IGNORED

the Cult Next Door Movie

formergothardite

On 1/2/2017 at 6:48 AM, LadyCrow1313 said:

This will make for an interesting movie.

On a side note, in the above picture, Mr Bill (with apologies to the SNL Claymation character) reminds me of the creepy preacher guy from Poltergeist 2. (You know, the old man with a black hat & skull-like appearance.)

That character creeped me out as a kid. A couple of years ago, Encore or Starz did a Poltergeist marathon. I DVR'd the movies and watched them over a weekend and that preacher creeped me out again.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so excited for this - I've been watching for a release date and it looks like it'll be good. About time too.

Meanwhile Gothard is still claiming innocence - I don't have any words for him.

18 hours ago, lilwriter85 said:

That character creeped me out as a kid. A couple of years ago, Encore or Starz did a Poltergeist marathon. I DVR'd the movies and watched them over a weekend and that preacher creeped me out again.

The third Poltergeist movie (in the office building) was crap (as some/most sequels are; not all are, of course), & the dude they used for the preacher guy (I think the original one may have died) just didn't have the same creepy effect like the one in the second movie.

Divorce causes asthma?

Sweet Jesus.

These people are as thick as pig shit. 

So, if divorce causes asthma, why did my mother have it. She was a SAHM and a saint. My parents were married 40 years before she died in 2007. Fuck you Gothard!

On 1/4/2017 at 2:59 PM, RosyDaisy said:

So, if divorce causes asthma, why did my mother have it. She was a SAHM and a saint. My parents were married 40 years before she died in 2007. Fuck you Gothard!

Generational sins. According to good ole Bill, it could have been caused by her parents divorce, or her grandparents divorce.....or any divorce...or any sin really that happened in generations before. Because reasons! :my_dodgy:

Gonna try to watch this on Vimeo tonight. Anybody else on here going to watch?

I just plowed through "Homeschool Dropouts" so not right away.  Maybe tomorrow.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:31 PM, mango_fandango said:

Divorce causes asthma?

Sweet Jesus.

I was born with asthma.  My parents weren't divorced, and neither was I, so what gives?

People sure are crazy when they get religion.

55 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Probably not tonight but later this week I think.

1 hour ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Probably tomorrow instead.

In case it's not clear (as it wasn't initially clear to me), the film was officially released today. Here's the link to the page on Vimeo. He's also got a making of video on Vimeo as well.

Wow; I wondered if I have a Vimeo account, but yes I do. Cool! Gotta give my thanks to any readers who were involved in making this. It is SO scary how they got sucked in. Thanks Metheglyn for posting it.

I watched the documentary. Overall, the history of Gothard, how he came on the scene at the perfect time to "help" parents who wanted to raise godly children was helpful. Micah Murray was good. He explained things well. It would have been good to include a testimony or two from women Gothard sexually victimized, rather than spend the time on the woman who wondered if it really happened.  What was completely lacking was Gothard's creepiness, his foot fetish, obsession with long wavy/curly hair, the very strange rules. 

11 minutes ago, Jezzable said:

I watched the documentary. Overall, the history of Gothard, how he came on the scene at the perfect time to "help" parents who wanted to raise godly children was helpful. Micah Murray was good. He explained things well. It would have been good to include a testimony or two from women Gothard sexually victimized, rather than spend the time on the woman who wondered if it really happened.  What was completely lacking was Gothard's creepiness, his foot fetish, obsession with long wavy/curly hair, the very strange rules. 

I agree. The documentary could have easily been an hour if there had been time spent on Bill Gothard as a man, as well as the specific rules.

Yeah, it was a little bare-bones. Easily could have been an hour long if they had taken more time to do background and show some of the history, maybe  see more about what it's like to be on the inside and look at the future of the organization. As it was, I thought the interviewees were interesting.

I agree with the posters before me. I watched it and i thought it was lacking substance. It could have been so much more investigative and in depth. I think it had a good starting point but then kept building up in a very dramatic way and never got to the point it was trying to get across. It was kind of all over the place, his teachings, his wrongdoings, the impact on families, the duggar family, audio of his speaking, organization of ATI/IBLP . Just a lot for 30 minutes. I'm kind of disappointed, it felt more like a 30 minute trailer than a movie .

10 minutes ago, itsme said:

it felt more like a 30 minute trailer than a movie

That is how I felt too. I felt like I kept waiting for it to really start, but it never did. 

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:59 PM, RosyDaisy said:

So, if divorce causes asthma, why did m mother have it. She was a SAHM and a saint. My parents were married 40 years before she died in 2007. Fuck you Gothard!

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:31 PM, mango_fandango said:

Divorce causes asthma?

Sweet Jesus.

My brother had asthma, but that was before my parents got divorced. He subsequently got divorced later on, & so did my sister (twice). Could that mean that he had childhood/adulthood asthma because of future divorcing events?

That makes as much sense as using a tissue to clean up after a chemical spill. :2wankers:

12 hours ago, Jezzable said:

Given the pending lawsuit the victims would almost certainly have been advised by counsel not to participate in this film.  There was a plug for RG at the end so people unaware of the story could do some followup.

I thought it was a pretty good overview and TBH that was all I expected in 30 minutes.  For a high school senior I thought Jake Youngman did an excellent job, although some of the editing felt a bit choppy.  I see it as a start and perhaps, with more funding in the future, there could be a sequel and the story could be expanded and improved.

I thought everyone interviewed was good, but agree that Micah Murray came over exceptionally well.  Thoughtful, balanced, but very clear that IBLP is a destructive cult and survivors have a long road to recovery.

ETA.  I wish more time had been spent on the idiocies of the Wisdom booklets.  I paused the screen a couple of times but they flipped by very fast and the images weren't that clear.

Do we have scans of them anywhere on FJ - I've seen various pages in different places but not the whole books anywhere.

33 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

For a high school senior I thought Jake Youngman did an excellent job, although some of the editing felt a bit choppy.  

I thought I read he was a college student. Where do you see he's a high school student?

18 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Well for a highschool student it was really good. 

I thought so too.  I wasn't very optimistic when I saw that he was still in high school but he did a very good job.

I think RG might have scans of the Wisdom Booklets.

Archived