IGNORED

Trump 7 - Cheeto in Charge

samurai_sarah

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an FYI, for those not watching so they don't contribute to the 'most bigly watched inauguration in history ever' statistics: make sure you have your TV on, but turned to a channel not broadcasting the inauguration. That will ensure your personal contribution to the percentage of TV watchers watching something else.

Keep in mind DVR counts as part of the 'yuge watchers' percentage too.

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

Working.  Had this been, say, our first woman president I would have taken the day off of work to celebrate and watch.  This?  Nope.

I was thinking on Monday, this should have been one of the happiest weeks of my life.  Instead...

5 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

You can watch it on mute with closed captioning. That's what I do when I can't stand the speaker's voice. Also, I'm sure that the Washington Post will do live updates and follow up with a full transcript.

I wasn't planning on watching, but I might try this.  The sound of his voice really irritates me.  Can't wait to see Rachel Maddow's show tomorrow night!

2 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Since Russia is currently being upheld as the "Family Values" standard that we should emulate in certain Christian circles, I am not surprised at this move. Russia is working to decriminalize some forms of domestic violence:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/13/europe/russia-domestic-violence/index.html

I remember this piece from a couple years ago about the Russian Orthodox Church's role in all this ;

forbes.com/sites/paulcoyer/2015/05/21/unholy-alliance-vladimir-putin-and-the-russian-orthodox-church/#4d626e516881

Amidst the geopolitical confrontation between Vladimir Putin's Russia and the US and its allies, little attention has been paid to the role played by religion either as a shaper of Russian domestic politics or as a means of understanding Putin's international actions. The role of religion has long tended to get short thrift in the study of statecraft (although it has been experiencing a bit of a renaissance of late), yet nowhere has it played a more prominent role – and perhaps nowhere has its importance been more unrecognized - than in its role in supporting the Russian state and Russia's current place in world affairs.

And while much attention has been paid to the growing authoritarianism of the Kremlin and on the support for Putin's regime on the part of the Russian oligarchs whom Putin has enriched through his crony capitalism, little has been paid to the equally critical role of the Russian Orthodox Church in helping to shape Russia's current system, and in supporting Putin's regime and publicly conflating the mission of the Russian state under Vladimir Putin's leadership with the mission of the Church. Putin's move in close coordination with the Russian Orthodox Church to sacralize the Russian national identity has been a key factor shaping the increasingly authoritarian bent of the Russian government under Putin, and strengthening his public support, and must be understood in order to understand Russia's international behavior.

The close relationship between the Russian Orthodox Church (ROC) and the Russian state based upon a shared, theologically-informed vision of Russian exceptionalism is not a new phenomenon. During the days of the Czar, the Russian ruler was seen as God's chosen ruler of a Russian nation tasked with representing a unique set of value embodied by Russian Orthodoxy, and was revered as “the Holy Orthodox Czar”. Today, a not dissimilar vision of Russian exceptionalism is once again shared by the ROC and the Kremlin, and many Russians are beginning to see Vladimir Putin in a similar vein – a perception encouraged both by Putin and by the Church, each of which sees the other as a valuable political ally and sees their respective missions as being interrelated.

The 70 plus years of Soviet rule wreaked havoc on the Church. The Church was severely oppressed, with many of its clergy imprisoned, tortured and/or executed. Parts of it were also co-opted by the Soviet state, with many clergy becoming KGB informants. (It has long been rumored that Kirill, the current Patriarch, or “Pope”, if you will, of the ROC, has KGB connections. And given that Putin served for a time during the 1980's in the KGB's Fifth Directorate, which was responsible for oversight of religious groups, it is possible that the two men have known each other for thirty years.) As soon as the Soviet Union fell in 1991, the ROC began working to rebuild its formerly dominant role in Russian society. At first, it had competition for religious adherents and for influence in the religious sphere in Russia. In the newly open environment of the 1990's, a flood of Western missionaries, including evangelicals, Catholics, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc., set up missions in the former Soviet Union, and in the spiritual vacuum that accompanied the fall of the atheistic Soviet system these missionaries found fertile and receptive ground, causing the ROC to fear that its opportunity to rebuild its social influence would be short-circuited and it would be merely one of many religious bodies in Russia - not the dominant religious institution and culture shaper. In response, the ROC successfully pushed the government to pass a law in 1997 that restricted the freedom of religious practice of faiths considered “foreign” in origin and put the ROC back in the driver's seat in terms of its ability to shape of the emerging national culture.

I'm planning on recording something else during his actual inauguration. I refuse to be associated with anything Trump related. Just earlier my mom told me to flip on CNN and it had the ceremony already started and I was like okay tv is getting turned off now.

20 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

I remember this piece from a couple years ago about the Russian Orthodox Church's role in all this ;

forbes.com/sites/paulcoyer/2015/05/21/unholy-alliance-vladimir-putin-and-the-russian-orthodox-church/#4d626e516881

Thank you! I keep forgetting that lots of Americans are unaware of the changes that have happened in Russia, and your article is very helpful in that regard. :pb_smile:

3 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

Thank you! I keep forgetting that lots of Americans are unaware of the changes that have happened in Russia, and your article is very helpful in that regard. :pb_smile:

Well thanks to Faux News, hate radio, and the demise of education most Americans barely know their asses from holes in the ground.

51 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Well thanks to Faux News, hate radio, and the demise of education most Americans barely know their asses from holes in the ground.

Spoiler

tumblr_o9igouRql51ue85vuo1_1280.jpg

15 minutes ago, Childless said:

Russia is a hell hole.  I would never want to live there or any place like it.

So I've heard.  I few years ago I had thought about doing a tour of Russia as my next overseas adventure but then thought better of it after learning about the  direction the Russian government was taking.  Such as towards LGBT, or dissenters.  Pussy Riot comes to mind there.  As long as it's a dictatorship run by Vlad Putines nope.

I won't be watching the shit show tomorrow either. It's a vacation day for me and I'm getting my hair cut followed by lunch with my Democrat cousin. I'll avoid the major networks in the morning and will be away from a tv most of the afternoon.  Also, still hoping it's all been a nightmare. If it isn't, then our long national nightmare is just beginning.

Some local women in my small county will be having a meeting on Saturday morning, so I'll be attending that anyway. I wish I could attend a national march, but I'm too far away. I hope all of you that are going to a big march have lots of fun and shout your views loud!

36 minutes ago, HeathenBlondie said:

Also, still hoping it's all been a nightmare. If it isn't, then our long national nightmare is just beginning.

In case anyone is wondering, the name of our next thread will be this. I'm waiting til tomorrow to open it.

Fucking hell. ....just, FUCK. I can't believe this is real life.

Weather means I can't attend any of the marches, so you ladies, wave your sign once for me, and shout a little louder for me too. I'm with you in spirit.

I suspected that one of my friends was a trump supporter but we had a silent don't ask don't tell policy (although it's obvious who I supported ). On fb today she posted that she didn't want to see any negative posts tomorrow about politics /the inauguration.  :annoyed: she had no previous political posts at all and she lives in a blue state so I decided to not ask her before the election. 

Then others start chiming in supporting her and saying we need to support America!!!! And a mutual friend said how the losers need to stop their whining.  :my_angry:  Now I'm pissed. :5624795307fe5_32(5): and we don't have an emoticon with any rude gestures! !!

We have a practice space for bands in our basement.

There's a band playing right now. They're practicing their version of Hail to the Chief. They will be playing it at their show tomorrow night  

It's meant to be ironic.;)

Nevertheless, it's making me sick.

I just assumed (and we all know what that spells!) that we would hate-watch together.  Our snark might actually stop the internet from functioning.

From a brief look at the timetable, it appears Oompah Loompah will be speaking from maybe 12 - 1230 ET?  Might have it on for sound, might not, certainly this entire thing is weird and odd.

I am very concerned for safety of everyone attending tomorrow and Saturday.  But I am a worry-wort.

And I know SNL will nail it, for sure.

DD is attending a march on Saturday-weather permitting as she has a crap immune system. I'm worried about her due to one of her nicknames is the "mouth of the south."

And this will be tomorrow.

ItBeginsTomorrow.png

On 1/18/2017 at 0:10 PM, GreyhoundFan said:

I guess when you are a narcissist and an idiot, you don't look up to anyone AND you can't string together two coherent thoughts: "Donald Trump was asked to name one of his heroes. His answer was very, very strange."

Having a hero means that you think someone is better person than you are, or is able to do things that you yourself couldn't do. Trump thinks he is the greatest at everything. Since no one is better than he is, how could he look up to anyone and admire them?

I won't be watching TV tomorrow. He makes me sick. I can't believe this is happening. I didn't want to believe there was so much stupidity and hatred in our country, but clearly I was wrong.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/19/politics/trump-jeffress-pastor/index.html

A pastor with a long history of inflammatory remarks about Muslims, Mormons, Catholics and gays is scheduled to preach at a private service for President-elect Trump and his family on Friday, shortly before Trump takes the oath of office.

Jeffress leads a 12,000-member megachurch in Dallas and is a frequent guest on Fox News. But to many Americans, he may be best known for his frequent condemnations of Mormonism as a "cult" during the 2012 presidential campaign. He urged Christians not to vote for Mitt Romney, a Mormon, during the Republican primary. He later supported Romney over President Barack Obama.

Jeffress has also called Islam and Mormonism heresies "from the pit of hell," suggested that the Catholic church was led astray by Satan, accused Obama of "paving the way" for the Antichrist and spread false statistics about the prevalence of HIV among gays, who he said live a "miserable" and "filthy" lifestyle.

This is just what Trump needs before talking about how he's going to unify the country.  Great.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived