IGNORED

Not Rulz but foods we won't eat and Thanksgiving (thread drift originally)

HerNameIsBuffy

5 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Pie: Should be apple. (but I understand that in wine country it is traditional to serve a concord grape pie. and some people think pumpkin is traditional, and others are all about the sweet potato pie.) Someone should take a survey. BTW I make an AMAZING (if I say so myself, which I will) caramel apple pie. 

Wine: should be abundant.

We've got the pie covered this year. My mom called to tell me to bring an apple pie to Thanksgiving dinner, so following instructions, I made it and sent it on up with my in laws as they were heading up earlier than I was. 

An hour after the pie left, my mom called me at work to tell me that the pie she had made and put in the freezer and thought was pecan - was apple. 

An hour after that, she called to tell me that what she thought was a cherry tart was actually - apple. 

Somebody better bring a pumpkin pie or something! :pb_biggrin:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Destiny said:

Vegan mushroom gravy? I'm going to insist that you Feed Jinger this because I need to know more about this.

Second the request - I've got a vegetarian I'm cooking for and prefers vegan when possible.

43 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I love Thanksgiving SO MUCH. 

Turkey - I'll eat the dark meat. SO doesn't like it so it's all mine! We are trying a spatchcock grilled turkey this year (OK, he's doing it that way because I told him to). 

Cranberry Sauce: Either way is fine, but I do like my trashy can with the ridges. Just don't make it too fancy. 

Stuffing/Filling/Dressing: My extended family always has both the kind cooked in the bird and the stovetop (not necessarily the brand). Just don't serve me that weird Pennsylvania filling. 

Gravy: pepper gravy for biscuits in the morning.  Turkey gravy should be sort of tan-ish. I can take it or leave it . 

Potatoes: hand mashed WITH (some) lumps is my favorite. My mom will gag if there are any lumps so she purees them to s***. 

Sweet Potatoes/Yams: I do not care for marshmallows on my root vegetables. 

Pie: Should be apple. (but I understand that in wine country it is traditional to serve a concord grape pie. and some people think pumpkin is traditional, and others are all about the sweet potato pie.) Someone should take a survey. BTW I make an AMAZING (if I say so myself, which I will) caramel apple pie. 

Wine: should be abundant.

FUCK: I forgot the green beans. Please don't casserole them. 

What is Pennsylvania filling?

34 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Second the request - I've got a vegetarian I'm cooking for and prefers vegan when possible.

What is Pennsylvania filling?

Potatoes, rye bread, onions, stock, celery (the usual stuff) and sometimes a big glob of flour because it's not thick enough. Gag. Oh, and eggs. 

Potatoes, rye bread, onions, stock, celery (the usual stuff) and sometimes a big glob of flour because it's not thick enough. Gag. Oh, and eggs. 

What sort of inhuman monster put that together? *gag*

I have just remembered that i dropped my pie dishes a few months back and hadn't gotten them replaced. I couldn't find new ones locally for love nor money, so i'm making apple pie and we bought pumpkin. I make a pretty great caramel apple pie too. We should duke it out one of these days. :-P

You had me until eggs...

So far I've made 6 pumpkin pies from scratch (like, I started with pumpkins) androasted the seeds. tomorrow I'm making corn bread and cranberry sauce (I come from cranberry farmers, I make no apologies for my opinion of that goop in a can).

15 minutes ago, Destiny said:

What sort of inhuman monster put that together? *gag*

The Pennsylvania Dutch. My guess is that they make it to keep people away. 

Actually, the subject of stuffing/filling/dressing is really interesting to me; the various ingredients are SO regional and really go to show how we, in the US, have created SO many different traditions and so much of it is geographic. I think Maryland has people with oyster stuffing. And California wine country people started to use wine. It's all the same base - bread + spices + fruit/nuts/celery + whatever, but so many people started adding regional features. 

15 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I make a pretty great caramel apple pie too. We should duke it out one of these days. :-P

:-) 

@maggiemae fwiw mister Destiny, who is from back woods Florida, believes in oysters in his stuffing too. It IS weird how different stuffing is geographically - like the idea of putting wine in stuffing? I thought everyone did that!

Stuffing is like potato salad - no two recipes are quite the same.  But definite regional differences - I find that stuff so fascinating.

i should be up preparing but worked late and waiting for motivation to kick in.

Ok, I came for the drama but now I'm here for the FOOD. I had my thanksgiving foods last weekend; tomorrow the guy is making his dad's lasagna recipe and I am putting together a killer cheese board. But here are my thanksgiving food thoughts anyway. 

1. GRAVY. Put it everywhere. 

2. Mashed potatoes are necessary. Preferably my family recipe of Garlic Basil Mashed Potatoes, which I may have been known to eat a whole pot of on my own. 

3. Turkey is meh, in general. But better if you slice up a stick of butter and shove it all up under the skin. 

4. Green bean casserole is creepy. 

Regional differences in stuffing are really interesting. Being from Ohio, the Pennsylvania dutch version doesn't seem to strange. But the British version, which is pretty much just seasoned pork, I will never get behind.

Apologies for the typo (to should be too). I'm on mobile and can't edit. Also wanted to add, gravy is yum but people who aren't diligent about stirring and let clumps develop are satan incarnate.

3 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

It's our newest one.

AAAAH. I feel like a celebrity now. :pb_lol: :8U::special-snowflake1::8U: :pb_lol:

I wind up trying a completely different recipe for turkey/potatoes whatever every year because I am eternally on the search for the ultimate roast bird. Last year we did a brine, the turkey itself was good but the resulting gravy (drippings all the way!) was inedibly salty. This year I am trying a frankenstein of a recipe that involves making herb butter, coating the turkey in herb butter, and then wrapping in in cheesecloth that has been soaked in melted herb butter, and basting it with more butter..... If anyone is curious, I'll report back on how it works out. 

This is the second year we are doing potluck with all our friends whose work schedules don't allow for travel; I believe the complete menu will be:

Turkey (butter monstrosity) & accompanied bird juice

Mashed potatoes (Some recipe I found in food network magazine involving mascarpone cheese)

Corn bread

White dinner rolls

Stuffing

Salad

Some sort of casserole? One guest has recently gotten into cooking and is really excited and wants to make some kind of noodle dish. 

Pie; we make pumpkin, but someone else is bringing one and last year they brought french silk.

Plus cinnamon and orange rolls, cookies, and cheese & crackers....

We're distressingly low on alcohol, though. We have a couple bottles of wine but that won't last long.

2 hours ago, Destiny said:

@maggiemae fwiw mister Destiny, who is from back woods Florida, believes in oysters in his stuffing too. It IS weird how different stuffing is geographically - like the idea of putting wine in stuffing? I thought everyone did that!

My mom makes some kind of Thanksgiving oyster stuffing/casserole thing for my dad that I have always thought was disgusting. As far as I can tell, the recipe is just crushed townhouse crackers, butter, and oysters, baked.... I also hate oyster, though, so maybe it's a tasty recipe if you're into oysters. We did find a pearl in our oysters on year, though. He is born in Ohio/partially raised in Texas, though. I have no idea where that recipe came from. :pb_confused:

I like oysters and that sounds revolting. I've never tried them in stuffing because they are expensive here, so not worth it for an experiment.

21 minutes ago, Shoobydoo said:

AAAAH. I feel like a celebrity now. :pb_lol: :8U::special-snowflake1::8U: :pb_lol:

I wind up trying a completely different recipe for turkey/potatoes whatever every year because I am eternally on the search for the ultimate roast bird. Last year we did a brine, the turkey itself was good but the resulting gravy (drippings all the way!) was inedibly salty. This year I am trying a frankenstein of a recipe that involves making herb butter, coating the turkey in herb butter, and then wrapping in in cheesecloth that has been soaked in melted herb butter, and basting it with more butter..... If anyone is curious, I'll report back on how it works out. 

This is the second year we are doing potluck with all our friends whose work schedules don't allow for travel; I believe the complete menu will be:

Turkey (butter monstrosity) & accompanied bird juice

Mashed potatoes (Some recipe I found in food network magazine involving mascarpone cheese)

Corn bread

White dinner rolls

Stuffing

Salad

Some sort of casserole? One guest has recently gotten into cooking and is really excited and wants to make some kind of noodle dish. 

Pie; we make pumpkin, but someone else is bringing one and last year they brought french silk.

Plus cinnamon and orange rolls, cookies, and cheese & crackers....

We're distressingly low on alcohol, though. We have a couple bottles of wine but that won't last long.

You had me at herb butter.  Yes we want to know how it turns out!

Menu for tomorrow:

turkey, glazed ham, 2 kinds of stuffing, 2 kinds of cranberries, crescent rolls, mashed potatoes (by hand w/lumps), yams, asparagus, roasted cauliflower, pierogi (2 kinds), and gravy.

appetizers:  crackers, some cheese, spinach dip, cocktail rye with braunschweiger, some weird Polish sausage the mister likes.

dessert kolachkis, crinkle cookies, Aretes macaroons, pumpkin pie (homemade), cherry pie (store bought)

This is the result of picky eaters....sounds like a lot of food but my yam eater won't touch mashed potatoes, stark divisions in the two pierogi camps, ditto cranberries so I have to make the whole kind for the babies who don't appreciate the ridges that make the holiday, two who will not think it's thanksgiving without pumpkin pie, one who won't touch pie of any kind ever...

heck, we have two kinds of butter in the table because "it's not a holiday without butter cow" (Polish butter) and "that cow tastes funny and we need Amercian butter for Americans!"  

the only thing we are in total agreement on is my Grams cranberry bread.  I make it in muffin tins full of happiness and it is gone as fast s I can make it.  Freezes beautifully ....I should have whipped some up tonight instead of doing nothing.

@Arete's macaroons. </3

I'm doing turkey, we bought stuffing at costco, mashed potatoes, Swiss green beans, snot green beans, my weird cranberry salad, Parmesan pull aparts, and an apple pie.

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

cocktail rye with braunschweiger ...... Aretes macaroons

I am happy to see someone else on this planet loves braunschweiger!  

And I love that you are making one of Arete's recipes.  That makes me warm inside.  

2 minutes ago, Destiny said:

@arete's macaroons.
I'm doing turkey, we bought stuffing at costco, mashed potatoes, Swiss green beans, snot green beans, my weird cranberry salad, Parmesan pull aparts, and an apple pie.

Snot?

Snot?

That's what we call the mushroom soup french onions monstrosity. I hate em, but one of the kids likes em. We are making two small dishes of both kinds of green beans this time.

Is that a one word post, Ms Buffy?!  LOL  

I was just going to ask WTH is snot green beans.

I gotta tell you, I never feel more like a Duggar than on food threads. My thanksgiving traditions are so very very duggar - Jello, mushroom soup, Parmesan pull aparts.

You are killing me over here.

OMG it's a mitzvah.  A one word mitzvah.  I'm all verklempt.

the rule is to not one word thing which are the same as an up/down vote.  

You can't make a vote convey snot. :)

the irony of me using too few words would be kind of hilarious.  

Archived