IGNORED

PBS reports on forced marriages in the US (former fundamentalist Christian testimony)

solacetea

It isn't the fussy newborn aspect of a baby that would make them supposedly worthy of that though or that the baby was being deliberately evil, it's the whole we're all human, all sinners, all not worthy of God/heaven without Jesus' grace/salvation and so on.  Original sin.  Add in sins that humans commit and our fallen nature gets worse and we're all definitely doomed to hellfire if we don't accept Jesus. Eternal torment, nails, fire, the works.

/Not my mindset, but one I know well from others.

It's screwed up.  If someone's raised with it then it can seem less messed up and more just the natural order of things. The way I read it him looking at his newborn was the first time he went "This is bollocks" rather than that his newborn's behaviour or sin made him think they deserved it.

Some of you are calling him wicked, evil, or mentally ill for having those thoughts. Have you never been up with a screaming baby in the middle of the night, so sleep-deprived your body is on fire with pain, practically hallucinating with fatigue? I never thought of a nail, but I distinctly remember a very strong urge to slam my child onto the crib mattress. And I am a well-educated, reasonably sane, reasonably insightful woman with lots of financial and emotional support from others.

I didn't do it. Neither did he. We both were aware, on some level, that those thoughts were crazy and we didn't act on them.

I write this because I am concerned about the judgmental attitudes in this thread. I don't think middle-of-the-night-with-screaming-baby fantasies are that uncommon. People suffering from them need help and support, not judgment. I would hate for someone to read this thread and then not ask for help because of shame about their fantasies.

HE DIDN'T ACT.

54 minutes ago, livinginthelight said:

Some of you are calling him wicked, evil, or mentally ill for having those thoughts. Have you never been up with a screaming baby in the middle of the night, so sleep-deprived your body is on fire with pain, practically hallucinating with fatigue? I never thought of a nail, but I distinctly remember a very strong urge to slam my child onto the crib mattress. And I am a well-educated, reasonably sane, reasonably insightful woman with lots of financial and emotional support from others.

I didn't do it. Neither did he. We both were aware, on some level, that those thoughts were crazy and we didn't act on them.

I write this because I am concerned about the judgmental attitudes in this thread. I don't think middle-of-the-night-with-screaming-baby fantasies are that uncommon. People suffering from them need help and support, not judgment. I would hate for someone to read this thread and then not ask for help because of shame about their fantasies.

HE DIDN'T ACT.

In fact I didn't scream "stone him" or something, this is what I thought

On 1/12/2016 at 0:38 PM, laPapessaGiovanna said:

To me the whole piece sounds like exaggerated fanfiction. I know from experience that when a weeks old baby cries nonstop for hours and days the only thing you want is that she shuts up. You desperately need to hear silence again. The instinct would be to shake baby until she shuts up or cover baby's mouth to make her shut up. The difference between the sane parent and the murderous one is that the first goes for a walk/a shower/a chocolate bar/runs for help, the second one followes through. 

I absolutely recognised that a newborn crying nonstop can push people over the edge. I was extremely distressed by my crying baby. I just said that this particular narration sounded fake to me because I felt a streak of cruelty that sounded over the top.

But probably @Jozina explanation got the meaning of it much better. I have no first hand knowledge of this sort of fundie thought.

7 hours ago, Howl said:

I'd also like to say here that Doug Wilson is likely just a regular heterosexual male, who, when he acted out sexually, did it with a woman.  

Oooops, when I wrote that, I meant Doug PHILLIPS, not Doug Wilson.  Been following too much about Doug Wilson.  

Archived