IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen: Part 24- Duggars, Duvets and stuff

samurai_sarah

52 minutes ago, Pasta said:

The family needs to sell off, I mean, marry off some boys so more outside women can help the lost girls. 

Get on it Bobchelle

OMG, Bobchelle. Some of you guys slay me!

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

They'd probably whine if Mulsims, Jews, or any other type of religion was there singing their songs. 

Since its the Duggars I'd start obnoxiously singing Hanukkah songs at the top of my lungs.

2 hours ago, sansan said:

I'm kinda embarrassed to tell that the bell ringing by SA drives me bonkers. As soon as I start to hear it I become irritated and it makes me agitated. I seriously don't want to reach in my bag and give money. I just want to hiss HUSH as I walk by. I know, I'm awful.

Same here! I don't feel bad about getting agitated since SA is fairly anti-LGBTQ. 

Flash mobs are usually about dancing... and they don't dance...

It was just so awkward. I would just be like what the eff is going on?

*off topic* I live in a predominantly Jewish area and since moving home I've been very entertained with the many Hanukkah songs that the supermarkets play cause either I missed this growing up or the manager changed or something.*

2 hours ago, albanuadh_1 said:

Could someone please explain to me what a secular Christian is?

I wondered that myself. My guess is Christians who aren't fundies. 

To me a secular Christian is someone who lives by Christian values but is not necessarily a believer.  So they believe in doing onto others as you would do onto yourself, love your enemies, forgive transgressions, etc, but they do not necessarily call themselves Christian.  They may be agnostic, or atheist or raised in the faith but not a really part of it anymore. 

Just now, calimojo said:

To me a secular Christian is someone who lives by Christian values but is not necessarily a believer.  So they believe in doing onto others as you would do onto yourself, love your enemies, forgive transgressions, etc, but they do not necessarily call themselves Christian.  They may be agnostic, or atheist or raised in the faith but not a really part of it anymore. 

I was going to say something similar. It could also be someone who identifies themselves as being a Christian (as in, if I get hit by a bus, I want a Christian minister or Catholic priest), but does not actively go to church or do any other Christian things on a regular basis. On the same note, it could be a military person who identifies as Christian on his/her dog tags, but who doesn't actively participate in the Christian faith (as I define it above). It could also be what come call C&E Christians- they go to church on Christmas and Easter. 

The Duggar "flash mob" left me wondering how big their egos are that they think that people want to listen to them while shopping.  Maybe they'd have made a bigger impact if they were standing together rather than randomly spread out.  I doubt it though.

Now, I would stop and listen to this. This 10 year old girl singing the Christmas version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" is , I think, breathtaking.  Oh, and she has autism and ADHD.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/leonard-cohen-hallelujah-schoolgirl-christmas-choir-a7489791.html

If I saw a bunch of Fundies singing in Wal-Mart I would be tempted to loudly ask them if they knew where I could find the beer and condoms aisle.

I assume they sang their song and then walked around passing out tracts. Because the people in Wal-Mart the week before Christmas weren't suffering enough already.

It's hard enough trying to navigate through Walmart without fundies blocking the aisles and being obnoxious. I don't get why they couldn't just stand in one group and sing outside the building if they really wanted to carol to shoppers. 

21 hours ago, sansan said:

I'm kinda embarrassed to tell that the bell ringing by SA drives me bonkers. As soon as I start to hear it I become irritated and it makes me agitated. I seriously don't want to reach in my bag and give money. I just want to hiss HUSH as I walk by. I know, I'm awful.

Not to mention that they hate the gays. They certainly will NEVER get a dime from me, God forbid my gayness infect them or something. 

17 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

I wondered that myself. My guess is Christians who aren't fundies. 

Basically, it's just a term for people who celebrate Christmas but aren't religious. Like, they'll have the tree and the presents and the music, just none of the Jesus stuff. 

We don't have WM in my county, but I don't think I've ever seen a caroler inside of a store...outside, yes, but not in the store.

I just love the people on the film...they just strolled on by. Maybe it is true that the people of NWA would prefer to ignore them.

41 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

We don't have WM in my county, but I don't think I've ever seen a caroler inside of a store...outside, yes, but not in the store.

I just love the people on the film...they just strolled on by. Maybe it is true that the people of NWA would prefer to ignore them.

The people I know in NWA would like to forget that the Duggars are just down the road from them. They did appreciate their help during the ice storm. 

22 hours ago, albanuadh_1 said:

Could someone please explain to me what a secular Christian is?

Hi  @albanuadh_1, I used the term "secular Christian," so I can explain what I, at least, meant by it.

I was raised Christian, went to Sunday School and church, was baptised and confirmed. I was a practising Christian. But in my late teens I came to question it all, and I no longer believe any of the central tenets of Christianity.

However, I consider myself a secular Christian in the sense that I have a fairly good knowledge of Christian teachings, I still have a strong love of Christian music (e.g., Handel's "Messiah,") and I am still moved by certain passages in the Bible (KJV, which I was raised with). My family and I celebrate Christmas, not religiously, but as a time for family togetherness, new beginnings, and cherishing the people in my life.

Atheist here and we will celebrate any and all holidays in our house because I love to decorate and enjoy traditions. We have a Christmas tree, Santa stockings, a Menorah and nightly candle reading, a Kinara with a Kwanza book and even a small Buddha with incense offering. I also decorate the house seasonally and celebrate Nowruz every year because it's usually close to my birthday. Pretty much any reason to party :dance:

We thought about getting a Festivus Pole l, but I just don't feel like airing my grievances all that much. 

5 hours ago, missegeno said:

My family uses the term "culturally Christian" to describe people who celebrate Christmas and Easter, etc. but who aren't religious.

Jewish people more often use the word secular, but being culturally Jewish or considering yourself a secular Jew is the same thing. I would imagine the same is true of other religions, though the idea of being culturally Christian is a fairly new development to me -- progress? 

My bf actually says he is culturally Catholic, meaning he is guided by Catholic principles and values the traditions his family has built around Christian holidays, but he is basically agnostic and almost never goes to church.

My religious neighbors call the Christmas/Easter Catholics 'ChriEasters'. I have also heard the term 'cafeteria Catholic' for people who are Catholic but think living together before marriage and similar are OK. However, those are more pejorative terms.

Ok, so I've been home with a stomach flu watching old Duggar episodes and I have some thoughts:

Michelle didn't have a baby voice back in the day. She still said spoke constant nonsense, as they all do, but she did it with a normal voice.

I saw my first "Nike!". I don't remember actually seeing one until I now. It was during the Dolly episode (and surprisingly it was not while meeting her...god, how I love Dolly, she is so funny).

Why do they call everyone "Miss XYZ" and not "Mrs. XYZ? You would think that if you'r life goal is to become a wife you would want to be a Mrs. and not a Ms. Even Ana referred to Michelle as "Miss Duggar" at first.

Jill was much smugger than Jessa back then. Jessa was kinda likeable.

In an early special Jill said she wanted to become a missionary. How is that working out for you JIllyBean? (I just hate people trying to convert other people, hate it. It is so pretentious and disrespectful). Jana said she wanted to be a midwife, and that her favorite hobby was "babysitting". Jana, that is not babysitting, it's called parenting. 

I dislike Anna's father sooo much. He is disgusting, and, honestly, sounds like he is not the sharpest crayon in the box...far from it. And ll that talk about the transfer of authority just sounds so much worse now that we know what Joshie is all about. And also...no, Mr. Keller, Jesus did not turn water into Welch's grape juice.

2 hours ago, seasonsoflife said:

Why do they call everyone "Miss XYZ" and not "Mrs. XYZ? You would think that if you'r life goal is to become a wife you would want to be a Mrs. and not a Ms. Even Ana referred to Michelle as "Miss Duggar" at first.

It's a Southern thing. My mom was very happily married, and people called her Miss. Mom'sName. Same with many other women I know who are married.

16 hours ago, CharlieInCharge said:

Atheist here and we will celebrate any and all holidays in our house because I love to decorate and enjoy traditions. We have a Christmas tree, Santa stockings, a Menorah and nightly candle reading, a Kinara with a Kwanza book and even a small Buddha with incense offering. I also decorate the house seasonally and celebrate Nowruz every year because it's usually close to my birthday. Pretty much any reason to party :dance:

We thought about getting a Festivus Pole l, but I just don't feel like airing my grievances all that much. 

Best of all worlds.  In the south, we celebrate crawfish season, oyster season, Mardi Gras, kids leaving for summer camp.  I'm sure you get what I mean. It is always a party and the beer flows like the mighty Mississippi.:beer:

50 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

It's a Southern thing. My mom was very happily married, and people called her Miss. Mom'sName. Same with many other women I know who are married.

Ok, that makes sense. 

I am not southern (mid western) but that's very much how I was taught too.

All women older than me are still "Miss Judy/Loretta/Pam/Whatever" and my daughter refers to all adults in the same way. (With the exception of my best friend's husband... she calls him "Mr. C" because she decided she didn't like the way his first name sounded. )

Weighing in on the cultural Christian debate, the term I always heard and adopted was "lapsed". So my husband are lapsed Catholics. Although my mom will sometimes say "erstwhile Catholics ". 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic

Archived