaking English, it's really hard for me , learning to speak German and Spanish, to figure out when exactly to use the for all. Because my culture isn't really that formal at all like, ever.

When I traveled in Germany, I decided to play it safe and default to Sie unless told otherwise. And then I addressed a four-year-old using Sie because I was so used to it and got laughed at.

Now I live in a predominantly Spanish-speaking neighborhood, and I find it kind of interesting that signs and ads seem to use the formal and informal forms of address pretty interchangeably. I really want to talk to some Spanish speakers and figure out where the dividing line is, at least in the Spanish spoken in the Dominican Republic/Puerto Rico, which seem to dominate where I am.

Where I live in the States is a weird mix of formality. I never did the yes ma'am/no sir thing, but adults were always Mr./Ms./Mrs. Lastname unless told otherwise. It was a rite of passage for me to be able to call adults by their first names.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic

Archived