IGNORED

the Cult Next Door Movie

formergothardite

23 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I think RG might have scans of the Wisdom Booklets.

Thanks.  Yes, they do have many pages scanned and a lot of info explaining it.  Those articles are  tagged "False Teaching" if anyone wants to find them.  http://www.recoveringgrace.org/tag/false-teaching/

I suppose I  want to read the Wisdom books all the way through without buying them.  They are quite expensive on Ebay!  If anyone has a set perhaps we should start an FJ library. :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just watched this too. I had no idea the person who made it was in high school at the time.

It's a good start, but I think Bill Gothard's lawsuits could easily be a feature length documentary. I really hope someone decides to take this on and make a full fledged doc out of it. There's certainly enough material to do so. 

I thought it was great for a high schooler. The problem is I want someone older and more well known to do one so the cult can be publicized. I also think that the abuse was covered too lightly, there was/is heavy physical, emotional, spiritual and sexual abuse going on but the physical abuse was never mentioned. 

On 11/27/2016 at 10:25 AM, Four is Enough said:

Such hubris. "One of the joys of being here this week is knowing that we have, for each one of you, THE answer."

Makes me stabby.

That's an awkward sentence.

There's no one fits all answer to life.

• 8 months later...

Thanks for sharing. It's really chilling... I was watching the 70s version of the Handmaid's Tale and it reminded me of this... but not in fiction, tragically in real life.

2 hours ago, Beermeet said:

Anyone familiar with this story or the camp?

Not with this particular story, but there are lots of stories out there about abuse within IBLP. A reporter investigated the Indianapolis training center for abuse. The Log Cabin program appears to be another version of what they did in Indianapolis, just in Oklahoma. 

https://www.wthr.com/article/dark-secrets

Those more unknown IBLP camps are shocking.  The parents literally gave up their blessing.  The more known camps like JTTH and ALERT seem freaky enough.  How do they get away with it?  Like Scientology does, I guess.    

15 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

How do they get away with it?  Like Scientology does, I guess.    

I'm not sure they have them now since the cult is much smaller and had to sell a lot of the training centers, but they were able to get away with a hell of a lot back in the day. IBLP ran some sort of orphan program in Russia too that was apparently horrifying. 

Archived