Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
formergothardite

the Cult Next Door Movie

Recommended Posts

Meh
formergothardite

I searched but didn't see where this movie had been discussed. It is a documentary about IBLP. I can't wait to see it. The movie comes out in 2017. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Four is Enough

Such hubris. "One of the joys of being here this week is knowing that we have, for each one of you, THE answer."

Makes me stabby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Howl

@formergothardite, thank you for posting this.  Seeing footage of Bill Gothard speaking gives me chills, and not in a good way. So much evil lurking in such an innocuous looking package. 

I hope this documentary gets excellent traction and is tied to the Duggars and other reality show families who are IBLP.  I'll definitely go see it. 

Edited by Howl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HRM1216

I hope this documentary is as good as it looks. I feel for every family who fell victim to such a vile man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Astonished
Soulhuntress

Looks like a great documentary!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lilwriter85
3 hours ago, Howl said:

@formergothardite, thank you for posting this.  Seeing footage of Bill Gothard speaking gives me chills, and not in a good way. So much evil lurking in such an innocuous looking package. 

I hope this documentary gets excellent traction and is tied to the Duggars and other reality show families who are IBLP.  I'll definitely go see it. 

This is what i hope for the most. The Duggars should have brought down completely before the Josh scandals. I'm now hoping that non-fundie people will actually see what the Duggars are tied to and will ditch them for good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19BabyGerkins
Just now, lilwriter85 said:

This is what i hope for the most. The Duggars should have brought down completely before the Josh scandals. I'm now hoping that non-fundie people will actually see what the Duggars are tied to and will ditch them for good.

 

Ifeel bad because not alll people within IBLP are bad people, and I truley believe SOME good  has been done by people who came up through ATI but I think we are at a point where there is more "bathwater than baby" so to speak and its hard to separate when throing it out ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lilwriter85
7 minutes ago, 19BabyGerkins said:

Ifeel bad because not alll people within IBLP are bad people, and I truley believe SOME good  has been done by people who came up through ATI but I think we are at a point where there is more "bathwater than baby" so to speak and its hard to separate when throing it out ;)

 

I agree not all of them are bad.  The Duggars are the ones that really piss me off for various reasons. As much as I dislike the Duggars,  they and ATI have done some good with the volunteer work. It reminds me a bit of Scienotlogy, not all Scientologists are bad and there have been Scienotology groups who have done assistance with disasters. I think I'm just hoping that the Duggars will completely be off TV in the next couple of years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meh
formergothardite

Not all IBLP people are bad, but the bad done by this cult can't make up for the tiny bit of good. Both the Duggars and the Bates need to be shoved off television and have their beliefs realized by the world.

Despite what the Duggars went through, it seems a lot of people still view them as just a conservative Christian family who made a "mistake". And very few people outside of FJ seem to realize that the Bates moved quickly up the IBLP ladder and now help run this horrible cult. 

Here is the third trailer that shows Gothard claiming divorce causes asthma. IBLP may allowe pants on women/girls, but they are still teaching all this crazy stuff. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19BabyGerkins
2 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Not all IBLP people are bad, but the bad done by this cult can't make up for the tiny bit of good. Both the Duggars and the Bates need to be shoved off television and have their beliefs realized by the world.

Despite what the Duggars went through, it seems a lot of people still view them as just a conservative Christian family who made a "mistake". And very few people outside of FJ seem to realize that the Bates moved quickly up the IBLP ladder and now help run this horrible cult. 

Here is the third trailer that shows Gothard claiming divorce causes asthma. IBLP may allowe pants on women/girls, but they are still teaching all this crazy stuff. 

 

2

When did they allow pants???????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Howl

The IBLP belief that victims of sexual abuse, even young children, are somehow at least partly responsible for that abuse is beyond vile.  No one is saying that there aren't good people, it's that some of the beliefs are so inherently damaging they simply must be called out for what they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meh
formergothardite
3 minutes ago, 19BabyGerkins said:

When did they allow pants???????????

For about the last 10 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19BabyGerkins
9 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

For about the last 10 years. 

Serioulsy? LOL I was for sure they still were skirts only.  I'd say "who knew" but apparently you all did LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waffle Time
Palimpsest

 

18 hours ago, lilwriter85 said:

I agree not all of them are bad.  The Duggars are the ones that really piss me off for various reasons. As much as I dislike the Duggars,  they and ATI have done some good with the volunteer work. It reminds me a bit of Scienotlogy, not all Scientologists are bad and there have been Scienotology groups who have done assistance with disasters. I think I'm just hoping that the Duggars will completely be off TV in the next couple of years

Problem is that with both cults the "volunteer work" comes with strings.  The Duggars really do fuck all (except feel good themselves) on their silly mission trips, and the IBLP/ATI prison ministry is just trying to indoctrinate inmates in the Character curriculum.  As for ALERT and those disaster relief excursions - they are taking advantage of grief stricken people in crisis to proselytize.  It is very similar to Scientologists with their so-called spiritual relief and assists.

In both cases they aren't there to assist so much as they are looking for "raw meat."

Absolutely the problems are with the leadership rather than the individual cult members - but individual cult members can still do a lot of damage.

Edited by Palimpsest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hoipolloi

As long as the cult members are doing Gothard's bidding in anything, it's hard to see them as good.

They are, at best, mindless automatons.

That clip of Michael Pearl blathering his shite was disgusting. Lest we forget, he & Debi have had a lovehate relationship with Gothard over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VelociRapture
18 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Not all IBLP people are bad, but the bad done by this cult can't make up for the tiny bit of good. Both the Duggars and the Bates need to be shoved off television and have their beliefs realized by the world.

Despite what the Duggars went through, it seems a lot of people still view them as just a conservative Christian family who made a "mistake". And very few people outside of FJ seem to realize that the Bates moved quickly up the IBLP ladder and now help run this horrible cult. 

Here is the third trailer that shows Gothard claiming divorce causes asthma. IBLP may allowe pants on women/girls, but they are still teaching all this crazy stuff. 

 

That made me stabby. My sister and Aunt have/had asthma - my parents and grandparents are still married. My dad's parents divorced back in the mid-1950's. Guess who doesn't have asthma?!

And I honestly want to see the Bateses taken down way more than the Duggars. Both are bad, but the Bateses are far more dangerous and deceptive.

Do we know where this is being released? In theatres or online or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wine time!
HeadshipRegent

Ooo, cool! That's definitely something I'd watch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quiversR4hunting

I'll watch it (if it comes to my area or cable provider)!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waffle Time
Palimpsest

I think we already discussed this here but I didn't realize that Youngman was still in high school.  It looks pretty darn professional in the trailers.

Previous thread:  

Trailer:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mischievous
LadyCrow1313
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 6:50 PM, formergothardite said:

Not all IBLP people are bad, but the bad done by this cult can't make up for the tiny bit of good. Both the Duggars and the Bates need to be shoved off television and have their beliefs realized by the world.

Despite what the Duggars went through, it seems a lot of people still view them as just a conservative Christian family who made a "mistake". And very few people outside of FJ seem to realize that the Bates moved quickly up the IBLP ladder and now help run this horrible cult. 

Here is the third trailer that shows Gothard claiming divorce causes asthma. IBLP may allowe pants on women/girls, but they are still teaching all this crazy stuff. 

 

This will make for an interesting movie.

On a side note, in the above picture, Mr Bill (with apologies to the SNL Claymation character) reminds me of the creepy preacher guy from Poltergeist 2. (You know, the old man with a black hat & skull-like appearance.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
meep

Thanks, mods! Also, yeah, I had heard of this movie but I did not connect the two because it's so professional looking! Good on this young man! I hope it does really well! (I think he has a good future ahead of him!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BabyBottlePop
On November 27, 2016 at 6:57 PM, formergothardite said:

For about the last 10 years. 

I could see people still wearing skirts to be holier than the rule (cough cough Duggars).

But in all seriousness can't wait to see this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.