IGNORED

Miss Raquel's 2nd Novel- Part 5

samurai_sarah

3 hours ago, formergothardite said:

She made a video while driving on snowy roads. No wonder she has had four accidents in a year. 

Possibly endangering other people for imaginary internet points? (at least that's what it sounds like from your description)

Every year for the last 5 or so years, I've inevitably seen some photo or video of a snowstorm posted by someone I'm connected to that was driving while they took it. And my question is always: whyyyyyy?

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, December said:

Possibly endangering other people for imaginary internet points?

She said it was for a contest to win stuff from a Portland store. This isn't the first time she has made videos while driving and as much as she claims nothing is her fault, I'm guessing that at least some of those four accidents were caused by Raquel doing something stupid. 

52 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

She said it was for a contest to win stuff from a Portland store. This isn't the first time she has made videos while driving and as much as she claims nothing is her fault, I'm guessing that at least some of those four accidents were caused by Raquel doing something stupid. 

If it was for a contest, how have the contest organizers not been sued into oblivion or gotten a massive PR drubbing by now for encouraging people to take their hands off the steering wheel and stare at their phones instead of the road while driving in snow and icy conditions?

I'm sure that Raquel gets her car insurance payments taken care of by the First National Bank of Mommy and Daddy, and I hope they know what sort of idiocy she gets up to in the cars she constantly crashes.

47 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

If it was for a contest, how have the contest organizers not been sued into oblivion or gotten a massive PR drubbing by now for encouraging people to take their hands off the steering wheel and stare at their phones instead of the road while driving in snow and icy conditions?

Portland Gear just said to tag them with a snow photo and Raquel being Raquel had to turn it into making a video while driving in the snow. 

I'm trying to win something from my fave Portland shop (@portlandgear, here's looking at you!!) so don't judge and just watch the video 

Portland Gear should disqualify her and anyone else for driving while being that stupid.

Ran across this tattoo and immediately compared it to Raquel's "God is infinitely greater" one in my mind. I know which one has a bigger impact when I look at it.  

Spoiler

infinity-tattoo-on-lower-back.jpg

Oh, my.  I thought you guys were being severely harsh.  Then I actually went and read her "paper."  Now I just feel a little embarrassed for Raquel.  Again, her ego and naivete combined seem to always make for secondhand embarrassment.  

That's not a paper.  

Now, Raquel's writing isn't terrible.  Her spelling and grammar are decent.  The problem is she's never moved beyond "you're a good writer for a kid."  When it comes to rhetorical devices, she's totally clueless.  Her sentence structure is really clunky and she often devolves into truisms.  I don't follow her blog, because frankly, she's boring.  

Her class should be ending on the 30th. The only paper she has mentioned is that first one. You know she would have been bragging non-stop if her other papers had gotten good grades. I wonder if she will go back next semester.

That seemed like an absurdly short semester for college. I love 'don't focus on this highly dangerous and illegal thing I did, focus on MEEEE'. Typical Raquel.

Maybe she would be happy to know my fiance LOVES reading her blog. Of course, it's to laugh at her, but hey - male attention!

He and I recently went through her '54 Reasons I Will Not Date You' blog and discovered he would have been rejected at least a dozen times over for such horrific crimes as not being a stylish dresser, playing video games, being able to live without music and being unwilling to kill an animal unless it was a life or death situation.

14 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Her class should be ending on the 30th. The only paper she has mentioned is that first one. You know she would have been bragging non-stop if her other papers had gotten good grades. I wonder if she will go back next semester.

She said in her paper she craves challenges. I wonder if she got what she wanted?

Okay, I'm scratching my head at her latest blog entry over her use of the word "convicted." She seems to be using it as a verb for for conviction in the sense of a belief, but that comes more from the root of convince, where as conviction from the root convict is in the sense of "found guilty of a crime." Now, I know some more conservative churches use words in some pretty funky ways from a common modern American Engslih stand point, so is this a case of me being unfamiliar with obscure uasge of "convict" or is this an example of Raquel's sloppy writing?

(Either way, the blog entry is a classic case of Raquel's "have it my way" mentality).

I hear it used that way ALL the time in Christian circles. "I felt convicted about my sin." Means you realize how guilty you are and feel the weight of it and are remorseful in churchese.

35 minutes ago, xRoo said:

I hear it used that way ALL the time in Christian circles. "I felt convicted about my sin." Means you realize how guilty you are and feel the weight of it and are remorseful in churchese.

Yeah, which makes sense in the "found guilty" aspect, but she's seems to be saying she is convicted that tattoos are okay, which is what makes me scratch my head. However, I also admit that I'm short on sleep and may be misreading it. Maybe she means the reverse -- other people arel convicted that they are bad. Ironically, when I google it to see if it's ever used in the "I think it's okay" sense, I get a lot of pages about how the word "conviction" never actually appears in the Bible.

The whole blog entry made me wonder who scolded her for being a Christian and having tats.  It seemed like a 'justification' for her decision more than anything.  

She also left me scratching my head over considering 50 old.  (because when I consider tats I think more of being 80 and in a nursing home with tats than say - my age now.)

46 minutes ago, Terrie said:

Yeah, which makes sense in the "found guilty" aspect, but she's seems to be saying she is convicted that tattoos are okay, which is what makes me scratch my head.

I've heard people use "convicted" in religious discussions in place of "convinced." I think it's that an archaic meaning of "convicted" is "convinced." Maybe it's related to why many fundies prefer the KJV Bible speak.

The part that gets me is she is arguing her personal opinion of why these other people are wrong and that it is just fine... but then sticking her nose up at tattoos that don't have "meaning" and saying those are wrong because: Raquel doesn't like it.

I think she has decided she likes being an "edgy" christian and just wants people to be reminded she has a bunch of tattoos even though her parents don't like it.

14 minutes ago, December said:

I've heard people use "convicted" in religious discussions in place of "convinced." I think it's that an archaic meaning of "convicted" is "convinced." Maybe it's related to why many fundies prefer the KJV Bible speak.

Did some more digging, because I love etymology. Per the OED (first link), it was once used like that historically, but is pretty obsolete. And since it also doesn't appear in the bible in the sense of "a strong belief" (second link), it seems like this is a case of some more fundy types trying to sound more important and intellegent than they really are.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/125137/can-one-be-convicted-if-one-has-a-strong-opinion

http://www.learnthebible.org/convictions.html

I also mock the pciture of her new coat that she put up on Instagram. It was -19 (pre-wind chill) locally yesterday and I didn't need a hood that over the top.

On 12/13/2016 at 6:11 AM, formergothardite said:

Bless her, she worked a whole 7 and a half hours!

In my 20s, I was working 60 hours a week (salary, so no overtime!!) while eating lunch at my desk. I'd sometimes have to be in at 7am and stay until 7pm because I had conference calls with Australia and Japan. One night, I stayed until 3:30 am and came back in at 6am for a very large project launch.

27 minutes ago, snarkykitty said:

In my 20s, I was working 60 hours a week (salary, so no overtime!!) while eating lunch at my desk. I'd sometimes have to be in at 7am and stay until 7pm because I had conference calls with Australia and Japan. One night, I stayed until 3:30 am and came back in at 6am for a very large project launch.

In the my recent professional certification program we were expected to do 20+ hours of coursework on top of a presumably 40 hour work week, which means 8 hour shifts EVERY DAY, or 9 if I took a lunch.

I only have a few calendar years on Raquel.  

What stood out to me is that Raquel insisted on context for the verses about tattoos, but in the past has refused to do that for things she doesn't approve of. 

For once I agree with her, I think it's stupid to take a tattoo that is for life unless it's somehow important to you. None of my business if you do... but I think people sometimes live to regret tattoos that they didn't properly think through.

That Bible quote though.. In context it's worse:

"(26) You shall not eat anything with the blood, nor practice divinations or soothsaying. (27) You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard. (28) You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD. (29) Do not profane your daughter by making her a harlot, so that the land will not fall into harlotry and the land become full of lewdness.  (30) You shall keep My sabbaths and revere My sanctuary; I am the LORD. (31) Do not turn to mediums or spiritists; do not seek them out to be defiled by them.  I am the LORD your God."
- Leviticus 19:26-31

I mean, shaving and forcing your daughter in prostitution are totally the same sort of evil... Possibly shaving is worse since it's mentioned first?

18 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

For once I agree with her, I think it's stupid to take a tattoo that is for life unless it's somehow important to you. None of my business if you do... but I think people sometimes live to regret tattoos that they didn't properly think through.

That said, I know people who agonized over perfecting a tattoo design that had extraordinarily meaningful symbolism to them/their life. And 5 years later, they hate the thing and are saving up the money to get it lasered off. Meanwhile, I know others who got some silly symbol or character tattooed on them 30 years ago cause tattoos were cool and they just laugh about it as a nostalgic reminder of being young and stupid.

It's probably easier to live with tattoo regret when it's not inked on a constantly visible part of your body, though...

From her list of questions to ask yourself before getting a tattoo:

Would this tattoo bring glory to God in its phrasing, image, placement, etc.?

Be sure to put one on your mid-rib cage so you can post pictures of your tattoo where it looks like you're groping your own boob. (Seriously, though, look at how other people take pics of their tattoos. The focus is on "Look at this awesome art!" not "I am so deep and profound." What can you learn from this contrast?)

On Twitter Raquel is claiming that she was at a party talking to a guy and another guy came up and told them he wanted them to get married right then. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived