IGNORED

Not Rulz but foods we won't eat and Thanksgiving (thread drift originally)

HerNameIsBuffy

1 minute ago, Destiny said:

Because she's wise. That shit's poison. POISON I SAY!

I get that it's ugly, and maybe itchy for the dog, but it can be fixed with a shave -- calling it poison seems a mite strong, eh @Destiny?

No, I don't know nuthin' about oysters either way, why do you ask?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pumpkin pie was a freaking adventure.  No pumpkin pie spice so I substitute with spices ...called for 1.5 tsp cinnamon and I go tablespoon and tried to scrap some out.

cup short on half and half and no time to run to store so subbed sour cream.

poured into crusts and man-child 1 tasted...forgot the sugar.  Poured back into bowl added sugar spilled...

stupid tradition - who looked at a pumpkin and said sure, make a pie.  If I get a time machine I'm going back to kick their ass.

Oysters are ocean lugies hocked during a head cold. Eating them goes against God. :P

Have you seen the original pumkin pie? Take pumkin and remove top as if to carve it. Remove seeds and fill with custard. Bake until custard is done and set out to cool. As the pumkin cools it collapses around the custard. Slice like pie and serve.

3 minutes ago, DaisyD said:

Oysters are ocean lugies hocked during a head cold. Eating them goes against God. :P

I would say "we can't be friends" after this, but if you promise to give me all the oysters you don't want to eat, we'll be fine. :)

I would say "we can't be friends" after this, but if you promise to give me all the oysters you don't want to eat, we'll be fine. [emoji4]

Better share with me!

Just now, Destiny said:

Better share with me!

Mhm...okay, fine, but no snarky comments if I eat mine with a vinaigrette instead of tabasco or lemon juice, okay?

They're all yours. I won't be sharing any clam chowder though. Unless it's the canned stuff. That stuff is spooge and potatoes. 

26 minutes ago, DaisyD said:

They're all yours. I won't be sharing any clam chowder though. Unless it's the canned stuff. That stuff is spooge and potatoes. 

That's a deal I can live with. :)

1 hour ago, samurai_sarah said:

Mhm...okay, fine, but no snarky comments if I eat mine with a vinaigrette instead of tabasco or lemon juice, okay?

Hmmm. I'll try anything once. Really. Vinaigrette? Crackers are a no then?

57 minutes ago, DaisyD said:

Cosign on both points.

4 hours ago, FundieFarmer said:

Just think-- most of us come to Thanksgiving for the food but stay (or leave!!) for the drama! emoji23.png

I'm so happy to be spending thanksgiving in leggings with just my guy this year! And more thankful than ever to be estranged from my crazy conservative bio-father! I love food. I HATE family drama. 

I hope everyone is having a great thanksgiving!

Have you seen the original pumkin pie? Take pumkin and remove top as if to carve it. Remove seeds and fill with custard. Bake until custard is done and set out to cool. As the pumkin cools it collapses around the custard. Slice like pie and serve.

Ok, what? Do you have a pic? I can't imagine this.

14 hours ago, Shoobydoo said:

snipped

ETA: I kind of wanted to make brussels sprouts for tomorrow, but I'm the only person who will eat them. :pb_cry:

I just had Brussel sprouts for the first time. They were roasted with umm...some stuff. They were pretty good. It was also my first time to have turkey that had been deep fried. It was wonderful! My favorite part? I didn't cook one thing! (Why, yes. I am a bit lazy. Thank you for noticing!)

@HerNameIsBuffy when I was going up, in an area close to yours, we would have these extended family gatherings with no less than 30 people. We had some interesting dishes show up at Thanksgiving. Pickled Asparagus wouldn't even get a second glance from us. Nor perogies  

My favorite memory though is the time there was no green bean casserole. In prior years, my plate was 3/4s green bean casserole,  and 1/4th bread, and shrimp cocktail. I threw an AMAZING 12 year old temper tantrum which I can not live down to this day. I don't even like green bean casserole anymore.  

3 hours ago, DaisyD said:

I attempted this and I don't know what went wrong but I baked that pumpkin for three hours and the pumpkin never cooked, the custard never set and the outside about caught fire. 

We all need to join together in a moment of silence for my gravy. As I was carrying things into my mom's house, I tripped over her damn cat and dropped the container of gravy. :5624796058123_Aseaoftearscrying::crying-blue::crying-green::crying-yellow:

5 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I attempted this and I don't know what went wrong but I baked that pumpkin for three hours and the pumpkin never cooked, the custard never set and the outside about caught fire. 

We all need to join together in a moment of silence for my gravy. As I was carrying things into my mom's house, I tripped over her damn cat and dropped the container of gravy. :5624796058123_Aseaoftearscrying::crying-blue::crying-green::crying-yellow:

My condolences on your gravy.

With the pumpkin- did you bake it to fork-tender before putting the custard in? Was it a sugar/pie pumpkin?

13 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I did the exact same thing last year, except the victim was deviled eggs. :cry:

Ok, all a you people are making me hungry, which is not good since Canadian Thanksgiving was last month and I don't even have leftovers anymore.  Also you are making me laugh, which is also not good because laughing is making me cough and wheeze and feel like I am a hundred year old heavy smoker ( which I am not. At all, because smoking,ew. ) Sinusitis getting better, but still making laughing not great.

I never used to make gravy at all. My mother never made it growing up and my first exposure to it was when I was a five year old stuck in the hospital. Grey gloopy hospital gravy=40+ years of subsequent lack of interest in the whole gravy genre.  

In the last couple of years,  since the family holiday dinners have mostly moved to our house, I have caved in and started to make it.  Last year it was pretty good. This year it sucked ass.  I make it ahead by roasting a couple of turkey wings the day before and using that as the base for the gravy.  Fun fact:   If you forget that you have wings roasting in the oven and they turn sort of, um, black?  Yeah, it won't be ok. The gravy will taste like liquid smoke. This is not a good thing.  Throw that shit away.

On the other hand, I did get to be extra thankful for my husband and my BIL, (for whom I made the gravy in the first place) who not only ate said crappy gravy, but had seconds.  I knew it was sHite, but they maintained that it was only a bit Cajun. Men, they are not all idiots.

My cranberry relish, however, was impeccable.  Take an apple (cored, but not peeled) aND stick it in the blender with a bag of fresh cranberries.  Peel off the zest of am orange and drop that in the blender too. Remove the white pith from the rest of the orange (throw that away) and stick the now naked orange into the blender.  Blend it all up into a nice grainy relish consistency.  Add sugar to taste (about half a cup) It will keep for a couple of days. So easy and a nice fresh taste that works on sandwiches later too.

Let's hope anybody else planning to flip out over something on fj is now happily sedated with plenty of turkey.  

Oh,and I forgot to add that I totally want my share of the raw oysters, as long as I can have them with horseradish. 

1 hour ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

naked orange

Yeah, that is how immature I am feeling right now. :P

Your cranberry recipe sounds really good and I will try it!

I ate too much. Plz send HALP.

SEND HELP HERE TOO! I made pie from scratch and none of these fuckers have touched it.

7 hours ago, missegeno said:

Ok, what? Do you have a pic? I can't imagine this.

d59fb410-922e-0134-1923-060e3e89e053.png

I'd totally try it, but I'd never try to pass it off at the in-law thanksgiving. 

I'm way too full and I have 4 pumpkin pies in my fridge still...

This thread!  What with matted poodles, saluting green beans, breastfeeding turkeys.  I'm crying with laughter.

And then I get this ...

10 hours ago, DaisyD said:

d59fb410-922e-0134-1923-060e3e89e053.png

I'd totally try it, but I'd never try to pass it off at the in-law thanksgiving. 

I'm way too full and I have 4 pumpkin pies in my fridge still...

That thing has eyes and is sticking its tongue out at me!  

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

This thread!  What with matted poodles, saluting green beans, breastfeeding turkeys.  I'm crying with laughter.

And then I get this ...

That thing has eyes and is sticking its tongue out at me!  

I thought it was Destiny's new avatar,  a Trumpkin Pie :pb_eek:

Archived